|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Daniel's apartment like in the new country where he volunteers?
(b) Newly built.
2. Where does the name "pi" come from?
(a) The word for "irrational number" in Russian.
(b) The Museum of the History of Mathematics.
(c) The Greek mathematician, Archimedes.
(d) The sixteenth letter of the Greek alphabet.
3. What is amazing about the way in which Kim Peek can read a book and memorize it?
(a) He reads from the bottom up.
(b) He can skim through a page in thirty seconds.
(c) He reads two pages simultaneously, one with each eye.
(d) He reads only the middle sections.
4. How did the scientists testing Daniel in California know that he realized their string of pi digits was incorrect?
(a) He had a physiological response when looking at it.
(b) He put his head down and withdrew from them.
(c) He screamed that they had it wrong.
(d) They were not aware of it.
5. Daniel sees a tarakona in his kitchen. What is that?
(a) A cockroach.
(b) A mouse.
(c) An ant.
(d) A grasshopper.
6. How does Daniel view a sequence of numbers in his head?
(a) He hears the numbers and sees lights that form a portrait.
(b) He imagines the numbers as food and beach pebbles.
(c) He sees numbers and their shapes, leaving out the annoying ones.
(d) He sees colors, shapes, and textures that form landscapes.
7. What was the toughest part of the challenge to learn Icelandic for Daniel?
(a) The erratic language.
(b) The time pressure.
(c) The long words.
(d) The syntax.
8. Why is learning new languages easier if you already know more than one?
(a) All languages have the same syntax rules.
(b) Each language is a separate color in your mind.
(c) Languages belong to "families" of related, similar languages.
(d) Your brain is in a receptive mode.
9. What is Daniel's favorite rock group?
(a) The Beatles.
(b) The Fray.
(c) Death Cab for Cutie.
(d) Red Hot Chili Peppers.
10. What types of words does Daniel find most difficult?
(b) Abstract words.
11. How does Daniel feel about having met with Kim Peek?
(a) He is upset that Kim cannot converse better with him.
(b) He wishes Kim lived in England.
(c) It is one of the happiest moments of his life.
(d) It is depressing that Kim cannot care for himself.
12. In Chapter 8, Daniel mentions one social situation that caused him great anxiety. What was that?
(a) Neil drops some silverware at home during a dinner party.
(b) A party at Ian's house becomes too crowded.
(c) Someone is smoking in the restaurant he is eating in with Neil .
(d) Neil's parents come to visit.
13. Who is Daniel's landlord in his Lithuanian apartment building?
14. What is the value of pi?
(b) 3 1/7
15. Why does Daniel let Neil shave his face for him?
(a) He would otherwise grow a very long beard.
(b) He cannot hold a razor comfortably in hands.
(c) He cannot be trusted with a razor.
(d) He finds the sensations too irritating to do it comfortably himself.
Short Answer Questions
1. What caused Daniel to be interested in learning Spanish?
2. Why are nouns Daniel's favorite parts of speech?
3. What method do many pi enthusiasts use to memorize pi's infinite string of digits?
4. What is the last challenge the documentary makers have for Daniel?
5. Why doesn't Daniel take notes during his training?
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)