|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter IX.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Richard Daley leave behind after his death?
(a) Huge public deficits that are still being paid off.
(b) A wife and three sons.
(c) A "gouging, grabbing, tripping" fight for his power.
(d) A modest home on the southside of Chicago.
2. Upon what has Richard Daley's quick rise in political influence been credited?
(a) His unique skill as an orator to persuade even the most seasoned officeholder to take action.
(b) His quiet and earnest work to help all voters get to the polls.
(c) His membership in a club named the Hamburgs that spawned a number of successful Chicago politicians.
(d) His ability to see and negotiate his way through conflict.
3. In Chicago City Hall, Richard Daley was known by all of the following except:
(b) Duh Mare.
(c) The Man on the Fifth.
(d) The Big Guy.
4. What kind of speaking style did Daley have?
(a) Smooth, soothing, and inspiring.
(b) Rapid, pointed, and evasive.
(c) Amusing, friendly, and relaxing.
(d) Coarse, blunt, and direct.
5. How did Richard Daley regard suggestions from Independent members of the City Council?
(a) He would fly into a purple rage and publicly humilate those who proposed them.
(b) He sent them to a subcomittee where they eventually die.
(c) He would contemplete them carefully upon their merits.
(d) He would send his Chief of Staff to the council member to coerce his/her silence.
Short Answer Questions
1. Daley did not personally attack his opponent, but what was one of the things the Democratic Machine did during the election?
2. What skills did Richard Daley learn in the Christian Brothers technical school?
3. When did Richard Daley prepare for speeches he gave to civic organizations?
4. Who was the president who appointed Abraham Marovitz and what year was it done?
5. What personal relationship was Richard Daley maintaining that gave him the incentive to do well when he was working for Joe McDonough in the Cook County Treasurer's Office?
This section contains 449 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)