|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. About what does Husak make a speech?
(a) The importance of justice to our future
(b) The importance of commerce to our future.
(c) The importance of children to our future.
(d) The importance of a purity of heart to our future.
2. Who is Kristyna?
(a) A friend of the author's.
(b) A 30-year-old woman who is married to a butcher.
(c) An elderly babushka.
(d) A nun who teachers Kundera.
3. How does Hubl say you can "liquidate its people"?
(a) By erasing their memory of their previous culture.
(b) By killing them one by one.
(c) By indoctrinating their children.
(d) He is not sure how to do it, just that it is necessary.
4. What is more valuable to Kristyna than her relationship with the student?
(a) The discussions she has with the student.
(b) Meeting great minds.
(c) Her memories of the Club meeting.
(d) The book with the inscription.
5. What happens to Hubl after his comments?
(a) He is made Minister of Justice.
(b) He is jailed six months later.
(c) He is assassinated.
(d) He defects.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the student settle into litost?
2. What happens to Tamina's case in the police files?
3. Where does Tamina work?
4. What does Husak desire?
5. What entices Kristyna?
Short Essay Questions
1. To what do Kristyna and the student agree and what is the outcome? What does the student's evaluation of Kristyna tell the reader?
2. What is the meaning of the word litost?
3. Who is Kristyna?
4. What character's life is again addressed in part 6 and how is her life dismissed in a sense?
5. What conditions have to exist for graphomania to blossom?
6. How is Tamina's situation where Raphael takes her similar to her husband's situation just before he dies?
7. Where does Tamina go with Raphael?
8. Discuss what graphomania is and how it is used in the context of this chapter.
9. What happens to Kundera's father in Part 6 and what do you think is the significance of Kundera writing about what happens to his father?
10. What does Tamina do shortly after her husband dies and what might this foreshadow?
This section contains 1,071 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)