|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was the plan to assassinate Hitler in Operation Flash not successful, according to Metaxas?
(a) The fuses did not detonate the bombs.
(b) The suicide bomber who was to execute the plan lost his nerve.
(c) Hitler was protected by an armor barrier that protected him from explosions.
(d) Hitler changed his plans and was not present when the conspirators thought he would be.
2. For what reason does Metaxas claim Bonhoeffer left London for Berlin?
(a) Because he felt the need to pick up his opposition to Hitler in his homeland.
(b) Because the Foreign Ministry of the Government had ordered him home.
(c) To report for duty as the imminent head of the first seminary in the Confessing Church.
(d) To organize his associated in the Confessing Church for a more effective stand against the Nazis.
3. What does Metaxas claim to have inspired Bonhoeffer and his fellow prisoners to hang on through their imprisonment in Buchenwald?
(a) The knowledge that any moment might bring their liberation or their deaths.
(b) The willingness of all the prisoners to cooperate to try to find their way of escape.
(c) The hymns that Bonhoeffer gently sang.
(d) The presence of Bonhoeffer's quiet courage.
4. What does Metaxas report to be the meaning of the officials at Flossenburg telling the prisoners being transferred from Buchenwald that the camp was "too full" to receive them?
(a) That they were backlogged on executions and they would have to wait in another location until they could be "processed".
(b) The camp had been converted to a receiving center for refugees fleeing allied bombing.
(c) The winding down of the war meant the Germans were not wasting resources and time on political executions.
(d) That those prisoners were not marked for death as the only purpose for Flossenburg was to execute prisoners.
5. What was Bonhoeffer's next destination after he traveled to Sweden to share information regarding the conspiracy against Hitler with Bishop George Bell, according to Metaxas.
(a) Norway to lend support to actions taken by Norwegian bishops.
(b) He was ordered to Berlin for a meeting with Theodor Heckel.
(c) To visit his friend Ruth von Kleist-Retzow.
(d) He returned to Berlin to get an update on the Kreisau Circle.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Metaxas claim that Bonhoeffer saw would destroy Germany after the defeat of France?
2. What relationship did Bonhoeffer have with Maria von Wedemeyer before he had seen her while visiting her grandmother?
3. What reservations does Metaxas claim Maria's sister and her husband had regarding Bonhoeffer?
4. What does Metaxas claim to be a motivation for Bonhoeffer's letter writing style while he was in prison?
5. How did the commissar order revitalize the conspiracy to overthrow Hitler?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Metaxas suggest to be the reason that Bonhoeffer's uncle, Paul von Hase, spent a five hour visit at Tegel Prison on June 30, 1944.
2. What are two reasons Metaxas cited that German generals would not join a coup against Hitler after the conquering of France?
3. What does Metaxas claim to be Bonhoeffer's attitude about the death he was facing at the hands of the Nazis?
4. What does Metaxas define as the Godesberg Declaration?
5. What was the most significant aspect of the relationship between Ruth von Kleist-Retzow and Bonhoeffer, according to Metaxas?
6. What were the reasons that Metaxas cites that led Bonhoeffer to consider the assassination of Adolf Hitler to be necessary?
7. What did Reichsbischof Mueller's arrest of the Lutheran Bishops of Werttemberg and Bavaria lead members of the Confessing Church to realize according to Metaxas?
8. What does Metaxas claim to be Bonhoeffer's indication that the Gestapo was preparing to arrest him?
9. Who was Metaxas' source of most of the information regarding Bonhoeffer during his time at Buchenwald?
10. How did Bonhoeffer send coded messages to his family while was in captivity, according to Metaxas.
This section contains 1,164 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)