|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter VI.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Richard Daley's unusual moral code?
(a) Thou shalt not speak ill of a fellow Democrat.
(b) Thou shalt not steal but though shalt not blow the whistle on anybody who does.
(c) I don't care what you do as long as I don't catch you doing it.
(d) Do as I say, not as I do.
2. When did Richard Daley prepare for speeches he gave to civic organizations?
(a) Over dinners with his wife.
(b) On his way to the speech.
(c) During weekends when he did not work.
(d) During free time he had over the week before he gave his speech.
3. What became the most consuming controversy during Richard Daley's first two terms as mayor?
(a) Ward committeemen turning in doctored election returns.
(b) City planners using their positions to profit from real estate development.
(c) Corruption in the police department.
(d) Segregation throughout the city's ethnic neighbor hoods.
4. What personal relationship was Richard Daley maintaining that gave him the incentive to do well when he was working for Joe McDonough in the Cook County Treasurer's Office?
(a) He began working with a young politician named Adalai Stevenson.
(b) He served as liaison between Al Capone and his syndicate while he was in prison.
(c) He started doing business with Joe Kennedy.
(d) He began dating his future wife, Eleanor.
5. In what year did Richard Daley win the Chairmanship of the Cook County Democratic Party?
Short Answer Questions
1. What 1960 police department scandal caused great embarrassment for Richard Daley?
2. Who did Richard Daley usually see first when he arrived at his office?
3. What was the label that was given to those who had similar views to Richard Daley in the Cook County Democratic Party?
4. What did Richard Daley present himself as in his first campaign for Mayor?
5. What was the result to Richard Daley from the unusual circumstance of Clarence Wagner dropping out of the contest for Chairman of the Cook County Democratic Central Committee?
This section contains 468 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)