|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Tamina not doing?
(a) Taking care of herself.
(b) Trying to create a present or future for herself.
(c) Staying in touch with her husband in prison.
(d) Thinking of her children.
2. Who is Bibi?
(a) The owner of the cafe.
(b) Tamina's lover.
(c) A ballerina.
(d) A regular customer to the cafe.
3. What is Kristyna to the student?
(b) A good person with whom to discuss poetry and art.
(c) A potential wife.
(d) Like a Band-aid, soothing his ego.
4. Who are two other people Kundera blurs the historic moments of?
(a) No others.
(b) Kundera and Mirek.
(c) Kafta and Svaboda.
(d) Mirek and Kafta.
5. What happens to Tamina?
(a) She is left alone on the deserted islad.
(b) She joins the elderly women.
(c) She is eaten by the animals.
(d) She is given a room full of children and no privacy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Kristyna and the person she meets do?
2. About what does Husak make a speech?
3. What happens to Kundera's father about the same time as what happens to Hubl?
4. What do Tamina and her husband leave at her Stepmother's house?
5. Where is the boat with the boy who rows?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tamina ask Bibi to get for her in Prague and why does Tamina make the request?
2. What happens to permanently silence Tamina?
3. How are the Czechs and litost related in Kundera's opinion?
4. How is Tamina's situation where Raphael takes her similar to her husband's situation just before he dies?
5. Where does Tamina go with Raphael?
6. Why is Tamina losing herself and why does she think the notebooks will help her situation?
7. What does Tamina do shortly after her husband dies and what might this foreshadow?
8. What is the relationship of litost to romantic love in general and specifically in relation to Kristyna and the student?
9. To what do Kristyna and the student agree and what is the outcome? What does the student's evaluation of Kristyna tell the reader?
10. What does Kundera do at the opening to Part VI: The Angels?
This section contains 1,209 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)