|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter VIII.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Richard Daley earn a nickname while he was using public funding for various public works projects?
(a) He took personal risk in supporting Adalai Stevenson's nomination for a second run against President Eisenhower.
(b) He improved the downtown and lake front areas and upgraded O'Hare from a military airport to one of the nation's state of the art commercial airports.
(c) He was behind massive urban renewal developments in poor minority areas of Chicago.
(d) The country witnessed his tough political tactics first hand.
2. How long was Richard Daley on the city payroll?
(a) 23 years as mayor.
(b) 53 years.
(c) At least the next 48 years.
(d) Sporadically over five decades.
3. How did the public respond to Richard Daley's response to the outbreaks?
(a) He was harshly criticized for being too closely involved in police department policy.
(b) He was distrusted for the remainder of his time as mayor.
(c) He was criticized to the point that he changed his orders to "minimum force."
(d) He was applauded for recognizing the influence of civil rights advocates on his administration.
4. What were the campaign issues pressed by the Republican candidate in the 1955 Chicago mayoral election?
(a) Equal rights and desegregation.
(b) School funding and violent crime.
(c) Inconsistent garbage removal and government waste.
(d) Corruption in the Police Department and the Democratic Machine.
5. Daley did not personally attack his opponent, but what was one of the things the Democratic Machine did during the election?
(a) It passed around photographs suggesting Daley's opponenet was having an illicit affair.
(b) It stole yard signs of Daley's opponent.
(c) It doctored documents that showed Daley's opponent stole public money for his business.
(d) It passed around Merriam's divorce papers in Catholic neighborhoods.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Richard Daley respond to the outbreaks?
2. What was Richard Daley able to accomplish with the additional funding that the Republican Governor of Illinois granted to Chicago in 1956?
3. What major political event was guided by Richard Daley's leadership in 1956?
4. How old was Richard Daley when he became a precinct captain for a South Side ward?
5. What did Richard Daley present himself as in his first campaign for Mayor?
This section contains 536 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)