|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Epilogue.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What were the qualifications that a ward committeeman had to prove to get appointed to the head of a city department?
(a) They had to deliver huge number of votes for Democrat candidates.
(b) A clean criminal background and at lease five years experience in a related field.
(c) They had to have or be working toward a master's degree related to the position for which they were contending.
(d) They had to have an attractive resume filled with achievements that could be verified.
2. What is the relationship between the precinct captain and the ward committeeman in the Cook County Democratic Party?
(a) The ward committeeman is the authority of the precinct captain.
(b) The two are unrelated.
(c) The two are the same office.
(d) The precinct captain is the authority over the ward committeeman.
3. What was the reputation of the mayor who preceded Richard Daley?
(a) He was a weak token.
(b) He was too stingy with patronage jobs.
(c) He was too easy on non-voting immigrants.
(d) He was too easy on Republicans.
4. When Joe McDonough was elected to County Treasurer, what happened to Richard Daley?
(a) Daley was left in Chicago City Hall where he eventually became a rival to McDonough.
(b) McDonough kept Daley in his office as an aide.
(c) Daley decided to set his own course and run for state senate.
(d) The two split and Daley continued to pursue his career in City Hall.
5. Who was among the more famous ward committeemen from the South Side of Chicago?
(a) Vito Marzullo.
(b) Al Capone.
(c) Abraham Marovitz.
(d) Adalai Stevenson.
Short Answer Questions
1. In his earlier years as Chicago Mayor, Richard Daley walked down Michigan Avenue to greet people. Why did he stop the practice?
2. Who was the Democrat official who became a rival to Daley in his climb to the chairmanship of the Democratic Central Committee?
3. What were the issues that Richard Daley's opponent raised during the election before his fourth term?
4. How did the press handle the April event?
5. What was among the promises that Daley made during the campaign?
This section contains 515 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)