|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter VIII.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What defined the geographic areas of Chicago?
(a) Political affiliations.
(b) Proximity to Lake Michigan.
2. What did Richard Daley present himself as in his first campaign for Mayor?
(a) He presented himself as a hard-working family man.
(b) He ran as a fiscal conservative who would balance budgets.
(c) He ran as a law and order candidate devoted to fighting crime.
(d) He ran as a skillful mediator who could handle conflicts.
3. Why did Richard Daley make the unusual move?
(a) Many people in the previous administration did not trust Daley and thought him paranoid.
(b) A new chairman might do what he did--replace Daley with himself.
(c) He knew he would be spending long hours at work and wanted to cut down the time he was away from his family.
(d) He wanted to show everyone that the Democrat Machine was going to tighten its control over Chicago.
4. What past time of Joe McDonough helped Richard Daley earn political status and why?
(a) McDonough enjoyed deep sea diving and left the office frequently to Daley's care.
(b) McDonough was a philanderer so Daley began to sow the seeds of McDonugh's humiliation.
(c) McDonough spent much time at race tracks allowing Daley fill the responsibilities of McDonough's office.
(d) McDonough was a widely reputed alcoholic so Daley's departure was considered wise.
5. What was Richard Daley able to accomplish with the additional funding that the Republican Governor of Illinois granted to Chicago in 1956?
(a) Begin new construction and present tangible proof to the voters that he is wasting no time in improving the city.
(b) Show the parents of school children that he wanted to improve education.
(c) Show the voters who could not afford a car that he would help them get to work.
(d) Show decision makers in Washington that he could support their plans.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Richard Daley's response after a commission recommended that the police should treat blacks the same as whites?
2. What were some of the other visible changes that Richard Daley made during his first year as mayor?
3. What resulted from the high ranking personnel change that came to Daley at the beginning of his fourth term?
4. What was the first unusual decision that Richard Daley made after he was elected mayor?
5. What happened when the incumbent mayor before Richard Daley made his appeal before the Cook County Central Committee that was chaired by Daley?
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)