|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter V.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What were some of the other visible changes that Richard Daley made during his first year as mayor?
(a) He hired more cops and firemen, and he improved roads and street lighting.
(b) He improved roads and streets, established a new bus system, and added an additional day to trash pick-up.
(c) He established a new bus system, converted empty lots into city parks, and added a day to trash pick-up.
(d) He hired more cops and firemen, converted empty lots into city parks, and established a new bus system.
2. When was the Introduction written?
(a) After Daley won his last election.
(b) One day after Richard Daley died.
(c) While Daley was convalescing in the hospital.
(d) After an interview of Daley's widow.
3. What supplemental role did the Chicago Police Department perform for Richard Daley?
(a) It would accomany him to important public meetings.
(b) It acted as his spy division.
(c) It provided security for visiting dignitaries.
(d) It made itself available for security to the Democrat Party.
4. Why did Richard Daley make the unusual move?
(a) He knew he would be spending long hours at work and wanted to cut down the time he was away from his family.
(b) Many people in the previous administration did not trust Daley and thought him paranoid.
(c) A new chairman might do what he did--replace Daley with himself.
(d) He wanted to show everyone that the Democrat Machine was going to tighten its control over Chicago.
5. What made the Cook County Democratic Central Committee so powerful?
(a) It had direct links to Harry Truman.
(b) It set Democratic Party policy in Chicago and Cook County.
(c) It was led by Adalai Stevenson.
(d) It was directed from Washington, D.C.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Royko suggest that immigrants were tolerant of Richard Daley's abuses of power?
2. Who did Richard Daley help to get nominated for the 1956 Democratic candidate for president?
3. Richard Daley became connected with a judge named Abraham Lincoln Marovitz. How did they meet?
4. What nickname did Richard Daley earn while national attention was focused on Chicago?
5. Who was the president who appointed Abraham Marovitz and what year was it done?
This section contains 458 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)