|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What dream did Daniel have the night before his public recitation of pi?
(a) There were too many people watching him at the recitation.
(b) He was lost walking in Oxford.
(c) He was walking among his pi number landscapes.
(d) He lost his concentration during the recitation.
2. What skill did Professor Ramachandran first ask Daniel to demonstrate for him and his team?
(a) Conversational skills.
(b) Calculations in his head.
(c) Calendar calculations.
(d) Recitation of pi.
3. What American television show did Daniel appear on after the broadcasting of the documentary he was in?
(a) The View.
(b) Late Show with David Letterman.
(c) The Tonight Show.
(d) The Today Show.
4. Where does the name "pi" come from?
(a) The sixteenth letter of the Greek alphabet.
(b) The word for "irrational number" in Russian.
(c) The Museum of the History of Mathematics.
(d) The Greek mathematician, Archimedes.
5. What is the name of the educational website for learning language that Neil and Daniel created?
6. What is amazing about the way in which Kim Peek can read a book and memorize it?
(a) He reads from the bottom up.
(b) He can skim through a page in thirty seconds.
(c) He reads two pages simultaneously, one with each eye.
(d) He reads only the middle sections.
7. How does Daniel view a sequence of numbers in his head?
(a) He imagines the numbers as food and beach pebbles.
(b) He sees numbers and their shapes, leaving out the annoying ones.
(c) He hears the numbers and sees lights that form a portrait.
(d) He sees colors, shapes, and textures that form landscapes.
8. How does Daniel meet his partner, Neil?
(b) Through a newspaper ad.
(c) At a party.
(d) In school.
9. Whose photo does Daniel keep on the dresser in his kitchen?
(a) His nephew's.
(b) His mother's.
(c) His brother's.
10. When Daniel is interrupted during the interview with a question, what is his first reaction?
(d) He plugs up his ears.
11. What is Daniel's favorite rock group?
(a) Red Hot Chili Peppers.
(b) Death Cab for Cutie.
(c) The Fray.
(d) The Beatles.
12. Why is learning new languages easier if you already know more than one?
(a) All languages have the same syntax rules.
(b) Each language is a separate color in your mind.
(c) Languages belong to "families" of related, similar languages.
(d) Your brain is in a receptive mode.
13. When Daniel has an interview with the Voluntary Services Overseas organization, what is his main goal in doing so?
(a) To avoid going to university.
(b) Spreading Christianity.
(c) He is not sure.
(d) Becoming more independent.
14. Why are nouns Daniel's favorite parts of speech?
(a) The tense does not change.
(b) They are easiest for him to visualize.
(c) They have a mathematical element.
(d) They are the easiest words to learn.
15. Daniel sees a tarakona in his kitchen. What is that?
(a) A cockroach.
(b) A grasshopper.
(c) A mouse.
(d) An ant.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Daniel's mood like on the flight to California?
2. Why doesn't Daniel take notes during his training?
3. Six months after meeting Neil, what does Daniel do?
4. What sort of questions does Daniel discover Kim Peek likes to be asked most of all?
5. Who did Daniel help with advice on learning Romanian?
This section contains 563 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)