|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Richard Daley able to accomplish with the additional funding that the Republican Governor of Illinois granted to Chicago in 1956?
(a) Show the parents of school children that he wanted to improve education.
(b) Begin new construction and present tangible proof to the voters that he is wasting no time in improving the city.
(c) Show the voters who could not afford a car that he would help them get to work.
(d) Show decision makers in Washington that he could support their plans.
2. Where did the Introduction first appear?
(a) Chicago Sun-Times.
(b) New York Times.
(c) Chicago Herald.
(d) Chicago Tribune.
3. What is the topic of Chapter I?
(a) Richard Daley's boyhood home.
(b) Richard Daley's daily routine.
(c) Richard Daley's political growth.
(d) Chicago's transformation under Richard Daley's rule.
4. What was the reputation of the mayor who preceded Richard Daley?
(a) He was too easy on Republicans.
(b) He was a weak token.
(c) He was too easy on non-voting immigrants.
(d) He was too stingy with patronage jobs.
5. Why did Richard Daley visit the Democrat Party headquarters after city council meetings?
(a) He owed the party his political allegiance.
(b) He needed the Party's help for his next election campaign.
(c) He wanted to check what the marching orders were from the Party regulars.
(d) He served as Democrat Party Chairman.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many patronage jobs did Vito Marzullo have for his precinct?
2. How were many of the precinct committee positions earned through the years?
3. What did people have to do to stay safe in Chicago while Richard Daley was growing up?
4. Why did some members of the Cook County Democratic Central Committee believe that Richard Daley was not suited for the position of Chairman?
5. Who did Richard Daley help to get nominated for the 1956 Democratic candidate for president?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Richard Daley become a candidate for Mayor of Chicago?
2. How did Richard Daley perform in the segregated neighborhoods during the election for his fourth term, and to what did Daley attribute the results?
3. Why did leading contenders for the Democratic presidential nomination of 1972 congratulate Richard Daley on his 1971 election victory?
4. What effort was taken to prove that Chicago was rigidly segregated and what was the result?
5. What did Richard Daley's 1971 election margin mean for his future influence over Chicago?
6. What were three scandals that plagued the Chicago Police Department in 1959 and 1960?
7. What did a grand jury report on Richard Daley's 68th birthday?
8. How did Richard Daley become a candidate for his first election and for what party was he elected?
9. How did Richard Daley deal with scandals and inefficiencies within the city departments in Chicago?
10. What did Richard Daley become to many immigrants according to Mike Royko?
This section contains 816 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)