Part I: Lost Letters
• The novel opens with in February, 1948, when Klement Gottwald steps out onto a balcony to address the Czech people below.
• Clementis gives Gottwald his fur cap since it is very cold. Clementis is later wiped from the history of the Czech people, but the image of the hat remains as a memory to him.
• The chapter then flashes forward to 1971 and a man named Mirek is driving to see Zdena, a woman that he had an affair with 25 years ago.
• Mirek is being followed since he is now considered an enemy of the state, a fact he is very aware of, but still persistently drives to meet this woman on the pretense that he wants his old love letters back from her.
• Mirek stops at a auto repair shop where he is received reluctantly but his auto is repaired.
• Kundera discusses a number...
This section contains 2,835 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)