|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter VII.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Richard Daley became connected with a judge named Abraham Lincoln Marovitz. How did they meet?
(a) They met when Marovitz was a young prosecutor and Daley was a clerk in the City Council.
(b) They met at the wedding of Daley and his wife.
(c) They met when Marovitz was prosecuting one of Daley's gangster friends.
(d) They met when Daley took his only defense stand against Marovitz.
2. What did Richard Daley persist in calling Chicago O'Hare International Airport?
(a) Kennedy International.
(b) The Chicago Airstrip.
(d) The Airfield.
3. In Chicago City Hall, Richard Daley was known by all of the following except:
(a) Duh Mare.
(b) The Big Guy.
(c) The Man on the Fifth.
4. What was Richard Daley able to accomplish with the additional funding that the Republican Governor of Illinois granted to Chicago in 1956?
(a) Show the voters who could not afford a car that he would help them get to work.
(b) Show the parents of school children that he wanted to improve education.
(c) Show decision makers in Washington that he could support their plans.
(d) Begin new construction and present tangible proof to the voters that he is wasting no time in improving the city.
5. After the inauguration of John F. Kennedy, how many people were considered to be more powerful than Richard Daley?
(a) President Kennedy, Speaker of the House Sam Rayburn, and Vice President Lyndon B. Johnson.
(b) President Kennedy, Speaker of the House Sam Rayburn, Vice President Lyndon B. Johnson and former Secretary of State John Foster Dulles.
(c) President Kennedy and Sam Rayburn.
(d) Just President Kennedy.
Short Answer Questions
1. Richard Daley had a role in getting Abraham Marovitz appointed to what position?
2. Why did a particular important figure frustrate Richard Daley during the period of protests against segregated neighborhoods?
3. What defined the geographic areas of Chicago?
4. What are patronage jobs?
5. How did Royko describe Richard Daley's response to political brawls in Chicago?
This section contains 493 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)