|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter VIII.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did the public respond to Richard Daley's response to the outbreaks?
(a) He was criticized to the point that he changed his orders to "minimum force."
(b) He was distrusted for the remainder of his time as mayor.
(c) He was harshly criticized for being too closely involved in police department policy.
(d) He was applauded for recognizing the influence of civil rights advocates on his administration.
2. What is the name of a famous criminal that Mayor Big Bill Thompson allowed to walk freely through the streets of Chicago?
(a) Al Capone.
(b) Bugs Moran.
(c) "Pretty Boy" Floyd.
(d) John Dillinger.
3. What was the reputation of the mayor who preceded Richard Daley?
(a) He was too easy on Republicans.
(b) He was too easy on non-voting immigrants.
(c) He was too stingy with patronage jobs.
(d) He was a weak token.
4. To what did Richard Daley credit his large majorities in African-American precincts?
(a) His decision to move into an African-American neighborhood to initiate desegregation efforts.
(b) Street repair projects.
(c) His door-to-door campaigning.
(d) The involvement of Martin Luther King in civil rights controversies.
5. How were the various Chicago neighborhoods sustained economically?
(a) Each neighborhood had a connection with organized crime and rum runners.
(b) Each neighborhood was able to earn federal funds to support racial minorities.
(c) Each neighborhood had industrial plants to employ local residents.
(d) Each neighborhood had a core of entreprenuers who created jobs.
Short Answer Questions
1. What skills did Richard Daley learn in the Christian Brothers technical school?
2. What was among the promises that Daley made during the campaign?
3. What caused an outbreak of fires and looting on Chicago's West Side African-American neighborhoods during Richard Daley's fourth term?
4. Why did Richard Daley make the unusual move?
5. Who did Richard Daley replace at the beginning of his fourth term?
This section contains 478 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)