|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter VIII.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the topic for Chapter II?
(a) Chicago and organized crime.
(b) Chicago models apartied.
(c) Richard Daley comes of age.
(d) Richard Daley's rough life.
2. What were the campaign issues pressed by the Republican candidate in the 1955 Chicago mayoral election?
(a) School funding and violent crime.
(b) Corruption in the Police Department and the Democratic Machine.
(c) Inconsistent garbage removal and government waste.
(d) Equal rights and desegregation.
3. What resulted from the high ranking personnel change that came to Daley at the beginning of his fourth term?
(a) Police abuse returned to the black neighborhoods.
(b) Daley had a direct connection to federal funding that he used to his political advantage.
(c) Daley lost his control of the Italian neighborhoods and they started voting Republican.
(d) Daley was sucked into a legal controversy that marred his remaining years as mayor.
4. What caused an outbreak of fires and looting on Chicago's West Side African-American neighborhoods during Richard Daley's fourth term?
(a) The assassination of Martin Luther King.
(b) Increased police abuse after the retirement of Police Chief Orlando Wilson.
(c) The retirement of Police Chief Orlando Wilson.
(d) Daley ordering water to be cut off from fire hydrants in the area.
5. What is the name of a famous criminal that Mayor Big Bill Thompson allowed to walk freely through the streets of Chicago?
(a) Al Capone.
(b) "Pretty Boy" Floyd.
(c) John Dillinger.
(d) Bugs Moran.
Short Answer Questions
1. What skills did Richard Daley learn in the Christian Brothers technical school?
2. Why is the Chicago race riot of 1919 an important event in Richard Daley's history?
3. What happened when the incumbent mayor before Richard Daley made his appeal before the Cook County Central Committee that was chaired by Daley?
4. How long was Richard Daley on the city payroll?
5. What were the issues that Richard Daley's opponent raised during the election before his fourth term?
This section contains 467 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)