|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter III.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happened to Richard Daley's chief opponent for Cook County Democratic Chairman shortly before the election?
(a) He died in an auto accident.
(b) He died of a heart attack.
(c) He withdrew because of health reasons.
(d) He mysteriously disappeared.
2. Why is the Chicago race riot of 1919 an important event in Richard Daley's history?
(a) The violence forced his family to move where he made contacts that shaped his career.
(b) He used his negotiating skills to calm down competing gangs.
(c) He was rumoured to be a leader of one of the gangs involved in violence.
(d) He was nearly killed in a counter attack that took place on the street where he lived.
3. Why did Royko consider Richard Daley to be a believable father figure to Chicagoans?
(a) He was like many fathers who worked long hours and said what he meant.
(b) He frequently attended weddings and gave away the bride.
(c) He looked old and bald like a father.
(d) He liked sitting in a rocker during public meetings.
4. What was Richard Daley's unusual moral code?
(a) Thou shalt not steal but though shalt not blow the whistle on anybody who does.
(b) Thou shalt not speak ill of a fellow Democrat.
(c) I don't care what you do as long as I don't catch you doing it.
(d) Do as I say, not as I do.
5. Who was the Democrat official who became a rival to Daley in his climb to the chairmanship of the Democratic Central Committee?
(a) Paul Douglas.
(b) Clarence Wager.
(c) Benjamin Adamowski.
(d) Adlai Stevenson.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did some members of the Cook County Democratic Central Committee believe that Richard Daley was not suited for the position of Chairman?
2. What supplemental role did the Chicago Police Department perform for Richard Daley?
3. How often were Richard Daley's phones checked for bugs?
4. When Joe McDonough was elected to County Treasurer, what happened to Richard Daley?
5. What was the label that was given to those who had similar views to Richard Daley in the Cook County Democratic Party?
This section contains 445 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)