|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter VII.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the result of Richard Daley's hard work with the Democratic Central Committee?
(a) Street repairs for Chicago received sufficient funding.
(b) Influence of Republicans was almost eliminated.
(c) Chicago became the model of political efficiency.
(d) Crime was reduced dramatically.
2. Who did Richard Daley usually see first when he arrived at his office?
(a) The press.
(b) The Chief of Police.
(c) His chief of staff.
(d) His secretary.
3. How did Richard Daley's talent affect the 1948 election?
(a) He was able to organize campaign ralleys that helped Harry Truman win the presidential election.
(b) His ability to turn out votes helped Harry Truman win the presidential election.
(c) He knew how to use his office to raise funds.
(d) He developed campaign ads that made people believe that Thomas Dewey was planning to desegregate Chicago.
4. Why did a particular important figure frustrate Richard Daley during the period of protests against segregated neighborhoods?
(a) Martin Luther King frustrated Daley because he had no control over Dr. King when he caused bad publicity with his protests.
(b) President Kennedy frustrated Daley because he did little to offer political support during the turmoil.
(c) William Kunstler frustrated Daley because he was continually threatening legal action on the injustices Dr. King publicized.
(d) Police Chief Wilson frustrated Daley because he treated African-American protestors with a light touch, and per their agreement Wilson was the one official Daley could not boss around.
5. What was the first stop that Richard Daley made everyday?
(a) St. Peter's for Daily Mass.
(b) A convenience store for a newspaper and a cup of coffee.
(c) A local coffee shop for a doughnut.
(d) Chicago City Hall.
Short Answer Questions
1. Royko reported that ___________ were not upset with Richard Daley's abuses of power.
2. According to Royko, What will be the most-remembered political legacy of Richard Daley?
3. What race-related issue did Richard Daley face during his early second term?
4. Richard Daley and who else knew how many patronage jobs existed?
5. How were many of the precinct committee positions earned through the years?
This section contains 401 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)