|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter IX.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Richard Daley receive when he finally became Chairman of the Cook County Democratic Party?
(a) Control over his own political machine.
(b) Direct access to politicians from around the country.
(c) Access to funds from the National Democratic Party to use at his whims.
(d) Police protection for him and his family.
2. What major political event was guided by Richard Daley's leadership in 1956?
(a) Vice President Richard Nixon's "Kitchen Debate" with Nikita Nikita Khrushchev.
(b) The Democratic National Convention.
(c) President Dwight D. Eisenhower's announcement that he was running for re-election.
(d) Harry Truman held up a copy of the Chicago Tribune that announced, "Dewey Defeats Truman!"
3. Who did Richard Daley appoint to take care of the 1960 police department scandal?
(a) Adalai Stevenson, who had a highly regarded reputation for integrity in Illinois.
(b) Orlando Wilson, the nation's brilliant and foremost law enforcement expert and corrupt-free head of the University of California's criminology department.
(c) Jesse Jackson, who had been working very closely with Martin Luther King on civil rights issues.
(d) William Kunstler, a lawyer who was a persistent critic of Chicago city government.
4. Who did Richard Daley usually see first when he arrived at his office?
(a) The press.
(b) His secretary.
(c) The Chief of Police.
(d) His chief of staff.
5. What skills did Richard Daley learn in the Christian Brothers technical school?
(a) Welding a pipefitting for plumbers.
(b) Typing and shorthand for a secretarial position.
(c) Jabbing and dodging for boxers.
(d) Smelting and extruding for iron workers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the result of Richard Daley's hard work with the Democratic Central Committee?
2. What event led to the biggest scandal of Richard Daley's second term as mayor?
3. Who was the last elected Chicago Mayor before Richard Daley?
4. What made the Cook County Democratic Central Committee so powerful?
5. After the inauguration of John F. Kennedy, how many people were considered to be more powerful than Richard Daley?
This section contains 465 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)