|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kylie call her mother?
2. What does Della say about rogue vampires?
3. What does Holiday say about Kylie's psychiatrist?
4. What does Kylie suggest Perry do?
5. Why are Kylie and her mother at the YMCA parking lot?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Kylie learn about a deal Brian and Derek make and how does Kylie react to the situation?
2. How did Helen help her sister?
3. What does Chan want Della to do, and how does he feel about Della being at the camp?
4. What does Kylie observe on the bus that is taking her to camp?
5. Why do the campers wiggle their eyebrows and what do they believe about Kylie concerning communicating with them?
6. What do Miranda and Della threaten to do to each other?
7. What does Kylie's father ask her mother for and what has happened to the objects?
8. What is Kylie doing on the evening her father departed?
9. What happens when Kylie gets up to go get something to eat in the night?
10. How does Della become a vampire?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. Who is/are the protagonists of the story and why? Use examples from the text of "Born at Midnight" to support your answer.
2. Who is/are the antagonists of the story and why? Use examples from "Born at Midnight" to support your answer.
3. Which 3 secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot? Use examples from "Born at Midnight" and your own life to support your answer.
4. Are any of the characters dispensable and which ones? Why or why not? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
5. Do you think this is a character-driven plot or an action-driven plot? Explain. Use examples from the story to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in "Born at Midnight".
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of "Born at Midnight". How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of "Born at Midnight". How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
Essay Topic 3
Born at Midnight belongs to the fantasy genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the fantasy genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a fantasy and a historical novel or mystery?
This section contains 878 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)