|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Epilogue.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What event led to the biggest scandal of Richard Daley's second term as mayor?
(a) The Attorney General of Illinois investigated and took steps to take control of the Real Estate Division of the City of Chicago.
(b) A former ward committeeman went public with how precincts would routinely, "Vote the graveyard."
(c) Three civil rights activists were found beaten to death and buried at a construction site outside of Chicago.
(d) A burglar was arrested.
2. In what year did Richard Daley earn a position in the Cook County Democratic Central Committee?
3. What was one of Richard Daley's first achievements as mayor?
(a) He established a new affordable bus service to enhance mass transit.
(b) He got federal funds to make Chicago streets part of the Interstate Highway system.
(c) He won additional funds for Chicago public schools.
(d) He sought and received increased tax revenue through the Republican Governor of Illinois.
4. How did Richard Daley regard suggestions from Independent members of the City Council?
(a) He would send his Chief of Staff to the council member to coerce his/her silence.
(b) He sent them to a subcomittee where they eventually die.
(c) He would contemplete them carefully upon their merits.
(d) He would fly into a purple rage and publicly humilate those who proposed them.
5. How did Richard Daley diffuse the 1970 scandal involving the public officials?
(a) Daley transfered a few police commanders and vowed to reform the department.
(b) He hired a political adviser who guided him in responding to claims he was losing his mental edge.
(c) Daley claimed to repay the public funds from his bank account.
(d) Daley claimed to repay the Cook County Democratic campaign funds.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Richard Daley usually see first when he arrived at his office?
2. Where were the headquarters of the Chicago Democrat Party in relation to Richard Daley's office?
3. What did the election results for Richard Daley's fifth term mean for influence over the future of Chicago politics?
4. What was Richard Daley's initial response to the 1960 police department scandal?
5. What 1960 police department scandal caused great embarrassment for Richard Daley?
This section contains 484 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)