|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Tamina?
(a) We are never told anything about her.
(b) She is one of the two or three fictionalized characters that Kundera assumes are born every second on earth.
(c) She is a secondary character and a cousin to Kundera.
(d) She is Kundera's second wife.
2. How does the student spend the evening?
(a) In the presence of great minds.
(b) Sleeping at a friend's house.
(c) In the arms of a prostitute.
(d) Carousing with friends.
3. To what does the student manipulate Kristyna into agreeing?
(a) To getting her own motel room.
(b) To return that same day back to her home.
(c) To his going to the Writer's Club meeting.
(d) To go to bed with him.
4. How is Tamina's apartment?
(a) Neat and organized.
(b) In shambles.
(c) Cluttered but clean.
(d) Completely empty.
5. What language is the word litost?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tamina think the ostriches are doing?
2. How do the children on Tamina's team reward her?
3. What does litost mean?
4. Where does Tamina work?
5. With whom does Kristyna sometimes have an affair?
Short Essay Questions
1. To what do Kristyna and the student agree and what is the outcome? What does the student's evaluation of Kristyna tell the reader?
2. What happens to permanently silence Tamina?
3. Briefly describe a few of the most salient points about Tamina.
4. What is the relationship of litost to romantic love in general and specifically in relation to Kristyna and the student?
5. Discuss what graphomania is and how it is used in the context of this chapter.
6. What is ironic about the student deceiving Kristyna and attending the Writer's Club meeting?
7. Why do you think Kundera blurs historical moments?
8. How is Tamina's eventual suicide symbolic?
9. Where does the student go the day before Kristyna arrives and how does this affect the interaction between Kristyna and the student?
10. How are the Czechs and litost related in Kundera's opinion?
This section contains 1,212 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)