|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Richard Daley earn a nickname while he was using public funding for various public works projects?
(a) The country witnessed his tough political tactics first hand.
(b) He improved the downtown and lake front areas and upgraded O'Hare from a military airport to one of the nation's state of the art commercial airports.
(c) He was behind massive urban renewal developments in poor minority areas of Chicago.
(d) He took personal risk in supporting Adalai Stevenson's nomination for a second run against President Eisenhower.
2. What did Richard Daley leave behind after his death?
(a) Huge public deficits that are still being paid off.
(b) A "gouging, grabbing, tripping" fight for his power.
(c) A wife and three sons.
(d) A modest home on the southside of Chicago.
3. What is the name of a famous criminal that Mayor Big Bill Thompson allowed to walk freely through the streets of Chicago?
(a) John Dillinger.
(b) Al Capone.
(c) "Pretty Boy" Floyd.
(d) Bugs Moran.
4. What would happen to ward committeemen if they did not deliver votes on election day?
(a) He would end up, "sleeping with the fishes."
(b) Their precinct lost funding for projects he requested.
(c) They lost their position with the Cook County Democratic Central Committee.
(d) The Democratic Party poured more campaign funds in his area for the next election.
5. What were some of the other visible changes that Richard Daley made during his first year as mayor?
(a) He improved roads and streets, established a new bus system, and added an additional day to trash pick-up.
(b) He hired more cops and firemen, and he improved roads and street lighting.
(c) He hired more cops and firemen, converted empty lots into city parks, and established a new bus system.
(d) He established a new bus system, converted empty lots into city parks, and added a day to trash pick-up.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Richard Daley's advice to city officials getting money on the sly?
2. In his earlier years as Chicago Mayor, Richard Daley walked down Michigan Avenue to greet people. Why did he stop the practice?
3. Royko reported that ___________ were not upset with Richard Daley's abuses of power.
4. Why did Richard Daley make the unusual move?
5. What did Royko describe as Richard Daley's character traits?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the name of a club that Richard Daley belonged to and who did he meet in that club that taught him about Chicago politics?
2. What types of jobs did ward committeemen hold?
3. What was the Democratic Central Committee and how did Richard Daley become a part of it?
4. What was a rumor the Democratic Machine spread about Alderman Robert Merriam to help Richard Daley's win the 1955 mayoral election?
5. What was the most notable contribution Richard Daley made to the Cook County Democratic Central Committee and how was it shown?
6. What did Richard Daley's 1971 election margin mean for his future influence over Chicago?
7. How did Richard Daley respond to rumors of an anti-war faction planning to cause trouble at the 1968 Democrat National Convention?
8. What did Mike Royko believe will come of the memory of Richard Daley's reign as Mayor of Chicago?
9. Why did Richard Daley have a daily meeting with the director of patronage and why was it important to his power?
10. What was the motivation for Richard Daley to maintain segregation?
This section contains 966 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)