|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Tamina think the ostriches are doing?
(a) Warning her.
(b) Laughing at her.
(c) Asking for mercy.
(d) Teaching her.
2. What do Kristyna and the person she meets do?
(a) Have an emotional affair.
(b) Get to know each other.
(c) Tell each other all about her life over the past twenty years.
(d) Argues about Kristyna moving to London.
3. How does the student spend the evening?
(a) In the presence of great minds.
(b) Sleeping at a friend's house.
(c) In the arms of a prostitute.
(d) Carousing with friends.
4. What does Tamina do one day?
(a) Takes over an entire dorm room.
(b) Tries to swim away from the island.
(c) Kills the biggest boy in the group.
(d) Teaches the children how to talk.
5. Who is Kristyna?
(a) A 30-year-old woman who is married to a butcher.
(b) A friend of the author's.
(c) An elderly babushka.
(d) A nun who teachers Kundera.
6. How is the student recognized?
(a) As an artist.
(b) As a student; that's all.
(c) As a poet.
(d) As a fake.
7. Who are two other people Kundera blurs the historic moments of?
(a) Kundera and Mirek.
(b) Kafta and Svaboda.
(c) No others.
(d) Mirek and Kafta.
8. What does litost mean?
(a) The least weight of all.
(b) A state of torment created by the sudden sight of one's own misery.
(c) A toast to life.
(d) A toast to misery.
9. Where do Kristyna and a student she meets agree to reunite?
(a) In Prague.
(b) At his apartment in the city.
(c) In Poland.
(d) In Budapest.
10. Why do the police go to Tamina's apartment?
(a) She does not show up for work.
(b) She calls the police because a derelict is bothering her.
(c) She has been meeting with a politically banned group.
(d) She calls in and her boss can hear a gunshot in the background.
11. What happens to Tamina after she sleeps with Hugo?
(a) She is silent permanently.
(b) She tells him to leave her home and never come back.
(c) She regains her voice and words.
(d) She cries.
12. Who is Bibi?
(a) A regular customer to the cafe.
(b) A ballerina.
(c) Tamina's lover.
(d) The owner of the cafe.
13. How is Tamina's situation similar to her husband's when he was ill?
(a) He died in a hospital with no privacy and her new living arrangements mimic this setting.
(b) He was physically ill and she is mentally ill.
(c) There is no similarity.
(d) Neither of them understood the situation.
14. What do Kristyna and the student decide?
(a) To marry.
(b) To not see each other again because of her husband.
(c) To travel to Italy.
(d) To meet in the city on a particular weekend.
15. What does the man who orders a coke ask Tamina?
(a) If she wants to go to the movies with him.
(b) If she wants to go somewhere where there is no weight.
(c) Why she is working at a capitalist place.
(d) If she is ready for heaven.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the student settle into litost?
2. To what does the student manipulate Kristyna into agreeing?
3. What finally happens to Tamina?
4. What is the phrase Kundera's father says to everything after he loses his memory?
5. Where is Bibi going for the summer?
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)