|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Tamina find within herself?
(b) A treasured silence.
(c) Anger like she has never known.
(d) A tendency to wander mentally.
2. What happens to Tamina?
(a) She is given a room full of children and no privacy.
(b) She is eaten by the animals.
(c) She is left alone on the deserted islad.
(d) She joins the elderly women.
3. Who is Tamina?
(a) She is Kundera's second wife.
(b) She is a secondary character and a cousin to Kundera.
(c) She is one of the two or three fictionalized characters that Kundera assumes are born every second on earth.
(d) We are never told anything about her.
4. Why don't the student and Kristyna consummate their relationship?
(a) Because Kristyna is married.
(b) Because the student changes his mind again.
(c) A lack of trust.
5. Where is the boat with the boy who rows?
(a) Docked on the bay.
(b) In a field of corn.
(c) At the shore of a lake.
(d) Tied to a bridge at the riverbank.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the island like where Tamina and the boy are at?
2. When Kristyna arrives, where is the student?
3. What does Tamina think the ostriches are doing?
4. What happens when Tamina and her husband are abroad?
5. How does the student spend the evening?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the meaning of the word litost?
2. What does Tamina ask Bibi to get for her in Prague and why does Tamina make the request?
3. Who does Kristyna meet and what attracts her to this person?
4. What happens to permanently silence Tamina?
5. Who is Kristyna?
6. Why do you think Kundera blurs historical moments?
7. What does Tamina do shortly after her husband dies and what might this foreshadow?
8. To what do Kristyna and the student agree and what is the outcome? What does the student's evaluation of Kristyna tell the reader?
9. What does Kundera do at the opening to Part VI: The Angels?
10. What happens to Kundera's father in Part 6 and what do you think is the significance of Kundera writing about what happens to his father?
This section contains 1,078 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)