Final Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the Feynman point in pi?
(a) It is the last string of digits in pi.
(b) Where the digit 9 repeats itself eleven times, with other numbers in between.
(c) The decimal places of 999999.
(d) It is pi to 707 decimal points.
2. How was Daniel's verbal practice of pi recitation frustrating for him?
(a) The numbers are visual to him and recitation is verbal.
(b) He did not like speaking out loud.
(c) The digits were long and his voice grew tired.
(d) Any noises slowed him down.
3. When Daniel has an interview with the Voluntary Services Overseas organization, what is his main goal in doing so?
(a) He is not sure.
(b) Becoming more independent.
(c) To avoid going to university.
(d) Spreading Christianity.
4. Why did Daniel decide to publicly recite as many digits in the number pi as he could to beat a record?
(a) For a documentary he was making.
(b) To raise money for autism research.
(c) To raise money for the National Society for Epilepsy.
(d) To impress Neil.
5. Why does Daniel's brother, Steven, require a lot of help from his family?
(a) He has Asperger's Syndrome.
(b) He has leukemia.
(c) He is severely autistic.
(d) He has a rare disease.
6. How did Daniel have to prove that he had learned Icelandic in four days?
(a) Speak Icelandic on a televised show.
(b) Make a public speech on the radio.
(c) Converse only in Icelandic for an entire day.
(d) Teach that language to English-speaking people.
7. What dream did Daniel have the night before his public recitation of pi?
(a) He was lost walking in Oxford.
(b) He lost his concentration during the recitation.
(c) There were too many people watching him at the recitation.
(d) He was walking among his pi number landscapes.
8. What types of words does Daniel find most difficult?
(d) Abstract words.
9. Why are nouns Daniel's favorite parts of speech?
(a) The tense does not change.
(b) They have a mathematical element.
(c) They are the easiest words to learn.
(d) They are easiest for him to visualize.
10. Six months after meeting Neil, what does Daniel do?
(a) Goes to work for him.
(b) Leaves him.
(c) Moves in with him.
(d) Tells his parents about him.
11. How does Daniel feel about having met with Kim Peek?
(a) It is depressing that Kim cannot care for himself.
(b) He wishes Kim lived in England.
(c) It is one of the happiest moments of his life.
(d) He is upset that Kim cannot converse better with him.
12. How does Daniel best learn new languages?
(a) By playing Scrabble with the foreign letters.
(b) From watching television.
(d) By listening to it spoken.
13. In what experiment did Daniel participate with Dr. Gary Morgan in 2005?
(a) Learning British sign language.
(b) Emotional language.
(c) Synesthetic connections.
(d) Reacting to bird song.
14. Why did Daniel have mixed feelings about the documentary producers filming him in Las Vegas?
(a) He felt it would be gaudy and tacky there.
(b) He did want to trivialize his abilities.
(c) It was too hot for him there.
(d) He did not like large crowds.
15. Who is Kim Peek?
(a) The real-life inspiration behind the Rain Man character.
(b) The main scientist working on savant syndrome.
(c) The producer of the documentary being made about Daniel.
(d) The helpful flight attendant Daniel met on the plane.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Daniel view a sequence of numbers in his head?
2. How does Daniel meet his partner, Neil?
3. What does Kim Peek's father, Fran, tell Daniel to say to Kim upon meeting him?
4. Professor Ramachandran theorizes that language emerged:
5. Who meets Daniel at the airport on his return trip to London?
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)