|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter V.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was one of Richard Daley's first achievements as mayor?
(a) He established a new affordable bus service to enhance mass transit.
(b) He sought and received increased tax revenue through the Republican Governor of Illinois.
(c) He won additional funds for Chicago public schools.
(d) He got federal funds to make Chicago streets part of the Interstate Highway system.
2. What role did Joe McDonough play in shaping Richard Daley's political career?
(a) He rented a room to Daley so he could get to work on time.
(b) He introduced Daley to his wife.
(c) He taught Daley the ins and outs of Chicago's political machine.
(d) He chose Daley as his Chief of Staff.
3. In what year did Richard Daley win the Chairmanship of the Cook County Democratic Party?
4. How did ward committeemen use their influence to encourage participation in elections?
(a) He would tell them, "If you don't vote, you might lose your public housing."
(b) He would tell them, "Now that you are American it is you civic duty to vote."
(c) He would tell them, "Voting makes you as powerful as the people in elected office."
(d) He would tell them, "Voting helps you protect the freedoms for which you left your homeland."
5. Who was the president that Richard Daley supposedly helped to elect?
(a) John F. Kennedy.
(b) Lyndon Baines Johnson.
(c) Harry S. Truman.
(d) Adalai Stevenson.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Richard Daley present himself as in his first campaign for Mayor?
2. What is the topic for Chapter IV?
3. In what year was Richard Daley born?
4. How were patronage jobs issued in Chicago?
5. How did Richard Daley's talent affect the 1948 election?
This section contains 417 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)