|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter IX.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What event took place in Chicago during April that foretold conflict at the 1968 Democratic National Convention in Chicago?
(a) Senator Bobby Kennedy was assassinated.
(b) Martin Luther King was assassinated.
(c) Eugene McCarthy's primary victories invigorated the antiwar movement.
(d) A large peace march was held in Chicago in the Loop area.
2. What was the profession of Mike Royko, author of "Boss: Richard J. Daley of Chicago"?
(a) Author and newspaper columnist with three Chicago newspapers.
(b) Author and television commentator with several Chicago television stations.
(c) Author and city official in Chicago.
(d) First baseman for the Chicago Cubs.
3. How were the various Chicago neighborhoods sustained economically?
(a) Each neighborhood had a connection with organized crime and rum runners.
(b) Each neighborhood was able to earn federal funds to support racial minorities.
(c) Each neighborhood had industrial plants to employ local residents.
(d) Each neighborhood had a core of entreprenuers who created jobs.
4. What would Richard Daley do if he discovered one of his married, Catholic appointees was having an affair?
(a) He would encourge him to get marriage counceling.
(b) He would ignore it if he was a popular official.
(c) He would see to it that his public service career in Chicago came to an end.
(d) He would get pictures of the officials indiscretions and use them to coerce his cooperation.
5. When did Richard Daley prepare for speeches he gave to civic organizations?
(a) During weekends when he did not work.
(b) Over dinners with his wife.
(c) On his way to the speech.
(d) During free time he had over the week before he gave his speech.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Richard Daley do if an ex-convict applied for a patronage job?
2. What supplemental role did the Chicago Police Department perform for Richard Daley?
3. What did people have to do to stay safe in Chicago while Richard Daley was growing up?
4. How many patronage jobs did Vito Marzullo have for his precinct?
5. If Chicagoans were disagreeable when they raised complaints to the city, how did Richard Daley regard their complaint?
This section contains 469 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)