|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter IX.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What skills did Richard Daley learn in the Christian Brothers technical school?
(a) Jabbing and dodging for boxers.
(b) Smelting and extruding for iron workers.
(c) Typing and shorthand for a secretarial position.
(d) Welding a pipefitting for plumbers.
2. What did Royko describe as Richard Daley's character traits?
(a) Hot-tempered, simple, devious and powerful.
(b) Studious, resolved, calm and patient.
(c) Simple, quiet, humble and kind.
(d) Loud, profane, immoral and angry.
3. How were patronage jobs issued in Chicago?
(a) They were distributed to ward committeemen who delivered the highest voter turnout.
(b) The mayor gave them to the precinct where he had the most friends.
(c) Applications were taken and candidates went through a stringent interview process.
(d) They were bid upon by qualified candidates.
4. Who was the president that Richard Daley supposedly helped to elect?
(a) Adalai Stevenson.
(b) Harry S. Truman.
(c) Lyndon Baines Johnson.
(d) John F. Kennedy.
5. How were many of the precinct committee positions earned through the years?
(a) Through paying for favors or graft.
(b) Through winning public support for a cause or virtue.
(c) Through hard work or devotion.
(d) Through family connections or nepotism.
Short Answer Questions
1. What police action against a public gathering became a precursor to the Democratic National Convention?
2. What became the most consuming controversy during Richard Daley's first two terms as mayor?
3. Where did Daley choose to begin his urban renewal projects?
4. What was the name of the lawyer who investigated the relationship between Daley and Marovitz?
5. Richard Daley had a role in getting Abraham Marovitz appointed to what position?
This section contains 388 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)