|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What role did Joe McDonough play in shaping Richard Daley's political career?
(a) He taught Daley the ins and outs of Chicago's political machine.
(b) He chose Daley as his Chief of Staff.
(c) He rented a room to Daley so he could get to work on time.
(d) He introduced Daley to his wife.
2. What personal relationship was Richard Daley maintaining that gave him the incentive to do well when he was working for Joe McDonough in the Cook County Treasurer's Office?
(a) He started doing business with Joe Kennedy.
(b) He began dating his future wife, Eleanor.
(c) He served as liaison between Al Capone and his syndicate while he was in prison.
(d) He began working with a young politician named Adalai Stevenson.
3. What was one of the issues that members of the Democratic Central Committee used to oppose Richard Daley during his campaign to become Chairman of the Cook County Democratic Central Committee?
(a) Richard Daley was too liberal and too connected to new Democrats.
(b) Richard Daley favored immigration control.
(c) Richard Daley wanted to limit the influence of the Federal Government.
(d) Richard Daley wanted to crack down harder on crime.
4. Who was among the more famous ward committeemen from the South Side of Chicago?
(a) Abraham Marovitz.
(b) Adalai Stevenson.
(c) Al Capone.
(d) Vito Marzullo.
5. What did Royko state disturbed Richard Daley?
(a) Anti-war protestors.
(b) Public displays of immorality.
(c) His friends being caught in corruption.
Short Answer Questions
1. Richard Daley and who else knew how many patronage jobs existed?
2. What was the result to Richard Daley from the unusual circumstance of Clarence Wagner dropping out of the contest for Chairman of the Cook County Democratic Central Committee?
3. What defined the geographic areas of Chicago?
4. What was the label that was given to those who had similar views to Richard Daley in the Cook County Democratic Party?
5. What did Richard Daley provide these organizations to maintain their support?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Richard Daley's opponent for the campaign for his fourth term as mayor and what were the issues the opponent raised during the campaign?
2. What were the three types of party officials in a precinct for the Cook County Democratic Party and what did they expect from their efforts?
3. What were three scandals that plagued the Chicago Police Department in 1959 and 1960?
4. What was the "Battle of Michigan Avenue"?
5. How were Chicago neighborhoods like small towns when Richard Daley was growing up?
6. Who was Abraham Lincoln Marovitz and how did he become acquainted with Richard Daley?
7. What types of jobs did ward committeemen hold?
8. What are two daily rituals that Richard Daley had on his trip to work?
9. What were some of the things that police were involved in that made the Chicago Police Department corrupt?
10. Where was Richard Daley customarily dropped off in the early years that he was Mayor of Chicago to make his regular stops before he went to City Hall, and why was that drop-off point changed?
This section contains 969 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)