|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter VI.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Richard Daley put his scandal behind him, what two political victories did he achieve?
(a) He helped to name Lyndon B. Johnson as John F. Kennedy's running mate and had his urban renewal plans endorsed by Martin Luther King.
(b) He helped to elect John F. Kennedy to the presidency and defeated his rival Ben Adamowski.
(c) He overwelmingly won a third term as mayor and got Vito Marzullo appointed to the federal court.
(d) He helped to elect Dan Rostenkowski to congress and defeated Robert Merriam in a second election.
2. What was the result of Richard Daley's hard work with the Democratic Central Committee?
(a) Street repairs for Chicago received sufficient funding.
(b) Chicago became the model of political efficiency.
(c) Influence of Republicans was almost eliminated.
(d) Crime was reduced dramatically.
3. What did Richard Daley do if an ex-convict applied for a patronage job?
(a) Checked to make sure that the police know where they are.
(b) Ignore their presence on the list.
(c) Sent them a polite form letter telling them their quaifications will be considered.
(d) Verified with their sponsor that they are now clean.
4. What skills did Richard Daley learn in the Christian Brothers technical school?
(a) Typing and shorthand for a secretarial position.
(b) Jabbing and dodging for boxers.
(c) Welding a pipefitting for plumbers.
(d) Smelting and extruding for iron workers.
5. How long was Richard Daley on the city payroll?
(a) 23 years as mayor.
(b) 53 years.
(c) At least the next 48 years.
(d) Sporadically over five decades.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did most Chicagoans consider the corruption within the department?
2. What would Richard Daley do if he discovered one of his married, Catholic appointees was having an affair?
3. If Chicagoans were disagreeable when they raised complaints to the city, how did Richard Daley regard their complaint?
4. When Joe McDonough was elected to County Treasurer, what happened to Richard Daley?
5. What was Richard Daley's unusual moral code?
This section contains 544 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)