|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter IX.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Richard Daley respond to the outbreaks?
(a) He had a city hall meeting with civil rights advocates to get their input for a new police chief.
(b) He restored water services to the fire hydrants in the neighborhood.
(c) He issued shoot to kill orders against arsonists and shoot to maim orders against looters.
(d) He ordered a restoration of Chief Wilson's policies in the African American neighborhoods.
2. What is the topic of Chapter I?
(a) Chicago's transformation under Richard Daley's rule.
(b) Richard Daley's political growth.
(c) Richard Daley's boyhood home.
(d) Richard Daley's daily routine.
3. How did Richard Daley's talent affect the 1948 election?
(a) He knew how to use his office to raise funds.
(b) His ability to turn out votes helped Harry Truman win the presidential election.
(c) He developed campaign ads that made people believe that Thomas Dewey was planning to desegregate Chicago.
(d) He was able to organize campaign ralleys that helped Harry Truman win the presidential election.
4. Who did Richard Daley usually see first when he arrived at his office?
(a) The Chief of Police.
(b) His chief of staff.
(c) The press.
(d) His secretary.
5. What did Richard Daley provide these organizations to maintain their support?
(a) He influenced bowling alleys throughout Chicago to provide free league nights.
(b) He worked to get government grants to provide law enforcement officials with the most up-to-date weaponry and forensic equipment.
(c) He paid at the top of the scale in union wages and provided an unending stream of massive public works projects requiring union workers.
(d) He used public revenues to assure that the Chicago Public Schools System was fully funded and materials were easily made available.
Short Answer Questions
1. What would happen to ward committeemen if they did not deliver votes on election day?
2. What happened to segregation opponents who showed up at Richard Daley's house?
3. Daley did not personally attack his opponent, but what was one of the things the Democratic Machine did during the election?
4. What did Richard Daley leave behind after his death?
5. What is the topic for Chapter II?
This section contains 496 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)