|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is the student recognized?
(a) As a poet.
(b) As an artist.
(c) As a student; that's all.
(d) As a fake.
2. Why doesn't the memory of Tamina's husband torment her any longer?
(a) She has had a lobotomy.
(b) She is in a place of no history.
(c) She is in love with Raphael.
(d) She has had a stroke.
3. What do Tamina and her husband leave at her Stepmother's house?
(a) Some political propaganda.
(b) All Tamina and her husband's love letters.
(c) Their son.
(d) Their daughter.
4. In what status does Tamina leave Bohemia?
(b) Pending citizenship.
(d) As a non-citizen.
5. When Kristyna arrives, where is the student?
(a) He is in his apartment waiting for Kristyna.
(b) With a friend at a pub.
(c) He is in prison for distributing propaganda against the state.
(d) In class with someone referred to as Voltaire.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Tamina spend her time?
2. Why don't the student and Kristyna consummate their relationship?
3. Where do Kristyna and a student she meets agree to reunite?
4. What happens to Tamina eventually?
5. With whom does Kristyna sometimes have an affair?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tamina ask Bibi to get for her in Prague and why does Tamina make the request?
2. Why is Tamina losing herself and why does she think the notebooks will help her situation?
3. Why do you think Kundera blurs historical moments?
4. Who does Kristyna meet and what attracts her to this person?
5. To what do Kristyna and the student agree and what is the outcome? What does the student's evaluation of Kristyna tell the reader?
6. What is the relationship of litost to romantic love in general and specifically in relation to Kristyna and the student?
7. What does Tamina do shortly after her husband dies and what might this foreshadow?
8. What conditions have to exist for graphomania to blossom?
9. What does Kundera do at the opening to Part VI: The Angels?
10. How is Tamina's eventual suicide symbolic?
This section contains 1,081 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)