|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Helen?
2. What does Holiday say about Perry Gomez in front of Kylie?
3. What does Kylie learn about the men in suits?
4. How does Kylie avoid talking to her roommates?
5. Who was first paired with Kylie for the meet-your-camp-mate hour?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who are the men and suits and what do they have to do with the camp?
2. How did Helen help her sister?
3. What keeps Kylie from questioning the dead soldier?
4. How does the party end and where does Kylie go from the party?
5. Describe Kylie's vision of the dead soldier the night she meets the "kitten."
6. What does Kylie see outside her house and what is her response?
7. Why do the campers wiggle their eyebrows and what do they believe about Kylie concerning communicating with them?
8. What do Miranda and Della threaten to do to each other?
9. Why are members of FRU curious about Kylie?
10. What do Kylie and Della talk about as they are walking to the group campfire?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss "Born at Midnight" based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if it is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different if it is written for adults versus young adults? Why or why not? Would most adults consider "Born at Midnight" a successful novel? What about young teens?
Essay Topic 2
Born at Midnight belongs to the fantasy genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the fantasy genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a fantasy and a historical novel or mystery?
Essay Topic 3
As Kylie begins to accept her situation, it occurs to her that she'll have to lie to almost everyone that she knows. She knows she won't be able to tell her friends she has supernatural powers or that she knows people who are witches and vampires. Kylie is frightened by the idea that she's very near a great many supernaturals, including vampires. She is particularly disturbed by the idea of vampires drinking blood and that will later be something she has to overcome when she becomes friends with a vampire.
1. Discuss the reasons Kylie is beginning to accept her situation as she is getting to know the other campers at Shadow Falls. Use examples from your own life and "Born at Midnight" to support your answer.
2. Discuss the ways in which Kylie's life will change once she accepts her supernatural powers. Use examples from your own life and "Born at Midnight" to support your answer.
3. Do you think it is reasonable for Kylie to feel frightened around some of the other campers? Why or why not? Use examples from your own life and the text to support your answer.
This section contains 954 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)