|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Metaxas claim to have set the mood of Britons regarding their attitude toward Germans?
(a) A Desire of all Britons to put the ware behind them and restore international relations.
(b) Emotional duress caused by the loss of so many loved ones during the war.
(c) A government propaganda campaign that vilified all Germans for the sake of winning WWII.
(d) National exhaustion after fighting such a long and violent war.
2. What threat did Theodor Heckel make against Bonhoeffer to make him stop his attempts to oppose the German church from England?
(a) Heckel implied that Bonhoeffer's activities with non-German church leaders were considered treasonous.
(b) Heckel said that if Bonhoeffer returned he could be put in a concentration camp.
(c) Heckel pointed out that the government knew where Bonhoeffer's family lived.
(d) Heckel said that he could use his position to have his degrees rescinded.
3. How does Metaxas claim the movie "All Quiet on the Western Front" affected Bonhoeffer?
(a) It caused him to rethink his thoughts about the French.
(b) It influenced him to become a pacifist.
(c) It made him suspicious of Jewish film makers.
(d) It led him to believe that children should not be allowed into serious movies.
4. What does status does Metaxas claim Bonhoeffer attained upon his death?
(a) Traitor legacy.
5. What question regarding the reformation became increasingly important to Bonhoeffer as the Nazis became increasingly demanding of the Lutheran church?
(a) Did the reformation go wrong by moving from a sect to a church.
(b) Did Christianity have too close of a relationship with pagan culture when the catholic church became officially recognized.
(c) Why does God allow bad things to happen to good people?
(d) Can there really be a separation of church and state?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who taught Bonhoeffer's nanny, Kathe van Horn, Christian concepts that challenged Lutheran orthodoxies of the day?
2. What does Metaxas claim annoyed Hitler regarding Christian teaching?
3. How did Bonhoeffer deal with the conduct of the students in Wedding?
4. What theological battle was being waged when Bonhoeffer arrived in America, according to Metaxas?
5. What does Metaxas report Bonhoeffer found when he visited Friedrich von Bodelschwing's Bethel community in Bielefeld?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Metaxas lament Martin Luther's late-in-life anti-Semitic comments?
2. What was a criticism of Bonhoeffer's regarding the communal living of American seminary students that was cited by Metaxas?
3. What does Metaxas claim to be Hitler's goal in establishing the office of Reichsbischof (Reich bishop) over the church?
4. How does Metaxas explain how the movie "All Quiet on the Western Front" affected Bonhoeffer?
5. How does Metaxas claim that Karl Barth influenced Bonhoeffer's theological approach?
6. What does Metaxas highlight from Harry Emerson Fosdick's Sermon, "Shall the Fundamentalists Win?"
7. What is the reason Metaxas gives for why the German church willingly capitulated to the demands of Adolf Hitler during the 1930's?
8. For what was Bonhoeffer's father, Karl Bonhoeffer, internationally renowned, according to Metaxas?
9. What does Metaxas identify as the Greek idea that Bonhoeffer considered to be "the most sever enemy" that Christianity ever had?
10. What does Metaxas claim to have been the make-up of Bonhoeffer's confirmation class in Wedding?
This section contains 936 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)