|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did the scientists testing Daniel in California know that he realized their string of pi digits was incorrect?
(a) He put his head down and withdrew from them.
(b) He screamed that they had it wrong.
(c) He had a physiological response when looking at it.
(d) They were not aware of it.
2. What American television show did Daniel appear on after the broadcasting of the documentary he was in?
(a) The Today Show.
(b) The View.
(c) Late Show with David Letterman.
(d) The Tonight Show.
3. What is the name of the educational website for learning language that Neil and Daniel created?
4. How has love changed Daniel?
(a) He is more dependent upon others.
(b) He has learned that he can never live alone again.
(c) It has made him more open to others and the world around him.
(d) It has made him aware of jealousy and other bad feelings.
5. Who is Daniel's landlord in his Lithuanian apartment building?
6. Some scientists believe that metaphors may be the result of:
(a) Higher level thinking in poets.
(b) Phonemic inflections of word sounds.
(c) Synesthestic experiences and linguistic creativity.
(d) Creative visual/spatial language.
7. What does the National Autistic Society in England suggest as a fairer alternative to a job interview for autistic people?
(a) A work trial.
(b) A telephone call.
(c) A résumé.
(d) Good references.
8. How many digits of pi was Daniel able to recite to beat the record?
9. How was Daniel able to win at Blackjack?
(a) Pure luck.
(b) Counting cards.
(c) Playing instinctively.
10. How did anyone know if Daniel was reciting pi correctly?
(a) Neil was keeping track from the audience.
(b) There were checkers to be sure he was.
(c) The numbers were flashed on a screen behind Daniel.
(d) There was no way to know.
11. Why does Daniel's brother, Steven, require a lot of help from his family?
(a) He has a rare disease.
(b) He has Asperger's Syndrome.
(c) He is severely autistic.
(d) He has leukemia.
12. What method do many pi enthusiasts use to memorize pi's infinite string of digits?
(a) Mathematical strings which always equate to a number of pi digits.
(b) Sentences using words with the number of letters in each successive pi digit.
(c) Memorization of the numbers by recitation only.
(d) A method incorporating language and math.
13. When Daniel has an interview with the Voluntary Services Overseas organization, what is his main goal in doing so?
(a) To avoid going to university.
(b) He is not sure.
(c) Spreading Christianity.
(d) Becoming more independent.
14. Why are nouns Daniel's favorite parts of speech?
(a) They are the easiest words to learn.
(b) The tense does not change.
(c) They have a mathematical element.
(d) They are easiest for him to visualize.
15. How does Daniel best learn new languages?
(b) By playing Scrabble with the foreign letters.
(c) From watching television.
(d) By listening to it spoken.
Short Answer Questions
1. What dream did Daniel have the night before his public recitation of pi?
2. To what Lithuanian city was Daniel assigned to volunteer?
3. How does Daniel view a sequence of numbers in his head?
4. Whose photo does Daniel keep on the dresser in his kitchen?
5. How did Daniel's family react to Brainman when it was shown in Britain?
This section contains 602 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)