|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What conversational tactic has Daniel used over the years that does not work well within his relationship with Neil?
(a) Smiling even during an argument.
(b) Pretending to understand something when he does not.
(c) Constantly asking questions.
(d) Responding to every question with an overly long answer.
2. What was the toughest part of the challenge to learn Icelandic for Daniel?
(a) The erratic language.
(b) The time pressure.
(c) The syntax.
(d) The long words.
3. Who becomes Daniel's closest friend in Lithuania?
4. Who is Kim Peek?
(a) The main scientist working on savant syndrome.
(b) The producer of the documentary being made about Daniel.
(c) The real-life inspiration behind the Rain Man character.
(d) The helpful flight attendant Daniel met on the plane.
5. How did Neil help Daniel memorize the pi digits?
(a) He had Daniel repeat them after him.
(b) He rented a separate apartment for him to study in.
(c) He researched the digits.
(d) He printed large strings of them on paper.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is amazing about the way in which Kim Peek can read a book and memorize it?
2. Six months after meeting Neil, what does Daniel do?
3. How does Daniel feel about having met with Kim Peek?
4. What was Daniel's mood like on the flight to California?
5. What type of language does Daniel find most confusing because of his Asperger's?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Daniel goes on an interview for a library position, why does he most likely not get the job?
2. What aspects of language does Daniel find more difficult than others to understand?
3. Describe Daniel's state of mind as he recited pi for an audience for more than five hours.
4. Why did Daniel spend his first weekend in Kaunas inside his new apartment?
5. During his training for Volunteer Services, what were the main learning goals for Daniel and the class?
6. Why did Daniel's travels and meetings during the making of Brainman and his appearances on television give him such a feeling of elation?
7. How is Daniel's method of memorizing the digits of pi different from most other people's methods?
8. When Daniel returns to his family's new home after a year in Lithuania, why must he readjust to living there?
9. How is Daniel's partner, Neil, similar to Daniel?
10. What had Daniel learned during his year in Kaunas?
This section contains 956 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)