|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Kovic's favorite bar?
2. What city is host to the big convention?
3. People thank Kovic for what?
4. Who moves with Kovic?
5. Kovic would often stay up all night doing what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was a typical daily ritual for Kovic in regards to religion?
2. What is Kovic's reaction to the number of people in attendance?
3. Describe the incident when Kovic got incredibly drunk.
4. How do the people react to the arrival of Nixon? How is the crowd's reaction different from Kovic's reaction?
5. Explain Kovic's interaction with police when he is arrested at Nixon's campaign headquarters.
6. Discuss Kovic's arrival in Miami, on the way to the convention. How did the crowd react to Kovic's arrival?
7. How does Kovic react to getting his own apartment? Where was it located?
8. Discuss Kovic's attempts to catch the attention of the media. Who was the target? Who responded?
9. What happens to Kovic when Spiro Agnew takes the stage at the rally?
10. Explain Kovic's choice of vacation spot. Why that spot? How was it related to his injuries?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how Kovic must have felt arriving back in the United States after being in Vietnam. How would you have felt in the same situation? Which would feel stranger to you - arriving in the states or going home to your house? Explain. Also, write about how friends and family might treat you differently after you returned home from war. What kind of treatment would one expect? Would it be different depending on amount or extent of wounds? Would it be different if the wounds were physical or mental?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and how it affects veterans of all ages as well as soldiers still in service. What causes it? What are the symptoms? What are the treatments? Is there a cure? What can be done about it?
Essay Topic 3
Examine Kovic's reaction to being born on the Fourth of July. First as a child, then as a teenager and young adult, and in the service, before and after he was wounded. How do you think Kovic feels about it now? Do you think that writing the book helped or hindered Kovic's cause? Explain.
This section contains 814 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)