|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter IV.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Royko suggest that immigrants were tolerant of Richard Daley's abuses of power?
(a) They knew if they were patient they would get theirs.
(b) They would get their kick-back.
(c) He abused power for their benefit.
(d) They were accustomed to czars, kings, and emperors using power like a club.
2. What did Richard Daley provide these organizations to maintain their support?
(a) He worked to get government grants to provide law enforcement officials with the most up-to-date weaponry and forensic equipment.
(b) He influenced bowling alleys throughout Chicago to provide free league nights.
(c) He paid at the top of the scale in union wages and provided an unending stream of massive public works projects requiring union workers.
(d) He used public revenues to assure that the Chicago Public Schools System was fully funded and materials were easily made available.
3. What did Richard Daley do if an ex-convict applied for a patronage job?
(a) Ignore their presence on the list.
(b) Verified with their sponsor that they are now clean.
(c) Checked to make sure that the police know where they are.
(d) Sent them a polite form letter telling them their quaifications will be considered.
4. What would ward committeemen do if they could not win election to an additional public office?
(a) They would give themselves the best patronage jobs.
(b) They were given prime jobs running city departments.
(c) They would make additional money running a protection racket through the Chicago Police Department.
(d) They would operate their own business that was given preferential treatment by the city government.
5. Where did the Introduction first appear?
(a) Chicago Sun-Times.
(b) Chicago Herald.
(c) Chicago Tribune.
(d) New York Times.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year did Richard Daley earn a position in the Cook County Democratic Central Committee?
2. What was Richard Daley's family background?
3. What happened to Richard Daley's chief opponent for Cook County Democratic Chairman shortly before the election?
4. How were many of the precinct committee positions earned through the years?
5. What was the most important rule Richard Daley learned from Joe McDonough?
This section contains 402 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)