|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter VI.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happened to Richard Daley's chief opponent for Cook County Democratic Chairman shortly before the election?
(a) He died of a heart attack.
(b) He mysteriously disappeared.
(c) He died in an auto accident.
(d) He withdrew because of health reasons.
2. What nickname did Richard Daley earn while national attention was focused on Chicago?
(a) "Richard the lionhearted."
(b) "Dick the builder."
(c) "Daley the developer."
(d) "Dick the bruiser."
3. When did Richard Daley prepare for speeches he gave to civic organizations?
(a) Over dinners with his wife.
(b) During weekends when he did not work.
(c) During free time he had over the week before he gave his speech.
(d) On his way to the speech.
4. What major political event was guided by Richard Daley's leadership in 1956?
(a) Vice President Richard Nixon's "Kitchen Debate" with Nikita Nikita Khrushchev.
(b) Harry Truman held up a copy of the Chicago Tribune that announced, "Dewey Defeats Truman!"
(c) The Democratic National Convention.
(d) President Dwight D. Eisenhower's announcement that he was running for re-election.
5. What past time of Joe McDonough helped Richard Daley earn political status and why?
(a) McDonough spent much time at race tracks allowing Daley fill the responsibilities of McDonough's office.
(b) McDonough enjoyed deep sea diving and left the office frequently to Daley's care.
(c) McDonough was a philanderer so Daley began to sow the seeds of McDonugh's humiliation.
(d) McDonough was a widely reputed alcoholic so Daley's departure was considered wise.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long was Richard Daley on the city payroll?
2. What did Richard Daley present himself as in his first campaign for Mayor?
3. What was in the front and back of Richard Daley's house?
4. Richard Daley became connected with a judge named Abraham Lincoln Marovitz. How did they meet?
5. Where did Daley choose to begin his urban renewal projects?
This section contains 437 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)