|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter VIII.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happened when the incumbent mayor before Richard Daley made his appeal before the Cook County Central Committee that was chaired by Daley?
(a) He was fired by the committee and Daley appointed himself.
(b) He died in an auto accident days before the election and Daley appointed himself as candidate after the death.
(c) Daley was drafted to run for Mayor.
(d) He declared that he changed parties to Republican and ran with that party.
2. What were the campaign issues pressed by the Republican candidate in the 1955 Chicago mayoral election?
(a) Corruption in the Police Department and the Democratic Machine.
(b) School funding and violent crime.
(c) Equal rights and desegregation.
(d) Inconsistent garbage removal and government waste.
3. Why did Richard Daley make the unusual move?
(a) A new chairman might do what he did--replace Daley with himself.
(b) Many people in the previous administration did not trust Daley and thought him paranoid.
(c) He wanted to show everyone that the Democrat Machine was going to tighten its control over Chicago.
(d) He knew he would be spending long hours at work and wanted to cut down the time he was away from his family.
4. Upon what has Richard Daley's quick rise in political influence been credited?
(a) His membership in a club named the Hamburgs that spawned a number of successful Chicago politicians.
(b) His ability to see and negotiate his way through conflict.
(c) His quiet and earnest work to help all voters get to the polls.
(d) His unique skill as an orator to persuade even the most seasoned officeholder to take action.
5. What was the first unusual decision that Richard Daley made after he was elected mayor?
(a) He had the door removed from his office to represent he would have an open administration.
(b) He maintained the chairmanship of the party while serving as mayor.
(c) He moved to a home next door to City Hall.
(d) He moved the mayor's office to the Chicago Democrat headquarters.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Richard Daley able to accomplish with the additional funding that the Republican Governor of Illinois granted to Chicago in 1956?
2. Who was Richard Daley's opponent during his fourth run for Mayor?
3. What is the name of a famous criminal that Mayor Big Bill Thompson allowed to walk freely through the streets of Chicago?
4. What defined the geographic areas of Chicago?
5. Who was the last elected Chicago Mayor before Richard Daley?
This section contains 477 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)