|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to the person after the astrological reading?
(a) The person has Kundera arrested.
(b) The person commits suicide.
(c) The person becomes nicer and softer.
(d) The person defects to the West.
2. What are Eva, Karel and Marketa doing when Mama is in her room?
(a) Shooting darts.
(c) Singing karaoke.
(d) Playing cards.
3. To whom does Mirek lie about the reasons he becomes involved with Zdena?
(a) His other mistresses and friends.
(b) His mother.
(c) His boss.
(d) His brother and sister.
4. What is revealed?
(a) Kundera's secret position as an editor of the political magazine.
(b) The hypocricy of the dancers.
(c) The corruption of the current regime.
(d) The plan to invade a neighboring country.
5. What does Michelle and Gabrielle's laughter elicit?
(a) A hushing noise from another person.
(b) A more in-depth discussion of laughter.
(c) A slap from Sister Maria who is teaching the class.
(d) A grimace from Madame Raphael.
6. To whom does Marketa introduce Eva?
(a) Marketa's sister.
(b) Marketa's mother.
(c) Marketa's son.
7. What do Karel and Eva think is important to Marketa?
(a) To believe Eva is in love with her.
(b) That she be allowed to participate in the sexual relationship between Karel and Eva.
(c) To believe that Eva is more interested in her than in Karel.
(d) To believe that she is in control of the relationship between Karel and Eva.
8. Why is Mirek ashamed of Zdena?
(a) She has a loud, grating voice.
(b) She has bad table manners.
(c) She is ugly.
(d) She is uneducated.
9. How do Marketa and Eva get along at first?
(a) They are instantly friends.
(b) They feel competitive with each other.
(c) They don't think they like each other.
(d) They think the other one is too radical.
10. Why do Michelle and Gabrielle break out in laughter?
(a) Michelle just told Gabrielle a hilarious joke.
(b) They can't imagine Madame Raphael in bed with her husband.
(c) They think the political ideas espoused in the cell are sometimes ridiculous.
(d) They figure out the personal meaning of the play.
11. What is Mirek being followed?
(a) He has bodyguards in another car.
(b) Someone warns the police he is going to kill Zdena.
(c) He is considered an enemy of the state.
(d) He stole the car he is driving.
12. When did Mama learn the poem?
(a) When she is a young girl.
(b) She does not remember.
(c) In high school.
(d) In college.
13. Who does Kundera watch in the ring?
14. What will Clementis later be considered?
(a) A hero.
(b) A dictator.
(c) A traitor.
(d) A crackpot.
15. How does Mirek feel about Zdena's advice?
(a) He thinks it is bad advice.
(b) He has no opinion until he checks things out.
(c) He does not trust it.
(d) He thinks she is right and trusts her to tell him the truth.
Short Answer Questions
1. What year is it when the book opens?
2. What will happen to the record of Clementis' life?
3. What does Karel do on the phone?
4. Why does Mama get embarrassed?
5. What does Mama remember when they are all together?
This section contains 570 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)