|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What error did Daniel make out of nervousness at taking the public bus home from secondary school the first day?
2. When Daniel's class watched the program Dark Towers, Daniel realized that he was:
3. Daniel was relentless at doing one thing when he was a baby. What was that?
4. How does the narrator know that he was born on a Wednesday?
5. There were everyday activities children learn that Daniel took much longer than average to do. One of these was:
Short Essay Questions
1. Daniel sees days and dates in a certain way. How does he see his birth date as a certain color?
2. From when he was two-years-old, Daniel began to bang his head repeatedly against walls. Why might he have done this and what did his parents do to stop him?
3. What makes Daniel consider his parents to be his heroes?
4. Professor Allan Snyder believes that savant abilities may be in everyone. How does he feel that Daniels abilities were unlocked?
5. What is synesthesia and how does it affect Daniel?
6. When going home from secondary school on the first day, why did Daniel take the bus going in the wrong direction?
7. Daniel seems to cry nonstop as a baby even into his first year of life. What is his parent's attitude toward constant crying?
8. How did Daniel's father's mental breakdown slowly show signs of happening?
9. There were only a few places where Daniel felt safe and calm. Where were those places and why did they calm him?
10. When Daniel began secondary school, why did he go to the library during recess and eat lunch alone?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Daniel's parents enroll him in nursery school where he keeps to himself and is fascinated with textures and watching the floor as he walks. Current knowledge about autism and Asperger's syndrome recommends that those children be around others for social stimulation as much as possible. Do you think going to nursery school was the best thing for Daniel? Did it help him in any way? Did it do any damage? Did anything change for him at home as a result?
Essay Topic 2
Daniel experiences numbers and language synesthetically.
1) Describe what synesthesia is.
2) Explain some ways in which Daniel experiences synesthesia.
3) How is this different from the way the average person perceives numbers and words?
Essay Topic 3
Even after having found Neil, Daniel continues to have problems interacting with people on a social level. What problem still exists for him and why? Is this something that will improve with time? If so, how? If not, why not?
This section contains 1,002 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)