|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Karel picture in his mind when he, Marketa and Eva are together later?
(a) No one.
(b) The woman he was just speaking to on the phone.
(c) His last wife.
(d) His mama's friend.
2. What is the tone of the play RHINOCEROS?
(a) Religious fervor.
(c) Intense sexuality.
(d) Mockery and playfulness.
3. Who is waiting for Mirek when he arrives back home?
(a) The police.
(b) His mother.
(d) His best friend.
4. What does Mama remember when they are all together?
(a) Where she has met Eva before.
(b) That Marketa had asked her to leave on Sunday.
(c) A poem she once recited.
(d) That Eva once visited Mama's house with Karel.
5. What is Mirek being followed?
(a) He has bodyguards in another car.
(b) He is considered an enemy of the state.
(c) He stole the car he is driving.
(d) Someone warns the police he is going to kill Zdena.
6. What does Mirek say about Zdena's age?
(a) That she is older than he is.
(b) That they are the same age.
(c) That she is much younger than he is.
(d) That she has never told him her age.
7. How do Marketa and Eva get along at first?
(a) They are instantly friends.
(b) They don't think they like each other.
(c) They feel competitive with each other.
(d) They think the other one is too radical.
8. How do Karel and Eva conspire?
(a) To leave Marketa and take Karel and Marketa's life savings.
(b) To make it look as though Marketa is the first to meet Eva.
(c) To get Marketa to think that she wants to leave Karel.
(d) To get Marketa to allow his mother to live with them.
9. What does distance do for Marketa's attitude toward her mother-in-law?
(b) It makes her more determined to steer clear of her mother-in-law.
(c) It softens Marketa's perspective on her mother-in-law.
(d) It gives her the perspective to be able to forgive the mother-in-law.
10. What was happening in 1948 in Kundera's life?
(a) He begins to doubt the efficacy of communism.
(b) His wife dies in childbirth.
(c) He learns he has leukemia.
(d) He is involved in the political parties of his time and "danced in a ring."
11. For whom does Kundera give a personal astrological reading?
(a) Khrushchev's wife.
(b) A powerful Communist leader, Breznev.
(c) Kundera's boss.
(d) Brezhnev's wife.
12. Why is Mirek driving to see Zdena?
(a) To retrieve some old love letters.
(b) To give her a present.
(c) To kill her.
(d) To ask her to marry him.
13. Who addresses the Czech people?
(a) Klement Gottwald.
14. After leaving the ring, what does Kundera do?
(a) He moves to the USSR.
(b) He defects to Britian.
(c) He wanders the streets outside of the rings of celebrants.
(d) He moves to Budapest.
15. What is happening to Mirek's house when he arrives?
(a) It is on fire.
(b) The police are searching it.
(c) It is surrounded by the militia.
(d) It is being remodeled.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Mirek leaves Zdena's place?
2. Who wrote RHINOCEROS?
3. Why do Michelle and Gabrielle start to cry?
4. What is Zdena's response?
5. Who is discussing the play "Rhinoceros" ?
This section contains 595 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)