|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Daniel say people are surprised when he tells them he is a Christian?
(a) They believe being autistic makes abstract thought too difficult.
(b) He was not brought up Christian.
(c) His thought process is too logical.
(d) He dislikes being with too many other people.
2. How long is Daniel's challenge in Iceland reduced in time?
(a) To four days.
(b) To one day.
(c) To six days.
(d) It is still one week.
3. What does Kim Peek's father, Fran, tell Daniel to say to Kim upon meeting him?
(a) "Ask him about pi."
(b) "Ask him if he is a savant, too."
(c) "Give him your birth date."
(d) "Tell him you like this library."
4. Why did Daniel have mixed feelings about the documentary producers filming him in Las Vegas?
(a) He felt it would be gaudy and tacky there.
(b) He did want to trivialize his abilities.
(c) It was too hot for him there.
(d) He did not like large crowds.
5. Why is learning new languages easier if you already know more than one?
(a) All languages have the same syntax rules.
(b) Your brain is in a receptive mode.
(c) Languages belong to "families" of related, similar languages.
(d) Each language is a separate color in your mind.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the toughest part of the challenge to learn Icelandic for Daniel?
2. What happens to Jay in 2004?
3. How did Neil help Daniel memorize the pi digits?
4. How do Neil and Daniel try to encourage their cat, Jay, to learn social skills and become more approachable?
5. What language is Daniel learning when the book is being written?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Daniel's method of memorizing the digits of pi different from most other people's methods?
2. Why did the involvement in a documentary about his story make Daniel think it was the opportunity of a lifetime?
3. Why is Daniel so enthralled with pi?
4. Why did Daniel spend his first weekend in Kaunas inside his new apartment?
5. Describe Daniel's state of mind as he recited pi for an audience for more than five hours.
6. Why did Daniel end up walking up the steep hill of Volunteer Ave. on his commute to the Volunteer Center?
7. During his training for Volunteer Services, what were the main learning goals for Daniel and the class?
8. Why did the scientists in California ask if Daniel could visit with them longer?
9. Why did Daniel's travels and meetings during the making of Brainman and his appearances on television give him such a feeling of elation?
10. Why did Daniel think about creating his own private language when he was young?
This section contains 929 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)