|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter II.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Royko consider Richard Daley to be a believable father figure to Chicagoans?
(a) He liked sitting in a rocker during public meetings.
(b) He frequently attended weddings and gave away the bride.
(c) He looked old and bald like a father.
(d) He was like many fathers who worked long hours and said what he meant.
2. To what or whom did Royko compare Richard Daley's character?
(a) John F. Kennedy.
(b) A kindly father figure.
(c) The City of Chicago.
(d) George Washington.
3. Upon what has Richard Daley's quick rise in political influence been credited?
(a) His membership in a club named the Hamburgs that spawned a number of successful Chicago politicians.
(b) His unique skill as an orator to persuade even the most seasoned officeholder to take action.
(c) His quiet and earnest work to help all voters get to the polls.
(d) His ability to see and negotiate his way through conflict.
4. How often were Richard Daley's phones checked for bugs?
(a) Twice a day.
(d) Twice a week.
5. What skills did Richard Daley learn in the Christian Brothers technical school?
(a) Typing and shorthand for a secretarial position.
(b) Smelting and extruding for iron workers.
(c) Jabbing and dodging for boxers.
(d) Welding a pipefitting for plumbers.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom was Richard Daley most loyal according to Royko?
2. In his earlier years as Chicago Mayor, Richard Daley walked down Michigan Avenue to greet people. Why did he stop the practice?
3. How did Richard Daley's day begin and end?
4. How did Royko describe Richard Daley's response to political brawls in Chicago?
5. What is the name of a famous criminal that Mayor Big Bill Thompson allowed to walk freely through the streets of Chicago?
This section contains 433 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)