|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter IV.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Richard Daley do through the evenings of the 1920's after he was finished with his day job with the City?
(a) He tended bar for several illegal speakeasies.
(b) He drove a truck delivering coal to factories.
(c) He wrote campaign speeches for Democrat dignitaries.
(d) He attended DePaul Law School.
2. When did Richard Daley prepare for speeches he gave to civic organizations?
(a) During weekends when he did not work.
(b) Over dinners with his wife.
(c) On his way to the speech.
(d) During free time he had over the week before he gave his speech.
3. What would Richard Daley do if he discovered one of his married, Catholic appointees was having an affair?
(a) He would see to it that his public service career in Chicago came to an end.
(b) He would encourge him to get marriage counceling.
(c) He would get pictures of the officials indiscretions and use them to coerce his cooperation.
(d) He would ignore it if he was a popular official.
4. What was the most important rule Richard Daley learned from Joe McDonough?
(a) Keep a stiff upper lip.
(b) Don't look back, something may be gaining on you.
(c) Don't call us, we'll call you.
(d) Don't get caught.
5. Why did some members of the Cook County Democratic Central Committee believe that Richard Daley was not suited for the position of Chairman?
(a) He was thought to be indecisive.
(b) His professional background was considered to be to controversial.
(c) Some saw him as too liberal.
(d) He was too conservative.
Short Answer Questions
1. What would happen to ward committeemen if they did not deliver votes on election day?
2. What was the result to Richard Daley from the unusual circumstance of Clarence Wagner dropping out of the contest for Chairman of the Cook County Democratic Central Committee?
3. Who was the president that Richard Daley supposedly helped to elect?
4. Upon what has Richard Daley's quick rise in political influence been credited?
5. What skills did Richard Daley learn in the Christian Brothers technical school?
This section contains 504 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)