|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter IV.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what or whom did Royko compare Richard Daley's character?
(a) A kindly father figure.
(b) John F. Kennedy.
(c) The City of Chicago.
(d) George Washington.
2. What did Richard Daley leave behind after his death?
(a) A "gouging, grabbing, tripping" fight for his power.
(b) A modest home on the southside of Chicago.
(c) Huge public deficits that are still being paid off.
(d) A wife and three sons.
3. When Joe McDonough was elected to County Treasurer, what happened to Richard Daley?
(a) McDonough kept Daley in his office as an aide.
(b) Daley was left in Chicago City Hall where he eventually became a rival to McDonough.
(c) The two split and Daley continued to pursue his career in City Hall.
(d) Daley decided to set his own course and run for state senate.
4. Why did Royko suggest that immigrants were tolerant of Richard Daley's abuses of power?
(a) They were accustomed to czars, kings, and emperors using power like a club.
(b) They would get their kick-back.
(c) He abused power for their benefit.
(d) They knew if they were patient they would get theirs.
5. How were the various Chicago neighborhoods sustained economically?
(a) Each neighborhood had a connection with organized crime and rum runners.
(b) Each neighborhood was able to earn federal funds to support racial minorities.
(c) Each neighborhood had a core of entreprenuers who created jobs.
(d) Each neighborhood had industrial plants to employ local residents.
Short Answer Questions
1. What supplemental role did the Chicago Police Department perform for Richard Daley?
2. In what year did Richard Daley earn a position in the Cook County Democratic Central Committee?
3. If Chicagoans were disagreeable when they raised complaints to the city, how did Richard Daley regard their complaint?
4. What was the name of the lawyer who investigated the relationship between Daley and Marovitz?
5. How did Richard Daley's day begin and end?
This section contains 407 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)