|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Klement Gottwald doing?
(a) Stepping out on a balcony to make a speech.
(b) Sliding down a mountain on skis.
(c) Escaping through the mountains.
2. What does Marketa do for the Easter weekend?
(a) Goes to church for the first time in many years.
(b) Goes to visit her mother-in-law.
(c) Goes to Paris.
(d) Invites her mother-in-law to visit.
3. Who is discussing the play "Rhinoceros" ?
(a) No one.
(b) Madame Raphael's political cell.
(c) Madame Raphael's class.
(d) Madame Raphael's support group.
4. What does Michelle and Gabrielle's laughter elicit?
(a) A slap from Sister Maria who is teaching the class.
(b) A hushing noise from another person.
(c) A more in-depth discussion of laughter.
(d) A grimace from Madame Raphael.
5. For whom does Kundera give a personal astrological reading?
(a) Kundera's boss.
(b) A powerful Communist leader, Breznev.
(c) Brezhnev's wife.
(d) Khrushchev's wife.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mirek feel about Zdena's advice?
2. Who wrote RHINOCEROS?
3. What does Marketa tell her mother-in-law?
4. How do Marketa and Eva get along at first?
5. What was happening in 1948 in Kundera's life?
Short Essay Questions
1. How would the relationship between Marketa and Karel change if Marketa cheats on him with Eva and her husband?
2. What does Mirek think of Zdena when they first meet and then become lovers?
3. What is the larger meaning of the letters which Mirek is supposedly seeking to have back?
4. What happens when Karel receives a phone call and how is the outcome ironic?
5. Why does Mirek want his old love letters back from Zdena and do you think his goal is possible?
6. How is the fur hat symbolic?
7. What is it that Marketa does not know about Eva and do you think Marketa would care at this point if she learned this?
8. Where does Mirek stop and why is that problematic?
9. What is remembered about Clementis?
10. Why does Kundera quit dancing and what does he imagine about the dancing? Of what do you think his imagining about the dancing is symbolic?
This section contains 1,160 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)