|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happened when Richard Daley ran for his second term?
(a) Corruption and segregation caused him to be narrowly defeated by Robert Merriam.
(b) The election ended in a draw and Daley ended up being selected by the Chicago City Council.
(c) He chose to step aside and run for state senate.
(d) He was overwhelmingly re-elected.
2. To what or whom did Royko compare Richard Daley's character?
(a) John F. Kennedy.
(b) George Washington.
(c) A kindly father figure.
(d) The City of Chicago.
3. What were the qualifications that a ward committeeman had to prove to get appointed to the head of a city department?
(a) They had to have an attractive resume filled with achievements that could be verified.
(b) They had to have or be working toward a master's degree related to the position for which they were contending.
(c) A clean criminal background and at lease five years experience in a related field.
(d) They had to deliver huge number of votes for Democrat candidates.
4. Richard Daley became connected with a judge named Abraham Lincoln Marovitz. How did they meet?
(a) They met when Daley took his only defense stand against Marovitz.
(b) They met when Marovitz was prosecuting one of Daley's gangster friends.
(c) They met at the wedding of Daley and his wife.
(d) They met when Marovitz was a young prosecutor and Daley was a clerk in the City Council.
5. What was the most important rule Richard Daley learned from Joe McDonough?
(a) Keep a stiff upper lip.
(b) Don't call us, we'll call you.
(c) Don't look back, something may be gaining on you.
(d) Don't get caught.
Short Answer Questions
1. What would ward committeemen do if they could not win election to an additional public office?
2. Why did some members of the Cook County Democratic Central Committee believe that Richard Daley was not suited for the position of Chairman?
3. What was one of the issues that members of the Democratic Central Committee used to oppose Richard Daley during his campaign to become Chairman of the Cook County Democratic Central Committee?
4. What is the relationship between the precinct captain and the ward committeeman in the Cook County Democratic Party?
5. What did Richard Daley leave behind after his death?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the result of the turmoil during the 1968 Democratic National Convention to Richard Daley's personal popularity?
2. Why did leading contenders for the Democratic presidential nomination of 1972 congratulate Richard Daley on his 1971 election victory?
3. What are two daily rituals that Richard Daley had on his trip to work?
4. How did Richard Daley respond to rumors of an anti-war faction planning to cause trouble at the 1968 Democrat National Convention?
5. What was the Democratic Central Committee and how did Richard Daley become a part of it?
6. What is nepotism and how did Richard Daley use it?
7. What are some of the ethnic neighborhoods that Richard Daley passed through as he was being driven to work everyday that he was Mayor of Chicago?
8. What was the event that set the stage for violent confrontations at the 1968 Democrat National Convention scheduled for Chicago?
9. Who was Abraham Lincoln Marovitz and how did he become acquainted with Richard Daley?
10. What were Richard Daley's two contrasting moral positions that Mike Royko detailed in the Introduction?
This section contains 1,002 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)