|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter II.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the topic for Chapter II?
(a) Richard Daley comes of age.
(b) Chicago and organized crime.
(c) Richard Daley's rough life.
(d) Chicago models apartied.
2. When Joe McDonough was elected to County Treasurer, what happened to Richard Daley?
(a) McDonough kept Daley in his office as an aide.
(b) Daley decided to set his own course and run for state senate.
(c) The two split and Daley continued to pursue his career in City Hall.
(d) Daley was left in Chicago City Hall where he eventually became a rival to McDonough.
3. What skills did Richard Daley learn in the Christian Brothers technical school?
(a) Jabbing and dodging for boxers.
(b) Welding a pipefitting for plumbers.
(c) Smelting and extruding for iron workers.
(d) Typing and shorthand for a secretarial position.
4. Why is the Chicago race riot of 1919 an important event in Richard Daley's history?
(a) He was rumoured to be a leader of one of the gangs involved in violence.
(b) He was nearly killed in a counter attack that took place on the street where he lived.
(c) He used his negotiating skills to calm down competing gangs.
(d) The violence forced his family to move where he made contacts that shaped his career.
5. In his earlier years as Chicago Mayor, Richard Daley walked down Michigan Avenue to greet people. Why did he stop the practice?
(a) The walk in the early morning air was hard on his declining health.
(b) He moved to a new, spacious house which made a trip to Michigan for a walk impractical.
(c) People who protested his power were a potential threat to his safety.
(d) The neighborhood became run-down and embarrassing.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the most important rule Richard Daley learned from Joe McDonough?
2. When was the Introduction written?
3. How were the various Chicago neighborhoods sustained economically?
4. According to Royko, What will be the most-remembered political legacy of Richard Daley?
5. Royko reported that _______________ were most suspicious of Richard Daley.
This section contains 430 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)