|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did the Tammet family need to bargain hunt in charity shops and do their own home repairs?
2. What was one of the things Daniel enjoyed about the chess club he joined?
3. During grade school Daniel longs for:
4. What illness struck Daniel's father when Daniel was ten years old?
5. What 1988 film featured a character having a syndrome similar to Daniel's?
Short Essay Questions
1. There were only a few places where Daniel felt safe and calm. Where were those places and why did they calm him?
2. Why was Daniel's epilepsy not debilitating to him?
3. Why did the workers at the nursery school Daniel attended not try very hard to make him play with the other children?
4. Daniel seems to cry nonstop as a baby even into his first year of life. What is his parent's attitude toward constant crying?
5. Why was Daniel able to score so well on weekly vocabulary or spelling tests?
6. Although Daniel did not interact with other children at the nursery, he did not feel lonely. Why was this?
7. What role did epilepsy play in Daniel's being an autistic savant?
8. Epilepsy had an impact upon Daniel in some ways. What are they?
9. Daniel wanted to make friends in school. What did he do when someone spoke to him and tried to initiate conversation?
10. For what reasons did Daniel prefer non-fiction to fiction?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Even after having found Neil, Daniel continues to have problems interacting with people on a social level. What problem still exists for him and why? Is this something that will improve with time? If so, how? If not, why not?
Essay Topic 2
Daniel meets his partner, Neil, on the internet. What is it about the computer that makes life so much easier for him? Why does he and others on the autistic spectrum find communication on the internet reassuring? How does the computer become one of his life's focuses?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Daniel find languages so fascinating? What aspects of languages are difficult for him? How does his facility with language help him in other areas of life?
This section contains 898 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)