|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is amazing about the way in which Kim Peek can read a book and memorize it?
2. What caused Daniel to be interested in learning Spanish?
3. How did Neil help Daniel memorize the pi digits?
4. How did the scientists testing Daniel in California know that he realized their string of pi digits was incorrect?
5. How has love changed Daniel?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Daniel's travels and meetings during the making of Brainman and his appearances on television give him such a feeling of elation?
2. Describe Daniel's state of mind as he recited pi for an audience for more than five hours.
3. Why did Daniel spend his first weekend in Kaunas inside his new apartment?
4. Why did the scientists in California ask if Daniel could visit with them longer?
5. How did Daniel prepare himself for the airplane flight to California?
6. Why is Daniel so enthralled with pi?
7. What locations in Iceland fascinated Daniel the most? Why?
8. Why is Icelandic considered to be such a difficult language to learn?
9. Scientists are beginning to question whether Daniel's ability with language extends to other forms of language, such as sign language. What happens when he is tested for this?
10. Why did Daniel think about creating his own private language when he was young?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Even after having found Neil, Daniel continues to have problems interacting with people on a social level. What problem still exists for him and why? Is this something that will improve with time? If so, how? If not, why not?
Essay Topic 2
Pi is the ratio of a circle's circumference to its diameter. Daniel (as well as many others) is fascinated with pi. It is an infinite, irrational number. Daniel spends a chapter in the book explaining pi and his relationship with it. Why do you think this fascinates him? Does he see pi in the same way that he experiences other numbers and words? Why, besides raising money for epilepsy research, does Daniel learn pi to some many decimal places at all?
Essay Topic 3
Daniel is diagnosed with epilepsy as a young child. How has this affected him throughout his life? Did it have any effect on his family? Do you believe his grandfather's diagnosis was a contributing factor to his diagnosis? Do you think the epilepsy helped cause his savant abilities or vice versa?
This section contains 981 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)