|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter VI.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happened when Richard Daley ran for his second term?
(a) The election ended in a draw and Daley ended up being selected by the Chicago City Council.
(b) He chose to step aside and run for state senate.
(c) He was overwhelmingly re-elected.
(d) Corruption and segregation caused him to be narrowly defeated by Robert Merriam.
2. What personal relationship was Richard Daley maintaining that gave him the incentive to do well when he was working for Joe McDonough in the Cook County Treasurer's Office?
(a) He began working with a young politician named Adalai Stevenson.
(b) He started doing business with Joe Kennedy.
(c) He served as liaison between Al Capone and his syndicate while he was in prison.
(d) He began dating his future wife, Eleanor.
3. Upon what has Richard Daley's quick rise in political influence been credited?
(a) His ability to see and negotiate his way through conflict.
(b) His unique skill as an orator to persuade even the most seasoned officeholder to take action.
(c) His membership in a club named the Hamburgs that spawned a number of successful Chicago politicians.
(d) His quiet and earnest work to help all voters get to the polls.
4. What were some of the other visible changes that Richard Daley made during his first year as mayor?
(a) He established a new bus system, converted empty lots into city parks, and added a day to trash pick-up.
(b) He hired more cops and firemen, and he improved roads and street lighting.
(c) He hired more cops and firemen, converted empty lots into city parks, and established a new bus system.
(d) He improved roads and streets, established a new bus system, and added an additional day to trash pick-up.
5. In Chicago City Hall, Richard Daley was known by all of the following except:
(a) The Big Guy.
(c) The Man on the Fifth.
(d) Duh Mare.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of a famous criminal that Mayor Big Bill Thompson allowed to walk freely through the streets of Chicago?
2. What did people have to do to stay safe in Chicago while Richard Daley was growing up?
3. In what year did Richard Daley win the Chairmanship of the Cook County Democratic Party?
4. What was the result of Richard Daley's hard work with the Democratic Central Committee?
5. What was Richard Daley's initial response to the 1960 police department scandal?
This section contains 461 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)