|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Daniel developed a love for a certain type of story as a child. These were:
2. Who in Daniel's family had also suffered from epilepsy?
3. When his behavior was good, how did Daniel's parents reward him?
4. What numerical calculation is Daniel's favorite type to do?
5. A brilliant painter who suffered from seizures was:
Short Essay Questions
1. Although Daniel did not interact with other children at the nursery, he did not feel lonely. Why was this?
2. Professor Allan Snyder believes that savant abilities may be in everyone. How does he feel that Daniels abilities were unlocked?
3. Epilepsy had an impact upon Daniel in some ways. What are they?
4. Why did Daniel's brothers and sisters play "games" with him such as ironing clothes and collecting books around the house to categorize?
5. Daniel sees days and dates in a certain way. How does he see his birth date as a certain color?
6. Why did the workers at the nursery school Daniel attended not try very hard to make him play with the other children?
7. Daniel wanted to make friends in school. What did he do when someone spoke to him and tried to initiate conversation?
8. Why was Daniel's epilepsy not debilitating to him?
9. Daniel seems to cry nonstop as a baby even into his first year of life. What is his parent's attitude toward constant crying?
10. Why did some of the children in primary school call Daniel a crybaby?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Daniel is drawn to learn more about the language of Esperanto. He also develops his own language and calls it Manti. Why do you think he makes up his own language? Will he be able to speak it with anyone else? Why has his development of Manti attracted the attention of language researchers?
Essay Topic 2
Daniel meeting Kim Peek can perhaps be compared to Bob Dylan meeting the Beatles for the first time. Kim does not converse much, but based on what he does say and his actions, what does he think about his meeting with Daniel? Are they equally impressed with one another?
Essay Topic 3
Daniel meets his partner, Neil, on the internet. What is it about the computer that makes life so much easier for him? Why does he and others on the autistic spectrum find communication on the internet reassuring? How does the computer become one of his life's focuses?
This section contains 943 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)