|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter IX.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What personal relationship was Richard Daley maintaining that gave him the incentive to do well when he was working for Joe McDonough in the Cook County Treasurer's Office?
(a) He began working with a young politician named Adalai Stevenson.
(b) He began dating his future wife, Eleanor.
(c) He started doing business with Joe Kennedy.
(d) He served as liaison between Al Capone and his syndicate while he was in prison.
2. How did Royko describe Richard Daley's response to political brawls in Chicago?
(a) He would call a truce and negotiate between the warring factions.
(b) He'd sit in the middle of it all and and look as happy as a kid at a birthday party.
(c) He would take sides and use his power to crush his opponents.
(d) He would ignore it had let it take its course.
3. How did the attention news agencies gave to the April event set up what eventually occurred at the 1968 Democratic National Convention?
(a) The lack of public attention to police abuse of peace marchers allowed Richard Daley to believe that the public was not concerned with their treatment.
(b) Both political parties recognized that they would have to become more sensitive to demands from civil rights activists.
(c) McCarthy supporters were discounted as irrelevant and Eugene McCarthy quickly faded from the national stage of political influence.
(d) Middle class and middle aged voters began supporting abuse against antiwar protesters.
4. To what or whom did Royko compare Richard Daley's character?
(a) John F. Kennedy.
(b) The City of Chicago.
(c) George Washington.
(d) A kindly father figure.
5. What would happen to ward committeemen if they did not deliver votes on election day?
(a) Their precinct lost funding for projects he requested.
(b) The Democratic Party poured more campaign funds in his area for the next election.
(c) He would end up, "sleeping with the fishes."
(d) They lost their position with the Cook County Democratic Central Committee.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Richard Daley's day begin and end?
2. Why did Richard Daley make the unusual move?
3. What was the first stop that Richard Daley made everyday?
4. What past time of Joe McDonough helped Richard Daley earn political status and why?
5. How were many of the precinct committee positions earned through the years?
This section contains 555 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)