|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Daniel meet his partner, Neil?
(b) At a party.
(c) Through a newspaper ad.
(d) In school.
2. Why doesn't Daniel take notes during his training?
(a) He loses his pen.
(b) He cannot understand much of it.
(c) He does take notes.
(d) He can remember everything.
3. What does the National Autistic Society in England suggest as a fairer alternative to a job interview for autistic people?
(a) Good references.
(b) A work trial.
(c) A résumé.
(d) A telephone call.
4. What is Daniel's main role as a volunteer in Lithuania?
(a) Social worker.
(b) Teaching English.
(c) Math tutor.
5. What dream did Daniel have the night before his public recitation of pi?
(a) There were too many people watching him at the recitation.
(b) He was walking among his pi number landscapes.
(c) He lost his concentration during the recitation.
(d) He was lost walking in Oxford.
6. How did the scientists testing Daniel in California know that he realized their string of pi digits was incorrect?
(a) He had a physiological response when looking at it.
(b) He put his head down and withdrew from them.
(c) He screamed that they had it wrong.
(d) They were not aware of it.
7. How do Neil and Daniel try to encourage their cat, Jay, to learn social skills and become more approachable?
(a) They send Jay to a pet camp.
(b) They buy a kitten.
(c) They get a puppy.
(d) They hire a trainer.
8. How has love changed Daniel?
(a) He has learned that he can never live alone again.
(b) It has made him more open to others and the world around him.
(c) He is more dependent upon others.
(d) It has made him aware of jealousy and other bad feelings.
9. In Chapter 8, Daniel mentions one social situation that caused him great anxiety. What was that?
(a) Someone is smoking in the restaurant he is eating in with Neil .
(b) Neil's parents come to visit.
(c) Neil drops some silverware at home during a dinner party.
(d) A party at Ian's house becomes too crowded.
10. Daniel sees a tarakona in his kitchen. What is that?
(a) A grasshopper.
(b) An ant.
(c) A cockroach.
(d) A mouse.
11. Why does Daniel let Neil shave his face for him?
(a) He cannot hold a razor comfortably in hands.
(b) He cannot be trusted with a razor.
(c) He finds the sensations too irritating to do it comfortably himself.
(d) He would otherwise grow a very long beard.
12. What is the Feynman point in pi?
(a) The decimal places of 999999.
(b) It is pi to 707 decimal points.
(c) It is the last string of digits in pi.
(d) Where the digit 9 repeats itself eleven times, with other numbers in between.
13. Who is Kim Peek?
(a) The producer of the documentary being made about Daniel.
(b) The real-life inspiration behind the Rain Man character.
(c) The helpful flight attendant Daniel met on the plane.
(d) The main scientist working on savant syndrome.
14. Why is learning new languages easier if you already know more than one?
(a) Each language is a separate color in your mind.
(b) Your brain is in a receptive mode.
(c) All languages have the same syntax rules.
(d) Languages belong to "families" of related, similar languages.
15. What was the toughest part of the challenge to learn Icelandic for Daniel?
(a) The erratic language.
(b) The syntax.
(c) The time pressure.
(d) The long words.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Daniel feel about having met with Kim Peek?
2. Who meets Daniel at the airport on his return trip to London?
3. What is the documentary about Daniel titled?
4. Who becomes Daniel's closest friend in Lithuania?
5. What caused Daniel to be interested in learning Spanish?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)