|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter IX.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How were patronage jobs issued in Chicago?
(a) They were bid upon by qualified candidates.
(b) The mayor gave them to the precinct where he had the most friends.
(c) They were distributed to ward committeemen who delivered the highest voter turnout.
(d) Applications were taken and candidates went through a stringent interview process.
2. What is the name of a famous criminal that Mayor Big Bill Thompson allowed to walk freely through the streets of Chicago?
(a) Bugs Moran.
(b) Al Capone.
(c) John Dillinger.
(d) "Pretty Boy" Floyd.
3. How was a police action in April of 1968 characterized by observers?
(a) The unattached Kennedy delegates inspire political activists of all types to go to Chicago to demonstrate.
(b) The threats of McCarthy supporters is discounted as an easily handled threat.
(c) It is called a police riot.
(d) The demands of African-American delegates are considered seriously by the Democrat Convention Platform Committee.
4. Richard Daley had a role in getting Abraham Marovitz appointed to what position?
(a) The State Department.
(b) The U.S. Federal District Court.
(c) The Department of Defense.
(d) The Supreme Court.
5. With whom did Richard Daley become most upset during the time of growing racial conflict?
(a) Civil Rights lawyer William Kunstler.
(b) President Kennedy.
(c) Civil Rights activist Martin Luther King.
(d) Police Chief Orlando Wilson.
Short Answer Questions
1. What finally forced Richard Daley to hear the demands of Martin Luther King?
2. What is the relationship between the precinct captain and the ward committeeman in the Cook County Democratic Party?
3. Who did Richard Daley help to get nominated for the 1956 Democratic candidate for president?
4. How did ward committeemen use their influence to encourage participation in elections?
5. What is a campaign tactic that Richard Daley used against all of his election opponents?
This section contains 503 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)