|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What would ward committeemen do if they could not win election to an additional public office?
(a) They would operate their own business that was given preferential treatment by the city government.
(b) They were given prime jobs running city departments.
(c) They would give themselves the best patronage jobs.
(d) They would make additional money running a protection racket through the Chicago Police Department.
2. What is the topic for Chapter II?
(a) Richard Daley's rough life.
(b) Chicago and organized crime.
(c) Richard Daley comes of age.
(d) Chicago models apartied.
3. What did people have to do to stay safe in Chicago while Richard Daley was growing up?
(a) Stay in their own neighborhood with their own kind.
(b) Speak softly and carry a big stick.
(c) Show courtesy to women and children.
(d) Wear safety helmets.
4. Who was the last elected Chicago Mayor before Richard Daley?
(a) Robert Merriam.
(b) Vito Marzullo.
(c) Dan Rostenkowski.
(d) Martin Kennelly.
5. How did Royko describe Richard Daley's response to political brawls in Chicago?
(a) He would take sides and use his power to crush his opponents.
(b) He'd sit in the middle of it all and and look as happy as a kid at a birthday party.
(c) He would ignore it had let it take its course.
(d) He would call a truce and negotiate between the warring factions.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the result of Richard Daley's hard work with the Democratic Central Committee?
2. Who was among the more famous ward committeemen from the South Side of Chicago?
3. What was the reputation of the mayor who preceded Richard Daley?
4. What was Richard Daley's advice to city officials getting money on the sly?
5. Richard Daley had a role in getting Abraham Marovitz appointed to what position?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Mike Royko believe will come of the memory of Richard Daley's reign as Mayor of Chicago?
2. What did Richard Daley's 1971 election victory mean for political observers around the country?
3. What were some of the things that police were involved in that made the Chicago Police Department corrupt?
4. Who was Richard Daley's first opponent in the 1955 Chicago mayoral election and what made him a good candidate against Daley?
5. What was the school that Richard Daley attended after high school and what sort of skills did that school teach?
6. What is nepotism and how did Richard Daley use it?
7. What was Richard Daley's first achievement as Mayor of Chicago in 1956?
8. What was Richard Daley's strategy regarding dirty campaigning?
9. Who opposed Richard Daley's candidacy for Cook County Democratic Chairman, and how did Daley end up getting the position?
10. What was a rumor the Democratic Machine spread about Alderman Robert Merriam to help Richard Daley's win the 1955 mayoral election?
This section contains 782 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)