|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter VI.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Into what type of neighborhood was Richard Daley born?
(a) French-Catholic on the shores of Lake Michigan.
(b) Irish-Catholic on the South-side of Chicago.
(c) German-Lutheran on the Northwest corner of Chicago.
(d) Slavic-Orthodox on the Southest corner of Chicago.
2. What past time of Joe McDonough helped Richard Daley earn political status and why?
(a) McDonough was a philanderer so Daley began to sow the seeds of McDonugh's humiliation.
(b) McDonough was a widely reputed alcoholic so Daley's departure was considered wise.
(c) McDonough spent much time at race tracks allowing Daley fill the responsibilities of McDonough's office.
(d) McDonough enjoyed deep sea diving and left the office frequently to Daley's care.
3. What defined the geographic areas of Chicago?
(a) Political affiliations.
(b) Proximity to Lake Michigan.
4. Why did some members of the Cook County Democratic Central Committee believe that Richard Daley was not suited for the position of Chairman?
(a) Some saw him as too liberal.
(b) He was too conservative.
(c) He was thought to be indecisive.
(d) His professional background was considered to be to controversial.
5. After Richard Daley put his scandal behind him, what two political victories did he achieve?
(a) He helped to name Lyndon B. Johnson as John F. Kennedy's running mate and had his urban renewal plans endorsed by Martin Luther King.
(b) He overwelmingly won a third term as mayor and got Vito Marzullo appointed to the federal court.
(c) He helped to elect John F. Kennedy to the presidency and defeated his rival Ben Adamowski.
(d) He helped to elect Dan Rostenkowski to congress and defeated Robert Merriam in a second election.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year was Richard Daley born?
2. In what year did Richard Daley win the Chairmanship of the Cook County Democratic Party?
3. Who did Richard Daley usually see first when he arrived at his office?
4. What was Richard Daley able to accomplish with the additional funding that the Republican Governor of Illinois granted to Chicago in 1956?
5. What skills did Richard Daley learn in the Christian Brothers technical school?
This section contains 418 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)