|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter VIII.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was the Republican candidate opposing Richard Daley in the 1955 Chicago mayoral election?
(a) Alderman Robert Merriam.
(b) Dan Rostenkowski.
(c) Martin Kennelly.
(d) Vito Marzullo.
2. What was the first unusual decision that Richard Daley made after he was elected mayor?
(a) He moved to a home next door to City Hall.
(b) He maintained the chairmanship of the party while serving as mayor.
(c) He had the door removed from his office to represent he would have an open administration.
(d) He moved the mayor's office to the Chicago Democrat headquarters.
3. What did Richard Daley present himself as in his first campaign for Mayor?
(a) He ran as a fiscal conservative who would balance budgets.
(b) He ran as a law and order candidate devoted to fighting crime.
(c) He ran as a skillful mediator who could handle conflicts.
(d) He presented himself as a hard-working family man.
4. What caused an outbreak of fires and looting on Chicago's West Side African-American neighborhoods during Richard Daley's fourth term?
(a) Daley ordering water to be cut off from fire hydrants in the area.
(b) The retirement of Police Chief Orlando Wilson.
(c) Increased police abuse after the retirement of Police Chief Orlando Wilson.
(d) The assassination of Martin Luther King.
5. What did Richard Daley do through the evenings of the 1920's after he was finished with his day job with the City?
(a) He wrote campaign speeches for Democrat dignitaries.
(b) He attended DePaul Law School.
(c) He tended bar for several illegal speakeasies.
(d) He drove a truck delivering coal to factories.
Short Answer Questions
1. What skills did Richard Daley learn in the Christian Brothers technical school?
2. When Joe McDonough was elected to County Treasurer, what happened to Richard Daley?
3. What was the year of the election for Richard Daley's fourth term?
4. To what did Richard Daley credit his large majorities in African-American precincts?
5. What was one of Richard Daley's first achievements as mayor?
This section contains 447 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)