|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter VIII.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who did Richard Daley replace at the beginning of his fourth term?
(a) Dan Rostenkowski who moved to Washington, D.C., to serve as congressman.
(b) Police Chief Orlando Wilson, who retired.
(c) Judge Abraham Marovitz who was debarred.
(d) Ward Committeeman Vito Marzullo who passed away.
2. What was Richard Daley's response after a commission recommended that the police should treat blacks the same as whites?
(a) He ignored the recommendations and increased the use of force.
(b) He relented and began promoting a, "kinder and gentler," police force.
(c) He assigned another commission under his control that recommended he keep his policies in place.
(d) He increased abuse against everybody.
3. What major political event was guided by Richard Daley's leadership in 1956?
(a) Harry Truman held up a copy of the Chicago Tribune that announced, "Dewey Defeats Truman!"
(b) Vice President Richard Nixon's "Kitchen Debate" with Nikita Nikita Khrushchev.
(c) The Democratic National Convention.
(d) President Dwight D. Eisenhower's announcement that he was running for re-election.
4. What nickname did Richard Daley earn while national attention was focused on Chicago?
(a) "Dick the builder."
(b) "Dick the bruiser."
(c) "Richard the lionhearted."
(d) "Daley the developer."
5. Daley did not personally attack his opponent, but what was one of the things the Democratic Machine did during the election?
(a) It stole yard signs of Daley's opponent.
(b) It passed around Merriam's divorce papers in Catholic neighborhoods.
(c) It doctored documents that showed Daley's opponent stole public money for his business.
(d) It passed around photographs suggesting Daley's opponenet was having an illicit affair.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the reputation of the mayor who preceded Richard Daley?
2. Who was the Republican candidate opposing Richard Daley in the 1955 Chicago mayoral election?
3. What skills did Richard Daley learn in the Christian Brothers technical school?
4. What were the results of the election leading to Richard Daley's fourth term?
5. How were the various Chicago neighborhoods sustained economically?
This section contains 435 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)