|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter VI.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the topic of Chapter I?
(a) Richard Daley's political growth.
(b) Richard Daley's daily routine.
(c) Chicago's transformation under Richard Daley's rule.
(d) Richard Daley's boyhood home.
2. What did Richard Daley present himself as in his first campaign for Mayor?
(a) He ran as a fiscal conservative who would balance budgets.
(b) He ran as a skillful mediator who could handle conflicts.
(c) He presented himself as a hard-working family man.
(d) He ran as a law and order candidate devoted to fighting crime.
3. What happened to honest officials in the department that became troublesome for Richard Daley?
(a) Code enforcement personnel with the responsibility to provide housing access were beaten up and taken to the outskirts of Chicago.
(b) Code enforcement and real estate agents who tried to blow the whistle had false information on their finances published and were chased out of their departments or businesses.
(c) Honest policemen are placed in desk jobs, passed over for promotions, and are isolated from important activities.
(d) Ward committeemen who refused to cheat lost their positions and discredited within the Cook County Democrat Party.
4. What supplemental role did the Chicago Police Department perform for Richard Daley?
(a) It acted as his spy division.
(b) It would accomany him to important public meetings.
(c) It made itself available for security to the Democrat Party.
(d) It provided security for visiting dignitaries.
5. What event led to the biggest scandal of Richard Daley's second term as mayor?
(a) A burglar was arrested.
(b) The Attorney General of Illinois investigated and took steps to take control of the Real Estate Division of the City of Chicago.
(c) A former ward committeeman went public with how precincts would routinely, "Vote the graveyard."
(d) Three civil rights activists were found beaten to death and buried at a construction site outside of Chicago.
Short Answer Questions
1. What 1960 police department scandal caused great embarrassment for Richard Daley?
2. What was the first unusual decision that Richard Daley made after he was elected mayor?
3. Who did Richard Daley help to get nominated for the 1956 Democratic candidate for president?
4. How did Richard Daley regard suggestions from Independent members of the City Council?
5. What happened when Richard Daley ran for his second term?
This section contains 543 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)