|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter V.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Richard Daley provide these organizations to maintain their support?
(a) He worked to get government grants to provide law enforcement officials with the most up-to-date weaponry and forensic equipment.
(b) He influenced bowling alleys throughout Chicago to provide free league nights.
(c) He used public revenues to assure that the Chicago Public Schools System was fully funded and materials were easily made available.
(d) He paid at the top of the scale in union wages and provided an unending stream of massive public works projects requiring union workers.
2. What did Richard Daley receive when he finally became Chairman of the Cook County Democratic Party?
(a) Access to funds from the National Democratic Party to use at his whims.
(b) Control over his own political machine.
(c) Police protection for him and his family.
(d) Direct access to politicians from around the country.
3. What public office traditionally rose through the Chicago Democratic political system?
(b) Chief of Police.
(c) City Manager.
(d) U.S. Senator.
4. What is the name of a famous criminal that Mayor Big Bill Thompson allowed to walk freely through the streets of Chicago?
(a) Al Capone.
(b) Bugs Moran.
(c) John Dillinger.
(d) "Pretty Boy" Floyd.
5. What did Richard Daley leave behind after his death?
(a) A "gouging, grabbing, tripping" fight for his power.
(b) Huge public deficits that are still being paid off.
(c) A modest home on the southside of Chicago.
(d) A wife and three sons.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Richard Daley able to accomplish with the additional funding that the Republican Governor of Illinois granted to Chicago in 1956?
2. What was among the influences for which Vito Marzullo was well known?
3. How were many of the precinct committee positions earned through the years?
4. What was the reputation of the mayor who preceded Richard Daley?
5. Why did Royko consider Richard Daley to be a believable father figure to Chicagoans?
This section contains 458 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)