|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Daniel have to prove that he had learned Icelandic in four days?
(a) Make a public speech on the radio.
(b) Teach that language to English-speaking people.
(c) Speak Icelandic on a televised show.
(d) Converse only in Icelandic for an entire day.
2. How is Daniel trained for his volunteer assignment?
(a) Fun activities, foreign language lessons, and films.
(b) Film, lectures, and fieldwork.
(c) Teamwork, lectures, and group discussion.
3. How long is Daniel's challenge in Iceland reduced in time?
(a) To one day.
(b) It is still one week.
(c) To six days.
(d) To four days.
4. How did anyone know if Daniel was reciting pi correctly?
(a) There was no way to know.
(b) There were checkers to be sure he was.
(c) Neil was keeping track from the audience.
(d) The numbers were flashed on a screen behind Daniel.
5. Why did Daniel decide to publicly recite as many digits in the number pi as he could to beat a record?
(a) To raise money for autism research.
(b) To raise money for the National Society for Epilepsy.
(c) For a documentary he was making.
(d) To impress Neil.
6. How many hours did it take Daniel to publicly recite pi?
7. How many digits of pi was Daniel able to recite to beat the record?
8. Some scientists believe that metaphors may be the result of:
(a) Creative visual/spatial language.
(b) Phonemic inflections of word sounds.
(c) Higher level thinking in poets.
(d) Synesthestic experiences and linguistic creativity.
9. What job does Daniel interview for and not receive?
(a) An English tutor.
(b) A translator.
(c) A social worker.
(d) A library position.
10. What is the name of the educational website for learning language that Neil and Daniel created?
11. What happens to Jay in 2004?
(a) She runs away.
(b) She becomes litter trained.
(c) She has kittens.
(d) She dies.
12. Who is Kim Peek?
(a) The producer of the documentary being made about Daniel.
(b) The helpful flight attendant Daniel met on the plane.
(c) The main scientist working on savant syndrome.
(d) The real-life inspiration behind the Rain Man character.
13. How was Daniel's verbal practice of pi recitation frustrating for him?
(a) The digits were long and his voice grew tired.
(b) He did not like speaking out loud.
(c) Any noises slowed him down.
(d) The numbers are visual to him and recitation is verbal.
14. What does the National Autistic Society in England suggest as a fairer alternative to a job interview for autistic people?
(a) A résumé.
(b) Good references.
(c) A telephone call.
(d) A work trial.
15. Why is learning new languages easier if you already know more than one?
(a) All languages have the same syntax rules.
(b) Your brain is in a receptive mode.
(c) Languages belong to "families" of related, similar languages.
(d) Each language is a separate color in your mind.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't Daniel take notes during his training?
2. Who is Daniel's landlord in his Lithuanian apartment building?
3. What does Kim Peek's father, Fran, tell Daniel to say to Kim upon meeting him?
4. How does Daniel meet his partner, Neil?
5. Why does Daniel say people are surprised when he tells them he is a Christian?
This section contains 582 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)