|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter IV.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the result of Richard Daley's hard work with the Democratic Central Committee?
(a) Chicago became the model of political efficiency.
(b) Crime was reduced dramatically.
(c) Street repairs for Chicago received sufficient funding.
(d) Influence of Republicans was almost eliminated.
2. What was one of the issues that members of the Democratic Central Committee used to oppose Richard Daley during his campaign to become Chairman of the Cook County Democratic Central Committee?
(a) Richard Daley wanted to crack down harder on crime.
(b) Richard Daley was too liberal and too connected to new Democrats.
(c) Richard Daley favored immigration control.
(d) Richard Daley wanted to limit the influence of the Federal Government.
3. When Joe McDonough was elected to County Treasurer, what happened to Richard Daley?
(a) Daley was left in Chicago City Hall where he eventually became a rival to McDonough.
(b) McDonough kept Daley in his office as an aide.
(c) The two split and Daley continued to pursue his career in City Hall.
(d) Daley decided to set his own course and run for state senate.
4. What was Richard Daley's family background?
(a) German farm stock.
(b) British gentry.
(c) Irish Catholic.
(d) Polish laborer.
5. In his earlier years as Chicago Mayor, Richard Daley walked down Michigan Avenue to greet people. Why did he stop the practice?
(a) The walk in the early morning air was hard on his declining health.
(b) The neighborhood became run-down and embarrassing.
(c) People who protested his power were a potential threat to his safety.
(d) He moved to a new, spacious house which made a trip to Michigan for a walk impractical.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chicago City Hall, Richard Daley was known by all of the following except:
2. To whom was Richard Daley most loyal according to Royko?
3. What did Royko describe as Richard Daley's character traits?
4. What did people have to do to stay safe in Chicago while Richard Daley was growing up?
5. To what or whom did Royko compare Richard Daley's character?
This section contains 406 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)