|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Tamina thought to be a good listener?
(a) She nods constantly.
(b) She does not interrupt others with stories about herself.
(c) She looks people straight in the eye.
(d) She always seems to understand what someone is saying.
2. How does the student spend the evening?
(a) Sleeping at a friend's house.
(b) In the arms of a prostitute.
(c) In the presence of great minds.
(d) Carousing with friends.
3. Where does Tamina work?
(a) As a secretary to the Minister of Justice.
(b) As a waitress at a cafe.
(c) We are not told.
(d) As a nanny to one of the big Communist Bosses.
4. Why does the student settle into litost?
(a) To illustrate his despondent tendencies.
(b) Because he tends to be melodramatic.
(c) Because of his missed opportunity.
(d) To write better poetry.
5. How does Tamina spend her time?
(b) Writing letters to get her husband released from prison.
(c) Taking care of her other children.
(d) Recreating her husband and their time together.
6. Who is Bibi?
(a) A ballerina.
(b) Tamina's lover.
(c) A regular customer to the cafe.
(d) The owner of the cafe.
7. How is the student recognized?
(a) As a poet.
(b) As a fake.
(c) As a student; that's all.
(d) As an artist.
8. Where is Bibi going for the summer?
9. What is one condition that must occur for graphomania to take place?
(a) The people in the society must have an elevated sense of well-being.
(b) The people must be angry and want change.
(c) There has to be a lot of left-handed people.
(d) The people must be oppressed so they are motivated to speak out.
10. What turns off the student about Kristyna when she arrives?
(a) Her obvious hero worship of him.
(b) Her loud voice.
(c) Nothing; he is delighted with her.
(d) Her provincial appearance.
11. How does the student feel as he returns home?
(d) Fully restored.
12. What happens to Tamina after she sleeps with Hugo?
(a) She is silent permanently.
(b) She tells him to leave her home and never come back.
(c) She cries.
(d) She regains her voice and words.
13. Where is the boat with the boy who rows?
(a) In a field of corn.
(b) Docked on the bay.
(c) At the shore of a lake.
(d) Tied to a bridge at the riverbank.
14. What does the student debate with others?
(a) Poetry and philosophical tenets.
(b) The right of Russia to be in Hungary.
(c) The political situation in Prague.
(d) The might of capitalism to overthrow communism.
15. What does Kristyna ask the student to get her?
(a) A book on philosophy.
(b) Two more books by Kant.
(c) An inscription written by the poet they call Goethe in her book.
(d) A new writing tablet.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Kristyna and a student she meets agree to reunite?
2. What finally happens to Tamina?
3. What is Kristyna to the student?
4. What is Tamina not doing?
5. Who are two other people Kundera blurs the historic moments of?
This section contains 558 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)