|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter IX.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did ward committeemen use their influence to encourage participation in elections?
(a) He would tell them, "Now that you are American it is you civic duty to vote."
(b) He would tell them, "Voting helps you protect the freedoms for which you left your homeland."
(c) He would tell them, "Voting makes you as powerful as the people in elected office."
(d) He would tell them, "If you don't vote, you might lose your public housing."
2. Who was the last elected Chicago Mayor before Richard Daley?
(a) Dan Rostenkowski.
(b) Vito Marzullo.
(c) Martin Kennelly.
(d) Robert Merriam.
3. When did Richard Daley prepare for speeches he gave to civic organizations?
(a) During weekends when he did not work.
(b) On his way to the speech.
(c) During free time he had over the week before he gave his speech.
(d) Over dinners with his wife.
4. What became the most consuming controversy during Richard Daley's first two terms as mayor?
(a) Corruption in the police department.
(b) City planners using their positions to profit from real estate development.
(c) Ward committeemen turning in doctored election returns.
(d) Segregation throughout the city's ethnic neighbor hoods.
5. What would ward committeemen do if they could not win election to an additional public office?
(a) They would make additional money running a protection racket through the Chicago Police Department.
(b) They would operate their own business that was given preferential treatment by the city government.
(c) They would give themselves the best patronage jobs.
(d) They were given prime jobs running city departments.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the public respond to Richard Daley's response to the outbreaks?
2. What skills did Richard Daley learn in the Christian Brothers technical school?
3. What was the reputation of the mayor who preceded Richard Daley?
4. What did Richard Daley do through the evenings of the 1920's after he was finished with his day job with the City?
5. Daley did not personally attack his opponent, but what was one of the things the Democratic Machine did during the election?
This section contains 485 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)