|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Marketa do for the Easter weekend?
(a) Goes to church for the first time in many years.
(b) Invites her mother-in-law to visit.
(c) Goes to visit her mother-in-law.
(d) Goes to Paris.
2. Why does Mirek initially become involved with Zdena?
(a) She is confident and is going places.
(b) He thought she was terribly witty.
(c) He does not have the confidence to approach a beautiful woman.
(d) His mother and her mother are close friends.
3. For whom does Kundera give a personal astrological reading?
(a) A powerful Communist leader, Breznev.
(b) Kundera's boss.
(c) Khrushchev's wife.
(d) Brezhnev's wife.
4. What does Mama forget?
(a) The last line of the poem.
(b) To bring her toothbrush.
(c) To cook the pasta.
(d) To pack her pajamas.
5. What is revealed?
(a) Kundera's secret position as an editor of the political magazine.
(b) The corruption of the current regime.
(c) The hypocricy of the dancers.
(d) The plan to invade a neighboring country.
6. Why does Marketa begin to write her mother-in-law?
(a) There is no particular reason.
(b) Out of the need for money.
(c) To be polite and reply to her mother-in-law's letters.
(d) Out of sympathy.
7. What is Kundera hired to write for a political magazine?
(a) A vitrolic response to Voice of America.
(b) An astrology column.
(c) A political pundit column.
(d) The truth.
8. What happens to Mirek and his son?
(a) Mirek is sentenced to six years, his son gets two years.
(b) They are given house arrest.
(c) They are exiled from the country.
(d) The son is made to join the military and Mirek goes to prison.
9. What does Eva want?
(a) A feeling of family.
(b) She is not sure.
(c) Male attention and satisfaction.
(d) To explore her sexuality.
10. What was happening in 1948 in Kundera's life?
(a) He learns he has leukemia.
(b) He is involved in the political parties of his time and "danced in a ring."
(c) His wife dies in childbirth.
(d) He begins to doubt the efficacy of communism.
11. To whom does Marketa introduce Eva?
(b) Marketa's mother.
(c) Marketa's son.
(d) Marketa's sister.
12. What does Zdena urge Mirek to do?
(a) Leave the country.
(b) Make a deal with his political party.
(c) Reconcile with her.
(d) Get a job.
13. What is Mirek being followed?
(a) He stole the car he is driving.
(b) He is considered an enemy of the state.
(c) He has bodyguards in another car.
(d) Someone warns the police he is going to kill Zdena.
14. What happens to Mirek when he and Zdena break up?
(b) He marries someone else.
(c) Good things.
(d) Bad things.
15. When did Mama learn the poem?
(a) In college.
(b) She does not remember.
(c) In high school.
(d) When she is a young girl.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Kundera meet his former boss?
2. To what year does the story next flash forward?
3. When did Marketa dislike her mother-in-law?
4. What happens when Mirek leaves Zdena's place?
5. What does Mama later say about Eva?
This section contains 559 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)