|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter VII.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year did Richard Daley win the Chairmanship of the Cook County Democratic Party?
2. Why did some members of the Cook County Democratic Central Committee believe that Richard Daley was not suited for the position of Chairman?
(a) He was thought to be indecisive.
(b) He was too conservative.
(c) Some saw him as too liberal.
(d) His professional background was considered to be to controversial.
3. Who did Richard Daley help to get nominated for the 1956 Democratic candidate for president?
(a) Harry Truman.
(b) Adalai Stevenson.
(c) John F. Kennedy.
(d) Dwight D. Eisenhower.
4. What skills did Richard Daley learn in the Christian Brothers technical school?
(a) Typing and shorthand for a secretarial position.
(b) Smelting and extruding for iron workers.
(c) Jabbing and dodging for boxers.
(d) Welding a pipefitting for plumbers.
5. What was one of the issues that members of the Democratic Central Committee used to oppose Richard Daley during his campaign to become Chairman of the Cook County Democratic Central Committee?
(a) Richard Daley wanted to limit the influence of the Federal Government.
(b) Richard Daley favored immigration control.
(c) Richard Daley was too liberal and too connected to new Democrats.
(d) Richard Daley wanted to crack down harder on crime.
Short Answer Questions
1. Richard Daley and who else knew how many patronage jobs existed?
2. Who was the Democrat official who became a rival to Daley in his climb to the chairmanship of the Democratic Central Committee?
3. Daley did not personally attack his opponent, but what was one of the things the Democratic Machine did during the election?
4. What made the Cook County Democratic Central Committee so powerful?
5. What did Richard Daley do if an ex-convict applied for a patronage job?
This section contains 400 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)