|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many hours did it take Daniel to publicly recite pi?
2. How does Daniel meet his partner, Neil?
(a) Through a newspaper ad.
(c) In school.
(d) At a party.
3. What method do many pi enthusiasts use to memorize pi's infinite string of digits?
(a) Sentences using words with the number of letters in each successive pi digit.
(b) Mathematical strings which always equate to a number of pi digits.
(c) A method incorporating language and math.
(d) Memorization of the numbers by recitation only.
4. When Daniel is interrupted during the interview with a question, what is his first reaction?
(b) He plugs up his ears.
5. How long is Daniel's challenge in Iceland reduced in time?
(a) To six days.
(b) It is still one week.
(c) To four days.
(d) To one day.
6. Where is Daniel assigned to go as a volunteer?
(c) Saudi Arabia.
7. What is Iceland's literacy rate?
8. What is the name of the city in Iceland that Daniel must go to?
9. How did Daniel have to prove that he had learned Icelandic in four days?
(a) Speak Icelandic on a televised show.
(b) Converse only in Icelandic for an entire day.
(c) Make a public speech on the radio.
(d) Teach that language to English-speaking people.
10. What skill did Professor Ramachandran first ask Daniel to demonstrate for him and his team?
(a) Recitation of pi.
(b) Calculations in his head.
(c) Calendar calculations.
(d) Conversational skills.
11. Who becomes Daniel's closest friend in Lithuania?
12. How do Neil and Daniel try to encourage their cat, Jay, to learn social skills and become more approachable?
(a) They buy a kitten.
(b) They send Jay to a pet camp.
(c) They get a puppy.
(d) They hire a trainer.
13. Who meets Daniel at the airport on his return trip to London?
14. How has love changed Daniel?
(a) He is more dependent upon others.
(b) It has made him aware of jealousy and other bad feelings.
(c) It has made him more open to others and the world around him.
(d) He has learned that he can never live alone again.
15. What job does Daniel interview for and not receive?
(a) A library position.
(b) An English tutor.
(c) A translator.
(d) A social worker.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kim Peek's father, Fran, tell Daniel to say to Kim upon meeting him?
2. How does Daniel view a sequence of numbers in his head?
3. Why doesn't Daniel take notes during his training?
4. Whose photo does Daniel keep on the dresser in his kitchen?
5. How is Daniel trained for his volunteer assignment?
This section contains 522 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)