|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Kylie when she wakes?
2. What has joined the fight at the refuge?
3. What does Derek announce after Burnett arrives?
4. What does Burnett have when he gets to Kylie's cabin?
5. Why do all the campers try to take the blame for the fight?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Kylie witness when in the body of the ghost soldier?
2. What does Kylie think the soldier in her vision wants from Kylie?
3. What does Kylie ask her mother in an email?
4. What does Daniel Brighton tell Kylie about his death and what does Kylie ask about her grandmother?
5. Why does Derek go back into Kylie's room after Burnett arrives?
6. What does Kylie observe about her father when she is in town and what does she realize from this?
7. Who does Della bring to Kylie's room and how did she find the person?
8. What happens at first when Kylie discovers a lion on her bed?
9. What does Kylie find out about her biological father?
10. What advice does Kylie give Helen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Characters are an integral and important part of almost all novels. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast the characters of Kylie and Miranda. How are they similar? How are they different? Is there a flaw in each of their personalities? Be specific and give examples.
2. Compare/contrast the characters of Derek and Lucas. How do they seem different? Which do you like more? Why? Which one seems more of a well-rounded character?
3. Thoroughly analyze how three of the secondary characters in "Born at Midnight" help drive the plot and what their contribution is to the storyline. Are any of the secondary characters unnecessary? Indispensable? Which of the secondary characters are likable? Which are either unlikable or even despicable? Be specific and give examples.
Essay Topic 2
As in many fantasy novels, magic or super powers are an inherent part of a few of the characters in a novel. Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the use of supernatural powers in "Born at Midnight". Who possesses supernatural powers as an inherent aspect of their nature? How does the inequality between those who have supernatural powers and those who do not impact "Born at Midnight"?
2. Why do you think magic or super powers exist in so many fantasy novels? Do you think a novel can be "fantasy" and there be no magic or super powers as a part of the storyline? Why or why not.
3. Would you desire to possess the ability to use magic or have a super power if there were such a talent in our world? Why or why not? What would be the advantages and disadvantages of possessing such an ability?
Essay Topic 3
Kylie continues to grasp at straws to explain alternatives to her supernatural powers. Holiday says one or the other of Kylie's parents is probably supernatural in order for Kylie to have the power, but says that in rare situations the power might skip an entire generation. Kylie doesn't believe any of her grandparents had any supernatural powers either, but she admits she can't be sure. Another possibility is that she has either a brain tumor or is simply "loony." It's a statement of how desperately Kylie wants to be normal that she's hoping she is either crazy or has a brain tumor in order to explain her power.
1. Discuss reasons someone like Kylie might try to deny she has supernatural powers. Use examples from your own life and "Born at Midnight" to support your answer.
2. Define the psychological defense mechanism known as denial and explain why it might be harmful and helpful to Kylie. Use examples from your own life and the text to support your answer.
3. Discuss the foreshadowing in the above paragraph. Explain why it might invoke suspense and how it might enhance the readers' enjoyment of "Born at Midnight". Use examples from your own life and "Born at Midnight" to support your answer.
This section contains 1,112 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)