|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Neil help Daniel memorize the pi digits?
(a) He rented a separate apartment for him to study in.
(b) He had Daniel repeat them after him.
(c) He printed large strings of them on paper.
(d) He researched the digits.
2. How did Daniel have to prove that he had learned Icelandic in four days?
(a) Make a public speech on the radio.
(b) Converse only in Icelandic for an entire day.
(c) Speak Icelandic on a televised show.
(d) Teach that language to English-speaking people.
3. Why did Daniel have mixed feelings about the documentary producers filming him in Las Vegas?
(a) He did not like large crowds.
(b) It was too hot for him there.
(c) He felt it would be gaudy and tacky there.
(d) He did want to trivialize his abilities.
4. What method do many pi enthusiasts use to memorize pi's infinite string of digits?
(a) A method incorporating language and math.
(b) Sentences using words with the number of letters in each successive pi digit.
(c) Mathematical strings which always equate to a number of pi digits.
(d) Memorization of the numbers by recitation only.
5. What is amazing about the way in which Kim Peek can read a book and memorize it?
(a) He can skim through a page in thirty seconds.
(b) He reads two pages simultaneously, one with each eye.
(c) He reads only the middle sections.
(d) He reads from the bottom up.
6. How do Neil and Daniel try to encourage their cat, Jay, to learn social skills and become more approachable?
(a) They send Jay to a pet camp.
(b) They buy a kitten.
(c) They get a puppy.
(d) They hire a trainer.
7. Who did Daniel help with advice on learning Romanian?
(a) His Lithuanian friend, Birute.
(b) Neil's mother.
(c) His father.
(d) His friend, Ian.
8. How does Daniel meet his partner, Neil?
(a) Through a newspaper ad.
(b) At a party.
(d) In school.
9. Why does Daniel say people are surprised when he tells them he is a Christian?
(a) He was not brought up Christian.
(b) His thought process is too logical.
(c) They believe being autistic makes abstract thought too difficult.
(d) He dislikes being with too many other people.
10. What is Esperanto?
(a) A blend of many languages with logical grammar.
(b) The esoteric language used in Wales.
(c) A Spanish dialect.
(d) Daniel's made-up language.
11. What is Iceland's literacy rate?
12. How many digits of pi was Daniel able to recite to beat the record?
13. Who is Kim Peek?
(a) The main scientist working on savant syndrome.
(b) The helpful flight attendant Daniel met on the plane.
(c) The producer of the documentary being made about Daniel.
(d) The real-life inspiration behind the Rain Man character.
14. How was Daniel's verbal practice of pi recitation frustrating for him?
(a) He did not like speaking out loud.
(b) Any noises slowed him down.
(c) The digits were long and his voice grew tired.
(d) The numbers are visual to him and recitation is verbal.
15. What is the Feynman point in pi?
(a) The decimal places of 999999.
(b) It is pi to 707 decimal points.
(c) It is the last string of digits in pi.
(d) Where the digit 9 repeats itself eleven times, with other numbers in between.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who becomes Daniel's closest friend in Lithuania?
2. Why does Daniel let Neil shave his face for him?
3. How is Daniel trained for his volunteer assignment?
4. What American television show did Daniel appear on after the broadcasting of the documentary he was in?
5. Why did Daniel decide to publicly recite as many digits in the number pi as he could to beat a record?
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)