|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter IX.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year was Richard Daley born?
2. After the inauguration of John F. Kennedy, how many people were considered to be more powerful than Richard Daley?
(a) President Kennedy, Speaker of the House Sam Rayburn, and Vice President Lyndon B. Johnson.
(b) President Kennedy, Speaker of the House Sam Rayburn, Vice President Lyndon B. Johnson and former Secretary of State John Foster Dulles.
(c) President Kennedy and Sam Rayburn.
(d) Just President Kennedy.
3. To what or whom did Royko compare Richard Daley's character?
(a) George Washington.
(b) John F. Kennedy.
(c) The City of Chicago.
(d) A kindly father figure.
4. What are patronage jobs?
(a) The name for jobs that have no other definition.
(b) Make-work jobs that have no real function.
(c) Service jobs that the government must provide.
(d) Public jobs that are issued through political connections.
5. What talent of Richard Daley's earned him praise from Democrats around the country?
(a) His ability to smear Republican opponents.
(b) His ability to deliver stirring speeches.
(c) His ability to turn out votes.
(d) His knack for organizing meetings.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did ward committeemen use their influence to encourage participation in elections?
2. What finally forced Richard Daley to hear the demands of Martin Luther King?
3. What did Royko state disturbed Richard Daley?
4. What did Richard Daley receive when he finally became Chairman of the Cook County Democratic Party?
5. What did Richard Daley present himself as in his first campaign for Mayor?
This section contains 431 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)