|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who noticed that Martimano was not running with a smooth rhythm in Chapter 16?
2. How long was the race through the canyons in Guachochi where Salvador had seen the greatest Taramuhara runner?
3. When was the Leadville Trail 100 first run?
4. Rick Fisher was an arrogant wilderness photographer from where?
5. What did Caballo Blanco suggest the author focus on in his running in Chapter 17?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Ann Trason perform in the 1994 Leadville Trail 100?
2. How did the Tarahumara team change in the 1993 Leadville Trail 100? What were their shoes like?
3. What did Dr. Joe Vigil find astounding about Ann's performance in the 1994 Leadville Trail 100?
4. How is Rick Fisher described by the author in Chapter 8? What were Fisher's principle motivations?
5. What did the author discover about Caballo Blanco as they ate lunch in Chapter 7?
6. How is the Leadville Trail 100 described in the text?
7. Who paid the author to seek the Tarahumara for a story in Chapter 3? How did the author begin setting up his trip?
8. Who was Emil Zatopek? How is his running style described?
9. What did the author learn from the schoolteacher of the Tarahumara in Chapter 6?
10. How did viewers respond to the Tarahumara runners at their first attempt at the Leadville Trail 100?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the history of barefoot running and the Nike Corporation. When was Nike established? How did their running footwear evolve?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the biography and career of author Christopher McDougall. When was the book published and what have critics written about it?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and analyze the outcome of the 1994 Leadville Trail 100. How did Ann Trason feel about her performance in the race?
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)