|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lucas ask Kylie after Kylie is through with her interview?
2. Who is described as short as an elf with purple hair?
3. How do the campers interrupt Kylie so far?
4. Why is Kylie embarrassed?
5. Where is Kylie going for the summer?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Chan want Della to do, and how does he feel about Della being at the camp?
2. What happens in Holiday's office when Perry comes in and Kylie is there?
3. How did Kylie end up at the camp for "troubled" teens?
4. Why does Kylie feel embarrassed about cuddling with a kitten?
5. What does Derek say to Kylie about her and Lucas?
6. How did Helen help her sister?
7. Why does Lucas confront Derek?
8. How does Della become a vampire?
9. Who are the men and suits and what do they have to do with the camp?
10. What is Kylie doing on the evening her father departed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Often, authors will write about "what they know," and sometimes knowing a little about the author makes the books more interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Research and give a brief biographical sketch of C. C. Hunter.
2. What in Hunter's background may have helped her in writing Born at Midnight? What may have influenced the way she depicts various characters and scenes?
3. Do you think there is always some of the author's own life in his/her novels? Why or why not? Give examples.
4. What does the term "author agenda" mean?
5. Name one idea/concept you think may have been a part of the Hunter's agenda. Analyze that idea throughout the book and discuss Hunter's probable agenda concerning that idea.
6. Do you think writers who have an agenda for writing should point it out in a preface? Why or why not?
7. How often do you think fiction is written with a clear agenda in mind by the author? Explain your answer with examples.
Essay Topic 2
"Born at Midnight" is one book in a series of novels involving Kylie and her powers. Discuss the following.
1. What are a couple advantages of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Use examples.
2. What are a couple disadvantages of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Use examples.
3. Do you prefer to read a standalone book, or a series of books with the same main characters? Explain your response.
4. Do you think it is easier or more difficult (or about the same) to write a standalone book versus one in a series? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Many novels, and perhaps a majority of novels, ends on a happy note. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think many (most?) people want what they perceive as a happy or good ending to a novel? Explain your opinion. Do you? Why or why not?
2. What are three reasons to read fiction? Discuss each one in light of "Born at Midnight" and whether or not it fulfills all three, two or one of the reasons you mention. Give examples as to why "Born at Midnight" is or is not successful in fulfilling the reasons you discuss.
3. Do you think reading solely for entertainment is as good a reason to read as any other? Why or why not? Can any work of fiction or non-fiction, no matter how poorly written, enlighten, teach, stimulate thought? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,021 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)