|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter IX.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happened to Richard Daley's popularity in Chicago after the turmoil of the 1968 Democratic National Convention?
(a) He became a negative influence to Democrats seeking high political office.
(b) His popularity grew as he was seen as opposing influences considered to be threats to the middle class.
(c) The events around the 1968 convention had no lasting influence as Americans soon focused on the presidential campaign.
(d) Chicagoans became ashamed of Daley's rough treatment and began abandoning his leadership.
2. What motivated racial violence to intensify?
(a) The hotel for the Los Angeles Dodgers denied rooms to the African-American members of the team.
(b) A firetruck with all white fireman ran over a black woman and killed her.
(c) Martin Luther King was assassinated.
(d) The bodies of three civil rights volunteers were found at a construction site on the outskirts of Chicago.
3. What was the result to Richard Daley from the unusual circumstance of Clarence Wagner dropping out of the contest for Chairman of the Cook County Democratic Central Committee?
(a) Daley was both feared and respected by the hard fighting politicians in Chicago.
(b) Richard Daley became Chairman of the Cook County Democratic Party.
(c) Daley was seen as an uncouth opportunist who took advantage of the misfortunes of his political opponenets.
(d) Richard Daley was suspected of being corrupt and unworthy of trust for several years.
4. What nickname did Richard Daley earn while national attention was focused on Chicago?
(a) "Dick the builder."
(b) "Richard the lionhearted."
(c) "Daley the developer."
(d) "Dick the bruiser."
5. What happened to segregation opponents who showed up at Richard Daley's house?
(a) The gathering was joined by neighborhood supporters who considered segregation in Chicago unjust.
(b) His neigbors pelted them with rocks.
(c) Police forces arrived to arrest all that were involved.
(d) A firetruck was dispatched to scatter the gathering with its fire hoses.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Richard Daley put his scandal behind him, what two political victories did he achieve?
2. What was among the influences for which Vito Marzullo was well known?
3. What was the first unusual decision that Richard Daley made after he was elected mayor?
4. What finally forced Richard Daley to hear the demands of Martin Luther King?
5. What defined the geographic areas of Chicago?
This section contains 553 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)