|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter V.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Joe McDonough was elected to County Treasurer, what happened to Richard Daley?
(a) Daley decided to set his own course and run for state senate.
(b) The two split and Daley continued to pursue his career in City Hall.
(c) McDonough kept Daley in his office as an aide.
(d) Daley was left in Chicago City Hall where he eventually became a rival to McDonough.
2. What did Richard Daley leave behind after his death?
(a) Huge public deficits that are still being paid off.
(b) A "gouging, grabbing, tripping" fight for his power.
(c) A wife and three sons.
(d) A modest home on the southside of Chicago.
3. How did Richard Daley regard suggestions from Independent members of the City Council?
(a) He sent them to a subcomittee where they eventually die.
(b) He would contemplete them carefully upon their merits.
(c) He would send his Chief of Staff to the council member to coerce his/her silence.
(d) He would fly into a purple rage and publicly humilate those who proposed them.
4. What would Richard Daley do if he discovered one of his married, Catholic appointees was having an affair?
(a) He would encourge him to get marriage counceling.
(b) He would ignore it if he was a popular official.
(c) He would see to it that his public service career in Chicago came to an end.
(d) He would get pictures of the officials indiscretions and use them to coerce his cooperation.
5. What was the profession of Mike Royko, author of "Boss: Richard J. Daley of Chicago"?
(a) Author and city official in Chicago.
(b) Author and newspaper columnist with three Chicago newspapers.
(c) First baseman for the Chicago Cubs.
(d) Author and television commentator with several Chicago television stations.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was among the influences for which Vito Marzullo was well known?
2. What happened to Richard Daley's chief opponent for Cook County Democratic Chairman shortly before the election?
3. Royko reported that ___________ were not upset with Richard Daley's abuses of power.
4. What were the qualifications that a ward committeeman had to prove to get appointed to the head of a city department?
5. Why did Royko consider Richard Daley to be a believable father figure to Chicagoans?
This section contains 484 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)