|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter VIII.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who did Richard Daley help to get nominated for the 1956 Democratic candidate for president?
(a) Dwight D. Eisenhower.
(b) John F. Kennedy.
(c) Adalai Stevenson.
(d) Harry Truman.
2. How did Richard Daley respond to the outbreaks?
(a) He issued shoot to kill orders against arsonists and shoot to maim orders against looters.
(b) He had a city hall meeting with civil rights advocates to get their input for a new police chief.
(c) He ordered a restoration of Chief Wilson's policies in the African American neighborhoods.
(d) He restored water services to the fire hydrants in the neighborhood.
3. How were the various Chicago neighborhoods sustained economically?
(a) Each neighborhood was able to earn federal funds to support racial minorities.
(b) Each neighborhood had industrial plants to employ local residents.
(c) Each neighborhood had a connection with organized crime and rum runners.
(d) Each neighborhood had a core of entreprenuers who created jobs.
4. What was one of Richard Daley's first achievements as mayor?
(a) He won additional funds for Chicago public schools.
(b) He established a new affordable bus service to enhance mass transit.
(c) He sought and received increased tax revenue through the Republican Governor of Illinois.
(d) He got federal funds to make Chicago streets part of the Interstate Highway system.
5. What was the first unusual decision that Richard Daley made after he was elected mayor?
(a) He maintained the chairmanship of the party while serving as mayor.
(b) He moved to a home next door to City Hall.
(c) He had the door removed from his office to represent he would have an open administration.
(d) He moved the mayor's office to the Chicago Democrat headquarters.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the public respond to Richard Daley's response to the outbreaks?
2. Daley did not personally attack his opponent, but what was one of the things the Democratic Machine did during the election?
3. What defined the geographic areas of Chicago?
4. What were some of the other visible changes that Richard Daley made during his first year as mayor?
5. What did Richard Daley present himself as in his first campaign for Mayor?
This section contains 538 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)