|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In which town?
2. Who received a standing ovation?
3. What state was home to the now deceased Corporal referred to by Kovic?
4. Where is the group located?
5. Who eventually interviews Kovic?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the one story that Kovic was unwilling to share with the crowds?
2. Describe Kovic's choice to move to California. Who went with him?
3. Discuss Kovic's arrival in Miami, on the way to the convention. How did the crowd react to Kovic's arrival?
4. Briefly describe the conversations at the parade about other veterans.
5. How does Kovic react to getting his own apartment? Where was it located?
6. Discuss how Kovic prepares for the Memorial Day Parade.
7. Discuss at least one of the things Kovic thought about on the way to the Republican National Convention.
8. How do the people react to the arrival of Nixon? How is the crowd's reaction different from Kovic's reaction?
9. Explain Kovic's interaction with police when he is arrested at Nixon's campaign headquarters.
10. Discuss the speech portion of the parade and how it affected Kovic.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Interview someone who served in Vietnam and write a 1000 word essay on the experience and how it affected the soldier's life. Be sure to include any traumatic events, real or imagined as well as post traumatic stress, involvement with the VA, and life before and after the war.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the life of an American soldier with soldiers from at least two other countries. Get photographs, if possible. Create two sets of comparisons - one using the modern military and one from World War I. Then compare the two time periods.
Essay Topic 3
Study the concept of flashbacks. What causes them? Are they based in reality or are they a sign of psychosis? What types of things might one see in a flashback? How are flashbacks used in the story? Does the use of flashback help you to understand more about the story and Kovic's character? Explain.
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)