|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Kristyna to the student?
(a) Like a Band-aid, soothing his ego.
(c) A potential wife.
(d) A good person with whom to discuss poetry and art.
2. What entices Kristyna?
(a) The promise of wealth.
(b) Philosophy and higher thinking.
(c) The love of acting.
(d) The physical beauty of the student.
3. Why do the children on Tamina's team begin to win games?
(a) They are the smartest.
(b) They cheat.
(c) They beat up anyone who might start to win.
(d) Because of Tamina's size and advanced dextrity.
4. Where is the boat with the boy who rows?
(a) At the shore of a lake.
(b) Docked on the bay.
(c) In a field of corn.
(d) Tied to a bridge at the riverbank.
5. What is more valuable to Kristyna than her relationship with the student?
(a) The discussions she has with the student.
(b) The book with the inscription.
(c) Meeting great minds.
(d) Her memories of the Club meeting.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Tamina's case in the police files?
2. What does Hugo do after sleeping with Tamina?
3. What language is the word litost?
4. With whom does Kristyna sometimes have an affair?
5. Why does the student settle into litost?
Short Essay Questions
1. What character's life is again addressed in part 6 and how is her life dismissed in a sense?
2. What does Kundera do at the opening to Part VI: The Angels?
3. Discuss what graphomania is and how it is used in the context of this chapter.
4. What is the meaning of the word litost?
5. What happens to permanently silence Tamina?
6. Where does the student go the day before Kristyna arrives and how does this affect the interaction between Kristyna and the student?
7. Why do you think Kundera blurs historical moments?
8. How are the Czechs and litost related in Kundera's opinion?
9. How is Tamina's eventual suicide symbolic?
10. What is the relationship of litost to romantic love in general and specifically in relation to Kristyna and the student?
This section contains 1,066 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)