|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why doesn't the memory of Tamina's husband torment her any longer?
(a) She has had a lobotomy.
(b) She is in a place of no history.
(c) She is in love with Raphael.
(d) She has had a stroke.
2. Who is Bibi?
(a) The owner of the cafe.
(b) A ballerina.
(c) Tamina's lover.
(d) A regular customer to the cafe.
3. What is the phrase Kundera's father says to everything after he loses his memory?
(a) That's strange.
(b) Stranger things have happened.
(c) Strange that it is true.
(d) That's great.
4. What does the student debate with others?
(a) The political situation in Prague.
(b) Poetry and philosophical tenets.
(c) The might of capitalism to overthrow communism.
(d) The right of Russia to be in Hungary.
5. What is the island like where Tamina and the boy are at?
(a) It is full of children.
(b) It is full of strange animals.
(c) It is full of lush vegetation and has a few elderly women.
(d) It is deserted.
6. What happens to Tamina?
(a) She is eaten by the animals.
(b) She is given a room full of children and no privacy.
(c) She is left alone on the deserted islad.
(d) She joins the elderly women.
7. What happens to Tamina after she sleeps with Hugo?
(a) She tells him to leave her home and never come back.
(b) She is silent permanently.
(c) She cries.
(d) She regains her voice and words.
8. Who does Kristyna meet one day?
(a) Her biological mother.
(b) A student on vacation.
(c) A man who offers her a chance to act on stage.
(d) Her sister who had been kidnapped years ago.
9. To what does the student manipulate Kristyna into agreeing?
(a) To his going to the Writer's Club meeting.
(b) To return that same day back to her home.
(c) To go to bed with him.
(d) To getting her own motel room.
10. Why do the police go to Tamina's apartment?
(a) She does not show up for work.
(b) She calls the police because a derelict is bothering her.
(c) She has been meeting with a politically banned group.
(d) She calls in and her boss can hear a gunshot in the background.
11. What happens to Tamina eventually?
(a) She is killed by a young man.
(b) She marries Raphael.
(c) She becomes a mother to all the children.
(d) She has no memory of her prior life.
12. What does Tamina do one day?
(a) Tries to swim away from the island.
(b) Takes over an entire dorm room.
(c) Teaches the children how to talk.
(d) Kills the biggest boy in the group.
13. What finally happens to Tamina?
(a) She dies in her sleep naturally.
(b) She drowns.
(c) She becomes the oldest of the elderly woman there.
(d) She is hung by the children who keep losing to her team.
14. What is one condition that must occur for graphomania to take place?
(a) The people in the society must have an elevated sense of well-being.
(b) The people must be oppressed so they are motivated to speak out.
(c) There has to be a lot of left-handed people.
(d) The people must be angry and want change.
15. Where does Tamina work?
(a) We are not told.
(b) As a waitress at a cafe.
(c) As a nanny to one of the big Communist Bosses.
(d) As a secretary to the Minister of Justice.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the man's name who drives off with Tamina in a red sports car?
2. What does Tamina ask Bibi to get at Tamina's stepmother's house?
3. Where does Voltaire invite the student?
4. In what status does Tamina leave Bohemia?
5. What does Husak desire?
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)