|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the toughest part of the challenge to learn Icelandic for Daniel?
2. What is Daniel's main role as a volunteer in Lithuania?
3. How many hours did it take Daniel to publicly recite pi?
4. What is amazing about the way in which Kim Peek can read a book and memorize it?
5. How does Daniel best learn new languages?
Short Essay Questions
1. What locations in Iceland fascinated Daniel the most? Why?
2. Why did Daniel spend his first weekend in Kaunas inside his new apartment?
3. What is Daniel's relationship with words?
4. Why do you think the woman who interviewed Daniel at the Volunteer Services Overseas office might have thought he was a perfect candidate to teach English overseas?
5. How is Daniel's partner, Neil, similar to Daniel?
6. Why did Daniel think about creating his own private language when he was young?
7. What had Daniel learned during his year in Kaunas?
8. Why does Daniel want to do a fundraiser for the Epilepsy Society?
9. What aspects of language does Daniel find more difficult than others to understand?
10. Why did Daniel's travels and meetings during the making of Brainman and his appearances on television give him such a feeling of elation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Although he doesn't go into great detail about it, Daniel was teased and bullied throughout school. What sort of things probably happened to him? How does he cope with the bullying? Does he believe it had an effect on his personality?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Daniel's many obsessions. Are these obsessions the results of Asperger's or being a savant? What made others so exasperated with him? How did his parents treat these obsessions? Were they correct to do so?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Daniel find languages so fascinating? What aspects of languages are difficult for him? How does his facility with language help him in other areas of life?
This section contains 883 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)