|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter VII.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Royko describe as Richard Daley's character traits?
(a) Simple, quiet, humble and kind.
(b) Hot-tempered, simple, devious and powerful.
(c) Studious, resolved, calm and patient.
(d) Loud, profane, immoral and angry.
2. How old was Richard Daley when he became a precinct captain for a South Side ward?
3. What past time of Joe McDonough helped Richard Daley earn political status and why?
(a) McDonough enjoyed deep sea diving and left the office frequently to Daley's care.
(b) McDonough spent much time at race tracks allowing Daley fill the responsibilities of McDonough's office.
(c) McDonough was a philanderer so Daley began to sow the seeds of McDonugh's humiliation.
(d) McDonough was a widely reputed alcoholic so Daley's departure was considered wise.
4. Where did Daley choose to begin his urban renewal projects?
(a) Along Waveland Avenue near Wrigley Field.
(b) On the south side between Daley's Irish Catholic birthplace and an African-American neighborhood.
(c) West Halsted Street near the Chicago International Amphitheatre where the 1968 Democrat National Convention was eventually held.
(d) An old Italian neighborhood known as the Valley.
5. What was one of Richard Daley's first achievements as mayor?
(a) He established a new affordable bus service to enhance mass transit.
(b) He won additional funds for Chicago public schools.
(c) He sought and received increased tax revenue through the Republican Governor of Illinois.
(d) He got federal funds to make Chicago streets part of the Interstate Highway system.
Short Answer Questions
1. What became the most consuming controversy during Richard Daley's first two terms as mayor?
2. What happened to segregation opponents who showed up at Richard Daley's house?
3. Why did Richard Daley earn a nickname while he was using public funding for various public works projects?
4. What 1960 police department scandal caused great embarrassment for Richard Daley?
5. Where did the Introduction first appear?
This section contains 470 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)