|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year did Richard Daley win the Chairmanship of the Cook County Democratic Party?
2. Why did Royko consider Richard Daley to be a believable father figure to Chicagoans?
(a) He looked old and bald like a father.
(b) He liked sitting in a rocker during public meetings.
(c) He frequently attended weddings and gave away the bride.
(d) He was like many fathers who worked long hours and said what he meant.
3. Who did Richard Daley help to get nominated for the 1956 Democratic candidate for president?
(a) Harry Truman.
(b) Adalai Stevenson.
(c) Dwight D. Eisenhower.
(d) John F. Kennedy.
4. What did people have to do to stay safe in Chicago while Richard Daley was growing up?
(a) Speak softly and carry a big stick.
(b) Wear safety helmets.
(c) Stay in their own neighborhood with their own kind.
(d) Show courtesy to women and children.
5. What are two titles given to ward committeemen?
(a) "Our beloved leader", and "the boss."
(b) "The chosen one" and "the fair haired boy."
(c) "Our beloved leader" and "the clout."
(d) "The clout", and "Mr. Big."
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was among the more famous ward committeemen from the South Side of Chicago?
2. What is the topic for Chapter IV?
3. When was the Introduction written?
4. What was the result to Richard Daley from the unusual circumstance of Clarence Wagner dropping out of the contest for Chairman of the Cook County Democratic Central Committee?
5. What past time of Joe McDonough helped Richard Daley earn political status and why?
Short Essay Questions
1. What effort was taken to prove that Chicago was rigidly segregated and what was the result?
2. Why, according to Mike Royko, were immigrants supportive of Richard Daley?
3. What law enforcement order did Richard Daley make during riots that broke out after the assassination of Martin Luther King?
4. What was the comparison Mike Royko made between Richard Daley and the people of the City of Chicago?
5. Who were two important candidates that Richard Daley chose to run for office after the turmoil of the 1968 Democrat National Convention and why was it important for them to win?
6. Why did Richard Daley have a daily meeting with the director of patronage and why was it important to his power?
7. Who was Mike Royko and what was his interest in Richard Daley?
8. In earlier times how would a ward committeeman coerce immigrants to vote for Democrats?
9. What was the event that set the stage for violent confrontations at the 1968 Democrat National Convention scheduled for Chicago?
10. Who won the 1960 presidential election and what was Richard Daley's role in the victory?
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)