|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Epilogue.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Martin Luther King do when Mayor Daley's actions did not satisfactorily address the problems of segregation?
(a) Dr. King was arrested by Chicago police on a voter fraud charge.
(b) Dr. King left for Memphis, Tennessee where he was assassinated.
(c) Dr. King began staging protest marches in white neighborhoods.
(d) Dr. King went to Washington, D.C. and delivered his "I have a dream" speech.
2. According to Royko, What will be the most-remembered political legacy of Richard Daley?
(a) That he presided over successful public works.
(b) That he was upright and consistent.
(c) That he was kind and honest.
(d) That he was a political brawler.
3. What police action against a public gathering became a precursor to the Democratic National Convention?
(a) Supporters of Senator Kennedy refused to pledge their support to any other candidate.
(b) McCarthy's antiwar supporters pledged to disrupt the convention if McCarthy was not nominated.
(c) Dr. King's assassination caused discontent within African-American delegations to the Convention.
(d) Peace marchers ignored police orders to disperse and were beaten, maced, and arrested.
4. What are two titles given to ward committeemen?
(a) "The clout", and "Mr. Big."
(b) "The chosen one" and "the fair haired boy."
(c) "Our beloved leader" and "the clout."
(d) "Our beloved leader", and "the boss."
5. What did the response of contenders for the 1972 Democrat Presidential Nomination signify to Richard Daley?
(a) His power had a regional influence.
(b) His power was limited to Chicago.
(c) His power was appreciated by Republicans.
(d) His power was alive and well.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Richard Daley respond to growing tensions in the weeks leading up to the 1968 Democratic National Convention?
2. Who did Richard Daley replace at the beginning of his fourth term?
3. Richard Daley and who else knew how many patronage jobs existed?
4. What supplemental role did the Chicago Police Department perform for Richard Daley?
5. What would happen to ward committeemen if they did not deliver votes on election day?
This section contains 482 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)