|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter VI.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What event led to the biggest scandal of Richard Daley's second term as mayor?
(a) A former ward committeeman went public with how precincts would routinely, "Vote the graveyard."
(b) The Attorney General of Illinois investigated and took steps to take control of the Real Estate Division of the City of Chicago.
(c) Three civil rights activists were found beaten to death and buried at a construction site outside of Chicago.
(d) A burglar was arrested.
2. Why did Richard Daley earn a nickname while he was using public funding for various public works projects?
(a) He improved the downtown and lake front areas and upgraded O'Hare from a military airport to one of the nation's state of the art commercial airports.
(b) He was behind massive urban renewal developments in poor minority areas of Chicago.
(c) The country witnessed his tough political tactics first hand.
(d) He took personal risk in supporting Adalai Stevenson's nomination for a second run against President Eisenhower.
3. What did Richard Daley do through the evenings of the 1920's after he was finished with his day job with the City?
(a) He tended bar for several illegal speakeasies.
(b) He wrote campaign speeches for Democrat dignitaries.
(c) He attended DePaul Law School.
(d) He drove a truck delivering coal to factories.
4. What happened when Richard Daley ran for his second term?
(a) The election ended in a draw and Daley ended up being selected by the Chicago City Council.
(b) Corruption and segregation caused him to be narrowly defeated by Robert Merriam.
(c) He was overwhelmingly re-elected.
(d) He chose to step aside and run for state senate.
5. What nickname did Richard Daley earn while national attention was focused on Chicago?
(a) "Daley the developer."
(b) "Dick the bruiser."
(c) "Dick the builder."
(d) "Richard the lionhearted."
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Richard Daley usually see first when he arrived at his office?
2. When Joe McDonough was elected to County Treasurer, what happened to Richard Daley?
3. What would Richard Daley do if he discovered one of his married, Catholic appointees was having an affair?
4. Upon what has Richard Daley's quick rise in political influence been credited?
5. How long was Richard Daley on the city payroll?
This section contains 524 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)