|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Hugo take Tamina to the zoo?
(a) To impress her.
(b) To show her a new monkey species that was found.
(c) To teach her about drawing birds.
(d) To show her a new exhibit he had planned.
2. What do Kristyna and the person she meets do?
(a) Get to know each other.
(b) Argues about Kristyna moving to London.
(c) Tell each other all about her life over the past twenty years.
(d) Have an emotional affair.
3. What entices Kristyna?
(a) The physical beauty of the student.
(b) The love of acting.
(c) Philosophy and higher thinking.
(d) The promise of wealth.
4. Who does Kristyna meet one day?
(a) A student on vacation.
(b) Her biological mother.
(c) A man who offers her a chance to act on stage.
(d) Her sister who had been kidnapped years ago.
5. What does litost mean?
(a) A toast to life.
(b) A state of torment created by the sudden sight of one's own misery.
(c) A toast to misery.
(d) The least weight of all.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Kristyna to the student?
2. Of what is Bibi convinced?
3. Why do the children on Tamina's team begin to win games?
4. How is Tamina's apartment?
5. Why don't the student and Kristyna consummate their relationship?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are the Czechs and litost related in Kundera's opinion?
2. How is Tamina's eventual suicide symbolic?
3. What is the meaning of the word litost?
4. Where does the student go the day before Kristyna arrives and how does this affect the interaction between Kristyna and the student?
5. How is Tamina's situation where Raphael takes her similar to her husband's situation just before he dies?
6. Explain who Tamina is and the significance of how Kundera describes her.
7. Why is Tamina losing herself and why does she think the notebooks will help her situation?
8. Discuss what graphomania is and how it is used in the context of this chapter.
9. What does Tamina ask Bibi to get for her in Prague and why does Tamina make the request?
10. Who is Kristyna?
This section contains 983 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)