|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter VII.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did a particular important figure frustrate Richard Daley during the period of protests against segregated neighborhoods?
(a) Martin Luther King frustrated Daley because he had no control over Dr. King when he caused bad publicity with his protests.
(b) President Kennedy frustrated Daley because he did little to offer political support during the turmoil.
(c) William Kunstler frustrated Daley because he was continually threatening legal action on the injustices Dr. King publicized.
(d) Police Chief Wilson frustrated Daley because he treated African-American protestors with a light touch, and per their agreement Wilson was the one official Daley could not boss around.
2. What was among the influences for which Vito Marzullo was well known?
(a) Selecting judges.
(b) Finding new political talent.
(c) "Voting the graveyard."
(d) Eliminated political enemies.
3. Where were the headquarters of the Chicago Democrat Party in relation to Richard Daley's office?
(a) Near Comisky Park.
(b) In the public library.
(c) Across the street.
(d) On the south side of Michigan Avenue.
4. What were the qualifications that a ward committeeman had to prove to get appointed to the head of a city department?
(a) They had to have or be working toward a master's degree related to the position for which they were contending.
(b) A clean criminal background and at lease five years experience in a related field.
(c) They had to deliver huge number of votes for Democrat candidates.
(d) They had to have an attractive resume filled with achievements that could be verified.
5. What happened to Richard Daley's chief opponent for Cook County Democratic Chairman shortly before the election?
(a) He withdrew because of health reasons.
(b) He mysteriously disappeared.
(c) He died of a heart attack.
(d) He died in an auto accident.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was among the promises that Daley made during the campaign?
2. Who was the Republican candidate opposing Richard Daley in the 1955 Chicago mayoral election?
3. Who was the president who appointed Abraham Marovitz and what year was it done?
4. Who did Richard Daley help to get nominated for the 1956 Democratic candidate for president?
5. Richard Daley had a role in getting Abraham Marovitz appointed to what position?
This section contains 422 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)