|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter VIII.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What personal relationship was Richard Daley maintaining that gave him the incentive to do well when he was working for Joe McDonough in the Cook County Treasurer's Office?
(a) He started doing business with Joe Kennedy.
(b) He served as liaison between Al Capone and his syndicate while he was in prison.
(c) He began dating his future wife, Eleanor.
(d) He began working with a young politician named Adalai Stevenson.
2. Who did Richard Daley help to get nominated for the 1956 Democratic candidate for president?
(a) John F. Kennedy.
(b) Harry Truman.
(c) Dwight D. Eisenhower.
(d) Adalai Stevenson.
3. What happened when the incumbent mayor before Richard Daley made his appeal before the Cook County Central Committee that was chaired by Daley?
(a) He died in an auto accident days before the election and Daley appointed himself as candidate after the death.
(b) Daley was drafted to run for Mayor.
(c) He was fired by the committee and Daley appointed himself.
(d) He declared that he changed parties to Republican and ran with that party.
4. Why is the Chicago race riot of 1919 an important event in Richard Daley's history?
(a) He used his negotiating skills to calm down competing gangs.
(b) He was nearly killed in a counter attack that took place on the street where he lived.
(c) He was rumoured to be a leader of one of the gangs involved in violence.
(d) The violence forced his family to move where he made contacts that shaped his career.
5. Into what type of neighborhood was Richard Daley born?
(a) German-Lutheran on the Northwest corner of Chicago.
(b) French-Catholic on the shores of Lake Michigan.
(c) Irish-Catholic on the South-side of Chicago.
(d) Slavic-Orthodox on the Southest corner of Chicago.
Short Answer Questions
1. What defined the geographic areas of Chicago?
2. What happened when Richard Daley ran for his second term?
3. Why did Richard Daley make the unusual move?
4. What skills did Richard Daley learn in the Christian Brothers technical school?
5. What was one of Richard Daley's first achievements as mayor?
This section contains 502 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)