|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter VII.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of a famous criminal that Mayor Big Bill Thompson allowed to walk freely through the streets of Chicago?
(a) John Dillinger.
(b) Al Capone.
(c) Bugs Moran.
(d) "Pretty Boy" Floyd.
2. Daley did not personally attack his opponent, but what was one of the things the Democratic Machine did during the election?
(a) It doctored documents that showed Daley's opponent stole public money for his business.
(b) It passed around photographs suggesting Daley's opponenet was having an illicit affair.
(c) It stole yard signs of Daley's opponent.
(d) It passed around Merriam's divorce papers in Catholic neighborhoods.
3. How did Richard Daley's talent affect the 1948 election?
(a) His ability to turn out votes helped Harry Truman win the presidential election.
(b) He knew how to use his office to raise funds.
(c) He was able to organize campaign ralleys that helped Harry Truman win the presidential election.
(d) He developed campaign ads that made people believe that Thomas Dewey was planning to desegregate Chicago.
4. What was in the front and back of Richard Daley's house?
(b) Roman Catholic statuary.
(c) A spacious lawn.
(d) Chicago police officers.
5. What nickname did Richard Daley earn while national attention was focused on Chicago?
(a) "Dick the builder."
(b) "Dick the bruiser."
(c) "Daley the developer."
(d) "Richard the lionhearted."
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom did Richard Daley become most upset during the time of growing racial conflict?
2. Why did a particular important figure frustrate Richard Daley during the period of protests against segregated neighborhoods?
3. Why did Royko suggest that immigrants were tolerant of Richard Daley's abuses of power?
4. Richard Daley had a role in getting Abraham Marovitz appointed to what position?
5. According to Royko, What will be the most-remembered political legacy of Richard Daley?
This section contains 446 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)