|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter VI.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the topic for Chapter II?
(a) Chicago models apartied.
(b) Chicago and organized crime.
(c) Richard Daley's rough life.
(d) Richard Daley comes of age.
2. Why did Richard Daley earn a nickname while he was using public funding for various public works projects?
(a) He took personal risk in supporting Adalai Stevenson's nomination for a second run against President Eisenhower.
(b) He improved the downtown and lake front areas and upgraded O'Hare from a military airport to one of the nation's state of the art commercial airports.
(c) He was behind massive urban renewal developments in poor minority areas of Chicago.
(d) The country witnessed his tough political tactics first hand.
3. If Chicagoans were disagreeable when they raised complaints to the city, how did Richard Daley regard their complaint?
(a) He would take extra care to see their complaint was answered.
(b) He tried not to get involved as the situation could become politically challenging.
(c) He would send the complaint to the appropriate committee.
(d) He would see to it that their situation got worse than when they registered their complaint.
4. What defined the geographic areas of Chicago?
(b) Political affiliations.
(d) Proximity to Lake Michigan.
5. What major political event was guided by Richard Daley's leadership in 1956?
(a) Harry Truman held up a copy of the Chicago Tribune that announced, "Dewey Defeats Truman!"
(b) President Dwight D. Eisenhower's announcement that he was running for re-election.
(c) The Democratic National Convention.
(d) Vice President Richard Nixon's "Kitchen Debate" with Nikita Nikita Khrushchev.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the president who appointed Abraham Marovitz and what year was it done?
2. How long was Richard Daley on the city payroll?
3. What personal relationship was Richard Daley maintaining that gave him the incentive to do well when he was working for Joe McDonough in the Cook County Treasurer's Office?
4. When did Richard Daley prepare for speeches he gave to civic organizations?
5. What was the result to Richard Daley from the unusual circumstance of Clarence Wagner dropping out of the contest for Chairman of the Cook County Democratic Central Committee?
This section contains 478 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)