|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the man who orders a coke ask Tamina?
(a) If she wants to go somewhere where there is no weight.
(b) If she wants to go to the movies with him.
(c) If she is ready for heaven.
(d) Why she is working at a capitalist place.
2. What does the student debate with others?
(a) The right of Russia to be in Hungary.
(b) The might of capitalism to overthrow communism.
(c) The political situation in Prague.
(d) Poetry and philosophical tenets.
3. What entices Kristyna?
(a) Philosophy and higher thinking.
(b) The physical beauty of the student.
(c) The love of acting.
(d) The promise of wealth.
4. Why don't the student and Kristyna consummate their relationship?
(b) Because Kristyna is married.
(c) Because the student changes his mind again.
(d) A lack of trust.
5. What happens to Tamina's case in the police files?
(a) It is eventually forgotten.
(b) It is expunged from the records.
(c) It is solved.
(d) It is still being actively worked.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Kristyna?
2. Why does the student settle into litost?
3. What happens to Hubl after his comments?
4. What do Kristyna and the person she meets do?
5. Where is the boat with the boy who rows?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss what graphomania is and how it is used in the context of this chapter.
2. What is the meaning of the word litost?
3. What is ironic about the student deceiving Kristyna and attending the Writer's Club meeting?
4. What does Tamina ask Bibi to get for her in Prague and why does Tamina make the request?
5. How is Tamina's situation where Raphael takes her similar to her husband's situation just before he dies?
6. How is Tamina's eventual suicide symbolic?
7. Why do you think Kundera blurs historical moments?
8. Who does Kristyna meet and what attracts her to this person?
9. Where does the student go the day before Kristyna arrives and how does this affect the interaction between Kristyna and the student?
10. Who is Kristyna?
This section contains 1,023 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)