|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter IX.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year did Richard Daley earn a position in the Cook County Democratic Central Committee?
2. What is a campaign tactic that Richard Daley used against all of his election opponents?
(a) He would have public debates against the opponent and stack the audience in his favor.
(b) On election day he had public works projects on streets for polling sites in precincts where he feared losing.
(c) The Chicago Democrat Machine spread scandalous stories about the opponent that was either false or irrelevant, but Daley kept himself detatched from the stories.
(d) He campaigned door-to-door in precincts where he was polling behind his opponent.
3. What skills did Richard Daley learn in the Christian Brothers technical school?
(a) Smelting and extruding for iron workers.
(b) Welding a pipefitting for plumbers.
(c) Typing and shorthand for a secretarial position.
(d) Jabbing and dodging for boxers.
4. What were some of the other visible changes that Richard Daley made during his first year as mayor?
(a) He hired more cops and firemen, converted empty lots into city parks, and established a new bus system.
(b) He established a new bus system, converted empty lots into city parks, and added a day to trash pick-up.
(c) He improved roads and streets, established a new bus system, and added an additional day to trash pick-up.
(d) He hired more cops and firemen, and he improved roads and street lighting.
5. In what year was Richard Daley born?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Royko suggest that immigrants were tolerant of Richard Daley's abuses of power?
2. What is the topic for Chapter II?
3. What happened to honest officials in the department that became troublesome for Richard Daley?
4. What police action against a public gathering became a precursor to the Democratic National Convention?
5. What was the first unusual decision that Richard Daley made after he was elected mayor?
This section contains 523 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)