|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Metaxas claim Bonhoeffer's struggle with avoiding military service as Germany prepared for war proves regarding his thinking?
2. How does Metaxas explain the Nuremberg laws affected the Jews?
3. Why does Metaxas identify Bethge as an important figure for Bonhoeffer's legacy?
4. What was the last thing Bonhoeffer did with the prisoners with whom he was in transit before he was taken by the Gestapo to be executed?
5. What dramatic event greeted Bonhoeffer as 1938 was beginning, according to Metaxas?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the reasons that Metaxas cites that led Bonhoeffer to consider the assassination of Adolf Hitler to be necessary?
2. What did Metaxas report to be the event that led to the Kristallnacht?
3. Who does Metaxas claim to be the first person to recognize the chemistry between Maria von Wedemeyer and Bonhoeffer?
4. Why does Metaxas claim Bonhoeffer was arrested by the Gestapo?
5. What are two reasons Metaxas cited that German generals would not join a coup against Hitler after the conquering of France?
6. What does Metaxas report to be the response of every Norwegian Pastor after Bishop Berggrav was placed under house arrest?
7. Why had the original attempt to assassinate Hitler failed, according to Metaxas?
8. Why did the Gestapo begin to investigate those who were involved in Operation 7, according to Metaxas?
9. What does Metaxas report of Hans von Wedemeyer that makes him unique?
10. According to a quote by Oskar Hammelsbeck cited by Metaxas, how had Bonhoeffer's moral convictions and his view of guilt lead him to be involved with the conspiracy to assassinate Adolf Hitler?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Bonhoeffer family set models of respect, standards, expectations, and support that served Dietrich Bonhoeffer throughout his life. Detail examples from the book where each of the aforementioned qualities were implemented in Bonhoeffer's life, and explain how those served him as he came to face the decisions and consequences of being involved with conspiracies to overthrow Adolf Hitler.
Essay Topic 2
How had Hitler's occupation of France turned back much of the animosity that had built up between him and his generals? Did the German public return to his support for the same reason? Give reasons that, in spite of the success of the German army in conquering France, that Christians in Germany should have held to their opposition against Hitler. Also provide reasons that they did not.
Essay Topic 3
As the Nazis became more assertive over the affairs of the church, Bonhoeffer and Hermann Sasse constructed the Bethel Confession which Metaxas claims, "...was to spell out the true and historic Christian faith, which contrasted with Ludwig Muller's facile and inchoate "theology." Identify the main points of the confession and the its ultimate fate after it was circulated among Germany's top clergy. What were the motivations of various clergymen to act in the fashion they did to the language of the Confession? Were their action dedicated to the defense of Christianity? Why or why not?
This section contains 965 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)