|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter VIII.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who did Richard Daley replace at the beginning of his fourth term?
(a) Dan Rostenkowski who moved to Washington, D.C., to serve as congressman.
(b) Ward Committeeman Vito Marzullo who passed away.
(c) Police Chief Orlando Wilson, who retired.
(d) Judge Abraham Marovitz who was debarred.
2. What was the most important rule Richard Daley learned from Joe McDonough?
(a) Don't look back, something may be gaining on you.
(b) Keep a stiff upper lip.
(c) Don't call us, we'll call you.
(d) Don't get caught.
3. What was Richard Daley's response after a commission recommended that the police should treat blacks the same as whites?
(a) He assigned another commission under his control that recommended he keep his policies in place.
(b) He relented and began promoting a, "kinder and gentler," police force.
(c) He ignored the recommendations and increased the use of force.
(d) He increased abuse against everybody.
4. What caused an outbreak of fires and looting on Chicago's West Side African-American neighborhoods during Richard Daley's fourth term?
(a) Daley ordering water to be cut off from fire hydrants in the area.
(b) The retirement of Police Chief Orlando Wilson.
(c) The assassination of Martin Luther King.
(d) Increased police abuse after the retirement of Police Chief Orlando Wilson.
5. What were some of the other visible changes that Richard Daley made during his first year as mayor?
(a) He established a new bus system, converted empty lots into city parks, and added a day to trash pick-up.
(b) He hired more cops and firemen, and he improved roads and street lighting.
(c) He improved roads and streets, established a new bus system, and added an additional day to trash pick-up.
(d) He hired more cops and firemen, converted empty lots into city parks, and established a new bus system.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were the campaign issues pressed by the Republican candidate in the 1955 Chicago mayoral election?
2. What was the year of the election for Richard Daley's fourth term?
3. What was among the promises that Daley made during the campaign?
4. What was the reputation of the mayor who preceded Richard Daley?
5. In what year was Richard Daley born?
This section contains 424 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)