|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the only picture Tamina has of her husband?
(a) A baby picture.
(b) She has no pictures of him.
(c) His passport photo.
(d) A picture of him when he is 12.
2. What do the poets do to the student's view of Kristyna?
(a) They cast her in a better light.
(b) Wreck it.
(c) Restore it.
(d) Undermine her.
3. How does Hubl say you can "liquidate its people"?
(a) By erasing their memory of their previous culture.
(b) By indoctrinating their children.
(c) By killing them one by one.
(d) He is not sure how to do it, just that it is necessary.
4. Who are two other people Kundera blurs the historic moments of?
(a) No others.
(b) Kafta and Svaboda.
(c) Kundera and Mirek.
(d) Mirek and Kafta.
5. How is the student when he returns to his Writer's Club?
(a) Feeling really great.
(b) Full of inspiration.
(c) Feeling rejected.
(d) Fully immersed in his litost.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kristyna ask the student to get her?
2. Why doesn't the memory of Tamina's husband torment her any longer?
3. With whom does Kristyna sometimes have an affair?
4. What does Husak desire?
5. What does litost mean?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tamina do shortly after her husband dies and what might this foreshadow?
2. Why do you think Kundera blurs historical moments?
3. What is the meaning of the word litost?
4. To what do Kristyna and the student agree and what is the outcome? What does the student's evaluation of Kristyna tell the reader?
5. What happens to Kundera's father in Part 6 and what do you think is the significance of Kundera writing about what happens to his father?
6. Who does Kristyna meet and what attracts her to this person?
7. Briefly describe a few of the most salient points about Tamina.
8. Discuss what graphomania is and how it is used in the context of this chapter.
9. How are the Czechs and litost related in Kundera's opinion?
10. Why is Tamina losing herself and why does she think the notebooks will help her situation?
This section contains 964 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)