|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter IX.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was the Republican candidate opposing Richard Daley in the 1955 Chicago mayoral election?
(a) Vito Marzullo.
(b) Martin Kennelly.
(c) Alderman Robert Merriam.
(d) Dan Rostenkowski.
2. What were the issues that Richard Daley's opponent raised during the election before his fourth term?
(a) Daley's harsh law enforcement tactics and racial tension.
(b) The increasing taxes on property and regulations against businesses.
(c) Inadequate housing and bans against African-Americans in Chicago's labor unions.
(d) Increasing federal intrusion and insufficient education funding.
3. Daley did not personally attack his opponent, but what was one of the things the Democratic Machine did during the election?
(a) It stole yard signs of Daley's opponent.
(b) It passed around Merriam's divorce papers in Catholic neighborhoods.
(c) It doctored documents that showed Daley's opponent stole public money for his business.
(d) It passed around photographs suggesting Daley's opponenet was having an illicit affair.
4. In earlier times how did ward committeemen win influence over immigrants?
(a) They helped them find homes and jobs.
(b) They helped them fill out papers and figure out their taxes and licenses.
(c) They dispatched henchmen to threaten them if they were not compliant.
(d) They helped them get the forms that helped to keep them in the country.
5. Why did Richard Daley earn a nickname while he was using public funding for various public works projects?
(a) The country witnessed his tough political tactics first hand.
(b) He took personal risk in supporting Adalai Stevenson's nomination for a second run against President Eisenhower.
(c) He improved the downtown and lake front areas and upgraded O'Hare from a military airport to one of the nation's state of the art commercial airports.
(d) He was behind massive urban renewal developments in poor minority areas of Chicago.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Royko suggest that immigrants were tolerant of Richard Daley's abuses of power?
2. In what year did Richard Daley die?
3. What was the first stop that Richard Daley made everyday?
4. What supplemental role did the Chicago Police Department perform for Richard Daley?
5. What did Royko state disturbed Richard Daley?
This section contains 425 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)