|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter V.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Royko describe Richard Daley's response to political brawls in Chicago?
(a) He would take sides and use his power to crush his opponents.
(b) He would call a truce and negotiate between the warring factions.
(c) He would ignore it had let it take its course.
(d) He'd sit in the middle of it all and and look as happy as a kid at a birthday party.
2. What are patronage jobs?
(a) Service jobs that the government must provide.
(b) Make-work jobs that have no real function.
(c) Public jobs that are issued through political connections.
(d) The name for jobs that have no other definition.
3. How were many of the precinct committee positions earned through the years?
(a) Through winning public support for a cause or virtue.
(b) Through hard work or devotion.
(c) Through paying for favors or graft.
(d) Through family connections or nepotism.
4. What were the campaign issues pressed by the Republican candidate in the 1955 Chicago mayoral election?
(a) Corruption in the Police Department and the Democratic Machine.
(b) School funding and violent crime.
(c) Equal rights and desegregation.
(d) Inconsistent garbage removal and government waste.
5. What happened when the incumbent mayor before Richard Daley made his appeal before the Cook County Central Committee that was chaired by Daley?
(a) He died in an auto accident days before the election and Daley appointed himself as candidate after the death.
(b) He declared that he changed parties to Republican and ran with that party.
(c) Daley was drafted to run for Mayor.
(d) He was fired by the committee and Daley appointed himself.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was among the influences for which Vito Marzullo was well known?
2. How did ward committeemen use their influence to encourage participation in elections?
3. What is the topic of Chapter I?
4. How were patronage jobs issued in Chicago?
5. What was Richard Daley's family background?
This section contains 435 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)