|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In 1993, what 52 year-old Tarahumara runner came in first in the Leadville Trail 100?
2. What was Caballo Blanco known as to the Tarahumara people?
3. The Rocky Mountains stretch more than how many miles?
4. At the 72-mile station in Chapter 16, Ann Trason was leading by how much?
5. What did the second team of Tarahumara runners use to fashion shoes for the Leadville Trail 100 race?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do magazine and sports articles discuss about the impacts of running on the body in Chapter 2? What was the author's doctor's advice to him?
2. What led the author to discover the Tarahumara in Mexico in Chapter 2?
3. What did the author know about Caballo Blanco and the Tarahumara when he set out on his journey to seek them?
4. How is the Leadville Trail 100 described in the text?
5. How did the Tarahumara team change in the 1993 Leadville Trail 100? What were their shoes like?
6. Who was Ann Trason? How is she described in the text?
7. Who developed the Leadville Trail 100? What extreme circumstances did racers face?
8. What led the author to seek medical advice about running and later inspired him to write the book?
9. What was the principle obstacle for the author and his assistant in finding the Tarahumara in Chapter 3?
10. What was the outcome of the 1994 Leadville Trail 100? Where did Ann Trason place?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the history of barefoot running and the Nike Corporation. When was Nike established? How did their running footwear evolve?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the runner Emil Zatopek in the narrative. When was Zatopek a runner? What medals did he win?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Dr. Joe Vigil and his interest in the Leadville Trail 100. What did Vigil know about runner's psychology?
This section contains 895 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)