|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Kundera's father about the same time as what happens to Hubl?
(a) Kundera's father defects.
(b) Kundera's father writes a refutation of Hubl's words.
(c) Kundera's father becomes ill.
(d) Kundera's father is removed from the position Minister of Justice.
2. When Kristyna arrives, where is the student?
(a) He is in his apartment waiting for Kristyna.
(b) With a friend at a pub.
(c) He is in prison for distributing propaganda against the state.
(d) In class with someone referred to as Voltaire.
3. What is the island like where Tamina and the boy are at?
(a) It is full of strange animals.
(b) It is full of children.
(c) It is full of lush vegetation and has a few elderly women.
(d) It is deserted.
4. Why doesn't the memory of Tamina's husband torment her any longer?
(a) She is in love with Raphael.
(b) She has had a stroke.
(c) She is in a place of no history.
(d) She has had a lobotomy.
5. What entices Kristyna?
(a) The physical beauty of the student.
(b) The promise of wealth.
(c) The love of acting.
(d) Philosophy and higher thinking.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are two other people Kundera blurs the historic moments of?
2. Who is Bibi?
3. What finally happens to Tamina?
4. Where is Bibi going for the summer?
5. What does Tamina try to recreate?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does the student go the day before Kristyna arrives and how does this affect the interaction between Kristyna and the student?
2. Who does Kristyna meet and what attracts her to this person?
3. How is Tamina's situation where Raphael takes her similar to her husband's situation just before he dies?
4. What happens to permanently silence Tamina?
5. How is Kundera's father's attempt to understand Beethoven undertaken by Kundera?
6. What conditions have to exist for graphomania to blossom?
7. Why is Tamina losing herself and why does she think the notebooks will help her situation?
8. Explain who Tamina is and the significance of how Kundera describes her.
9. Who is Kristyna?
10. What happens to Kundera's father in Part 6 and what do you think is the significance of Kundera writing about what happens to his father?
This section contains 1,170 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)