|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter III.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In his earlier years as Chicago Mayor, Richard Daley walked down Michigan Avenue to greet people. Why did he stop the practice?
(a) People who protested his power were a potential threat to his safety.
(b) The walk in the early morning air was hard on his declining health.
(c) He moved to a new, spacious house which made a trip to Michigan for a walk impractical.
(d) The neighborhood became run-down and embarrassing.
2. What role did Joe McDonough play in shaping Richard Daley's political career?
(a) He introduced Daley to his wife.
(b) He rented a room to Daley so he could get to work on time.
(c) He chose Daley as his Chief of Staff.
(d) He taught Daley the ins and outs of Chicago's political machine.
3. What did Richard Daley do if an ex-convict applied for a patronage job?
(a) Verified with their sponsor that they are now clean.
(b) Checked to make sure that the police know where they are.
(c) Sent them a polite form letter telling them their quaifications will be considered.
(d) Ignore their presence on the list.
4. What is the name of a famous criminal that Mayor Big Bill Thompson allowed to walk freely through the streets of Chicago?
(a) Al Capone.
(b) Bugs Moran.
(c) "Pretty Boy" Floyd.
(d) John Dillinger.
5. What did Royko describe as Richard Daley's character traits?
(a) Studious, resolved, calm and patient.
(b) Simple, quiet, humble and kind.
(c) Hot-tempered, simple, devious and powerful.
(d) Loud, profane, immoral and angry.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to Richard Daley's chief opponent for Cook County Democratic Chairman shortly before the election?
2. What talent of Richard Daley's earned him praise from Democrats around the country?
3. What was the profession of Mike Royko, author of "Boss: Richard J. Daley of Chicago"?
4. When was the Introduction written?
5. To what or whom did Royko compare Richard Daley's character?
This section contains 403 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)