|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where were the headquarters of the Chicago Democrat Party in relation to Richard Daley's office?
(a) Across the street.
(b) Near Comisky Park.
(c) On the south side of Michigan Avenue.
(d) In the public library.
2. Who was the Democrat official who became a rival to Daley in his climb to the chairmanship of the Democratic Central Committee?
(a) Clarence Wager.
(b) Adlai Stevenson.
(c) Paul Douglas.
(d) Benjamin Adamowski.
3. What was Richard Daley's family background?
(a) British gentry.
(b) Irish Catholic.
(c) German farm stock.
(d) Polish laborer.
4. What was the result to Richard Daley from the unusual circumstance of Clarence Wagner dropping out of the contest for Chairman of the Cook County Democratic Central Committee?
(a) Richard Daley was suspected of being corrupt and unworthy of trust for several years.
(b) Daley was both feared and respected by the hard fighting politicians in Chicago.
(c) Richard Daley became Chairman of the Cook County Democratic Party.
(d) Daley was seen as an uncouth opportunist who took advantage of the misfortunes of his political opponenets.
5. Richard Daley had a role in getting Abraham Marovitz appointed to what position?
(a) The Department of Defense.
(b) The State Department.
(c) The U.S. Federal District Court.
(d) The Supreme Court.
6. To what or whom did Royko compare Richard Daley's character?
(a) A kindly father figure.
(b) John F. Kennedy.
(c) George Washington.
(d) The City of Chicago.
7. Why did Richard Daley visit the Democrat Party headquarters after city council meetings?
(a) He owed the party his political allegiance.
(b) He served as Democrat Party Chairman.
(c) He wanted to check what the marching orders were from the Party regulars.
(d) He needed the Party's help for his next election campaign.
8. What is the relationship between the precinct captain and the ward committeeman in the Cook County Democratic Party?
(a) The ward committeeman is the authority of the precinct captain.
(b) The two are the same office.
(c) The two are unrelated.
(d) The precinct captain is the authority over the ward committeeman.
9. What did Richard Daley do if an ex-convict applied for a patronage job?
(a) Checked to make sure that the police know where they are.
(b) Sent them a polite form letter telling them their quaifications will be considered.
(c) Ignore their presence on the list.
(d) Verified with their sponsor that they are now clean.
10. What personal relationship was Richard Daley maintaining that gave him the incentive to do well when he was working for Joe McDonough in the Cook County Treasurer's Office?
(a) He began dating his future wife, Eleanor.
(b) He started doing business with Joe Kennedy.
(c) He served as liaison between Al Capone and his syndicate while he was in prison.
(d) He began working with a young politician named Adalai Stevenson.
11. Where did the Introduction first appear?
(a) New York Times.
(b) Chicago Tribune.
(c) Chicago Herald.
(d) Chicago Sun-Times.
12. Who did Richard Daley help to get nominated for the 1956 Democratic candidate for president?
(a) John F. Kennedy.
(b) Dwight D. Eisenhower.
(c) Harry Truman.
(d) Adalai Stevenson.
13. Who was among the more famous ward committeemen from the South Side of Chicago?
(a) Adalai Stevenson.
(b) Vito Marzullo.
(c) Al Capone.
(d) Abraham Marovitz.
14. What was one of the issues that members of the Democratic Central Committee used to oppose Richard Daley during his campaign to become Chairman of the Cook County Democratic Central Committee?
(a) Richard Daley wanted to limit the influence of the Federal Government.
(b) Richard Daley wanted to crack down harder on crime.
(c) Richard Daley favored immigration control.
(d) Richard Daley was too liberal and too connected to new Democrats.
15. What is the name of a famous criminal that Mayor Big Bill Thompson allowed to walk freely through the streets of Chicago?
(a) Al Capone.
(b) "Pretty Boy" Floyd.
(c) Bugs Moran.
(d) John Dillinger.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was in the front and back of Richard Daley's house?
2. What is the topic of Chapter I?
3. What did Royko describe as Richard Daley's character traits?
4. What is the topic for Chapter II?
5. What was the first stop that Richard Daley made everyday?
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)