|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Kylie realize the ghost soldier is her father?
2. What does Kylie think Fredricka will hold over Kylie's head?
3. To what does Kylie's mother agree?
4. What does the ghost soldier say after briefly disappering?
5. What does Holiday announce about Shadow Falls Camp Academy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What new development does Holiday announce about the camp?
2. What does Kylie want to do for Della and what is Della's response?
3. Why does Kylie go and tell Holiday about Trey's visit?
4. What does Kylie ask her mother in an email?
5. How does Kylie exasperate Holiday?
6. What does Kylie think the soldier in her vision wants from Kylie?
7. Who does Della bring to Kylie's room and how did she find the person?
8. What does Kylie look for when she sees her mother and what are Kylie's conclusions?
9. Why does Daniel Brighten disappear, and how does he reassure Kylie?
10. What happens during the fight at the refuge and who breaks it up?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Born at Midnight belongs to the fantasy genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the fantasy genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a fantasy and a historical novel or mystery?
Essay Topic 2
"Born at Midnight" is one book in a series of novels involving Kylie and her powers. Discuss the following.
1. What are a couple advantages of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Use examples.
2. What are a couple disadvantages of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Use examples.
3. Do you prefer to read a standalone book, or a series of books with the same main characters? Explain your response.
4. Do you think it is easier or more difficult (or about the same) to write a standalone book versus one in a series? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in "Born at Midnight". Are these universal symbols? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other symbols that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Hunter chooses the symbols he does?
2. Choose two important metaphors and trace and analyze their appearance in the novel. Are these universal metaphors? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other metaphors that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Hunter chooses the metaphors she does?
3. Discuss Hunter's use (or lack ) of literary device (such as foreshadowing, cliffhangers, deux ex machina, etc.), and how they add or detract from the story. Does Hunter use too many or too little literary techniques? State which of the five major elements of fiction the literary device is related to (style, character, plot, setting, theme).
This section contains 928 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)