|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Metaxas claim the movie "All Quiet on the Western Front" affected Bonhoeffer?
(a) It led him to believe that children should not be allowed into serious movies.
(b) It influenced him to become a pacifist.
(c) It made him suspicious of Jewish film makers.
(d) It caused him to rethink his thoughts about the French.
2. Why does Metaxas claim Reformation Sunday is a patriotic holiday in Germany?
(a) It is the day that the Germanic tribes agreed to come together as a single nation.
(b) It was the day the Nazis took control of the Reichstag.
(c) It celebrates Martin Luther and the cultural heritage of the Reformation.
(d) It is the day that the Reformation was recognized by the Catholic Church.
3. What does Metaxas report to be the focus of Bonhoeffer's speech, "The Younger Generation's Altered Concept of Leadership", that he gave two days after Adolf Hitler was elected Chancellor of Germany?
(a) Bonhoeffer was giving a philosophical dissent with a popular, decades old, concept, the Fuhrer Principle, that promoted the belief that Germany needed a strong central leader.
(b) Bonhoeffer was providing a Biblical analysis of Hitler's election.
(c) Bonhoeffer was giving a Christian rebuttal to the election of Hitler.
(d) Bonhoeffer was alerting his listeners of the dangers of Hitler.
4. According to Metaxas, after Bonhoeffer had returned to Germany from New York, how did he view theology?
(a) He believed that theology was the basis by which the Bible should be studied.
(b) He believed that theology was what separated Christians from pagans.
(c) He believed that theology was to be protected from the Nazis.
(d) He believed that theology must lead to the practical aspects of how to live as a Christian.
5. Who taught Bonhoeffer's nanny, Kathe van Horn, Christian concepts that challenged Lutheran orthodoxies of the day?
(a) Martin Luther.
(b) She taught herself.
(c) Count Zinzendorf.
(d) John Calvin.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Metaxas report a member of Igel described Bonhoeffer?
2. Why does Metaxas claim Bonhoeffer did not marry his first love?
3. What theological battle was being waged when Bonhoeffer arrived in America, according to Metaxas?
4. What threat did Theodor Heckel make against Bonhoeffer to make him stop his attempts to oppose the German church from England?
5. How did Bonhoeffer characterize German emigres in Barcelona, according to a quote used by Metaxas?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Metaxas explain how the movie "All Quiet on the Western Front" affected Bonhoeffer?
2. What was a criticism of Bonhoeffer's regarding the communal living of American seminary students that was cited by Metaxas?
3. What were the liberal theological ideas promoted by Adolf von Harnack with which Bonhoeffer disagreed, according to Metaxas?
4. According to Metaxas, why was Reformation Sunday an important celebration for churches in Germany?
5. How does Metaxas claim that Bonhoeffer suggested Christians' treatment of Christ while he was in Barcelona?
6. What does Metaxas report to be Churchill's response to conspiracies to assassinate Adolf Hitler seeking allied support?
7. What does Metaxas claim to be Bonhoeffer's goal in writing the Bethel Confession?
8. What challenge did Bonhoeffer raise in his letter to Bishop Ammundsen, cited by Metaxas, regarding the ecumenical meeting in Fano?
9. What important church leader does Metaxas report to have come into Bonhoeffer's life while he was involved in his ministry in London?
10. How does Metaxas paraphrase Martin Luther to explain that faith in the Gospel affects individual lives?
This section contains 967 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)