|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Epilogue.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How was Richard Daley's initial urban renewal effort accepted by those who who used the areas?
(a) The indigents who frequented Halsted Street alleys were chased off and eventually resettled in Gary, Indiana.
(b) Cubs fans were mildly inconvenienced, but hoped the changes would bring a World Series to the Friendly Confines.
(c) Residents in the Valley staged an uprising.
(d) Both the Irish and African American residents were suspicious at first but came to appreciate the efforts to improve and open their neighborhoods.
2. What made this candidate for Cook County Sheriff an attractive choice for the election?
(a) Elrod was hospitalized after having allegedly been injured by a Weatherman activist.
(b) Chicagoans considered Orlando Wilson an effective law enforcement officer.
(c) Adamowski is considered to be independent of Daley's influence.
(d) Marzullo is assured of delivering the Itallian vote.
3. Who was Richard Daley's opponent during his fourth run for Mayor?
(a) Robert Merriam.
(b) Orlando Wilson.
(c) John Warner.
(d) Ben Adamowski.
4. When Joe McDonough was elected to County Treasurer, what happened to Richard Daley?
(a) McDonough kept Daley in his office as an aide.
(b) Daley decided to set his own course and run for state senate.
(c) Daley was left in Chicago City Hall where he eventually became a rival to McDonough.
(d) The two split and Daley continued to pursue his career in City Hall.
5. What made the Cook County Democratic Central Committee so powerful?
(a) It was led by Adalai Stevenson.
(b) It set Democratic Party policy in Chicago and Cook County.
(c) It was directed from Washington, D.C.
(d) It had direct links to Harry Truman.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the year of the election for Richard Daley's fourth term?
2. Who did Richard Daley help to get nominated for the 1956 Democratic candidate for president?
3. In what year did Richard Daley begin his fifth term?
4. Why did Richard Daley visit the Democrat Party headquarters after city council meetings?
5. What was the reputation of the mayor who preceded Richard Daley?
This section contains 384 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)