|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter IX.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At what point during the 1968 Democratic National Convention did protesters and security forces clash?
(a) Throughout the summer weeks before the convention.
(b) The weekend before the start of the convention.
(c) Opening night of the convention.
(d) On Wednesday before the presidential nominations were made.
2. How did the public respond to Richard Daley's response to the outbreaks?
(a) He was harshly criticized for being too closely involved in police department policy.
(b) He was distrusted for the remainder of his time as mayor.
(c) He was applauded for recognizing the influence of civil rights advocates on his administration.
(d) He was criticized to the point that he changed his orders to "minimum force."
3. Why did Royko suggest that immigrants were tolerant of Richard Daley's abuses of power?
(a) They knew if they were patient they would get theirs.
(b) They were accustomed to czars, kings, and emperors using power like a club.
(c) He abused power for their benefit.
(d) They would get their kick-back.
4. Who was among the more famous ward committeemen from the South Side of Chicago?
(a) Adalai Stevenson.
(b) Al Capone.
(c) Abraham Marovitz.
(d) Vito Marzullo.
5. Why did some members of the Cook County Democratic Central Committee believe that Richard Daley was not suited for the position of Chairman?
(a) He was thought to be indecisive.
(b) He was too conservative.
(c) Some saw him as too liberal.
(d) His professional background was considered to be to controversial.
Short Answer Questions
1. What role did Joe McDonough play in shaping Richard Daley's political career?
2. Who was the president that Richard Daley supposedly helped to elect?
3. Who did Richard Daley help to get nominated for the 1956 Democratic candidate for president?
4. Who was the president who appointed Abraham Marovitz and what year was it done?
5. What did Richard Daley do through the evenings of the 1920's after he was finished with his day job with the City?
This section contains 396 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)