Part I: Lost Letters
1. What year is it when the book opens?
2. What is Klement Gottwald doing?
(a) Stepping out on a balcony to make a speech.
(b) Escaping through the mountains.
(d) Sliding down a mountain on skis.
3. Who addresses the Czech people?
(c) Klement Gottwald.
4. Why does Clementis give Gottwald a fur cap?
(a) To make him look like Marketa.
(b) To make him look ridiculous.
(c) To conceal who he is.
(d) His head is bare and it is very cold.
5. What will Clementis later be considered?
(a) A crackpot.
(b) A dictator.
(c) A hero.
(d) A traitor.
6. What will happen to the record of Clementis' life?
(a) It will be expunged from history.
(b) It will be made into a movie.
(c) It will be studied by every school child.
(d) It will be distorted.
7. To what year does the story next flash forward?
8. Why is Mirek driving to see Zdena?
(a) To retrieve some old love letters.
(b) To give her a present.
(c) To ask her to marry him.
(d) To kill her.
This section contains 5,080 words
(approx. 17 pages at 300 words per page)