|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the name "pi" come from?
(a) The word for "irrational number" in Russian.
(b) The Greek mathematician, Archimedes.
(c) The sixteenth letter of the Greek alphabet.
(d) The Museum of the History of Mathematics.
2. What sort of questions does Daniel discover Kim Peek likes to be asked most of all?
(a) Film history.
(c) Scientific data.
(d) Historical dates and figures.
3. What type of language does Daniel find most confusing because of his Asperger's?
(a) Foreign language.
(b) Symbolic language.
(c) Semantic language.
(d) Idiomatic language.
4. What dream did Daniel have the night before his public recitation of pi?
(a) There were too many people watching him at the recitation.
(b) He was lost walking in Oxford.
(c) He was walking among his pi number landscapes.
(d) He lost his concentration during the recitation.
5. How did Neil help Daniel memorize the pi digits?
(a) He had Daniel repeat them after him.
(b) He printed large strings of them on paper.
(c) He rented a separate apartment for him to study in.
(d) He researched the digits.
6. In Chapter 8, Daniel mentions one social situation that caused him great anxiety. What was that?
(a) Someone is smoking in the restaurant he is eating in with Neil .
(b) Neil's parents come to visit.
(c) A party at Ian's house becomes too crowded.
(d) Neil drops some silverware at home during a dinner party.
7. Who is Kim Peek?
(a) The producer of the documentary being made about Daniel.
(b) The main scientist working on savant syndrome.
(c) The real-life inspiration behind the Rain Man character.
(d) The helpful flight attendant Daniel met on the plane.
8. Where is Daniel assigned to go as a volunteer?
(a) Saudi Arabia.
9. Who did Daniel help with advice on learning Romanian?
(a) His father.
(b) Neil's mother.
(c) His friend, Ian.
(d) His Lithuanian friend, Birute.
10. What is amazing about the way in which Kim Peek can read a book and memorize it?
(a) He reads from the bottom up.
(b) He can skim through a page in thirty seconds.
(c) He reads only the middle sections.
(d) He reads two pages simultaneously, one with each eye.
11. What was the toughest part of the challenge to learn Icelandic for Daniel?
(a) The syntax.
(b) The long words.
(c) The erratic language.
(d) The time pressure.
12. What is Iceland's literacy rate?
13. How is Daniel trained for his volunteer assignment?
(a) Teamwork, lectures, and group discussion.
(b) Fun activities, foreign language lessons, and films.
(c) Film, lectures, and fieldwork.
14. What is the value of pi?
(d) 3 1/7
15. What is the last challenge the documentary makers have for Daniel?
(a) To learn a new language in one week.
(b) To return to Lithuania and speak about himself.
(c) To recite pi publicly.
(d) To begin a language website.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are nouns Daniel's favorite parts of speech?
2. How was Daniel's verbal practice of pi recitation frustrating for him?
3. What conversational tactic has Daniel used over the years that does not work well within his relationship with Neil?
4. How did Daniel's family react to Brainman when it was shown in Britain?
5. How does Daniel feel about having met with Kim Peek?
This section contains 608 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)