|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened in the village?
2. Who makes sure Kovic isn't seen on camera?
3. Which television station does the anchor work for?
4. What holiday was being celebrated?
5. How did Kovic and friends feel after the rally?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the people react to the arrival of Nixon? How is the crowd's reaction different from Kovic's reaction?
2. What was the one story that Kovic was unwilling to share with the crowds?
3. Discuss Kovic's foray into the anti-war movement.
4. Where does Kovic often go for entertainment? What did he do there?
5. How does Kovic react to getting his own apartment? Where was it located?
6. Describe Kovic's choice to move to California. Who went with him?
7. Briefly describe the conversations at the parade about other veterans.
8. Describe the readings at the rally and how the crowd reacted to the speakers.
9. What was a typical daily ritual for Kovic in regards to religion?
10. Discuss Kovic's attempts to catch the attention of the media. Who was the target? Who responded?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is The Medal for Conspicuous Service to the State of New York? Why was it awarded to Kovic? Who awarded the medal? Is there any special significance to the award? If so, what? Explain how Kovic felt about the medal and what he did with it after it was awarded. Would it be a symbol of pride or a reminder of the death and destruction?
Essay Topic 2
Do you think about the general was really indifferent to the situation or was attempting to be professional and appropriately sympathetic? Discuss how you might feel in the same situation. Examine it from both sides. Also examine military protocol regarding the visiting of soldiers and the meting out of commendations and awards during peace time and during war time. What changes?
Essay Topic 3
What is a Purple Heart? Why is it given to soldiers? Name some scenarios in which a purple heart would be awarded to a soldier. Have you ever seen a purple heart? If so, who did it belong to? Compare and contrast the purple heart to similar medals and commendations given out by other countries. How have the traditions changed over the years?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)