|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter IX.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What nickname did Richard Daley earn while national attention was focused on Chicago?
(a) "Dick the builder."
(b) "Dick the bruiser."
(c) "Richard the lionhearted."
(d) "Daley the developer."
2. What organizations gave Richard Daley his most loyal support?
(a) Law enforcement agencies.
(b) Public schools.
(c) Labor unions.
(d) Bowling leagues.
3. What defined the geographic areas of Chicago?
(b) Proximity to Lake Michigan.
(c) Political affiliations.
4. What was Richard Daley's family background?
(a) British gentry.
(b) German farm stock.
(c) Polish laborer.
(d) Irish Catholic.
5. What major political event was guided by Richard Daley's leadership in 1956?
(a) Vice President Richard Nixon's "Kitchen Debate" with Nikita Nikita Khrushchev.
(b) President Dwight D. Eisenhower's announcement that he was running for re-election.
(c) The Democratic National Convention.
(d) Harry Truman held up a copy of the Chicago Tribune that announced, "Dewey Defeats Truman!"
Short Answer Questions
1. What public office traditionally rose through the Chicago Democratic political system?
2. What finally forced Richard Daley to hear the demands of Martin Luther King?
3. How was a police action in April of 1968 characterized by observers?
4. Why did Richard Daley earn a nickname while he was using public funding for various public works projects?
5. In what year did Richard Daley win the Chairmanship of the Cook County Democratic Party?
This section contains 372 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)