|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter IV.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What past time of Joe McDonough helped Richard Daley earn political status and why?
(a) McDonough enjoyed deep sea diving and left the office frequently to Daley's care.
(b) McDonough was a philanderer so Daley began to sow the seeds of McDonugh's humiliation.
(c) McDonough was a widely reputed alcoholic so Daley's departure was considered wise.
(d) McDonough spent much time at race tracks allowing Daley fill the responsibilities of McDonough's office.
2. To what or whom did Royko compare Richard Daley's character?
(a) The City of Chicago.
(b) George Washington.
(c) A kindly father figure.
(d) John F. Kennedy.
3. What is the name of a famous criminal that Mayor Big Bill Thompson allowed to walk freely through the streets of Chicago?
(a) "Pretty Boy" Floyd.
(b) Al Capone.
(c) Bugs Moran.
(d) John Dillinger.
4. What organizations gave Richard Daley his most loyal support?
(a) Labor unions.
(b) Law enforcement agencies.
(c) Public schools.
(d) Bowling leagues.
5. What did Richard Daley receive when he finally became Chairman of the Cook County Democratic Party?
(a) Access to funds from the National Democratic Party to use at his whims.
(b) Control over his own political machine.
(c) Direct access to politicians from around the country.
(d) Police protection for him and his family.
Short Answer Questions
1. What supplemental role did the Chicago Police Department perform for Richard Daley?
2. What would Richard Daley do if he discovered one of his married, Catholic appointees was having an affair?
3. Why did some members of the Cook County Democratic Central Committee believe that Richard Daley was not suited for the position of Chairman?
4. When was the Introduction written?
5. What was among the influences for which Vito Marzullo was well known?
This section contains 401 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)