|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Jay in 2004?
2. In what experiment did Daniel participate with Dr. Gary Morgan in 2005?
3. Daniel sees a tarakona in his kitchen. What is that?
4. What dream did Daniel have the night before his public recitation of pi?
5. Whose photo does Daniel keep on the dresser in his kitchen?
Short Essay Questions
1. What locations in Iceland fascinated Daniel the most? Why?
2. Scientists are beginning to question whether Daniel's ability with language extends to other forms of language, such as sign language. What happens when he is tested for this?
3. What had Daniel learned during his year in Kaunas?
4. Describe Daniel's state of mind as he recited pi for an audience for more than five hours.
5. Why did the involvement in a documentary about his story make Daniel think it was the opportunity of a lifetime?
6. How is Daniel's method of memorizing the digits of pi different from most other people's methods?
7. Why did Daniel end up walking up the steep hill of Volunteer Ave. on his commute to the Volunteer Center?
8. When Daniel goes on an interview for a library position, why does he most likely not get the job?
9. Why was Daniel unhappy and somewhat anxious when the producers first revealed to him their choice of language he would learn?
10. Why did Daniel think about creating his own private language when he was young?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Daniel experiences numbers and language synesthetically.
1) Describe what synesthesia is.
2) Explain some ways in which Daniel experiences synesthesia.
3) How is this different from the way the average person perceives numbers and words?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Daniel find languages so fascinating? What aspects of languages are difficult for him? How does his facility with language help him in other areas of life?
Essay Topic 3
What are your feelings about Daniel after reading about his experiences as a child and a schoolboy? Give examples to explain your feelings. Do you think this was a painful book for him to write? Why?
This section contains 841 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)