|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who came in third place in the 1994 Leadville Trail 100?
2. Who was referred to as a tall white man who spoke his own unique language and appeared sporadically to the Tarahumara in Chapter 5?
3. The Copper Canyons are located in the southwestern part of what state in Mexico?
4. Where did Ann Trason work when she decided to run the Leadville Trail 100?
5. What refers to the seasonal movement of people with their livestock over relatively short distances, typically to higher pastures in summer and to lower valleys in winter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Rick realize after the 1992 Leadville Trail 100?
2. What was the outcome of the 1994 Leadville Trail 100? Where did Ann Trason place?
3. How does the author describe the destination Salvador led him to in Chapter 4?
4. How is Rick Fisher described by the author in Chapter 8? What were Fisher's principle motivations?
5. Who did Ann Trason and the Tarahumara have as mules in the 1994 Leadville Trail 100? What was their job?
6. How did viewers respond to the Tarahumara runners at their first attempt at the Leadville Trail 100?
7. Who paid the author to seek the Tarahumara for a story in Chapter 3? How did the author begin setting up his trip?
8. What did the author learn from the schoolteacher of the Tarahumara in Chapter 6?
9. Who was Ann Trason? How is she described in the text?
10. What doctor did the author go to see in Chapter 2? What was the doctor's assertion of running on the body?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the life and career of Scott Jurek and his role in the narrative. What did having Jurek run mean for the race?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the life, history and myths surrounding Caballo Blanco. Where was Caballo from and why had he come to live amongst the Tarahumara?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the training methods of Christopher McDougall in preparing for the Tarahumara race. Who did he work with and what style of performance did he achieve?
This section contains 917 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)