|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What dramatic event greeted Bonhoeffer as 1938 was beginning, according to Metaxas?
2. What does Metaxas claim to have inspired Bonhoeffer and his fellow prisoners to hang on through their imprisonment in Buchenwald?
3. How does Metaxas explain that Bonhoeffer planned to escape from Tegel?
4. What does Metaxas claim that Bonhoeffer saw would destroy Germany after the defeat of France?
5. Why did Bonhoeffer communicate, in his essay "After Ten Years", that the conspiracy with which he was involved with Bethge, Dohnanyi and Oster, would fail, according to quotes used by Metaxas?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Metaxas claim to be Bonhoeffer's indication that the Gestapo was preparing to arrest him?
2. Why did the Anschluss of Austria provide Hitler with wave of popular support in Germany, according to Metaxas?
3. What does Metaxas report to be the response of every Norwegian Pastor after Bishop Berggrav was placed under house arrest?
4. Why does Metaxas claim Bonhoeffer was arrested by the Gestapo?
5. Who was Metaxas' source of most of the information regarding Bonhoeffer during his time at Buchenwald?
6. What are two reasons Metaxas cited that German generals would not join a coup against Hitler after the conquering of France?
7. For what reason does Metaxas claim Bonhoeffer left London for Berlin?
8. What does Metaxas identify as a major criticism that Bonhoeffer made of both the international ecumenical movement and the German Confessing Church?
9. What were the reasons that Metaxas cites that led Bonhoeffer to consider the assassination of Adolf Hitler to be necessary?
10. How did Bonhoeffer send coded messages to his family while was in captivity, according to Metaxas.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bonhoeffer's family played important roles throughout various times in his life. Choose a member of Bonhoeffer's immediate family (this can include the spouses of siblings) who played an important role in his life and had a significant influence on what Bonhoeffer's life and missions. Give the details of how this family member impacted Bonhoeffer's life, how the individual challenged Bonhoeffer's character or nurtured his development, and whether the individual was a positive or negative influence on Bonhoeffer's life generally.
Essay Topic 2
Upon arriving in America and beginning his studies here, Bonhoeffer made some very harsh criticisms of American theology students. Are Bonhoeffer's observations true to this day? If so, how are they demonstrated? If not, explain why he is mistaken and point out evidence from the time of Bonhoeffer's visit that makes his observations incorrect.
Essay Topic 3
Review the Bonhoeffer's inmates at Buchenwald. Detail how his relationship with them upheld his views of Christian leadership and the principles of inclusion that he pursued through the ecumenical movement.
This section contains 957 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)