|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter VIII.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What personal relationship was Richard Daley maintaining that gave him the incentive to do well when he was working for Joe McDonough in the Cook County Treasurer's Office?
(a) He began dating his future wife, Eleanor.
(b) He began working with a young politician named Adalai Stevenson.
(c) He served as liaison between Al Capone and his syndicate while he was in prison.
(d) He started doing business with Joe Kennedy.
2. What was the first unusual decision that Richard Daley made after he was elected mayor?
(a) He maintained the chairmanship of the party while serving as mayor.
(b) He moved the mayor's office to the Chicago Democrat headquarters.
(c) He moved to a home next door to City Hall.
(d) He had the door removed from his office to represent he would have an open administration.
3. Upon what has Richard Daley's quick rise in political influence been credited?
(a) His unique skill as an orator to persuade even the most seasoned officeholder to take action.
(b) His quiet and earnest work to help all voters get to the polls.
(c) His membership in a club named the Hamburgs that spawned a number of successful Chicago politicians.
(d) His ability to see and negotiate his way through conflict.
4. What were the issues that Richard Daley's opponent raised during the election before his fourth term?
(a) Increasing federal intrusion and insufficient education funding.
(b) Daley's harsh law enforcement tactics and racial tension.
(c) The increasing taxes on property and regulations against businesses.
(d) Inadequate housing and bans against African-Americans in Chicago's labor unions.
5. What was the reputation of the mayor who preceded Richard Daley?
(a) He was too stingy with patronage jobs.
(b) He was a weak token.
(c) He was too easy on non-voting immigrants.
(d) He was too easy on Republicans.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a campaign tactic that Richard Daley used against all of his election opponents?
2. What past time of Joe McDonough helped Richard Daley earn political status and why?
3. What defined the geographic areas of Chicago?
4. How did the public respond to Richard Daley's response to the outbreaks?
5. When Joe McDonough was elected to County Treasurer, what happened to Richard Daley?
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)