|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was the plan to assassinate Hitler in Operation Flash not successful, according to Metaxas?
2. What does Metaxas suggest that Bonhoeffer meant by "religionless Christianity"?
3. Who does Metaxas report to be an inmate of Bonhoeffer who once performed brutal medical experiments on concentration camp prisoners?
4. What does Metaxas claim to have inspired Bonhoeffer and his fellow prisoners to hang on through their imprisonment in Buchenwald?
5. What does Metaxas claim to be Bonhoeffer's view of death?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Metaxas report to be the event that led to the Kristallnacht?
2. Why had the original attempt to assassinate Hitler failed, according to Metaxas?
3. Why did the Anschluss of Austria provide Hitler with wave of popular support in Germany, according to Metaxas?
4. What does Metaxas claim to be Bonhoeffer's attitude about the death he was facing at the hands of the Nazis?
5. Who does Metaxas claim the conspiracy was targeting for assassination besides Hitler?
6. Where did Hitler require the French to sign the instrument of surrender to Germany after Hitler had conquered them, according to Metaxas?
7. What does Metaxas report to be the response of every Norwegian Pastor after Bishop Berggrav was placed under house arrest?
8. What does Metaxas claim to be Bonhoeffer's indication that the Gestapo was preparing to arrest him?
9. How did Bonhoeffer send coded messages to his family while was in captivity, according to Metaxas.
10. What did Reichsbischof Mueller's arrest of the Lutheran Bishops of Werttemberg and Bavaria lead members of the Confessing Church to realize according to Metaxas?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As the Nazis became more assertive over the affairs of the church, Bonhoeffer and Hermann Sasse constructed the Bethel Confession which Metaxas claims, "...was to spell out the true and historic Christian faith, which contrasted with Ludwig Muller's facile and inchoate "theology." Identify the main points of the confession and the its ultimate fate after it was circulated among Germany's top clergy. What were the motivations of various clergymen to act in the fashion they did to the language of the Confession? Were their action dedicated to the defense of Christianity? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
As the Nazis began their agenda of persecution against Jews and various religious groups, conflicts arose in the church between who felt that the Nazis needed to be defied and others who felt they could be dealt with. Compare and contrast the two views and use information from the book that the sides used to support their position. Finally detail the consequences for choosing one of the two positions.
Essay Topic 3
Hitler passed the Nuremberg Laws that virtually eliminated the citizenship of Jews in Germany. Review the Nuremberg Law and explain how they eliminated Jewish citizenship. Detail the response of Bonhoeffer to the laws and how Christian leaders through Germany responded to Bonhoeffer. Why did the Christian leaders respond in the way they did?
This section contains 992 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)