|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter VIII.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What skills did Richard Daley learn in the Christian Brothers technical school?
(a) Welding a pipefitting for plumbers.
(b) Typing and shorthand for a secretarial position.
(c) Jabbing and dodging for boxers.
(d) Smelting and extruding for iron workers.
2. What was the most important rule Richard Daley learned from Joe McDonough?
(a) Don't look back, something may be gaining on you.
(b) Don't get caught.
(c) Keep a stiff upper lip.
(d) Don't call us, we'll call you.
3. What happened when Richard Daley ran for his second term?
(a) He was overwhelmingly re-elected.
(b) Corruption and segregation caused him to be narrowly defeated by Robert Merriam.
(c) The election ended in a draw and Daley ended up being selected by the Chicago City Council.
(d) He chose to step aside and run for state senate.
4. When Joe McDonough was elected to County Treasurer, what happened to Richard Daley?
(a) Daley was left in Chicago City Hall where he eventually became a rival to McDonough.
(b) The two split and Daley continued to pursue his career in City Hall.
(c) Daley decided to set his own course and run for state senate.
(d) McDonough kept Daley in his office as an aide.
5. What major political event was guided by Richard Daley's leadership in 1956?
(a) Harry Truman held up a copy of the Chicago Tribune that announced, "Dewey Defeats Truman!"
(b) President Dwight D. Eisenhower's announcement that he was running for re-election.
(c) The Democratic National Convention.
(d) Vice President Richard Nixon's "Kitchen Debate" with Nikita Nikita Khrushchev.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Richard Daley able to accomplish with the additional funding that the Republican Governor of Illinois granted to Chicago in 1956?
2. Upon what has Richard Daley's quick rise in political influence been credited?
3. What were some of the other visible changes that Richard Daley made during his first year as mayor?
4. Why is the Chicago race riot of 1919 an important event in Richard Daley's history?
5. Into what type of neighborhood was Richard Daley born?
This section contains 577 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)