|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the narrator describe Tamina?
(a) As on a raft looking back.
(b) As a lost soul whose shape is set in the past.
(c) As a empty soul with no life.
(d) As a empty husk.
2. Why don't the student and Kristyna consummate their relationship?
(a) Because Kristyna is married.
(c) A lack of trust.
(d) Because the student changes his mind again.
3. Why is Tamina thought to be a good listener?
(a) She always seems to understand what someone is saying.
(b) She nods constantly.
(c) She does not interrupt others with stories about herself.
(d) She looks people straight in the eye.
4. What is the only picture Tamina has of her husband?
(a) A baby picture.
(b) A picture of him when he is 12.
(c) His passport photo.
(d) She has no pictures of him.
5. What does the man who orders a coke ask Tamina?
(a) Why she is working at a capitalist place.
(b) If she wants to go to the movies with him.
(c) If she wants to go somewhere where there is no weight.
(d) If she is ready for heaven.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the man's name who drives off with Tamina in a red sports car?
2. How is the student recognized?
3. What happens to Tamina?
4. How does Hubl say you can "liquidate its people"?
5. What happens to Kundera's father about the same time as what happens to Hubl?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Kristyna?
2. What is the relationship of litost to romantic love in general and specifically in relation to Kristyna and the student?
3. To what do Kristyna and the student agree and what is the outcome? What does the student's evaluation of Kristyna tell the reader?
4. How is Tamina's situation where Raphael takes her similar to her husband's situation just before he dies?
5. What does Tamina ask Bibi to get for her in Prague and why does Tamina make the request?
6. Where does the student go the day before Kristyna arrives and how does this affect the interaction between Kristyna and the student?
7. What happens to Kundera's father in Part 6 and what do you think is the significance of Kundera writing about what happens to his father?
8. How are the Czechs and litost related in Kundera's opinion?
9. What is the meaning of the word litost?
10. Discuss what graphomania is and how it is used in the context of this chapter.
This section contains 1,132 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)