|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Metaxas detail to have prevented the bomb that Stauffenberg detonated from killing Hitler?
(a) A socle.
(b) The Gestapo had Stauffenberg arrested before he could carry out his plot.
(c) The fuses did not detonate.
(d) Hitler chose to leave the room.
2. What did Bonhoeffer claim to be the two main questions that young theologians brought to him in a letter to Karl Barth that was cited by Metaxas?
(a) What should be our view toward the Jews? Aren't we to honor the government since it was ordained by God?
(b) How do I minister the Gospel under the opposition of the government? How do I protect my flock from the government?
(c) How do I learn to pray? How do I learn to read the Bible?
(d) Should we strive to work within the government to change those practices that are immoral? Aren't we as Christians to humbly submit to the governing authority?
3. Why does Metaxas identify Bethge as an important figure for Bonhoeffer's legacy?
(a) Bethge would keep very close contact with Bonhoeffer during his time in prison.
(b) Bethge would preserve many of Bonhoeffer's writings and distribute them through the world.
(c) Bethge would pick up Bonhoeffer's ministry after he was sent to prison.
(d) Bonhoeffer would confide in Bethge about some of his bouts with depression.
4. On the day that Bonhoeffer was arrested, what does Metaxas report Maria had written to Bonhoeffer in her diary?
(a) "When you laughed and told me not to worry, I knew all at once that it wasn't true., what grandmother had said,..."
(b) "I can' go on like this. I have to know--are you really in danger?"
(c) "Has something bad happened? I'm afraid it's something very bad."
(d) "Can you still remember every word we exchanged?"
5. When does Metaxas record Maria learned of Bonhoeffer's arrest?
(a) Two days later when the Gestapo showed up at her house to question her about her relationship with Bonhoeffer.
(b) 13 days after it had happened.
(c) April 20.
(d) April 5.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Metaxas cite as the main reason that Bonhoeffer's treatment at Tegel was not as severe as it could have been?
2. How does Metaxas explain the Nuremberg laws affected the Jews?
3. According to a letter cited by Metaxas, what aspect of prison life was an enrichment of his life's experience?
4. How did the Treaty of Versailles play a role in protecting Hitler from a coup, according to Metaxas?
5. What does Metaxas suggest that Bonhoeffer meant by "religionless Christianity"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Metaxas report to be the response of every Norwegian Pastor after Bishop Berggrav was placed under house arrest?
2. Who does Metaxas claim the conspiracy was targeting for assassination besides Hitler?
3. Why had the original attempt to assassinate Hitler failed, according to Metaxas?
4. What does Metaxas claim to be Bonhoeffer's indication that the Gestapo was preparing to arrest him?
5. Where did Hitler require the French to sign the instrument of surrender to Germany after Hitler had conquered them, according to Metaxas?
6. What were the reasons that Metaxas cites that led Bonhoeffer to consider the assassination of Adolf Hitler to be necessary?
7. What was the most significant aspect of the relationship between Ruth von Kleist-Retzow and Bonhoeffer, according to Metaxas?
8. What does Metaxas define as the Godesberg Declaration?
9. How did Bonhoeffer send coded messages to his family while was in captivity, according to Metaxas.
10. What did Metaxas report to be the event that led to the Kristallnacht?
This section contains 1,139 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)