|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Richard Daley provide these organizations to maintain their support?
(a) He worked to get government grants to provide law enforcement officials with the most up-to-date weaponry and forensic equipment.
(b) He paid at the top of the scale in union wages and provided an unending stream of massive public works projects requiring union workers.
(c) He used public revenues to assure that the Chicago Public Schools System was fully funded and materials were easily made available.
(d) He influenced bowling alleys throughout Chicago to provide free league nights.
2. Who was among the more famous ward committeemen from the South Side of Chicago?
(a) Vito Marzullo.
(b) Abraham Marovitz.
(c) Adalai Stevenson.
(d) Al Capone.
3. What did Richard Daley receive when he finally became Chairman of the Cook County Democratic Party?
(a) Control over his own political machine.
(b) Access to funds from the National Democratic Party to use at his whims.
(c) Police protection for him and his family.
(d) Direct access to politicians from around the country.
4. Who was the president who appointed Abraham Marovitz and what year was it done?
(a) Lyndon Baines Johnson, 1967.
(b) John F. Kennedy, 1961.
(c) Harry S. Truman, 1952.
(d) John F. Kennedy, 1963.
5. What organizations gave Richard Daley his most loyal support?
(a) Bowling leagues.
(b) Labor unions.
(c) Law enforcement agencies.
(d) Public schools.
Short Answer Questions
1. What past time of Joe McDonough helped Richard Daley earn political status and why?
2. How did Richard Daley regard suggestions from Independent members of the City Council?
3. What talent of Richard Daley's earned him praise from Democrats around the country?
4. How did Richard Daley's talent affect the 1948 election?
5. What would happen to ward committeemen if they did not deliver votes on election day?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Richard Daley deal with scandals and inefficiencies within the city departments in Chicago?
2. What was Richard Daley's margin of victory in 1971 and what did it mean for his power over Chicago?
3. How did Richard Daley become a candidate for Mayor of Chicago?
4. What was the school that Richard Daley attended after high school and what sort of skills did that school teach?
5. What did Mike Royko believe will come of the memory of Richard Daley's reign as Mayor of Chicago?
6. How did Richard Daley perform in the segregated neighborhoods during the election for his fourth term, and to what did Daley attribute the results?
7. What were some of the events that happened over the years along the route Richard Daley took to work?
8. How did Richard Daley present himself in his first campaign for Mayor of Chicago?
9. Who opposed Richard Daley's candidacy for Cook County Democratic Chairman, and how did Daley end up getting the position?
10. What were some of the things that police were involved in that made the Chicago Police Department corrupt?
This section contains 959 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)