|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter VII.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What event led to the biggest scandal of Richard Daley's second term as mayor?
(a) A burglar was arrested.
(b) A former ward committeeman went public with how precincts would routinely, "Vote the graveyard."
(c) Three civil rights activists were found beaten to death and buried at a construction site outside of Chicago.
(d) The Attorney General of Illinois investigated and took steps to take control of the Real Estate Division of the City of Chicago.
2. What was the result to Richard Daley from the unusual circumstance of Clarence Wagner dropping out of the contest for Chairman of the Cook County Democratic Central Committee?
(a) Daley was both feared and respected by the hard fighting politicians in Chicago.
(b) Daley was seen as an uncouth opportunist who took advantage of the misfortunes of his political opponenets.
(c) Richard Daley was suspected of being corrupt and unworthy of trust for several years.
(d) Richard Daley became Chairman of the Cook County Democratic Party.
3. How many patronage jobs did Vito Marzullo have for his precinct?
(d) 400 per zip code.
4. What is the name of a famous criminal that Mayor Big Bill Thompson allowed to walk freely through the streets of Chicago?
(a) John Dillinger.
(b) Al Capone.
(c) Bugs Moran.
(d) "Pretty Boy" Floyd.
5. How were many of the precinct committee positions earned through the years?
(a) Through paying for favors or graft.
(b) Through hard work or devotion.
(c) Through winning public support for a cause or virtue.
(d) Through family connections or nepotism.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Daley choose to begin his urban renewal projects?
2. What happened when the incumbent mayor before Richard Daley made his appeal before the Cook County Central Committee that was chaired by Daley?
3. How did Richard Daley's day begin and end?
4. What made the Cook County Democratic Central Committee so powerful?
5. Why did Richard Daley visit the Democrat Party headquarters after city council meetings?
This section contains 486 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)