|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of language does Daniel find most confusing because of his Asperger's?
(a) Semantic language.
(b) Idiomatic language.
(c) Symbolic language.
(d) Foreign language.
2. What method do many pi enthusiasts use to memorize pi's infinite string of digits?
(a) Sentences using words with the number of letters in each successive pi digit.
(b) A method incorporating language and math.
(c) Mathematical strings which always equate to a number of pi digits.
(d) Memorization of the numbers by recitation only.
3. What was Daniel's mood like on the flight to California?
4. How long is Daniel's challenge in Iceland reduced in time?
(a) To four days.
(b) To six days.
(c) To one day.
(d) It is still one week.
5. How does Daniel view a sequence of numbers in his head?
(a) He sees numbers and their shapes, leaving out the annoying ones.
(b) He hears the numbers and sees lights that form a portrait.
(c) He sees colors, shapes, and textures that form landscapes.
(d) He imagines the numbers as food and beach pebbles.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the scientists testing Daniel in California know that he realized their string of pi digits was incorrect?
2. Who becomes Daniel's closest friend in Lithuania?
3. What is amazing about the way in which Kim Peek can read a book and memorize it?
4. How do Neil and Daniel try to encourage their cat, Jay, to learn social skills and become more approachable?
5. What language is Daniel learning when the book is being written?
Short Essay Questions
1. What had Daniel learned during his year in Kaunas?
2. When Daniel returns to his family's new home after a year in Lithuania, why must he readjust to living there?
3. Why did Daniel think about creating his own private language when he was young?
4. Why is Daniel so enthralled with pi?
5. How is Daniel's partner, Neil, similar to Daniel?
6. Why did Daniel's travels and meetings during the making of Brainman and his appearances on television give him such a feeling of elation?
7. When Daniel goes on an interview for a library position, why does he most likely not get the job?
8. Why did Daniel end up walking up the steep hill of Volunteer Ave. on his commute to the Volunteer Center?
9. Why did the involvement in a documentary about his story make Daniel think it was the opportunity of a lifetime?
10. Why does Daniel want to do a fundraiser for the Epilepsy Society?
This section contains 938 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)