|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter IX.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was among the influences for which Vito Marzullo was well known?
(a) Eliminated political enemies.
(b) Finding new political talent.
(c) "Voting the graveyard."
(d) Selecting judges.
2. How were the various Chicago neighborhoods sustained economically?
(a) Each neighborhood had a core of entreprenuers who created jobs.
(b) Each neighborhood had a connection with organized crime and rum runners.
(c) Each neighborhood was able to earn federal funds to support racial minorities.
(d) Each neighborhood had industrial plants to employ local residents.
3. What was the profession of Mike Royko, author of "Boss: Richard J. Daley of Chicago"?
(a) Author and city official in Chicago.
(b) First baseman for the Chicago Cubs.
(c) Author and newspaper columnist with three Chicago newspapers.
(d) Author and television commentator with several Chicago television stations.
4. Why did a particular important figure frustrate Richard Daley during the period of protests against segregated neighborhoods?
(a) President Kennedy frustrated Daley because he did little to offer political support during the turmoil.
(b) William Kunstler frustrated Daley because he was continually threatening legal action on the injustices Dr. King publicized.
(c) Martin Luther King frustrated Daley because he had no control over Dr. King when he caused bad publicity with his protests.
(d) Police Chief Wilson frustrated Daley because he treated African-American protestors with a light touch, and per their agreement Wilson was the one official Daley could not boss around.
5. What was Richard Daley's initial response to the 1960 police department scandal?
(a) He began drinking heavily.
(b) He made public attacks against people investigating the charges.
(c) He stonewalled all investigations.
(d) He sequestered himself in his home out of shame.
Short Answer Questions
1. Upon what has Richard Daley's quick rise in political influence been credited?
2. How did the press handle the April event?
3. Who was the Republican candidate opposing Richard Daley in the 1955 Chicago mayoral election?
4. What made the Cook County Democratic Central Committee so powerful?
5. In his earlier years as Chicago Mayor, Richard Daley walked down Michigan Avenue to greet people. Why did he stop the practice?
This section contains 519 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)