|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do students dance in a ring?
(a) It is a figure of speech; they don't actually dance.
(b) To celebrate a variety of things.
(c) So no one is behind any one else for safety.
(d) For flexibility and exercise.
2. What is Kundera hired to write for a political magazine?
(a) The truth.
(b) A political pundit column.
(c) An astrology column.
(d) A vitrolic response to Voice of America.
3. What does Zdena urge Mirek to do?
(a) Get a job.
(b) Reconcile with her.
(c) Make a deal with his political party.
(d) Leave the country.
4. What happens to Mirek when he and Zdena break up?
(a) Bad things.
(c) He marries someone else.
(d) Good things.
5. Why is Mirek ashamed of Zdena?
(a) She is uneducated.
(b) She has bad table manners.
(c) She has a loud, grating voice.
(d) She is ugly.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Klement Gottwald doing?
2. What happens when Mirek stops to have his car checked?
3. What do the members of the ring do?
4. What does Mama later say about Eva?
5. Where does Eva meet Marketa?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Kundera say about laughter in response to Michelle and Gabrielle's laughter?
2. What situation in Kundera's personal past does he discuss after writing about laughter?
3. What is the meaning of laughter in part 3?
4. What happens that embarrasses Mama?
5. What is remembered about Clementis?
6. Why do you think Kundera agrees to write an astrology column?
7. What is the difference between how Mama views memory versus how Karel and Marketa do?
8. What is the larger meaning of the letters which Mirek is supposedly seeking to have back?
9. What is Zdena response to Mirek's request for his letters and do you think she is being fair to Mirek?
10. Why does Mirek want his old love letters back from Zdena and do you think his goal is possible?
This section contains 1,205 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)