|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who did Daniel help with advice on learning Romanian?
(a) His friend, Ian.
(b) His Lithuanian friend, Birute.
(c) Neil's mother.
(d) His father.
2. What is the Feynman point in pi?
(a) Where the digit 9 repeats itself eleven times, with other numbers in between.
(b) It is pi to 707 decimal points.
(c) The decimal places of 999999.
(d) It is the last string of digits in pi.
3. How is Daniel trained for his volunteer assignment?
(a) Fun activities, foreign language lessons, and films.
(b) Film, lectures, and fieldwork.
(d) Teamwork, lectures, and group discussion.
4. How did anyone know if Daniel was reciting pi correctly?
(a) There was no way to know.
(b) Neil was keeping track from the audience.
(c) There were checkers to be sure he was.
(d) The numbers were flashed on a screen behind Daniel.
5. In what experiment did Daniel participate with Dr. Gary Morgan in 2005?
(a) Learning British sign language.
(b) Emotional language.
(c) Synesthetic connections.
(d) Reacting to bird song.
6. How did the scientists testing Daniel in California know that he realized their string of pi digits was incorrect?
(a) They were not aware of it.
(b) He had a physiological response when looking at it.
(c) He screamed that they had it wrong.
(d) He put his head down and withdrew from them.
7. How did Neil help Daniel memorize the pi digits?
(a) He rented a separate apartment for him to study in.
(b) He had Daniel repeat them after him.
(c) He researched the digits.
(d) He printed large strings of them on paper.
8. What is Daniel's apartment like in the new country where he volunteers?
(a) Newly built.
9. How does Daniel feel about having met with Kim Peek?
(a) He is upset that Kim cannot converse better with him.
(b) It is one of the happiest moments of his life.
(c) He wishes Kim lived in England.
(d) It is depressing that Kim cannot care for himself.
10. What is the name of the city in Iceland that Daniel must go to?
11. How many hours did it take Daniel to publicly recite pi?
12. Six months after meeting Neil, what does Daniel do?
(a) Leaves him.
(b) Goes to work for him.
(c) Tells his parents about him.
(d) Moves in with him.
13. What is Daniel's main role as a volunteer in Lithuania?
(a) Social worker.
(b) Teaching English.
(d) Math tutor.
14. How has love changed Daniel?
(a) He has learned that he can never live alone again.
(b) It has made him aware of jealousy and other bad feelings.
(c) He is more dependent upon others.
(d) It has made him more open to others and the world around him.
15. Daniel sees a tarakona in his kitchen. What is that?
(a) A cockroach.
(b) A mouse.
(c) A grasshopper.
(d) An ant.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Kim Peek?
2. What job does Daniel interview for and not receive?
3. What does the National Autistic Society in England suggest as a fairer alternative to a job interview for autistic people?
4. What dream did Daniel have the night before his public recitation of pi?
5. How long is Daniel's challenge in Iceland reduced in time?
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)