|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Epilogue.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Richard Daley's response after a commission recommended that the police should treat blacks the same as whites?
(a) He assigned another commission under his control that recommended he keep his policies in place.
(b) He ignored the recommendations and increased the use of force.
(c) He increased abuse against everybody.
(d) He relented and began promoting a, "kinder and gentler," police force.
2. Upon what has Richard Daley's quick rise in political influence been credited?
(a) His membership in a club named the Hamburgs that spawned a number of successful Chicago politicians.
(b) His ability to see and negotiate his way through conflict.
(c) His quiet and earnest work to help all voters get to the polls.
(d) His unique skill as an orator to persuade even the most seasoned officeholder to take action.
3. What did Richard Daley do through the evenings of the 1920's after he was finished with his day job with the City?
(a) He wrote campaign speeches for Democrat dignitaries.
(b) He drove a truck delivering coal to factories.
(c) He tended bar for several illegal speakeasies.
(d) He attended DePaul Law School.
4. What are two titles given to ward committeemen?
(a) "Our beloved leader", and "the boss."
(b) "The chosen one" and "the fair haired boy."
(c) "Our beloved leader" and "the clout."
(d) "The clout", and "Mr. Big."
5. How long was Richard Daley on the city payroll?
(a) 53 years.
(b) 23 years as mayor.
(c) At least the next 48 years.
(d) Sporadically over five decades.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the president who appointed Abraham Marovitz and what year was it done?
2. What was one of Richard Daley's first achievements as mayor?
3. What happened on Richard Daley's 68th birthday?
4. Who was the president that Richard Daley supposedly helped to elect?
5. How many patronage jobs did Vito Marzullo have for his precinct?
This section contains 423 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)