|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. By what name do the indigenous people of the Taramuhara call themselves?
2. When the author had the opportunity to meet some of the teacher's students in Chapter 6, which among them stood out to the author?
3. How long of a jog was the author on when he felt a shooting pain in his foot in Chapter 2?
4. What did the second team of Tarahumara runners use to fashion shoes for the Leadville Trail 100 race?
5. After how many days of traveling did Salvador announce that they had arrived at their destination in Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the Tarahumara team change in the 1993 Leadville Trail 100? What were their shoes like?
2. What in particular about the Leadville Trail 100 appealed to Dr. Joe Vigil?
3. How does the author describe the destination Salvador led him to in Chapter 4?
4. How is Rick Fisher described by the author in Chapter 8? What were Fisher's principle motivations?
5. What did the author discover about Caballo Blanco as they ate lunch in Chapter 7?
6. How did Ann Trason perform in the 1994 Leadville Trail 100?
7. Who was Emil Zatopek? How is his running style described?
8. How did Rick Fisher behave after the 1994 Leadville Trail 100?
9. What doctor did the author go to see in Chapter 2? What was the doctor's assertion of running on the body?
10. What did Dr. Joe Vigil find astounding about Ann's performance in the 1994 Leadville Trail 100?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Dr. Joe Torg and his assessment of the impact of running on athletes. What are common reasons for running injuries?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss the actions of Rick Fisher during and after the Leadville Trail 100. How did Fisher's actions serve to sever his relationship with the Tarahumara?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the history of barefoot running and the Nike Corporation. When was Nike established? How did their running footwear evolve?
This section contains 860 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)