|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chicago City Hall, Richard Daley was known by all of the following except:
(a) The Man on the Fifth.
(b) The Big Guy.
(c) Duh Mare.
2. Why did Royko suggest that immigrants were tolerant of Richard Daley's abuses of power?
(a) He abused power for their benefit.
(b) They were accustomed to czars, kings, and emperors using power like a club.
(c) They knew if they were patient they would get theirs.
(d) They would get their kick-back.
3. What was the name of the lawyer who investigated the relationship between Daley and Marovitz?
(a) Johnny Cochran.
(b) Thurgood Marshall.
(c) William Kunstler.
(d) F. Lee Baily.
4. Who did Richard Daley usually see first when he arrived at his office?
(a) His chief of staff.
(b) The Chief of Police.
(c) The press.
(d) His secretary.
5. How were the various Chicago neighborhoods sustained economically?
(a) Each neighborhood had a core of entreprenuers who created jobs.
(b) Each neighborhood was able to earn federal funds to support racial minorities.
(c) Each neighborhood had a connection with organized crime and rum runners.
(d) Each neighborhood had industrial plants to employ local residents.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did some members of the Cook County Democratic Central Committee believe that Richard Daley was not suited for the position of Chairman?
2. How many patronage jobs did Vito Marzullo have for his precinct?
3. To whom was Richard Daley most loyal according to Royko?
4. What did Richard Daley do through the evenings of the 1920's after he was finished with his day job with the City?
5. Into what type of neighborhood was Richard Daley born?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the result of the turmoil during the 1968 Democratic National Convention to Richard Daley's personal popularity?
2. How did Richard Daley present himself in his first campaign for Mayor of Chicago?
3. What were three scandals that plagued the Chicago Police Department in 1959 and 1960?
4. What was Richard Daley's margin of victory in 1971 and what did it mean for his power over Chicago?
5. Why did the grand jury report on the Black Panther shootings cause problems for Daley's administration?
6. How did Chicago's city government conspire to segregate neighborhoods?
7. What effort was taken to prove that Chicago was rigidly segregated and what was the result?
8. Who was Richard Daley's first opponent in the 1955 Chicago mayoral election and what made him a good candidate against Daley?
9. In earlier times how would a ward committeeman coerce immigrants to vote for Democrats?
10. Who was Abraham Lincoln Marovitz and how did he become acquainted with Richard Daley?
This section contains 879 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)