|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was among the promises that Daley made during the campaign?
(a) He promised the sun will shine on all neighborhoods of Chicago, not just State Street.
(b) He promised jobs for everyone who wanted one.
(c) He promised a chicken in every pot.
(d) He promised that crime would be ended in Chicago.
2. Royko reported that ___________ were not upset with Richard Daley's abuses of power.
3. When Joe McDonough was elected to County Treasurer, what happened to Richard Daley?
(a) Daley decided to set his own course and run for state senate.
(b) Daley was left in Chicago City Hall where he eventually became a rival to McDonough.
(c) The two split and Daley continued to pursue his career in City Hall.
(d) McDonough kept Daley in his office as an aide.
4. What major political event was guided by Richard Daley's leadership in 1956?
(a) President Dwight D. Eisenhower's announcement that he was running for re-election.
(b) The Democratic National Convention.
(c) Vice President Richard Nixon's "Kitchen Debate" with Nikita Nikita Khrushchev.
(d) Harry Truman held up a copy of the Chicago Tribune that announced, "Dewey Defeats Truman!"
5. In his earlier years as Chicago Mayor, Richard Daley walked down Michigan Avenue to greet people. Why did he stop the practice?
(a) People who protested his power were a potential threat to his safety.
(b) The walk in the early morning air was hard on his declining health.
(c) The neighborhood became run-down and embarrassing.
(d) He moved to a new, spacious house which made a trip to Michigan for a walk impractical.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Richard Daley help to get nominated for the 1956 Democratic candidate for president?
2. What nickname did Richard Daley earn while national attention was focused on Chicago?
3. To whom was Richard Daley most loyal according to Royko?
4. How often were Richard Daley's phones checked for bugs?
5. In Chicago City Hall, Richard Daley was known by all of the following except:
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Richard Daley become to many immigrants according to Mike Royko?
2. Who was Vito Marzullo, for what was he famous, and what was his reward for his performance?
3. What did Richard Daley's 1971 election victory mean for political observers around the country?
4. What power did Richard Daley receive when he became Chairman over the Cook Country Democratic Central Committee?
5. In earlier times how would a ward committeeman coerce immigrants to vote for Democrats?
6. Who was Richard Daley's opponent for the campaign for his fourth term as mayor and what were the issues the opponent raised during the campaign?
7. Why, according to Mike Royko, were immigrants supportive of Richard Daley?
8. How did Richard Daley perform in the segregated neighborhoods during the election for his fourth term, and to what did Daley attribute the results?
9. What was the Democratic Central Committee and how did Richard Daley become a part of it?
10. Who won the 1960 presidential election and what was Richard Daley's role in the victory?
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)