|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is one condition that must occur for graphomania to take place?
(a) There has to be a lot of left-handed people.
(b) The people must be oppressed so they are motivated to speak out.
(c) The people in the society must have an elevated sense of well-being.
(d) The people must be angry and want change.
2. What does Kristyna ask the student to get her?
(a) A new writing tablet.
(b) A book on philosophy.
(c) Two more books by Kant.
(d) An inscription written by the poet they call Goethe in her book.
3. Where is Bibi going for the summer?
4. Who is Bibi?
(a) A regular customer to the cafe.
(b) A ballerina.
(c) Tamina's lover.
(d) The owner of the cafe.
5. What does Tamina do one day?
(a) Kills the biggest boy in the group.
(b) Tries to swim away from the island.
(c) Takes over an entire dorm room.
(d) Teaches the children how to talk.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Tamina after she sleeps with Hugo?
2. What does Tamina do when the boy gets tired?
3. Where does Voltaire invite the student?
4. Who does Kristyna meet one day?
5. How is Tamina's apartment?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think Kundera blurs historical moments?
2. How is Tamina's eventual suicide symbolic?
3. How are the Czechs and litost related in Kundera's opinion?
4. Who is Kristyna?
5. What does Tamina do shortly after her husband dies and what might this foreshadow?
6. Who does Kristyna meet and what attracts her to this person?
7. Why is Tamina losing herself and why does she think the notebooks will help her situation?
8. What is the relationship of litost to romantic love in general and specifically in relation to Kristyna and the student?
9. What is the meaning of the word litost?
10. Where does the student go the day before Kristyna arrives and how does this affect the interaction between Kristyna and the student?
This section contains 930 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)