|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Chan think the camp officials are trying to do to Della?
2. What does Miranda say she's been eating for years?
3. How did Kylie first meet Lucas?
4. How do the campers interrupt Kylie so far?
5. What is Miranda holding as she is introducing herself to Kylie?
Short Essay Questions
1. What keeps Kylie from questioning the dead soldier?
2. What is Kylie's family situation at the opening to the novel?
3. What does Kylie ask Helen to do and what is the result?
4. Why are members of FRU curious about Kylie?
5. Who are the men and suits and what do they have to do with the camp?
6. What does Kylie's father ask her mother for and what has happened to the objects?
7. What happens in Kylie's interview with the FRU men?
8. What happens in Holiday's office when Perry comes in and Kylie is there?
9. Why does Lucas confront Derek?
10. What does Kylie see outside her house and what is her response?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Over the course of "Born at Midnight", Kylie grows as a person in both complexity and understanding. "Born at Midnight" might be considered a slice of Kylie's larger story of her "coming of age." It might be said that it is a "bildungsroman" of Kylie Galen. Discuss the following:
1. Define Bildungsroman, or "Coming of Age," and give several examples from literature you have read.
2. Trace and analyze the character of Kylie as she changes from having little knowledge of herself or the world to a wiser, young woman. What are the significant events that change Kylie?
3. After thoroughly analyzing Kylie's growth throughout Born at Midnight, do you think "Born at Midnight" could be considered Kylie's Coming of Age story? Why or why not?
4. Are there any other characters in "Born at Midnight" who go through a Coming of Age experience? Who? Why do you think so?
Essay Topic 2
Born at Midnight belongs to the fantasy genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the fantasy genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a fantasy and a historical novel or mystery?
Essay Topic 3
Many readers of fiction place themselves in the position of one character, wondering if they would do the same thing as that character. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think one of the values of literature is to serve as a reflection of oneself? Why or why not?
2. Socrates said "Know thyself." How can reading a book such as "Born at Midnight" help a reader to know him/herself? Do you find yourself reflecting on your own character and abilities when reading Born at Midnight? Why or why not. Use examples from "Born at Midnight" and your own life to support your answer.
3. Choose one specific incident in "Born at Midnight" to discuss and compare one of the characters' response to how you think you would respond.
This section contains 954 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)