|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter IX.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Daley choose to begin his urban renewal projects?
(a) On the south side between Daley's Irish Catholic birthplace and an African-American neighborhood.
(b) An old Italian neighborhood known as the Valley.
(c) West Halsted Street near the Chicago International Amphitheatre where the 1968 Democrat National Convention was eventually held.
(d) Along Waveland Avenue near Wrigley Field.
2. What is a campaign tactic that Richard Daley used against all of his election opponents?
(a) The Chicago Democrat Machine spread scandalous stories about the opponent that was either false or irrelevant, but Daley kept himself detatched from the stories.
(b) He would have public debates against the opponent and stack the audience in his favor.
(c) On election day he had public works projects on streets for polling sites in precincts where he feared losing.
(d) He campaigned door-to-door in precincts where he was polling behind his opponent.
3. With whom did Richard Daley become most upset during the time of growing racial conflict?
(a) Police Chief Orlando Wilson.
(b) Civil Rights lawyer William Kunstler.
(c) Civil Rights activist Martin Luther King.
(d) President Kennedy.
4. Who did Richard Daley usually see first when he arrived at his office?
(a) His chief of staff.
(b) The Chief of Police.
(c) His secretary.
(d) The press.
5. What was Richard Daley's initial response to the 1960 police department scandal?
(a) He began drinking heavily.
(b) He made public attacks against people investigating the charges.
(c) He sequestered himself in his home out of shame.
(d) He stonewalled all investigations.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did people have to do to stay safe in Chicago while Richard Daley was growing up?
2. Who did Richard Daley replace at the beginning of his fourth term?
3. If Chicagoans were disagreeable when they raised complaints to the city, how did Richard Daley regard their complaint?
4. When did Richard Daley prepare for speeches he gave to civic organizations?
5. How were many of the precinct committee positions earned through the years?
This section contains 464 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)