|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the tone of the play RHINOCEROS?
(a) Religious fervor.
(b) Intense sexuality.
(c) Mockery and playfulness.
2. After leaving the ring, what does Kundera do?
(a) He moves to Budapest.
(b) He wanders the streets outside of the rings of celebrants.
(c) He defects to Britian.
(d) He moves to the USSR.
3. Why does Zdena urge Mirek to take this action?
(a) To save her political embarrassment.
(b) To save her social embarrassment.
(c) To find a home in a freer country.
(d) To save himself.
4. How do Karel and Eva conspire?
(a) To get Marketa to think that she wants to leave Karel.
(b) To get Marketa to allow his mother to live with them.
(c) To make it look as though Marketa is the first to meet Eva.
(d) To leave Marketa and take Karel and Marketa's life savings.
5. Who does Kundera watch in the ring?
6. Where does Kundera meet his former boss?
(a) At the wharf.
(b) In the underground tunnels near the square.
(c) At a secret apartment.
(d) At the fish market.
7. What does Mirek say about Zdena's age?
(a) That they are the same age.
(b) That she is much younger than he is.
(c) That she is older than he is.
(d) That she has never told him her age.
8. Who is discussing the play "Rhinoceros" ?
(a) Madame Raphael's political cell.
(b) No one.
(c) Madame Raphael's support group.
(d) Madame Raphael's class.
9. What does Kundera have the urge to do?
(a) To rape his former boss.
(b) Escape to another country.
(c) To kidnap his former boss.
(d) To kill his former boss.
10. What does Marketa ask Eva to do?
(a) Come another time.
(b) Talk to the director of the coop to stop the police searches.
(c) Pretend Eva is Marketa's cousin.
(d) Stay at the hotel near them.
11. When does Marketa begin to write her mother-in-law?
(a) She does not write her mother-in-law.
(b) When her mother-in-law begins to write Marketa.
(c) When they need money.
(d) When her mother-in-law's husband dies.
12. What does Mama start to doubt?
(a) Marketa's good will.
(b) Karel's truthfulness.
(c) Herself and her memories.
(d) Her sanity.
13. Why is Mirek driving to see Zdena?
(a) To kill her.
(b) To retrieve some old love letters.
(c) To give her a present.
(d) To ask her to marry him.
14. What is Klement Gottwald doing?
(a) Sliding down a mountain on skis.
(b) Stepping out on a balcony to make a speech.
(c) Escaping through the mountains.
15. What does Zdena urge Mirek to do?
(a) Leave the country.
(b) Reconcile with her.
(c) Get a job.
(d) Make a deal with his political party.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Kundera remember a number of historical events happening?
2. For what does Mirek ask Zdena?
3. What is happening to Mirek's house when he arrives?
4. What does Eva want?
5. Who arrives while the mother-in-law is still there?
This section contains 511 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)