|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Epilogue.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who did Richard Daley appoint to take care of the 1960 police department scandal?
(a) Jesse Jackson, who had been working very closely with Martin Luther King on civil rights issues.
(b) Orlando Wilson, the nation's brilliant and foremost law enforcement expert and corrupt-free head of the University of California's criminology department.
(c) Adalai Stevenson, who had a highly regarded reputation for integrity in Illinois.
(d) William Kunstler, a lawyer who was a persistent critic of Chicago city government.
2. What discrepancy was committed by public officials in 1970 that caused problems for the Daley Administration?
(a) Police officers claimed they were defending themselves against an attack by the Black Panthers.
(b) Those who were critical of Daley's decisions pointed to his avoidance of the public as evidence he was becoming a recluse.
(c) A Chicago Tribune discovered that Richard Daley's birthday party thrown by City Hall employees was funded illegally with public money.
(d) A political opponent of Daley's reported that the trip to the Bahamas given as a gift to Daley was illegally funded with campaign donations.
3. Why did Royko suggest that immigrants were tolerant of Richard Daley's abuses of power?
(a) They knew if they were patient they would get theirs.
(b) He abused power for their benefit.
(c) They would get their kick-back.
(d) They were accustomed to czars, kings, and emperors using power like a club.
4. What is the topic for Chapter IV?
(a) Labor Unions and Chicago Politics.
(b) Nepotism and Chicago politics.
(c) Organized Crime and Chicago Politics.
(d) Operations of the Cook County Democratic Machine.
5. With whom did Richard Daley become most upset during the time of growing racial conflict?
(a) Civil Rights activist Martin Luther King.
(b) Police Chief Orlando Wilson.
(c) President Kennedy.
(d) Civil Rights lawyer William Kunstler.
Short Answer Questions
1. What would happen to ward committeemen if they did not deliver votes on election day?
2. Why did Richard Daley claim he made the moves that he did with the 1970 scandal involving public officials?
3. What was the label that was given to those who had similar views to Richard Daley in the Cook County Democratic Party?
4. How did Richard Daley's day begin and end?
5. In Chicago City Hall, Richard Daley was known by all of the following except:
This section contains 506 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)