|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Kim Peek?
2. Why did Daniel have mixed feelings about the documentary producers filming him in Las Vegas?
3. What caused Daniel to be interested in learning Spanish?
4. What is Esperanto?
5. How does Daniel view a sequence of numbers in his head?
Short Essay Questions
1. What had Daniel learned during his year in Kaunas?
2. Describe Daniel's state of mind as he recited pi for an audience for more than five hours.
3. What is Daniel's relationship with words?
4. What were some of the biggest concerns about Daniel's involvement with the documentary and how did he overcome them?
5. What locations in Iceland fascinated Daniel the most? Why?
6. Why did Daniel think about creating his own private language when he was young?
7. Why is Daniel so enthralled with pi?
8. Why did Daniel's travels and meetings during the making of Brainman and his appearances on television give him such a feeling of elation?
9. During his training for Volunteer Services, what were the main learning goals for Daniel and the class?
10. Why is Icelandic considered to be such a difficult language to learn?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Daniel's many obsessions. Are these obsessions the results of Asperger's or being a savant? What made others so exasperated with him? How did his parents treat these obsessions? Were they correct to do so?
Essay Topic 2
Daniel is diagnosed with epilepsy as a young child. How has this affected him throughout his life? Did it have any effect on his family? Do you believe his grandfather's diagnosis was a contributing factor to his diagnosis? Do you think the epilepsy helped cause his savant abilities or vice versa?
Essay Topic 3
Although he doesn't go into great detail about it, Daniel was teased and bullied throughout school. What sort of things probably happened to him? How does he cope with the bullying? Does he believe it had an effect on his personality?
This section contains 952 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)