|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Kundera watch in the ring?
2. What upsets Marketa about her mother-in-law?
(a) That she insists that she come to see her grandson.
(b) That the breakup of the marriage is all Marketa's fault.
(c) That she will not stay in the hotel.
(d) She does not leave on the day Marketa requested.
3. What happens to Madame Raphael, Michelle and Gabrielle?
(a) They dance and then rise into the sky like angels.
(b) They are shot.
(c) They go off laughing together.
(d) They are arrested.
4. Who arrives while the mother-in-law is still there?
(b) Marketa's son.
(c) The group of political conspirators.
(d) The police.
5. What do the police find?
(a) A baggie of drugs.
(b) The letters that Mirek kept between colleagues and friends.
(d) Some illegal weapons.
6. When does Marketa begin to write her mother-in-law?
(a) When her mother-in-law's husband dies.
(b) When her mother-in-law begins to write Marketa.
(c) When they need money.
(d) She does not write her mother-in-law.
7. What does Michelle and Gabrielle's laughter elicit?
(a) A grimace from Madame Raphael.
(b) A slap from Sister Maria who is teaching the class.
(c) A hushing noise from another person.
(d) A more in-depth discussion of laughter.
8. What do Eva, Marketa and Karel frequently do?
(a) Have sex together.
(b) Plan political rallies.
(c) Attend the theater together.
(d) Go skiing.
9. What does Mama later say about Eva?
(a) That she looks like a former friend of Mama's.
(b) That she is kind.
(c) That she is smart.
(d) That she looks like a hussy.
10. Who addresses the Czech people?
(c) Klement Gottwald.
11. What are Eva, Karel and Marketa doing when Mama is in her room?
(a) Singing karaoke.
(b) Shooting darts.
(c) Playing cards.
12. To whom does Marketa introduce Eva?
(b) Marketa's sister.
(c) Marketa's son.
(d) Marketa's mother.
13. Who is fired because of Kundera?
(a) The editor of the magazine where Kundera is working.
(b) His father.
(c) His philosophy professor.
(d) His best friend.
14. How does Kundera feel about the dancing?
(a) He is despondent.
(b) He thinks they are silly.
(c) He is angry.
(d) He is envious.
15. Why is Mirek ashamed of Zdena?
(a) She is ugly.
(b) She is uneducated.
(c) She has bad table manners.
(d) She has a loud, grating voice.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what is Mirek reveling?
2. Why does Marketa not feel threatened by Eva?
3. What is the subject of the poem?
4. What do Market and Karel tell each other when they move out of his parents' home?
5. What year is it when the book opens?
This section contains 493 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)