|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter IX.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In earlier times how did ward committeemen win influence over immigrants?
(a) They helped them fill out papers and figure out their taxes and licenses.
(b) They helped them get the forms that helped to keep them in the country.
(c) They dispatched henchmen to threaten them if they were not compliant.
(d) They helped them find homes and jobs.
2. What personal relationship was Richard Daley maintaining that gave him the incentive to do well when he was working for Joe McDonough in the Cook County Treasurer's Office?
(a) He started doing business with Joe Kennedy.
(b) He began working with a young politician named Adalai Stevenson.
(c) He served as liaison between Al Capone and his syndicate while he was in prison.
(d) He began dating his future wife, Eleanor.
3. What was among the influences for which Vito Marzullo was well known?
(a) "Voting the graveyard."
(b) Finding new political talent.
(c) Selecting judges.
(d) Eliminated political enemies.
4. How did segregation aid the Democratic political machine in Chicago?
(a) If blacks were allowed to move into white neighborhoods, the whites would be enraged, withdraw its political support for the party in power, and the Machine would collapse.
(b) Segregated precincts helped the Cook County Democratic Central Committee know where to apply pressure.
(c) Segregation helped the Cook County Democratic Central Committee know which votes to count and which to hold back.
(d) Segregated neighborhoods helped Mayor Daley know where to focus patronage.
5. What was Richard Daley's advice to city officials getting money on the sly?
(a) Don't get caught.
(b) Cut me in.
(c) Read him his rights.
(d) Find a lawyer.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom did Richard Daley become most upset during the time of growing racial conflict?
2. How old was Richard Daley when he became a precinct captain for a South Side ward?
3. What did Richard Daley do if an ex-convict applied for a patronage job?
4. Why did Richard Daley earn a nickname while he was using public funding for various public works projects?
5. Royko reported that ___________ were not upset with Richard Daley's abuses of power.
This section contains 451 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)