|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What public office traditionally rose through the Chicago Democratic political system?
(a) City Manager.
(c) U.S. Senator.
(d) Chief of Police.
2. What was the name of the lawyer who investigated the relationship between Daley and Marovitz?
(a) William Kunstler.
(b) Thurgood Marshall.
(c) Johnny Cochran.
(d) F. Lee Baily.
3. Why did some members of the Cook County Democratic Central Committee believe that Richard Daley was not suited for the position of Chairman?
(a) Some saw him as too liberal.
(b) He was thought to be indecisive.
(c) His professional background was considered to be to controversial.
(d) He was too conservative.
4. When did Richard Daley prepare for speeches he gave to civic organizations?
(a) On his way to the speech.
(b) During free time he had over the week before he gave his speech.
(c) Over dinners with his wife.
(d) During weekends when he did not work.
5. What were the campaign issues pressed by the Republican candidate in the 1955 Chicago mayoral election?
(a) School funding and violent crime.
(b) Equal rights and desegregation.
(c) Corruption in the Police Department and the Democratic Machine.
(d) Inconsistent garbage removal and government waste.
Short Answer Questions
1. What organizations gave Richard Daley his most loyal support?
2. What happened to Richard Daley's chief opponent for Cook County Democratic Chairman shortly before the election?
3. What skills did Richard Daley learn in the Christian Brothers technical school?
4. How did Richard Daley's day begin and end?
5. In what year did Richard Daley earn a position in the Cook County Democratic Central Committee?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why, according to Mike Royko, were immigrants supportive of Richard Daley?
2. What did Richard Daley become to many immigrants according to Mike Royko?
3. What was the Democratic Central Committee and how did Richard Daley become a part of it?
4. Who was Vito Marzullo, for what was he famous, and what was his reward for his performance?
5. What was Richard Daley's strange moral code?
6. Who did Richard Daley appoint to get corruption under control and what were his qualifications?
7. How did Richard Daley present himself in his first campaign for Mayor of Chicago?
8. What was the result of the turmoil during the 1968 Democratic National Convention to Richard Daley's personal popularity?
9. Why did Richard Daley have a daily meeting with the director of patronage and why was it important to his power?
10. In earlier times how would a ward committeeman coerce immigrants to vote for Democrats?
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)