|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter VI.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was one of Richard Daley's first achievements as mayor?
(a) He got federal funds to make Chicago streets part of the Interstate Highway system.
(b) He established a new affordable bus service to enhance mass transit.
(c) He won additional funds for Chicago public schools.
(d) He sought and received increased tax revenue through the Republican Governor of Illinois.
2. What would Richard Daley do if he discovered one of his married, Catholic appointees was having an affair?
(a) He would see to it that his public service career in Chicago came to an end.
(b) He would encourge him to get marriage counceling.
(c) He would get pictures of the officials indiscretions and use them to coerce his cooperation.
(d) He would ignore it if he was a popular official.
3. How old was Richard Daley when he became a precinct captain for a South Side ward?
4. What were some of the other visible changes that Richard Daley made during his first year as mayor?
(a) He hired more cops and firemen, converted empty lots into city parks, and established a new bus system.
(b) He improved roads and streets, established a new bus system, and added an additional day to trash pick-up.
(c) He established a new bus system, converted empty lots into city parks, and added a day to trash pick-up.
(d) He hired more cops and firemen, and he improved roads and street lighting.
5. What role did Joe McDonough play in shaping Richard Daley's political career?
(a) He taught Daley the ins and outs of Chicago's political machine.
(b) He introduced Daley to his wife.
(c) He chose Daley as his Chief of Staff.
(d) He rented a room to Daley so he could get to work on time.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the first stop that Richard Daley made everyday?
2. What was the reputation of the mayor who preceded Richard Daley?
3. What 1960 police department scandal caused great embarrassment for Richard Daley?
4. What did Richard Daley do through the evenings of the 1920's after he was finished with his day job with the City?
5. What personal relationship was Richard Daley maintaining that gave him the incentive to do well when he was working for Joe McDonough in the Cook County Treasurer's Office?
This section contains 519 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)