|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Daniel developed a love for a certain type of story as a child. These were:
(a) Love stories.
(c) Horror stories.
(d) Fairy tales.
2. Who in Daniel's family had also suffered from epilepsy?
(a) His mother's father.
(b) His father's father.
(c) His maternal aunt.
(d) His father's brother.
3. What is synesthesia?
(a) A disease whereby one's limbs fall asleep.
(b) A form of deep depression.
(c) A rare neurological mixing of the senses.
(d) An extremely rare form of schizophrenia.
4. At the age of two, where did Daniel begin to go on a daily basis?
(a) A childcare center.
(b) The children's hospital.
(c) Nursery school.
(d) Physical therapy.
5. In what voice is the story told?
(b) Third person.
(c) First person.
(d) Second person.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Daniel's father end up living for a year and a half when he was a child?
2. Into what genre would this book fall?
3. How was Daniel's development as a child with walking and speaking?
4. What is one of the reasons Daniel Tammet wrote this memoir?
5. In Chapter 6, Daniel discusses an awkward love note he handed to someone when he was sixteen. How did this person respond?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what ways does Daniel compare himself to Raymond Babbitt of the movie, Rain Man?
2. From when he was two-years-old, Daniel began to bang his head repeatedly against walls. Why might he have done this and what did his parents do to stop him?
3. In what way does Daniel think about numbers?
4. Why was Daniel able to score so well on weekly vocabulary or spelling tests?
5. In what ways does Asperger's syndrome, the kind of autism Daniel has, affect his life?
6. What role did epilepsy play in Daniel's being an autistic savant?
7. Why doesn't Daniel remember or notice the names or faces of fellow classmates in nursery school?
8. Why do you think Kevin, Daniel's father, tells his wife who is pregnant with Daniel, "Whatever happens, we'll love him."
9. Although Daniel did not interact with other children at the nursery, he did not feel lonely. Why was this?
10. Professor Allan Snyder believes that savant abilities may be in everyone. How does he feel that Daniels abilities were unlocked?
This section contains 900 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)