|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Holiday say when Kylie asks her what species Kylie is?
2. Who does Kylie call Derek?
3. What does Kylie realize Lucas is doing?
4. What does Kylie ask the ghost soldier?
5. What does Holiday tell Kylie about Lucas' parents?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Kylie calls her father about parents' day?
2. What does Kylie think the soldier in her vision wants from Kylie?
3. Why can't Kylie have a blood test to determine if she is supernatural?
4. What new development does Holiday announce about the camp?
5. What happens when Trey shows up where Kylie and Lucas are in the woods?
6. What does Kylie want to do for Della and what is Della's response?
7. What does Kylie witness when in the body of the ghost soldier?
8. Why does Kylie go and tell Holiday about Trey's visit?
9. How does Kylie explain why she doubts being supernatural?
10. What happens during the fight at the refuge and who breaks it up?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot and their definition? Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of "Born at Midnight", identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (Exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements in "Born at Midnight". (The subplots may not contain every element of a major plot). Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not. Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of growth in "Born at Midnight". Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with growth? Why? What are some symbols of growth? Symbols of rigidity? What characters seem rigid?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of courage in "Born at Midnight". Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Which characters seem to possess courage? Why? How do some of the characters demonstrate courage?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of tolerance and diversity in "Born at Midnight". How does the diversity in the book compare to the diversity in the real world? How do the many diverse characters and species handle their differences? What can be learned from the way characters who are different species interact in "Born at Midnight"?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in "Born at Midnight".
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of "Born at Midnight". How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of "Born at Midnight". How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
This section contains 967 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)