|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Metaxas report to be the name of the church wherein Bonhoeffer heard the preaching of Adam Clayton Powell, Sr.?
2. How does Metaxas report a member of Igel described Bonhoeffer?
3. Why did the opponents the group, "German Christians" consider the name to be oxymoronic?
4. How does Metaxas describe the mood of the people where Bonhoeffer was memorialized?
5. How did Bonhoeffer consider Christian opposition to Hitler's and the German Christian's manipulation of the church throughout the establishment of the Reichsbischof, according to Metaxas?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Metaxas suggest to be the motivation of Hitler's pro-Christian posturing as he was rising to power?
2. How does Metaxas suggest Bonhoeffer's relationships outside of Germany affected his view of the church?
3. What does Metaxas report to be the "Aryan Paragraph" that was enforced by the Nazi regime shortly after they took control of the German government.
4. For what was Bonhoeffer's maternal great-grandfather, Karl August von Hase, well known according to Metaxas?
5. How did the opponents to Reichbischof Muller's position consider the term "German Christians" to be oxymoronic?
6. What important church leader does Metaxas report to have come into Bonhoeffer's life while he was involved in his ministry in London?
7. How does Metaxas claim that Karl Barth influenced Bonhoeffer's theological approach?
8. How does Metaxas record the German Reich came into existence?
9. What does Metaxas claim to have been the make-up of Bonhoeffer's confirmation class in Wedding?
10. What event during Bonhoeffer's trip to Rome does Metaxas suggest to have begun developing Bonhoeffer's understanding of the concept of "church"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Upon entering Berlin, Bonhoeffer took exceptions with Adolf von Harnack's approach to theology and proceeded to debate Harnack's positions. Harnack, however, chose to invite Bonhoeffer to study under him during Harnack's final summer seminar and Bonhoeffer accepted the invitation. Explain how Bonhoeffer choosing to learn from people with whom he disagreed was a sign of his character that followed him through his life. Detail how this tendency affected his relationships, his ministries, and his persecution and eventual imprisonment.
Essay Topic 2
When Bonhoeffer returned to Berlin after his year in Barcelona and another year in America, he found the Nazis were asserting themselves over every aspect of the German culture. Examine the book for reasons that Hitler and the Nazis became so appealing to Germany. Identify some of the difficulties that came to Germany due to the Treaty of Versailles as they are detailed in the book and even from sources outside of the book. Use these to help to explain Hitler's rise to power.
Essay Topic 3
The Bonhoeffer family set models of respect, standards, expectations, and support that served Dietrich Bonhoeffer throughout his life. Detail examples from the book where each of the aforementioned qualities were implemented in Bonhoeffer's life, and explain how those served him as he came to face the decisions and consequences of being involved with conspiracies to overthrow Adolf Hitler.
This section contains 931 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)