|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter VI.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Daley did not personally attack his opponent, but what was one of the things the Democratic Machine did during the election?
(a) It doctored documents that showed Daley's opponent stole public money for his business.
(b) It passed around Merriam's divorce papers in Catholic neighborhoods.
(c) It passed around photographs suggesting Daley's opponenet was having an illicit affair.
(d) It stole yard signs of Daley's opponent.
2. What event led to the biggest scandal of Richard Daley's second term as mayor?
(a) A former ward committeeman went public with how precincts would routinely, "Vote the graveyard."
(b) The Attorney General of Illinois investigated and took steps to take control of the Real Estate Division of the City of Chicago.
(c) Three civil rights activists were found beaten to death and buried at a construction site outside of Chicago.
(d) A burglar was arrested.
3. Who did Richard Daley usually see first when he arrived at his office?
(a) His chief of staff.
(b) The press.
(c) His secretary.
(d) The Chief of Police.
4. Who was the Democrat official who became a rival to Daley in his climb to the chairmanship of the Democratic Central Committee?
(a) Adlai Stevenson.
(b) Benjamin Adamowski.
(c) Paul Douglas.
(d) Clarence Wager.
5. How did Richard Daley regard suggestions from Independent members of the City Council?
(a) He would contemplete them carefully upon their merits.
(b) He would send his Chief of Staff to the council member to coerce his/her silence.
(c) He sent them to a subcomittee where they eventually die.
(d) He would fly into a purple rage and publicly humilate those who proposed them.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year did Richard Daley earn a position in the Cook County Democratic Central Committee?
2. Why did Richard Daley make the unusual move?
3. How long was Richard Daley on the city payroll?
4. What did Richard Daley do if an ex-convict applied for a patronage job?
5. What was the name of the lawyer who investigated the relationship between Daley and Marovitz?
This section contains 437 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)