|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter IX.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What were the campaign issues pressed by the Republican candidate in the 1955 Chicago mayoral election?
(a) Equal rights and desegregation.
(b) Inconsistent garbage removal and government waste.
(c) Corruption in the Police Department and the Democratic Machine.
(d) School funding and violent crime.
2. With whom did Richard Daley become most upset during the time of growing racial conflict?
(a) Civil Rights lawyer William Kunstler.
(b) Police Chief Orlando Wilson.
(c) Civil Rights activist Martin Luther King.
(d) President Kennedy.
3. How did Richard Daley address the corruption within the city government?
(a) He tried to blow the bad news off the front pages with big, circus-like events.
(b) He personally took charge and fired or incarcerated offenders.
(c) He hired a P.R. firm to put a positive spin on the controversies.
(d) He had meetings with corrupt officials and reminded them of his basic creed, "Don't get caught."
4. How many protesters arrived in Chicago for the 1968 Democratic National Convention?
5. What was Richard Daley able to accomplish with the additional funding that the Republican Governor of Illinois granted to Chicago in 1956?
(a) Show the voters who could not afford a car that he would help them get to work.
(b) Show the parents of school children that he wanted to improve education.
(c) Begin new construction and present tangible proof to the voters that he is wasting no time in improving the city.
(d) Show decision makers in Washington that he could support their plans.
Short Answer Questions
1. Besides protesters, who else did security forces target for harassment during the 1968 Democratic National Convention?
2. When did Richard Daley prepare for speeches he gave to civic organizations?
3. How were many of the precinct committee positions earned through the years?
4. To what or whom did Royko compare Richard Daley's character?
5. What defined the geographic areas of Chicago?
This section contains 377 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)