|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter VI.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How was Richard Daley's initial urban renewal effort accepted by those who who used the areas?
(a) Both the Irish and African American residents were suspicious at first but came to appreciate the efforts to improve and open their neighborhoods.
(b) Cubs fans were mildly inconvenienced, but hoped the changes would bring a World Series to the Friendly Confines.
(c) The indigents who frequented Halsted Street alleys were chased off and eventually resettled in Gary, Indiana.
(d) Residents in the Valley staged an uprising.
2. What did Richard Daley receive when he finally became Chairman of the Cook County Democratic Party?
(a) Direct access to politicians from around the country.
(b) Police protection for him and his family.
(c) Control over his own political machine.
(d) Access to funds from the National Democratic Party to use at his whims.
3. Who was the president that Richard Daley supposedly helped to elect?
(a) Adalai Stevenson.
(b) Harry S. Truman.
(c) Lyndon Baines Johnson.
(d) John F. Kennedy.
4. Why is the Chicago race riot of 1919 an important event in Richard Daley's history?
(a) He was nearly killed in a counter attack that took place on the street where he lived.
(b) He used his negotiating skills to calm down competing gangs.
(c) The violence forced his family to move where he made contacts that shaped his career.
(d) He was rumoured to be a leader of one of the gangs involved in violence.
5. What was the reputation of the mayor who preceded Richard Daley?
(a) He was too easy on non-voting immigrants.
(b) He was too easy on Republicans.
(c) He was too stingy with patronage jobs.
(d) He was a weak token.
Short Answer Questions
1. What nickname did Richard Daley earn while national attention was focused on Chicago?
2. Why did Richard Daley visit the Democrat Party headquarters after city council meetings?
3. What made the Cook County Democratic Central Committee so powerful?
4. What was the most important rule Richard Daley learned from Joe McDonough?
5. Upon what has Richard Daley's quick rise in political influence been credited?
This section contains 475 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)