|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who meets Daniel at the airport on his return trip to London?
2. In Chapter 8, Daniel mentions one social situation that caused him great anxiety. What was that?
(a) A party at Ian's house becomes too crowded.
(b) Neil's parents come to visit.
(c) Neil drops some silverware at home during a dinner party.
(d) Someone is smoking in the restaurant he is eating in with Neil .
3. What is Daniel's main role as a volunteer in Lithuania?
(a) Social worker.
(b) Math tutor.
(c) Teaching English.
4. How does Daniel view a sequence of numbers in his head?
(a) He sees colors, shapes, and textures that form landscapes.
(b) He imagines the numbers as food and beach pebbles.
(c) He hears the numbers and sees lights that form a portrait.
(d) He sees numbers and their shapes, leaving out the annoying ones.
5. What is Daniel's favorite rock group?
(a) Death Cab for Cutie.
(b) The Fray.
(c) Red Hot Chili Peppers.
(d) The Beatles.
6. Who is Kim Peek?
(a) The helpful flight attendant Daniel met on the plane.
(b) The producer of the documentary being made about Daniel.
(c) The real-life inspiration behind the Rain Man character.
(d) The main scientist working on savant syndrome.
7. Why is learning new languages easier if you already know more than one?
(a) All languages have the same syntax rules.
(b) Languages belong to "families" of related, similar languages.
(c) Each language is a separate color in your mind.
(d) Your brain is in a receptive mode.
8. How many hours did it take Daniel to publicly recite pi?
9. What was the toughest part of the challenge to learn Icelandic for Daniel?
(a) The time pressure.
(b) The syntax.
(c) The long words.
(d) The erratic language.
10. Why did Daniel have mixed feelings about the documentary producers filming him in Las Vegas?
(a) He felt it would be gaudy and tacky there.
(b) He did not like large crowds.
(c) It was too hot for him there.
(d) He did want to trivialize his abilities.
11. Whose photo does Daniel keep on the dresser in his kitchen?
(b) His brother's.
(c) His nephew's.
(d) His mother's.
12. What sort of questions does Daniel discover Kim Peek likes to be asked most of all?
(b) Film history.
(c) Scientific data.
(d) Historical dates and figures.
13. In what city did Daniel meet with Kim Peek?
(a) Salt Lake City.
(b) New York.
(c) San Diego.
14. What is the last challenge the documentary makers have for Daniel?
(a) To recite pi publicly.
(b) To learn a new language in one week.
(c) To begin a language website.
(d) To return to Lithuania and speak about himself.
15. Why did Daniel decide to publicly recite as many digits in the number pi as he could to beat a record?
(a) To raise money for autism research.
(b) For a documentary he was making.
(c) To impress Neil.
(d) To raise money for the National Society for Epilepsy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of language does Daniel find most confusing because of his Asperger's?
2. In what experiment did Daniel participate with Dr. Gary Morgan in 2005?
3. To what Lithuanian city was Daniel assigned to volunteer?
4. Why are nouns Daniel's favorite parts of speech?
5. What does Kim Peek's father, Fran, tell Daniel to say to Kim upon meeting him?
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)