|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter IX.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are patronage jobs?
(a) The name for jobs that have no other definition.
(b) Public jobs that are issued through political connections.
(c) Service jobs that the government must provide.
(d) Make-work jobs that have no real function.
2. Who was the president that Richard Daley supposedly helped to elect?
(a) John F. Kennedy.
(b) Harry S. Truman.
(c) Lyndon Baines Johnson.
(d) Adalai Stevenson.
3. How did Richard Daley respond to growing tensions in the weeks leading up to the 1968 Democratic National Convention?
(a) He became a mediator between the various interest groups and the Democratic National Committee.
(b) He began conferring with President Johnson for advice on how to handle the situation.
(c) He planned a massive show of force and denied public gathering permits to antiwar groups.
(d) He did not consider any of the threats to be serious and ignored them.
4. Who did Richard Daley replace at the beginning of his fourth term?
(a) Judge Abraham Marovitz who was debarred.
(b) Police Chief Orlando Wilson, who retired.
(c) Dan Rostenkowski who moved to Washington, D.C., to serve as congressman.
(d) Ward Committeeman Vito Marzullo who passed away.
5. Besides protesters, who else did security forces target for harassment during the 1968 Democratic National Convention?
(a) Organizers who were not at the protest sites.
(b) News reporters.
(c) Sidewalk merchants.
(d) Spectators of the events.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to Richard Daley's popularity in Chicago after the turmoil of the 1968 Democratic National Convention?
2. After Richard Daley put his scandal behind him, what two political victories did he achieve?
3. Why did Richard Daley earn a nickname while he was using public funding for various public works projects?
4. What nickname did Richard Daley earn while national attention was focused on Chicago?
5. What was Richard Daley's family background?
This section contains 490 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)