|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter IX.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What tactic did segregation opponents use to point out the problem of segregation in Chicago?
(a) African-American activists ignorned "Whites Only" signs on businesses and demanded service from the proprietors.
(b) They organized a sit-in of African-American activists at segregated public venues.
(c) African-American parents began enrolling their children in white schools near their homes.
(d) They rented a flat in Richard Daley's neighborhood and put up two African-American college students in the residence.
2. What were the issues that Richard Daley's opponent raised during the election before his fourth term?
(a) Increasing federal intrusion and insufficient education funding.
(b) Inadequate housing and bans against African-Americans in Chicago's labor unions.
(c) The increasing taxes on property and regulations against businesses.
(d) Daley's harsh law enforcement tactics and racial tension.
3. How did the attention news agencies gave to the April event set up what eventually occurred at the 1968 Democratic National Convention?
(a) Both political parties recognized that they would have to become more sensitive to demands from civil rights activists.
(b) McCarthy supporters were discounted as irrelevant and Eugene McCarthy quickly faded from the national stage of political influence.
(c) The lack of public attention to police abuse of peace marchers allowed Richard Daley to believe that the public was not concerned with their treatment.
(d) Middle class and middle aged voters began supporting abuse against antiwar protesters.
4. Royko reported that _______________ were most suspicious of Richard Daley.
(b) Outsiders to Chicago.
(c) Illinois governors.
5. Who was the Republican candidate opposing Richard Daley in the 1955 Chicago mayoral election?
(a) Vito Marzullo.
(b) Dan Rostenkowski.
(c) Martin Kennelly.
(d) Alderman Robert Merriam.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did segregation aid the Democratic political machine in Chicago?
2. What were the results of the election leading to Richard Daley's fourth term?
3. In what year did Richard Daley win the Chairmanship of the Cook County Democratic Party?
4. What did Martin Luther King do when Mayor Daley's actions did not satisfactorily address the problems of segregation?
5. What were the qualifications that a ward committeeman had to prove to get appointed to the head of a city department?
This section contains 542 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)