|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What entices Kristyna?
(a) The love of acting.
(b) The physical beauty of the student.
(c) The promise of wealth.
(d) Philosophy and higher thinking.
2. Where does Voltaire invite the student?
(a) To watch a reenactment of independence day.
(b) To hear a poetry reading at a pub.
(c) A meeting of the Writer's Club.
(d) To his home for dinner.
3. What is Kristyna to the student?
(b) Like a Band-aid, soothing his ego.
(c) A good person with whom to discuss poetry and art.
(d) A potential wife.
4. What is more valuable to Kristyna than her relationship with the student?
(a) Her memories of the Club meeting.
(b) The book with the inscription.
(c) The discussions she has with the student.
(d) Meeting great minds.
5. Why does Hugo take Tamina to the zoo?
(a) To show her a new monkey species that was found.
(b) To teach her about drawing birds.
(c) To show her a new exhibit he had planned.
(d) To impress her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Tamina not doing?
2. What is the man's name who drives off with Tamina in a red sports car?
3. Where is the boat with the boy who rows?
4. What do the poets do to the student's view of Kristyna?
5. Why do the children on Tamina's team begin to win games?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Kundera's father in Part 6 and what do you think is the significance of Kundera writing about what happens to his father?
2. What is ironic about the student deceiving Kristyna and attending the Writer's Club meeting?
3. How is Tamina's situation where Raphael takes her similar to her husband's situation just before he dies?
4. What does Tamina do shortly after her husband dies and what might this foreshadow?
5. How is Kundera's father's attempt to understand Beethoven undertaken by Kundera?
6. What does Tamina ask Bibi to get for her in Prague and why does Tamina make the request?
7. How is Tamina's eventual suicide symbolic?
8. What character's life is again addressed in part 6 and how is her life dismissed in a sense?
9. How are the Czechs and litost related in Kundera's opinion?
10. Who does Kristyna meet and what attracts her to this person?
This section contains 1,103 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)