|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While Bonhoeffer was in London, who does Metaxas identify as the church leader who became his most important contact in the ecumenical movement?
(a) Karl Barth.
(b) Erwin Sutz.
(c) George Bell.
(d) Franz Hildebrandt.
2. How did the German Pastor's Emergency League respond to Reichsbischof Ludwig Muller's attempt to prevent it from meeting in synod by closing the Berlin Cathedral, according to Metaxas?
(a) They held their synod in the courtyard adjacent to the Cathedral.
(b) They asked Bonhoeffer to separate his congregations from the official German church.
(c) They asked for international observation of Nazi involvement in church affairs.
(d) They signed a petition expressing their disagreement.
3. How does Metaxas claim Hitler viewed Christianity and the church?
(a) Hitler viewed the church pragmatically and appealed to it to gain power.
(b) Hitler was a faithful Catholic and encouraged members of his entourage to remain active in their congregations.
(c) Hitler was ambivalent to the church and focused only on his political fortunes.
(d) Hitler viewed the church as a barrier to his power and attempted to have it destroyed.
4. How did Bonhoeffer characterize German emigres in Barcelona, according to a quote used by Metaxas?
(a) Informed and eager for news from home.
(b) Materialistic and not intellectual.
(c) Lonely and disconnected.
(d) Detached and suspicious.
5. How did Bonhoeffer deal with the conduct of the students in Wedding?
(a) He ignored their antics with the realization his time there would be brief.
(b) He would drill them relentlessly with the strong-armed disciplinary tactics as his father.
(c) He patiently waited for them to become calm and then he would quietly tell them Bible stories.
(d) He gained the assistance of some of his friends who were in ministry to split the group into more manageable groups.
Short Answer Questions
1. What choice did Bonhoeffer explain that the German church faced in a letter to Bishop Ammundsen, cited by Metaxas, regarding the ecumenical conference in Fano?
2. Who does Metaxas report Bonhoeffer's first love to be?
3. What does Metaxas report to be the subject of Bonhoeffer's first sermon in Barcelona?
4. What does Metaxas claim to have set the mood of Britons regarding their attitude toward Germans?
5. What does Metaxas report to be the occupations of Bonhoeffer's parents?
Short Essay Questions
1. What marked the friendship between Bonhoeffer and Franz Reinhold Hildebrandt according to Metaxas?
2. Why does Metaxas lament Martin Luther's late-in-life anti-Semitic comments?
3. What does Metaxas report happened to the German mark beginning in 1923?
4. Who does Metaxas claim to have inspired Bonhoeffer to desire to travel to Rome?
5. How did the opponents to Reichbischof Muller's position consider the term "German Christians" to be oxymoronic?
6. How did Bonhoeffer's parents hear of his death, according to Metaxas?
7. According to Metaxas, why was Reformation Sunday an important celebration for churches in Germany?
8. What does Metaxas report to be the "Night of the Long Knives"?
9. What does Metaxas write to be the significance of the Nazi's burning the books of Erich Remarque?
10. What important church leader does Metaxas report to have come into Bonhoeffer's life while he was involved in his ministry in London?
This section contains 908 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)