|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What former theological nemesis of Bonhoeffer's does Metaxas report to have joined a conspiracy against Hitler?
2. What does Metaxas claim to be Bonhoeffer's view of death?
3. What event does Metaxas claim that Bonhoeffer saw Psalms 74 as being a direct communication from God regarding the situation in Germany?
4. Why did Bonhoeffer communicate, in his essay "After Ten Years", that the conspiracy with which he was involved with Bethge, Dohnanyi and Oster, would fail, according to quotes used by Metaxas?
5. What was Bonhoeffer's next destination after he traveled to Sweden to share information regarding the conspiracy against Hitler with Bishop George Bell, according to Metaxas.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Metaxas identify as a major criticism that Bonhoeffer made of both the international ecumenical movement and the German Confessing Church?
2. Why does Metaxas claim Bonhoeffer was arrested by the Gestapo?
3. Why did the Anschluss of Austria provide Hitler with wave of popular support in Germany, according to Metaxas?
4. How did Bonhoeffer send coded messages to his family while was in captivity, according to Metaxas.
5. Why did the Gestapo begin to investigate those who were involved in Operation 7, according to Metaxas?
6. Why had the original attempt to assassinate Hitler failed, according to Metaxas?
7. What did Reichsbischof Mueller's arrest of the Lutheran Bishops of Werttemberg and Bavaria lead members of the Confessing Church to realize according to Metaxas?
8. Who was Metaxas' source of most of the information regarding Bonhoeffer during his time at Buchenwald?
9. What does Metaxas claim to be Bonhoeffer's attitude about the death he was facing at the hands of the Nazis?
10. Where did Hitler require the French to sign the instrument of surrender to Germany after Hitler had conquered them, according to Metaxas?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Metaxas reported that Hitler was not "openly anti-Christian, as most of his top lieutenants were." He also suggested that he used his public pronouncements to engender support from Christians. Are there American politicians today who take a similar approach to Christians as did Hitler? Compare and contrast Hitler's courting of Christians to win political influence to the same of an American politician. Is either Hitler or the American politician justified for their insincerity? Who is really to blame for the practice, the politicians who make false statements to win public support, or Christians who are so easily mislead? Give support for your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Hitler passed the Nuremberg Laws that virtually eliminated the citizenship of Jews in Germany. Review the Nuremberg Law and explain how they eliminated Jewish citizenship. Detail the response of Bonhoeffer to the laws and how Christian leaders through Germany responded to Bonhoeffer. Why did the Christian leaders respond in the way they did?
Essay Topic 3
Upon entering Berlin, Bonhoeffer took exceptions with Adolf von Harnack's approach to theology and proceeded to debate Harnack's positions. Harnack, however, chose to invite Bonhoeffer to study under him during Harnack's final summer seminar and Bonhoeffer accepted the invitation. Explain how Bonhoeffer choosing to learn from people with whom he disagreed was a sign of his character that followed him through his life. Detail how this tendency affected his relationships, his ministries, and his persecution and eventual imprisonment.
This section contains 999 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)