|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who attacks Derek and Kylie at the refuge?
2. What book does Kylie buy at the bookstore?
3. Whose body is Kylie inhabiting one night?
4. Who does Kylie defend to Holiday?
5. What does Derek do despite Kylie telling him not to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Trey shows up where Kylie and Lucas are in the woods?
2. Who does Della bring to Kylie's room and how did she find the person?
3. What happens at first when Kylie discovers a lion on her bed?
4. What does Kylie think the soldier in her vision wants from Kylie?
5. What does Daniel Brighton tell Kylie about his death and what does Kylie ask about her grandmother?
6. Where does Kylie agree to go with Lucas?
7. What does Lucas give Kylie?
8. What does Kylie find out about her biological father?
9. How does Kylie explain why she doubts being supernatural?
10. What advice does Kylie give Helen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As Kylie begins to accept her situation, it occurs to her that she'll have to lie to almost everyone that she knows. She knows she won't be able to tell her friends she has supernatural powers or that she knows people who are witches and vampires. Kylie is frightened by the idea that she's very near a great many supernaturals, including vampires. She is particularly disturbed by the idea of vampires drinking blood and that will later be something she has to overcome when she becomes friends with a vampire.
1. Discuss the reasons Kylie is beginning to accept her situation as she is getting to know the other campers at Shadow Falls. Use examples from your own life and "Born at Midnight" to support your answer.
2. Discuss the ways in which Kylie's life will change once she accepts her supernatural powers. Use examples from your own life and "Born at Midnight" to support your answer.
3. Do you think it is reasonable for Kylie to feel frightened around some of the other campers? Why or why not? Use examples from your own life and the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Many novels, and perhaps a majority of novels, ends on a happy note. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think many (most?) people want what they perceive as a happy or good ending to a novel? Explain your opinion. Do you? Why or why not?
2. What are three reasons to read fiction? Discuss each one in light of "Born at Midnight" and whether or not it fulfills all three, two or one of the reasons you mention. Give examples as to why "Born at Midnight" is or is not successful in fulfilling the reasons you discuss.
3. Do you think reading solely for entertainment is as good a reason to read as any other? Why or why not? Can any work of fiction or non-fiction, no matter how poorly written, enlighten, teach, stimulate thought? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
"Born at Midnight" is one book in a series of novels involving Kylie and her powers. Discuss the following.
1. What are a couple advantages of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Use examples.
2. What are a couple disadvantages of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Use examples.
3. Do you prefer to read a standalone book, or a series of books with the same main characters? Explain your response.
4. Do you think it is easier or more difficult (or about the same) to write a standalone book versus one in a series? Explain your answer.
This section contains 981 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)