|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter IX.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happened when the incumbent mayor before Richard Daley made his appeal before the Cook County Central Committee that was chaired by Daley?
(a) Daley was drafted to run for Mayor.
(b) He died in an auto accident days before the election and Daley appointed himself as candidate after the death.
(c) He was fired by the committee and Daley appointed himself.
(d) He declared that he changed parties to Republican and ran with that party.
2. What police action against a public gathering became a precursor to the Democratic National Convention?
(a) McCarthy's antiwar supporters pledged to disrupt the convention if McCarthy was not nominated.
(b) Peace marchers ignored police orders to disperse and were beaten, maced, and arrested.
(c) Supporters of Senator Kennedy refused to pledge their support to any other candidate.
(d) Dr. King's assassination caused discontent within African-American delegations to the Convention.
3. What were the issues that Richard Daley's opponent raised during the election before his fourth term?
(a) Daley's harsh law enforcement tactics and racial tension.
(b) Increasing federal intrusion and insufficient education funding.
(c) The increasing taxes on property and regulations against businesses.
(d) Inadequate housing and bans against African-Americans in Chicago's labor unions.
4. What was the name of the lawyer who investigated the relationship between Daley and Marovitz?
(a) Thurgood Marshall.
(b) Johnny Cochran.
(c) William Kunstler.
(d) F. Lee Baily.
5. How did Royko describe Richard Daley's response to political brawls in Chicago?
(a) He would ignore it had let it take its course.
(b) He'd sit in the middle of it all and and look as happy as a kid at a birthday party.
(c) He would take sides and use his power to crush his opponents.
(d) He would call a truce and negotiate between the warring factions.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Richard Daley do through the evenings of the 1920's after he was finished with his day job with the City?
2. How deeply institutionalized was segregation in Chicago's city planning departments?
3. What event took place in Chicago during April that foretold conflict at the 1968 Democratic National Convention in Chicago?
4. What was one of Richard Daley's first achievements as mayor?
5. How often were Richard Daley's phones checked for bugs?
This section contains 571 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)