|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Della offer to do with Kylie?
2. How do supernaturals "read" each other?
3. What does Lucas Parker indicate when he sees Kylie and Della?
4. What does Kylie suggest Perry do?
5. What does Holiday ask about Kylie's birth?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Kylie end up at the camp for "troubled" teens?
2. Describe Kylie's vision of the dead soldier the night she meets the "kitten."
3. What is Kylie doing on the evening her father departed?
4. How does the party end and where does Kylie go from the party?
5. Why are members of FRU curious about Kylie?
6. What does Derek do when a water moccasin comes near Kylie?
7. What does Derek say to Kylie about her and Lucas?
8. Why does Kylie feel embarrassed about cuddling with a kitten?
9. What happens in Holiday's office when Perry comes in and Kylie is there?
10. Who does Kylie see that she knows from an younger age and what did she think of him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Over the course of "Born at Midnight", Kylie grows as a person in both complexity and understanding. "Born at Midnight" might be considered a slice of Kylie's larger story of her "coming of age." It might be said that it is a "bildungsroman" of Kylie Galen. Discuss the following:
1. Define Bildungsroman, or "Coming of Age," and give several examples from literature you have read.
2. Trace and analyze the character of Kylie as she changes from having little knowledge of herself or the world to a wiser, young woman. What are the significant events that change Kylie?
3. After thoroughly analyzing Kylie's growth throughout Born at Midnight, do you think "Born at Midnight" could be considered Kylie's Coming of Age story? Why or why not?
4. Are there any other characters in "Born at Midnight" who go through a Coming of Age experience? Who? Why do you think so?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of growth in "Born at Midnight". Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with growth? Why? What are some symbols of growth? Symbols of rigidity? What characters seem rigid?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of courage in "Born at Midnight". Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Which characters seem to possess courage? Why? How do some of the characters demonstrate courage?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of tolerance and diversity in "Born at Midnight". How does the diversity in the book compare to the diversity in the real world? How do the many diverse characters and species handle their differences? What can be learned from the way characters who are different species interact in "Born at Midnight"?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in "Born at Midnight". Are these universal symbols? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other symbols that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Hunter chooses the symbols he does?
2. Choose two important metaphors and trace and analyze their appearance in the novel. Are these universal metaphors? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other metaphors that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Hunter chooses the metaphors she does?
3. Discuss Hunter's use (or lack ) of literary device (such as foreshadowing, cliffhangers, deux ex machina, etc.), and how they add or detract from the story. Does Hunter use too many or too little literary techniques? State which of the five major elements of fiction the literary device is related to (style, character, plot, setting, theme).
This section contains 1,110 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)