|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Metaxas detail to have prevented the bomb that Stauffenberg detonated from killing Hitler?
(a) Hitler chose to leave the room.
(b) The fuses did not detonate.
(c) A socle.
(d) The Gestapo had Stauffenberg arrested before he could carry out his plot.
2. What was the last thing Bonhoeffer did with the prisoners with whom he was in transit before he was taken by the Gestapo to be executed?
(a) He shared some potato salad and coffee with his fellow inmates.
(b) He went to bed for the first time in three months.
(c) He performed a worship service on Quasimodo Sunday (the first Sunday after Easter).
(d) He had gone into his daily Bible verse meditation.
3. What reason did Metaxas give for the Bonhoeffer family's ability to escape scrutiny even though it was deeply involved in seditious activities?
(a) Their intelligence allowed them to communicate on several levels and get a precise message to an intended target.
(b) They were wealthy enough to bribe officials that were investigating them.
(c) The Bonhoeffer's had connections throughout government that would overlook what they were doing.
(d) All of them were very skilled at "playing dumb".
4. How does Metaxas claim that Operation Flash got it's name?
(a) It was a plan to put a suicide bomber in a meeting with Hitler.
(b) It was a plan to set fire to Hitler's home.
(c) It got it's name because they had planned to have a sniper shoot Hitler when a spotlight came on him during a Nazi rally.
(d) Because it was a plan to blow up Hitler's plane while he was being flown over Minsk.
5. What speculation does Metaxas offer for the reason that the British government would not encourage German conspiracies to assassinate Hitler?
(a) Churchill wanted to mollify Stalin.
(b) Churchill was preoccupied with capturing and trying Hitler.
(c) Churchill wanted the credit of killing Hitler to go to a British scheme.
(d) Churchill did not believe that a German conspiracy could be successful.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why didn't the suicide plan involving Major Rudolf-Christoph von Gersdorff to kill Hitler with bombs hiding in Gersdorff's overcoat while Hitler attended a Hero's Memorial Day, according to Metaxas?
2. How does Metaxas indicate that Churchill harmed the conspiracy against Hitler?
3. What does Metaxas claim Bonhoeffer's struggle with avoiding military service as Germany prepared for war proves regarding his thinking?
4. What event does Metaxas claim that Bonhoeffer saw Psalms 74 as being a direct communication from God regarding the situation in Germany?
5. How does Metaxas report that Bonhoeffer was discovered to be involved in Operation 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Metaxas suggest to be the reason that Bonhoeffer's uncle, Paul von Hase, spent a five hour visit at Tegel Prison on June 30, 1944.
2. How does Metaxas claim Dohnanyi and Bonhoeffer tried to fool the Gestapo with letters between them while they were in captivity.
3. Why did the Gestapo begin to investigate those who were involved in Operation 7, according to Metaxas?
4. What does Metaxas identify as a major criticism that Bonhoeffer made of both the international ecumenical movement and the German Confessing Church?
5. What was the most significant aspect of the relationship between Ruth von Kleist-Retzow and Bonhoeffer, according to Metaxas?
6. What does Metaxas report to be the response of every Norwegian Pastor after Bishop Berggrav was placed under house arrest?
7. Where did Hitler require the French to sign the instrument of surrender to Germany after Hitler had conquered them, according to Metaxas?
8. Who does Metaxas claim to be the first person to recognize the chemistry between Maria von Wedemeyer and Bonhoeffer?
9. Why did the Anschluss of Austria provide Hitler with wave of popular support in Germany, according to Metaxas?
10. What did Reichsbischof Mueller's arrest of the Lutheran Bishops of Werttemberg and Bavaria lead members of the Confessing Church to realize according to Metaxas?
This section contains 1,083 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)