|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who meets Daniel at the airport on his return trip to London?
2. Where does the name "pi" come from?
(a) The Museum of the History of Mathematics.
(b) The sixteenth letter of the Greek alphabet.
(c) The word for "irrational number" in Russian.
(d) The Greek mathematician, Archimedes.
3. In what city did Daniel meet with Kim Peek?
(b) Salt Lake City.
(c) New York.
(d) San Diego.
4. How was Daniel able to win at Blackjack?
(a) Playing instinctively.
(b) Counting cards.
(c) Pure luck.
5. Why does Daniel say people are surprised when he tells them he is a Christian?
(a) They believe being autistic makes abstract thought too difficult.
(b) His thought process is too logical.
(c) He was not brought up Christian.
(d) He dislikes being with too many other people.
6. What is the name of the city in Iceland that Daniel must go to?
7. How did Neil help Daniel memorize the pi digits?
(a) He printed large strings of them on paper.
(b) He had Daniel repeat them after him.
(c) He researched the digits.
(d) He rented a separate apartment for him to study in.
8. What is Iceland's literacy rate?
9. Who is Kim Peek?
(a) The helpful flight attendant Daniel met on the plane.
(b) The main scientist working on savant syndrome.
(c) The real-life inspiration behind the Rain Man character.
(d) The producer of the documentary being made about Daniel.
10. How was Daniel's verbal practice of pi recitation frustrating for him?
(a) The numbers are visual to him and recitation is verbal.
(b) He did not like speaking out loud.
(c) Any noises slowed him down.
(d) The digits were long and his voice grew tired.
11. Why are nouns Daniel's favorite parts of speech?
(a) They are the easiest words to learn.
(b) The tense does not change.
(c) They have a mathematical element.
(d) They are easiest for him to visualize.
12. How many digits of pi was Daniel able to recite to beat the record?
13. What was the toughest part of the challenge to learn Icelandic for Daniel?
(a) The erratic language.
(b) The long words.
(c) The syntax.
(d) The time pressure.
14. In Chapter 8, Daniel mentions one social situation that caused him great anxiety. What was that?
(a) Neil drops some silverware at home during a dinner party.
(b) Neil's parents come to visit.
(c) Someone is smoking in the restaurant he is eating in with Neil .
(d) A party at Ian's house becomes too crowded.
15. What is Daniel's apartment like in the new country where he volunteers?
(c) Newly built.
Short Answer Questions
1. What conversational tactic has Daniel used over the years that does not work well within his relationship with Neil?
2. How many hours did it take Daniel to publicly recite pi?
3. How does Daniel meet his partner, Neil?
4. What does Kim Peek's father, Fran, tell Daniel to say to Kim upon meeting him?
5. What is the name of the educational website for learning language that Neil and Daniel created?
This section contains 535 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)