|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Tamina?
(a) We are never told anything about her.
(b) She is a secondary character and a cousin to Kundera.
(c) She is one of the two or three fictionalized characters that Kundera assumes are born every second on earth.
(d) She is Kundera's second wife.
2. With whom does Kristyna sometimes have an affair?
(a) A cook.
(b) A pilot.
(c) An auto mechanic.
(d) A physics professor.
3. How is Tamina's apartment?
(a) Neat and organized.
(b) In shambles.
(c) Completely empty.
(d) Cluttered but clean.
4. What is graphomania?
(a) The need for the perfect pen.
(b) The way they illustrate comics.
(c) A way of writing in cuneiform.
(d) The obsessive drive to write a book.
5. What does Hugo do after sleeping with Tamina?
(a) Tells her he is married.
(b) Asks her if she will marry him.
(c) Goes back on his promise to go to Prague.
(d) Tells her he is leaving the country.
6. What does Husak desire?
(a) To imprison Mirek.
(b) To take over the country.
(c) To kill Kundera.
(d) To defect to Great Britain.
7. Where do Kristyna and a student she meets agree to reunite?
(a) At his apartment in the city.
(b) In Poland.
(c) In Budapest.
(d) In Prague.
8. What finally happens to Tamina?
(a) She becomes the oldest of the elderly woman there.
(b) She dies in her sleep naturally.
(c) She is hung by the children who keep losing to her team.
(d) She drowns.
9. What does the student debate with others?
(a) The might of capitalism to overthrow communism.
(b) The political situation in Prague.
(c) Poetry and philosophical tenets.
(d) The right of Russia to be in Hungary.
10. Who is Kristyna?
(a) An elderly babushka.
(b) A 30-year-old woman who is married to a butcher.
(c) A nun who teachers Kundera.
(d) A friend of the author's.
11. How does Hubl say you can "liquidate its people"?
(a) By killing them one by one.
(b) He is not sure how to do it, just that it is necessary.
(c) By erasing their memory of their previous culture.
(d) By indoctrinating their children.
12. Why doesn't the memory of Tamina's husband torment her any longer?
(a) She is in a place of no history.
(b) She has had a lobotomy.
(c) She is in love with Raphael.
(d) She has had a stroke.
13. What is the island like where Tamina and the boy are at?
(a) It is full of lush vegetation and has a few elderly women.
(b) It is deserted.
(c) It is full of children.
(d) It is full of strange animals.
14. What does litost mean?
(a) The least weight of all.
(b) A toast to life.
(c) A state of torment created by the sudden sight of one's own misery.
(d) A toast to misery.
15. Why do the children on Tamina's team begin to win games?
(a) They are the smartest.
(b) They cheat.
(c) Because of Tamina's size and advanced dextrity.
(d) They beat up anyone who might start to win.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tamina try to recreate?
2. What is Tamina not doing?
3. How is the student recognized?
4. Who is Banaka?
5. What does Tamina think the ostriches are doing?
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)