|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose body is Kylie inhabiting one night?
2. For what does Lucas apologize to Kylie?
3. What does Mr. Galen set forth as a condition for marriage to Kylie's mother?
4. What does Lucas insist upon immediately after meeting Trey?
5. What does Kylie decide to put off reading for a while?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Derek go back into Kylie's room after Burnett arrives?
2. What happens at first when Kylie discovers a lion on her bed?
3. Why can't Kylie have a blood test to determine if she is supernatural?
4. What are the circumstances that lead to Kylie's first "adult" kiss?
5. What happens when Trey shows up where Kylie and Lucas are in the woods?
6. What new development does Holiday announce about the camp?
7. What happens when Kylie calls her father about parents' day?
8. What does Kylie want to do for Della and what is Della's response?
9. Why does Kylie stand up to Holiday?
10. How does Kylie explain why she doubts being supernatural?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sometimes a book has more of a character-driven plot rather than action driven, and sometimes it is the other way. Some books seem to balance the two. Discuss the following:
1. What do you think it means to say that a plot is character driven? Action driven?
2. How do you think a plot differs if it is character driven versus action driven?
3. Which type of plot do you find more interesting? Why?
4. Do you think it is possible to have a plot where action and character development share equal time? Why or why not.
5. What type of plot do you think "Born at Midnight" is? Explain your response.
Essay Topic 2
Characters are an integral and important part of almost all novels. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast the characters of Kylie and Miranda. How are they similar? How are they different? Is there a flaw in each of their personalities? Be specific and give examples.
2. Compare/contrast the characters of Derek and Lucas. How do they seem different? Which do you like more? Why? Which one seems more of a well-rounded character?
3. Thoroughly analyze how three of the secondary characters in "Born at Midnight" help drive the plot and what their contribution is to the storyline. Are any of the secondary characters unnecessary? Indispensable? Which of the secondary characters are likable? Which are either unlikable or even despicable? Be specific and give examples.
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in "Born at Midnight". Are these universal symbols? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other symbols that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Hunter chooses the symbols he does?
2. Choose two important metaphors and trace and analyze their appearance in the novel. Are these universal metaphors? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other metaphors that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Hunter chooses the metaphors she does?
3. Discuss Hunter's use (or lack ) of literary device (such as foreshadowing, cliffhangers, deux ex machina, etc.), and how they add or detract from the story. Does Hunter use too many or too little literary techniques? State which of the five major elements of fiction the literary device is related to (style, character, plot, setting, theme).
This section contains 1,025 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)