|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter III.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what or whom did Royko compare Richard Daley's character?
(a) A kindly father figure.
(b) George Washington.
(c) The City of Chicago.
(d) John F. Kennedy.
2. How did Richard Daley's talent affect the 1948 election?
(a) He was able to organize campaign ralleys that helped Harry Truman win the presidential election.
(b) His ability to turn out votes helped Harry Truman win the presidential election.
(c) He knew how to use his office to raise funds.
(d) He developed campaign ads that made people believe that Thomas Dewey was planning to desegregate Chicago.
3. What was the result to Richard Daley from the unusual circumstance of Clarence Wagner dropping out of the contest for Chairman of the Cook County Democratic Central Committee?
(a) Richard Daley was suspected of being corrupt and unworthy of trust for several years.
(b) Daley was both feared and respected by the hard fighting politicians in Chicago.
(c) Richard Daley became Chairman of the Cook County Democratic Party.
(d) Daley was seen as an uncouth opportunist who took advantage of the misfortunes of his political opponenets.
4. Richard Daley became connected with a judge named Abraham Lincoln Marovitz. How did they meet?
(a) They met at the wedding of Daley and his wife.
(b) They met when Daley took his only defense stand against Marovitz.
(c) They met when Marovitz was a young prosecutor and Daley was a clerk in the City Council.
(d) They met when Marovitz was prosecuting one of Daley's gangster friends.
5. Royko reported that _______________ were most suspicious of Richard Daley.
(a) Illinois governors.
(c) Outsiders to Chicago.
Short Answer Questions
1. What talent of Richard Daley's earned him praise from Democrats around the country?
2. How were the various Chicago neighborhoods sustained economically?
3. How old was Richard Daley when he became a precinct captain for a South Side ward?
4. Why did some members of the Cook County Democratic Central Committee believe that Richard Daley was not suited for the position of Chairman?
5. What personal relationship was Richard Daley maintaining that gave him the incentive to do well when he was working for Joe McDonough in the Cook County Treasurer's Office?
This section contains 464 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)