|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter V.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Royko consider Richard Daley to be a believable father figure to Chicagoans?
(a) He looked old and bald like a father.
(b) He was like many fathers who worked long hours and said what he meant.
(c) He liked sitting in a rocker during public meetings.
(d) He frequently attended weddings and gave away the bride.
2. Richard Daley and who else knew how many patronage jobs existed?
(a) The President of the United States.
(b) The Mayor of Chicago.
(c) No one.
(d) The Governor of Illinois.
3. What organizations gave Richard Daley his most loyal support?
(a) Labor unions.
(b) Public schools.
(c) Law enforcement agencies.
(d) Bowling leagues.
4. What did Richard Daley receive when he finally became Chairman of the Cook County Democratic Party?
(a) Police protection for him and his family.
(b) Access to funds from the National Democratic Party to use at his whims.
(c) Direct access to politicians from around the country.
(d) Control over his own political machine.
5. How were patronage jobs issued in Chicago?
(a) They were bid upon by qualified candidates.
(b) The mayor gave them to the precinct where he had the most friends.
(c) Applications were taken and candidates went through a stringent interview process.
(d) They were distributed to ward committeemen who delivered the highest voter turnout.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the Republican candidate opposing Richard Daley in the 1955 Chicago mayoral election?
2. What was Richard Daley's advice to city officials getting money on the sly?
3. What did Richard Daley do if an ex-convict applied for a patronage job?
4. Who did Richard Daley help to get nominated for the 1956 Democratic candidate for president?
5. Royko reported that _______________ were most suspicious of Richard Daley.
This section contains 339 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)