|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Metaxas claim to have inspired Bonhoeffer and his fellow prisoners to hang on through their imprisonment in Buchenwald?
2. Which of the following does Metaxas not report to have been arrested on the same day as Bonhoeffer?
3. How does Metaxas explain that Bonhoeffer planned to escape from Tegel?
4. What does Metaxas cite as the first reason that Bonhoeffer joined the Abwehr?
5. How does Metaxas claim that Operation Flash got it's name?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did Hitler require the French to sign the instrument of surrender to Germany after Hitler had conquered them, according to Metaxas?
2. For what reason does Metaxas claim Bonhoeffer left London for Berlin?
3. Who does Metaxas claim to be the first person to recognize the chemistry between Maria von Wedemeyer and Bonhoeffer?
4. What was the most significant aspect of the relationship between Ruth von Kleist-Retzow and Bonhoeffer, according to Metaxas?
5. What are two reasons Metaxas cited that German generals would not join a coup against Hitler after the conquering of France?
6. Why did the Anschluss of Austria provide Hitler with wave of popular support in Germany, according to Metaxas?
7. What does Metaxas claim to be Bonhoeffer's attitude about the death he was facing at the hands of the Nazis?
8. What does Metaxas suggest to be the reason that Bonhoeffer's uncle, Paul von Hase, spent a five hour visit at Tegel Prison on June 30, 1944.
9. What does Metaxas define as the Godesberg Declaration?
10. What does Metaxas report of Hans von Wedemeyer that makes him unique?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
During his time in Rome, Bonhoeffer made several observations of the Catholic church that he carried into his theological vies and his involvement with the ecumenical movement. Choose two observations that Bonhoeffer made regarding Catholic worship and dogma that helped to shape Bonhoeffer's theological views. In your essay, demonstrate:
1. The cause-effect of the observation on Bonhoeffer's thinking.
2. How the two observations manifested themselves in Bonhoeffer's life and ministries.
Essay Topic 2
While Bonhoeffer was an associate pastor to Friedrich Olbricht, his intensity and expectations of Christians conflicted with Olbricht's approach to his flock. Identify an irreconcilable conflict that came of the different personalities and one thing that Bonhoeffer took from his time in Barcelona that affected his life's ministry. Detail how these items continued to affect his relationships, his ministries, and his theology throughout his life.
Essay Topic 3
How had Hitler's occupation of France turned back much of the animosity that had built up between him and his generals? Did the German public return to his support for the same reason? Give reasons that, in spite of the success of the German army in conquering France, that Christians in Germany should have held to their opposition against Hitler. Also provide reasons that they did not.
This section contains 956 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)