|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter IX.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How were the various Chicago neighborhoods sustained economically?
(a) Each neighborhood had a core of entreprenuers who created jobs.
(b) Each neighborhood was able to earn federal funds to support racial minorities.
(c) Each neighborhood had industrial plants to employ local residents.
(d) Each neighborhood had a connection with organized crime and rum runners.
2. When did Richard Daley prepare for speeches he gave to civic organizations?
(a) During weekends when he did not work.
(b) During free time he had over the week before he gave his speech.
(c) Over dinners with his wife.
(d) On his way to the speech.
3. What was Richard Daley's advice to city officials getting money on the sly?
(a) Don't get caught.
(b) Read him his rights.
(c) Find a lawyer.
(d) Cut me in.
4. What was Richard Daley's response after a commission recommended that the police should treat blacks the same as whites?
(a) He ignored the recommendations and increased the use of force.
(b) He increased abuse against everybody.
(c) He assigned another commission under his control that recommended he keep his policies in place.
(d) He relented and began promoting a, "kinder and gentler," police force.
5. Why did a particular important figure frustrate Richard Daley during the period of protests against segregated neighborhoods?
(a) Police Chief Wilson frustrated Daley because he treated African-American protestors with a light touch, and per their agreement Wilson was the one official Daley could not boss around.
(b) President Kennedy frustrated Daley because he did little to offer political support during the turmoil.
(c) William Kunstler frustrated Daley because he was continually threatening legal action on the injustices Dr. King publicized.
(d) Martin Luther King frustrated Daley because he had no control over Dr. King when he caused bad publicity with his protests.
Short Answer Questions
1. What resulted from the high ranking personnel change that came to Daley at the beginning of his fourth term?
2. What would Richard Daley do if he discovered one of his married, Catholic appointees was having an affair?
3. What did Richard Daley receive when he finally became Chairman of the Cook County Democratic Party?
4. What was the year of the election for Richard Daley's fourth term?
5. How did Royko describe Richard Daley's response to political brawls in Chicago?
This section contains 539 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)