|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter VI.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happened when Richard Daley ran for his second term?
(a) The election ended in a draw and Daley ended up being selected by the Chicago City Council.
(b) He chose to step aside and run for state senate.
(c) He was overwhelmingly re-elected.
(d) Corruption and segregation caused him to be narrowly defeated by Robert Merriam.
2. What was the first unusual decision that Richard Daley made after he was elected mayor?
(a) He moved the mayor's office to the Chicago Democrat headquarters.
(b) He had the door removed from his office to represent he would have an open administration.
(c) He moved to a home next door to City Hall.
(d) He maintained the chairmanship of the party while serving as mayor.
3. How did Richard Daley address the corruption within the city government?
(a) He tried to blow the bad news off the front pages with big, circus-like events.
(b) He had meetings with corrupt officials and reminded them of his basic creed, "Don't get caught."
(c) He personally took charge and fired or incarcerated offenders.
(d) He hired a P.R. firm to put a positive spin on the controversies.
4. Into what type of neighborhood was Richard Daley born?
(a) Slavic-Orthodox on the Southest corner of Chicago.
(b) Irish-Catholic on the South-side of Chicago.
(c) German-Lutheran on the Northwest corner of Chicago.
(d) French-Catholic on the shores of Lake Michigan.
5. When did Richard Daley prepare for speeches he gave to civic organizations?
(a) On his way to the speech.
(b) Over dinners with his wife.
(c) During free time he had over the week before he gave his speech.
(d) During weekends when he did not work.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Richard Daley help to get nominated for the 1956 Democratic candidate for president?
2. Who was the president who appointed Abraham Marovitz and what year was it done?
3. What was the first stop that Richard Daley made everyday?
4. What happened to Richard Daley's chief opponent for Cook County Democratic Chairman shortly before the election?
5. What would Richard Daley do if he discovered one of his married, Catholic appointees was having an affair?
This section contains 449 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)