|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Metaxas use for the information upon which he builds his book?
2. What does Metaxas claim to have set the mood of Britons regarding their attitude toward Germans?
3. According to Metaxas, after Bonhoeffer had returned to Germany from New York, how did he view theology?
4. Who taught Bonhoeffer's nanny, Kathe van Horn, Christian concepts that challenged Lutheran orthodoxies of the day?
5. Where was Bonhoeffer's memorial service, according to Metaxas?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Metaxas claim that meeting Karl Barth was important to Bonhoeffer?
2. What does Metaxas report happened to the German mark beginning in 1923?
3. What were the liberal theological ideas promoted by Adolf von Harnack with which Bonhoeffer disagreed, according to Metaxas?
4. What does Metaxas write to be the significance of the Nazi's burning the books of Erich Remarque?
5. How did Bonhoeffer characterize religion in a lecture given while he was an assistant pastor in Barcelona, according to Metaxas?
6. What does Metaxas identify as the Greek idea that Bonhoeffer considered to be "the most sever enemy" that Christianity ever had?
7. Why does Metaxas claim that the people of Germany were impatient with the Weimar Republic?
8. What marked the friendship between Bonhoeffer and Franz Reinhold Hildebrandt according to Metaxas?
9. What does Metaxas highlight from Harry Emerson Fosdick's Sermon, "Shall the Fundamentalists Win?"
10. What does Metaxas report to be the "Aryan Paragraph" that was enforced by the Nazi regime shortly after they took control of the German government.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bonhoeffer began challenging Nazi oppressions almost from the moment he returned to Germany from America. Compare and contrast Bonhoeffer's theological views, including his views of eucumenicalism, to those of Hitler and the Nazis and how the two separate theological views played themselves out in Bonhoeffer's life and during the Nazi regime in Germany.
Essay Topic 2
A significant political struggle took place over the office of the Reichsbischof (Reich Bishop) as an appointed commission of three bishops chose a bishop to preside over German churches not to Hitler's liking. Give a detailed report of the background of the Reichsbischof, why the Nazis were so desirous to have an individual in the position that supported their agenda, and how the Nazis finally took command over the situation.
Essay Topic 3
Think of yourself as being in the role of a church leader in Nazi Germany in 1934. You are being pressured by the government to accept various intrusions into your church, such as making your youth department part of the Hitler Youth, and taking loyalty oaths to the Nazi Party. Write how you would plan to respond and what steps you would take to prepare your church for your decision, then write the message you would deliver to your congregation telling them of your decision and informing them of the first steps they will need to take so you can lead your church toward where you feel it needs to go.
This section contains 894 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)