|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Kim Peek?
(a) The producer of the documentary being made about Daniel.
(b) The real-life inspiration behind the Rain Man character.
(c) The helpful flight attendant Daniel met on the plane.
(d) The main scientist working on savant syndrome.
2. How did Neil help Daniel memorize the pi digits?
(a) He had Daniel repeat them after him.
(b) He researched the digits.
(c) He rented a separate apartment for him to study in.
(d) He printed large strings of them on paper.
3. Whose photo does Daniel keep on the dresser in his kitchen?
(a) His nephew's.
(b) His mother's.
(c) His brother's.
4. Who becomes Daniel's closest friend in Lithuania?
5. Why is learning new languages easier if you already know more than one?
(a) All languages have the same syntax rules.
(b) Your brain is in a receptive mode.
(c) Each language is a separate color in your mind.
(d) Languages belong to "families" of related, similar languages.
6. When Daniel has an interview with the Voluntary Services Overseas organization, what is his main goal in doing so?
(a) He is not sure.
(b) Spreading Christianity.
(c) Becoming more independent.
(d) To avoid going to university.
7. Why does Daniel's brother, Steven, require a lot of help from his family?
(a) He has a rare disease.
(b) He is severely autistic.
(c) He has leukemia.
(d) He has Asperger's Syndrome.
8. How many digits of pi was Daniel able to recite to beat the record?
9. Who meets Daniel at the airport on his return trip to London?
10. Some scientists believe that metaphors may be the result of:
(a) Creative visual/spatial language.
(b) Synesthestic experiences and linguistic creativity.
(c) Higher level thinking in poets.
(d) Phonemic inflections of word sounds.
11. Six months after meeting Neil, what does Daniel do?
(a) Tells his parents about him.
(b) Leaves him.
(c) Goes to work for him.
(d) Moves in with him.
12. Why does Daniel say people are surprised when he tells them he is a Christian?
(a) His thought process is too logical.
(b) He was not brought up Christian.
(c) They believe being autistic makes abstract thought too difficult.
(d) He dislikes being with too many other people.
13. What is amazing about the way in which Kim Peek can read a book and memorize it?
(a) He reads from the bottom up.
(b) He reads two pages simultaneously, one with each eye.
(c) He reads only the middle sections.
(d) He can skim through a page in thirty seconds.
14. How was Daniel's verbal practice of pi recitation frustrating for him?
(a) He did not like speaking out loud.
(b) The digits were long and his voice grew tired.
(c) The numbers are visual to him and recitation is verbal.
(d) Any noises slowed him down.
15. What is Daniel's favorite rock group?
(a) Death Cab for Cutie.
(b) The Beatles.
(c) Red Hot Chili Peppers.
(d) The Fray.
Short Answer Questions
1. What method do many pi enthusiasts use to memorize pi's infinite string of digits?
2. In what city did Daniel meet with Kim Peek?
3. How did Daniel have to prove that he had learned Icelandic in four days?
4. How many hours did it take Daniel to publicly recite pi?
5. What happens to Jay in 2004?
This section contains 586 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)