|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is amazing about the way in which Kim Peek can read a book and memorize it?
(a) He reads from the bottom up.
(b) He reads only the middle sections.
(c) He reads two pages simultaneously, one with each eye.
(d) He can skim through a page in thirty seconds.
2. Who becomes Daniel's closest friend in Lithuania?
3. What is Daniel's main role as a volunteer in Lithuania?
(a) Math tutor.
(b) Social worker.
(d) Teaching English.
4. How did Daniel have to prove that he had learned Icelandic in four days?
(a) Teach that language to English-speaking people.
(b) Converse only in Icelandic for an entire day.
(c) Make a public speech on the radio.
(d) Speak Icelandic on a televised show.
5. What American television show did Daniel appear on after the broadcasting of the documentary he was in?
(a) The Today Show.
(b) The Tonight Show.
(c) Late Show with David Letterman.
(d) The View.
6. What happens to Jay in 2004?
(a) She becomes litter trained.
(b) She has kittens.
(c) She runs away.
(d) She dies.
7. What is Daniel's assignment for the volunteer organization?
(a) Farming instruction.
(b) English teacher.
(c) Social worker.
(d) Math teacher.
8. What does Kim Peek's father, Fran, tell Daniel to say to Kim upon meeting him?
(a) "Tell him you like this library."
(b) "Ask him about pi."
(c) "Give him your birth date."
(d) "Ask him if he is a savant, too."
9. What job does Daniel interview for and not receive?
(a) A library position.
(b) A social worker.
(c) A translator.
(d) An English tutor.
10. How does Daniel best learn new languages?
(a) From watching television.
(c) By listening to it spoken.
(d) By playing Scrabble with the foreign letters.
11. Who is Kim Peek?
(a) The producer of the documentary being made about Daniel.
(b) The real-life inspiration behind the Rain Man character.
(c) The main scientist working on savant syndrome.
(d) The helpful flight attendant Daniel met on the plane.
12. When Daniel has an interview with the Voluntary Services Overseas organization, what is his main goal in doing so?
(a) To avoid going to university.
(b) He is not sure.
(c) Becoming more independent.
(d) Spreading Christianity.
13. How do Neil and Daniel try to encourage their cat, Jay, to learn social skills and become more approachable?
(a) They hire a trainer.
(b) They send Jay to a pet camp.
(c) They get a puppy.
(d) They buy a kitten.
14. Who did Daniel help with advice on learning Romanian?
(a) His friend, Ian.
(b) His father.
(c) His Lithuanian friend, Birute.
(d) Neil's mother.
15. In what city did Daniel meet with Kim Peek?
(b) New York.
(c) San Diego.
(d) Salt Lake City.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the last challenge the documentary makers have for Daniel?
2. Why does Daniel let Neil shave his face for him?
3. How did Daniel's family react to Brainman when it was shown in Britain?
4. What is the documentary about Daniel titled?
5. How is Daniel trained for his volunteer assignment?
This section contains 548 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)