|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter IX.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What were the qualifications that a ward committeeman had to prove to get appointed to the head of a city department?
(a) They had to have or be working toward a master's degree related to the position for which they were contending.
(b) They had to have an attractive resume filled with achievements that could be verified.
(c) They had to deliver huge number of votes for Democrat candidates.
(d) A clean criminal background and at lease five years experience in a related field.
2. What organizations gave Richard Daley his most loyal support?
(a) Public schools.
(b) Bowling leagues.
(c) Labor unions.
(d) Law enforcement agencies.
3. What caused an outbreak of fires and looting on Chicago's West Side African-American neighborhoods during Richard Daley's fourth term?
(a) The assassination of Martin Luther King.
(b) Daley ordering water to be cut off from fire hydrants in the area.
(c) Increased police abuse after the retirement of Police Chief Orlando Wilson.
(d) The retirement of Police Chief Orlando Wilson.
4. What did Martin Luther King do when Mayor Daley's actions did not satisfactorily address the problems of segregation?
(a) Dr. King left for Memphis, Tennessee where he was assassinated.
(b) Dr. King was arrested by Chicago police on a voter fraud charge.
(c) Dr. King began staging protest marches in white neighborhoods.
(d) Dr. King went to Washington, D.C. and delivered his "I have a dream" speech.
5. What happened to Richard Daley's chief opponent for Cook County Democratic Chairman shortly before the election?
(a) He mysteriously disappeared.
(b) He died in an auto accident.
(c) He withdrew because of health reasons.
(d) He died of a heart attack.
Short Answer Questions
1. What skills did Richard Daley learn in the Christian Brothers technical school?
2. What was the first unusual decision that Richard Daley made after he was elected mayor?
3. What event took place in Chicago during April that foretold conflict at the 1968 Democratic National Convention in Chicago?
4. To whom was Richard Daley most loyal according to Royko?
5. What did Royko describe as Richard Daley's character traits?
This section contains 464 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)