|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Tamina think the ostriches are doing?
(a) Teaching her.
(b) Asking for mercy.
(c) Laughing at her.
(d) Warning her.
2. Where is the boat with the boy who rows?
(a) Docked on the bay.
(b) At the shore of a lake.
(c) In a field of corn.
(d) Tied to a bridge at the riverbank.
3. What happens to Tamina's case in the police files?
(a) It is eventually forgotten.
(b) It is solved.
(c) It is expunged from the records.
(d) It is still being actively worked.
4. Why don't the student and Kristyna consummate their relationship?
(a) A lack of trust.
(b) Because Kristyna is married.
(d) Because the student changes his mind again.
5. What does Tamina do shortly after losing her husband?
(a) Takes her children out of the country.
(b) Returns to Prague.
(c) Goes to plead for his release.
(d) Swallows a bottle of prescription pills and swims out into the sea.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Tamina after she sleeps with Hugo?
2. How is Tamina's situation similar to her husband's when he was ill?
3. What does Tamina find within herself?
4. What is the only picture Tamina has of her husband?
5. How is the student recognized?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Tamina losing herself and why does she think the notebooks will help her situation?
2. Who is Kristyna?
3. What conditions have to exist for graphomania to blossom?
4. What does Tamina do shortly after her husband dies and what might this foreshadow?
5. What is the relationship of litost to romantic love in general and specifically in relation to Kristyna and the student?
6. How are the Czechs and litost related in Kundera's opinion?
7. Briefly describe a few of the most salient points about Tamina.
8. What does Kundera do at the opening to Part VI: The Angels?
9. What character's life is again addressed in part 6 and how is her life dismissed in a sense?
10. What happens to Kundera's father in Part 6 and what do you think is the significance of Kundera writing about what happens to his father?
This section contains 1,035 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)