|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the result to Richard Daley from the unusual circumstance of Clarence Wagner dropping out of the contest for Chairman of the Cook County Democratic Central Committee?
(a) Daley was both feared and respected by the hard fighting politicians in Chicago.
(b) Richard Daley became Chairman of the Cook County Democratic Party.
(c) Daley was seen as an uncouth opportunist who took advantage of the misfortunes of his political opponenets.
(d) Richard Daley was suspected of being corrupt and unworthy of trust for several years.
2. What was the first stop that Richard Daley made everyday?
(a) A convenience store for a newspaper and a cup of coffee.
(b) A local coffee shop for a doughnut.
(c) St. Peter's for Daily Mass.
(d) Chicago City Hall.
3. Richard Daley became connected with a judge named Abraham Lincoln Marovitz. How did they meet?
(a) They met when Daley took his only defense stand against Marovitz.
(b) They met when Marovitz was prosecuting one of Daley's gangster friends.
(c) They met at the wedding of Daley and his wife.
(d) They met when Marovitz was a young prosecutor and Daley was a clerk in the City Council.
4. Why did some members of the Cook County Democratic Central Committee believe that Richard Daley was not suited for the position of Chairman?
(a) He was thought to be indecisive.
(b) Some saw him as too liberal.
(c) He was too conservative.
(d) His professional background was considered to be to controversial.
5. What supplemental role did the Chicago Police Department perform for Richard Daley?
(a) It would accomany him to important public meetings.
(b) It made itself available for security to the Democrat Party.
(c) It acted as his spy division.
(d) It provided security for visiting dignitaries.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was among the influences for which Vito Marzullo was well known?
2. What did Royko describe as Richard Daley's character traits?
3. Why did Royko suggest that immigrants were tolerant of Richard Daley's abuses of power?
4. What was among the promises that Daley made during the campaign?
5. Who was the Democrat official who became a rival to Daley in his climb to the chairmanship of the Democratic Central Committee?
Short Essay Questions
1. What infamous Chicago event took place in 1919 the day after Richard Daley graduated from his post-high school training and why was it important to Daley's story?
2. What was Richard Daley's first achievement as Mayor of Chicago in 1956?
3. How did Richard Daley become a candidate for his first election and for what party was he elected?
4. What event caused violence to increase during protests against Chicago's segregation?
5. What was the "Battle of Michigan Avenue"?
6. What were some of the things that police were involved in that made the Chicago Police Department corrupt?
7. Who was Richard Daley's opponent for the campaign for his fourth term as mayor and what were the issues the opponent raised during the campaign?
8. Who was Richard Daley's first opponent in the 1955 Chicago mayoral election and what made him a good candidate against Daley?
9. What was Richard Daley's response when a commission ruled the Chicago Police Department was to treat African-Americans the same as whites?
10. What was the event that set the stage for violent confrontations at the 1968 Democrat National Convention scheduled for Chicago?
This section contains 979 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)