Part I: Lost Letters
1. What year is it when the book opens?
2. What is Klement Gottwald doing?
(b) Sliding down a mountain on skis.
(c) Stepping out on a balcony to make a speech.
(d) Escaping through the mountains.
3. Who addresses the Czech people?
(d) Klement Gottwald.
4. Why does Clementis give Gottwald a fur cap?
(a) His head is bare and it is very cold.
(b) To make him look like Marketa.
(c) To make him look ridiculous.
(d) To conceal who he is.
5. What will Clementis later be considered?
(a) A traitor.
(b) A dictator.
(c) A hero.
(d) A crackpot.
6. What will happen to the record of Clementis' life?
(a) It will be expunged from history.
(b) It will be distorted.
(c) It will be made into a movie.
(d) It will be studied by every school child.
7. To what year does the story next flash forward?
8. Why is Mirek driving to see Zdena?
(a) To ask her to marry him.
(b) To give her a present.
(c) To kill her.
(d) To retrieve some old love letters.
This section contains 5,080 words
(approx. 17 pages at 300 words per page)