|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter VIII.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Richard Daley able to accomplish with the additional funding that the Republican Governor of Illinois granted to Chicago in 1956?
(a) Show the voters who could not afford a car that he would help them get to work.
(b) Show decision makers in Washington that he could support their plans.
(c) Begin new construction and present tangible proof to the voters that he is wasting no time in improving the city.
(d) Show the parents of school children that he wanted to improve education.
2. Upon what has Richard Daley's quick rise in political influence been credited?
(a) His membership in a club named the Hamburgs that spawned a number of successful Chicago politicians.
(b) His ability to see and negotiate his way through conflict.
(c) His quiet and earnest work to help all voters get to the polls.
(d) His unique skill as an orator to persuade even the most seasoned officeholder to take action.
3. What was the year of the election for Richard Daley's fourth term?
4. Into what type of neighborhood was Richard Daley born?
(a) French-Catholic on the shores of Lake Michigan.
(b) Slavic-Orthodox on the Southest corner of Chicago.
(c) German-Lutheran on the Northwest corner of Chicago.
(d) Irish-Catholic on the South-side of Chicago.
5. How were the various Chicago neighborhoods sustained economically?
(a) Each neighborhood had a core of entreprenuers who created jobs.
(b) Each neighborhood had a connection with organized crime and rum runners.
(c) Each neighborhood had industrial plants to employ local residents.
(d) Each neighborhood was able to earn federal funds to support racial minorities.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Richard Daley replace at the beginning of his fourth term?
2. What was the first unusual decision that Richard Daley made after he was elected mayor?
3. What is the name of a famous criminal that Mayor Big Bill Thompson allowed to walk freely through the streets of Chicago?
4. What did Richard Daley present himself as in his first campaign for Mayor?
5. What skills did Richard Daley learn in the Christian Brothers technical school?
This section contains 470 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)