|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Tamina find within herself?
(a) A treasured silence.
(b) Anger like she has never known.
(c) A tendency to wander mentally.
2. What does Tamina do when the boy gets tired?
(b) Takes over rowing.
(c) Tosses him overboard.
(d) Gives him some candy for energy.
3. What does Kristyna ask the student to get her?
(a) Two more books by Kant.
(b) A book on philosophy.
(c) An inscription written by the poet they call Goethe in her book.
(d) A new writing tablet.
4. How does the narrator describe Tamina?
(a) As a lost soul whose shape is set in the past.
(b) As on a raft looking back.
(c) As a empty husk.
(d) As a empty soul with no life.
5. About what does Husak make a speech?
(a) The importance of children to our future.
(b) The importance of commerce to our future.
(c) The importance of justice to our future
(d) The importance of a purity of heart to our future.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the children on Tamina's team reward her?
2. What is the man's name who drives off with Tamina in a red sports car?
3. What does the man who orders a coke ask Tamina?
4. What happens to Tamina after she sleeps with Hugo?
5. What does Husak desire?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Kristyna?
2. Why do you think Kundera blurs historical moments?
3. Discuss what graphomania is and how it is used in the context of this chapter.
4. Who does Kristyna meet and what attracts her to this person?
5. Briefly describe a few of the most salient points about Tamina.
6. Where does Tamina go with Raphael?
7. What does Tamina do shortly after her husband dies and what might this foreshadow?
8. How are the Czechs and litost related in Kundera's opinion?
9. What conditions have to exist for graphomania to blossom?
10. How is Tamina's eventual suicide symbolic?
This section contains 955 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)