|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Metaxas report to be the focus of Bonhoeffer's speech, "The Younger Generation's Altered Concept of Leadership", that he gave two days after Adolf Hitler was elected Chancellor of Germany?
2. What does Metaxas report to be Bonhoeffer's negotiating advantage during his time leading two congregations in London?
3. From whom does Metaxas report that Bonhoeffer's mother, Clara von Hase, took piano lessons?.
4. Why did the opponents the group, "German Christians" consider the name to be oxymoronic?
5. What does Metaxas report to be the occupations of Bonhoeffer's parents?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the reason Metaxas gives for why the German church willingly capitulated to the demands of Adolf Hitler during the 1930's?
2. For what was Bonhoeffer's maternal great-grandfather, Karl August von Hase, well known according to Metaxas?
3. How does Metaxas suggest Bonhoeffer's relationships outside of Germany affected his view of the church?
4. For what was Bonhoeffer's father, Karl Bonhoeffer, internationally renowned, according to Metaxas?
5. How did Bonhoeffer characterize religion in a lecture given while he was an assistant pastor in Barcelona, according to Metaxas?
6. Why does Metaxas lament Martin Luther's late-in-life anti-Semitic comments?
7. How does Metaxas explain how the movie "All Quiet on the Western Front" affected Bonhoeffer?
8. What event during Bonhoeffer's trip to Rome does Metaxas suggest to have begun developing Bonhoeffer's understanding of the concept of "church"?
9. What does Metaxas claim to be Hitler's goal in establishing the office of Reichsbischof (Reich bishop) over the church?
10. What does Metaxas write to be the significance of the Nazi's burning the books of Erich Remarque?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Upon entering Berlin, Bonhoeffer took exceptions with Adolf von Harnack's approach to theology and proceeded to debate Harnack's positions. Harnack, however, chose to invite Bonhoeffer to study under him during Harnack's final summer seminar and Bonhoeffer accepted the invitation. Explain how Bonhoeffer choosing to learn from people with whom he disagreed was a sign of his character that followed him through his life. Detail how this tendency affected his relationships, his ministries, and his persecution and eventual imprisonment.
Essay Topic 2
A significant political struggle took place over the office of the Reichsbischof (Reich Bishop) as an appointed commission of three bishops chose a bishop to preside over German churches not to Hitler's liking. Give a detailed report of the background of the Reichsbischof, why the Nazis were so desirous to have an individual in the position that supported their agenda, and how the Nazis finally took command over the situation.
Essay Topic 3
The Bonhoeffer family set models of respect, standards, expectations, and support that served Dietrich Bonhoeffer throughout his life. Detail examples from the book where each of the aforementioned qualities were implemented in Bonhoeffer's life, and explain how those served him as he came to face the decisions and consequences of being involved with conspiracies to overthrow Adolf Hitler.
This section contains 909 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)