|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter V.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What past time of Joe McDonough helped Richard Daley earn political status and why?
(a) McDonough was a philanderer so Daley began to sow the seeds of McDonugh's humiliation.
(b) McDonough was a widely reputed alcoholic so Daley's departure was considered wise.
(c) McDonough enjoyed deep sea diving and left the office frequently to Daley's care.
(d) McDonough spent much time at race tracks allowing Daley fill the responsibilities of McDonough's office.
2. What would Richard Daley do if he discovered one of his married, Catholic appointees was having an affair?
(a) He would encourge him to get marriage counceling.
(b) He would ignore it if he was a popular official.
(c) He would see to it that his public service career in Chicago came to an end.
(d) He would get pictures of the officials indiscretions and use them to coerce his cooperation.
3. Where did the Introduction first appear?
(a) New York Times.
(b) Chicago Sun-Times.
(c) Chicago Herald.
(d) Chicago Tribune.
4. What major political event was guided by Richard Daley's leadership in 1956?
(a) President Dwight D. Eisenhower's announcement that he was running for re-election.
(b) The Democratic National Convention.
(c) Vice President Richard Nixon's "Kitchen Debate" with Nikita Nikita Khrushchev.
(d) Harry Truman held up a copy of the Chicago Tribune that announced, "Dewey Defeats Truman!"
5. What did Richard Daley receive when he finally became Chairman of the Cook County Democratic Party?
(a) Direct access to politicians from around the country.
(b) Control over his own political machine.
(c) Police protection for him and his family.
(d) Access to funds from the National Democratic Party to use at his whims.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the first stop that Richard Daley made everyday?
2. How did Richard Daley regard suggestions from Independent members of the City Council?
3. According to Royko, What will be the most-remembered political legacy of Richard Daley?
4. What did Richard Daley provide these organizations to maintain their support?
5. Richard Daley and who else knew how many patronage jobs existed?
This section contains 499 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)