|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Daniel's favorite rock group?
(a) The Beatles.
(b) The Fray.
(c) Death Cab for Cutie.
(d) Red Hot Chili Peppers.
2. What is the name of the city in Iceland that Daniel must go to?
3. When Daniel has an interview with the Voluntary Services Overseas organization, what is his main goal in doing so?
(a) He is not sure.
(b) Spreading Christianity.
(c) Becoming more independent.
(d) To avoid going to university.
4. What sort of questions does Daniel discover Kim Peek likes to be asked most of all?
(a) Historical dates and figures.
(c) Film history.
(d) Scientific data.
5. What is Daniel's main role as a volunteer in Lithuania?
(a) Math tutor.
(b) Social worker.
(d) Teaching English.
6. How did the scientists testing Daniel in California know that he realized their string of pi digits was incorrect?
(a) He screamed that they had it wrong.
(b) They were not aware of it.
(c) He had a physiological response when looking at it.
(d) He put his head down and withdrew from them.
7. What does Kim Peek's father, Fran, tell Daniel to say to Kim upon meeting him?
(a) "Give him your birth date."
(b) "Ask him about pi."
(c) "Tell him you like this library."
(d) "Ask him if he is a savant, too."
8. Who meets Daniel at the airport on his return trip to London?
9. Why does Daniel let Neil shave his face for him?
(a) He cannot hold a razor comfortably in hands.
(b) He cannot be trusted with a razor.
(c) He would otherwise grow a very long beard.
(d) He finds the sensations too irritating to do it comfortably himself.
10. Who is Daniel's landlord in his Lithuanian apartment building?
11. What is the last challenge the documentary makers have for Daniel?
(a) To return to Lithuania and speak about himself.
(b) To learn a new language in one week.
(c) To recite pi publicly.
(d) To begin a language website.
12. What happens to Jay in 2004?
(a) She becomes litter trained.
(b) She dies.
(c) She has kittens.
(d) She runs away.
13. Why are nouns Daniel's favorite parts of speech?
(a) They are easiest for him to visualize.
(b) They have a mathematical element.
(c) They are the easiest words to learn.
(d) The tense does not change.
14. In what experiment did Daniel participate with Dr. Gary Morgan in 2005?
(a) Synesthetic connections.
(b) Reacting to bird song.
(c) Learning British sign language.
(d) Emotional language.
15. How was Daniel's verbal practice of pi recitation frustrating for him?
(a) Any noises slowed him down.
(b) The digits were long and his voice grew tired.
(c) The numbers are visual to him and recitation is verbal.
(d) He did not like speaking out loud.
Short Answer Questions
1. What skill did Professor Ramachandran first ask Daniel to demonstrate for him and his team?
2. In what city did Daniel meet with Kim Peek?
3. Professor Ramachandran theorizes that language emerged:
4. Who becomes Daniel's closest friend in Lithuania?
5. Whose photo does Daniel keep on the dresser in his kitchen?
This section contains 519 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)