|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Tamina thought to be a good listener?
(a) She looks people straight in the eye.
(b) She always seems to understand what someone is saying.
(c) She does not interrupt others with stories about herself.
(d) She nods constantly.
2. How is Tamina's apartment?
(a) Completely empty.
(b) Neat and organized.
(c) In shambles.
(d) Cluttered but clean.
3. About what does Husak make a speech?
(a) The importance of commerce to our future.
(b) The importance of children to our future.
(c) The importance of justice to our future
(d) The importance of a purity of heart to our future.
4. What does Tamina try to recreate?
(a) The last day of her husband's life.
(b) A safe home for the children.
(c) The scene where her husband is arrested.
(d) The notebooks filled with their past and love letters or even his face.
5. Where does Voltaire invite the student?
(a) A meeting of the Writer's Club.
(b) To watch a reenactment of independence day.
(c) To hear a poetry reading at a pub.
(d) To his home for dinner.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tamina ask Bibi to get at Tamina's stepmother's house?
2. How does Hubl say you can "liquidate its people"?
3. Where is the boat with the boy who rows?
4. How do the children on Tamina's team reward her?
5. What language is the word litost?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the relationship of litost to romantic love in general and specifically in relation to Kristyna and the student?
2. What happens to permanently silence Tamina?
3. What happens to Kundera's father in Part 6 and what do you think is the significance of Kundera writing about what happens to his father?
4. How is Tamina's situation where Raphael takes her similar to her husband's situation just before he dies?
5. Discuss what graphomania is and how it is used in the context of this chapter.
6. What is the meaning of the word litost?
7. Where does Tamina go with Raphael?
8. How are the Czechs and litost related in Kundera's opinion?
9. How is Kundera's father's attempt to understand Beethoven undertaken by Kundera?
10. Where does the student go the day before Kristyna arrives and how does this affect the interaction between Kristyna and the student?
This section contains 1,174 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)