|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Christopher McDougall spent how many years as a foreign correspondent for the Associated Press?
2. Jenn Shelton found her strength in what parts of the race in Chapter 31?
(a) The low elevations.
(b) The uphills.
(c) The high elevations.
(d) The downhills.
3. What young scientist is described in Chapter 28 who discovered that the intake of air was a critical element for a runner?
(a) David Carrier.
(b) Victoriano Churro.
(c) Charles Williams.
(d) Emil Zapotek.
4. In Chapter 20, the author was back in Mexico and he only had how much time to find Caballo?
(a) 48 hours.
(b) 24 hours.
(c) 72 hours.
(d) 36 hours.
5. What kind of names did Caballo use when introducing the Americans to the Tarahumara runners in Chapter 29?
(a) River names.
(b) Constellation names.
(c) Tree names.
(d) Animal names.
Short Answer Questions
1. Creel is located how many kilometers to the southwest of the state capital, Chihuahua?
2. Who examined animals and humans from the past and present to see how they compared and contrasted, as described in Chapter 28?
3. Who, along with the author, helped in rescuing two of the runners in Chapter 26?
4. On what date was the race set in Chapter 20?
5. What periodical hired Christopher McDougall to write a cover story about why America hasn't been hit by another terrorist attack since September 11?
Short Essay Questions
1. What surprised the author about the drunken couple in Chapter 21?
2. Who awoke the author in Chapter 24 for a run? What took place?
3. What was the town like on the morning of the race in Chapter 31?
4. What happened after Caballo left Hawaii, as he describes in Chapter 32?
5. What was the principle concern for Caballo in the beginning of Chapter 29?
6. What was the first company to focus on running shoes? How is the company described in Chapter 25?
7. Where were the runners staying before the race in Chapter 26? What did they discuss over dinner in this chapter?
8. What did the American runners do on their night of arrival in Chapter 21?
9. Who won the race in Mexico in Chapter 31? How did the runners feel at the end of the race?
10. What did the author remark about Scott and Arnulfo in Chapter 30?
This section contains 927 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)