|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter VIII.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the reputation of the mayor who preceded Richard Daley?
(a) He was too easy on Republicans.
(b) He was too easy on non-voting immigrants.
(c) He was a weak token.
(d) He was too stingy with patronage jobs.
2. Into what type of neighborhood was Richard Daley born?
(a) Irish-Catholic on the South-side of Chicago.
(b) German-Lutheran on the Northwest corner of Chicago.
(c) French-Catholic on the shores of Lake Michigan.
(d) Slavic-Orthodox on the Southest corner of Chicago.
3. What was the year of the election for Richard Daley's fourth term?
4. What was the most important rule Richard Daley learned from Joe McDonough?
(a) Keep a stiff upper lip.
(b) Don't get caught.
(c) Don't call us, we'll call you.
(d) Don't look back, something may be gaining on you.
5. What nickname did Richard Daley earn while national attention was focused on Chicago?
(a) "Richard the lionhearted."
(b) "Dick the bruiser."
(c) "Daley the developer."
(d) "Dick the builder."
Short Answer Questions
1. How were the various Chicago neighborhoods sustained economically?
2. What resulted from the high ranking personnel change that came to Daley at the beginning of his fourth term?
3. What did Richard Daley do through the evenings of the 1920's after he was finished with his day job with the City?
4. Why is the Chicago race riot of 1919 an important event in Richard Daley's history?
5. What was the first unusual decision that Richard Daley made after he was elected mayor?
This section contains 444 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)