|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter VIII.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did people have to do to stay safe in Chicago while Richard Daley was growing up?
(a) Stay in their own neighborhood with their own kind.
(b) Wear safety helmets.
(c) Show courtesy to women and children.
(d) Speak softly and carry a big stick.
2. What was Richard Daley's response after a commission recommended that the police should treat blacks the same as whites?
(a) He relented and began promoting a, "kinder and gentler," police force.
(b) He increased abuse against everybody.
(c) He ignored the recommendations and increased the use of force.
(d) He assigned another commission under his control that recommended he keep his policies in place.
3. How long was Richard Daley on the city payroll?
(a) 53 years.
(b) 23 years as mayor.
(c) At least the next 48 years.
(d) Sporadically over five decades.
4. What past time of Joe McDonough helped Richard Daley earn political status and why?
(a) McDonough enjoyed deep sea diving and left the office frequently to Daley's care.
(b) McDonough was a philanderer so Daley began to sow the seeds of McDonugh's humiliation.
(c) McDonough spent much time at race tracks allowing Daley fill the responsibilities of McDonough's office.
(d) McDonough was a widely reputed alcoholic so Daley's departure was considered wise.
5. What were the campaign issues pressed by the Republican candidate in the 1955 Chicago mayoral election?
(a) Corruption in the Police Department and the Democratic Machine.
(b) Equal rights and desegregation.
(c) Inconsistent garbage removal and government waste.
(d) School funding and violent crime.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Richard Daley do through the evenings of the 1920's after he was finished with his day job with the City?
2. What is a campaign tactic that Richard Daley used against all of his election opponents?
3. What was the first unusual decision that Richard Daley made after he was elected mayor?
4. How were the various Chicago neighborhoods sustained economically?
5. How old was Richard Daley when he became a precinct captain for a South Side ward?
This section contains 493 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)