|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What organizations gave Richard Daley his most loyal support?
(a) Labor unions.
(b) Public schools.
(c) Bowling leagues.
(d) Law enforcement agencies.
2. When did Richard Daley prepare for speeches he gave to civic organizations?
(a) Over dinners with his wife.
(b) On his way to the speech.
(c) During weekends when he did not work.
(d) During free time he had over the week before he gave his speech.
3. What did Royko state disturbed Richard Daley?
(a) His friends being caught in corruption.
(b) Anti-war protestors.
(c) Public displays of immorality.
4. What are two titles given to ward committeemen?
(a) "The chosen one" and "the fair haired boy."
(b) "Our beloved leader", and "the boss."
(c) "The clout", and "Mr. Big."
(d) "Our beloved leader" and "the clout."
5. How did Richard Daley regard suggestions from Independent members of the City Council?
(a) He sent them to a subcomittee where they eventually die.
(b) He would contemplete them carefully upon their merits.
(c) He would fly into a purple rage and publicly humilate those who proposed them.
(d) He would send his Chief of Staff to the council member to coerce his/her silence.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Richard Daley present himself as in his first campaign for Mayor?
2. What was the name of the lawyer who investigated the relationship between Daley and Marovitz?
3. What public office traditionally rose through the Chicago Democratic political system?
4. What is the topic of Chapter I?
5. How many patronage jobs did Vito Marzullo have for his precinct?
Short Essay Questions
1. In earlier times how would a ward committeeman coerce immigrants to vote for Democrats?
2. What did Mike Royko believe will come of the memory of Richard Daley's reign as Mayor of Chicago?
3. How did Richard Daley deal with scandals and inefficiencies within the city departments in Chicago?
4. Who did Richard Daley appoint to get corruption under control and what were his qualifications?
5. Who was Richard Daley's opponent for the campaign for his fourth term as mayor and what were the issues the opponent raised during the campaign?
6. Who won the 1960 presidential election and what was Richard Daley's role in the victory?
7. What was a rumor the Democratic Machine spread about Alderman Robert Merriam to help Richard Daley's win the 1955 mayoral election?
8. What was the most notable contribution Richard Daley made to the Cook County Democratic Central Committee and how was it shown?
9. Why did the grand jury report on the Black Panther shootings cause problems for Daley's administration?
10. What effort was taken to prove that Chicago was rigidly segregated and what was the result?
This section contains 824 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)