|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Epilogue.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was among the promises that Daley made during the campaign?
(a) He promised a chicken in every pot.
(b) He promised jobs for everyone who wanted one.
(c) He promised that crime would be ended in Chicago.
(d) He promised the sun will shine on all neighborhoods of Chicago, not just State Street.
2. By what kind of margin did Richard Daley win the election to his fifth term?
(a) The election was cancelled as his opponent died in a mysterious auto accident a week before the election.
(b) He ran unopposed.
(c) The closest margin of his career.
(d) One of the largest margins in his career.
3. Who was the president that Richard Daley supposedly helped to elect?
(a) Adalai Stevenson.
(b) John F. Kennedy.
(c) Lyndon Baines Johnson.
(d) Harry S. Truman.
4. What would ward committeemen do if they could not win election to an additional public office?
(a) They would operate their own business that was given preferential treatment by the city government.
(b) They were given prime jobs running city departments.
(c) They would give themselves the best patronage jobs.
(d) They would make additional money running a protection racket through the Chicago Police Department.
5. What was Richard Daley's family background?
(a) German farm stock.
(b) Polish laborer.
(c) British gentry.
(d) Irish Catholic.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Richard Daley treat department heads who did not perform well?
2. Who did Richard Daley run as Democrat candidate for Cook County Sheriff in 1971?
3. What happened when Richard Daley ran for his second term?
4. What were the qualifications that a ward committeeman had to prove to get appointed to the head of a city department?
5. What role did Joe McDonough play in shaping Richard Daley's political career?
This section contains 462 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)