|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter VI.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Richard Daley able to accomplish with the additional funding that the Republican Governor of Illinois granted to Chicago in 1956?
(a) Show the parents of school children that he wanted to improve education.
(b) Begin new construction and present tangible proof to the voters that he is wasting no time in improving the city.
(c) Show decision makers in Washington that he could support their plans.
(d) Show the voters who could not afford a car that he would help them get to work.
2. What did Richard Daley persist in calling Chicago O'Hare International Airport?
(a) Kennedy International.
(b) The Chicago Airstrip.
(c) The Airfield.
3. What did Richard Daley present himself as in his first campaign for Mayor?
(a) He ran as a skillful mediator who could handle conflicts.
(b) He presented himself as a hard-working family man.
(c) He ran as a law and order candidate devoted to fighting crime.
(d) He ran as a fiscal conservative who would balance budgets.
4. Where did Daley choose to begin his urban renewal projects?
(a) West Halsted Street near the Chicago International Amphitheatre where the 1968 Democrat National Convention was eventually held.
(b) An old Italian neighborhood known as the Valley.
(c) Along Waveland Avenue near Wrigley Field.
(d) On the south side between Daley's Irish Catholic birthplace and an African-American neighborhood.
5. What were some of the other visible changes that Richard Daley made during his first year as mayor?
(a) He improved roads and streets, established a new bus system, and added an additional day to trash pick-up.
(b) He established a new bus system, converted empty lots into city parks, and added a day to trash pick-up.
(c) He hired more cops and firemen, and he improved roads and street lighting.
(d) He hired more cops and firemen, converted empty lots into city parks, and established a new bus system.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were the campaign issues pressed by the Republican candidate in the 1955 Chicago mayoral election?
2. After Richard Daley put his scandal behind him, what two political victories did he achieve?
3. Into what type of neighborhood was Richard Daley born?
4. How old was Richard Daley when he became a precinct captain for a South Side ward?
5. What talent of Richard Daley's earned him praise from Democrats around the country?
This section contains 507 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)