|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when Mirek leaves Zdena's place?
(a) He temporarily loses the men following him in the car.
(b) He goes to borrow a friend's gun.
(c) He calls his mother on his cell phone.
(d) He decides to go and jump off a high bridge.
2. What is Zdena's response?
(a) She gave him a recommendation already and he blew it.
(b) Their child belongs with her mother.
(c) Never will she give them to her.
(d) She is broke herself and has no money.
3. What happens when Mirek stops to have his car checked?
(a) The transmission is no good.
(b) He learns he has a blown head gasket.
(c) His tire is flat and can't be replaced.
(d) The attendant is not happy about serving him.
4. Why does Clementis give Gottwald a fur cap?
(a) To make him look like Marketa.
(b) To conceal who he is.
(c) To make him look ridiculous.
(d) His head is bare and it is very cold.
5. What year is it when the book opens?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Mirek ashamed of Zdena?
2. What is Kundera hired to write for a political magazine?
3. Why do students dance in a ring?
4. What does Mama later say about Eva?
5. How do Karel and Eva conspire?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think Marketa asks Eva to pretend she is Marketa's cousin?
2. What is remembered about Clementis?
3. What does Marketa contemplate doing with Eva near the end of the chapter?
4. What does this Kundera say about our collective past?
5. What is the larger meaning of the letters which Mirek is supposedly seeking to have back?
6. What is it that Marketa does not know about Eva and do you think Marketa would care at this point if she learned this?
7. What is Zdena response to Mirek's request for his letters and do you think she is being fair to Mirek?
8. How would the relationship between Marketa and Karel change if Marketa cheats on him with Eva and her husband?
9. What happens when Mirek arrives back home and how is this somewhat ironic?
10. What does Kundera say about laughter in response to Michelle and Gabrielle's laughter?
This section contains 1,207 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)