|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter III.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What skills did Richard Daley learn in the Christian Brothers technical school?
(a) Typing and shorthand for a secretarial position.
(b) Smelting and extruding for iron workers.
(c) Welding a pipefitting for plumbers.
(d) Jabbing and dodging for boxers.
2. What did Richard Daley leave behind after his death?
(a) Huge public deficits that are still being paid off.
(b) A "gouging, grabbing, tripping" fight for his power.
(c) A modest home on the southside of Chicago.
(d) A wife and three sons.
3. Upon what has Richard Daley's quick rise in political influence been credited?
(a) His membership in a club named the Hamburgs that spawned a number of successful Chicago politicians.
(b) His unique skill as an orator to persuade even the most seasoned officeholder to take action.
(c) His quiet and earnest work to help all voters get to the polls.
(d) His ability to see and negotiate his way through conflict.
4. How did Richard Daley's talent affect the 1948 election?
(a) He knew how to use his office to raise funds.
(b) He developed campaign ads that made people believe that Thomas Dewey was planning to desegregate Chicago.
(c) His ability to turn out votes helped Harry Truman win the presidential election.
(d) He was able to organize campaign ralleys that helped Harry Truman win the presidential election.
5. What did Richard Daley do if an ex-convict applied for a patronage job?
(a) Verified with their sponsor that they are now clean.
(b) Ignore their presence on the list.
(c) Sent them a polite form letter telling them their quaifications will be considered.
(d) Checked to make sure that the police know where they are.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Richard Daley persist in calling Chicago O'Hare International Airport?
2. In his earlier years as Chicago Mayor, Richard Daley walked down Michigan Avenue to greet people. Why did he stop the practice?
3. What was in the front and back of Richard Daley's house?
4. What did Richard Daley do through the evenings of the 1920's after he was finished with his day job with the City?
5. What was the first stop that Richard Daley made everyday?
This section contains 450 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)