|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Tamina find within herself?
(b) Anger like she has never known.
(c) A treasured silence.
(d) A tendency to wander mentally.
2. Where is Bibi going for the summer?
3. How is Tamina's situation similar to her husband's when he was ill?
(a) He died in a hospital with no privacy and her new living arrangements mimic this setting.
(b) He was physically ill and she is mentally ill.
(c) Neither of them understood the situation.
(d) There is no similarity.
4. About what does Husak make a speech?
(a) The importance of justice to our future
(b) The importance of children to our future.
(c) The importance of a purity of heart to our future.
(d) The importance of commerce to our future.
5. Where does Voltaire invite the student?
(a) To his home for dinner.
(b) To watch a reenactment of independence day.
(c) A meeting of the Writer's Club.
(d) To hear a poetry reading at a pub.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tamina think the ostriches are doing?
2. What is the phrase Kundera's father says to everything after he loses his memory?
3. What happens to Hubl after his comments?
4. What turns off the student about Kristyna when she arrives?
5. What happens when Tamina and her husband are abroad?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Kundera do at the opening to Part VI: The Angels?
2. What is the relationship of litost to romantic love in general and specifically in relation to Kristyna and the student?
3. How are the Czechs and litost related in Kundera's opinion?
4. Why do you think Kundera blurs historical moments?
5. Where does the student go the day before Kristyna arrives and how does this affect the interaction between Kristyna and the student?
6. What is the meaning of the word litost?
7. What does Tamina do shortly after her husband dies and what might this foreshadow?
8. Briefly describe a few of the most salient points about Tamina.
9. To what do Kristyna and the student agree and what is the outcome? What does the student's evaluation of Kristyna tell the reader?
10. Who does Kristyna meet and what attracts her to this person?
This section contains 1,037 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)