|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who comes to Kylie's room shortly after the ghost soldier disappears and reappears?
2. Who does Kylie see with her father in town?
3. Why do all the campers try to take the blame for the fight?
4. How does Della initially respond after Kylie says she wants to donate blood to Della?
5. Why does Kylie study over her mother on parents' day?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Daniel Brighten disappear, and how does he reassure Kylie?
2. What does Daniel Brighton tell Kylie about his death and what does Kylie ask about her grandmother?
3. What does Kylie think the soldier in her vision wants from Kylie?
4. What does Kylie want to do for Della and what is Della's response?
5. What does Kylie observe about her father when she is in town and what does she realize from this?
6. What new development does Holiday announce about the camp?
7. Why does Kylie go and tell Holiday about Trey's visit?
8. What does Kylie ask her mother in an email?
9. What are the circumstances that lead to Kylie's first "adult" kiss?
10. How does Kylie explain why she doubts being supernatural?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Characters are an integral and important part of almost all novels. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast the characters of Kylie and Miranda. How are they similar? How are they different? Is there a flaw in each of their personalities? Be specific and give examples.
2. Compare/contrast the characters of Derek and Lucas. How do they seem different? Which do you like more? Why? Which one seems more of a well-rounded character?
3. Thoroughly analyze how three of the secondary characters in "Born at Midnight" help drive the plot and what their contribution is to the storyline. Are any of the secondary characters unnecessary? Indispensable? Which of the secondary characters are likable? Which are either unlikable or even despicable? Be specific and give examples.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in "Born at Midnight".
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of "Born at Midnight". How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of "Born at Midnight". How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss "Born at Midnight" based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if it is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different if it is written for adults versus young adults? Why or why not? Would most adults consider "Born at Midnight" a successful novel? What about young teens?
This section contains 866 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)