|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What theological battle was being waged when Bonhoeffer arrived in America, according to Metaxas?
(a) A battle between creationists and evolutionists.
(b) A battle between liberals and fundamentalists.
(c) A battle between Catholics and Protestants.
(d) A battle between Calvinists and Armenians.
2. According to Metaxas, to what did ideas and beliefs have to relate before Bonhoeffer would consider them worthwhile?
(a) The world of reality outside one's mind.
(b) The Bible.
(c) The universal catholic church.
(d) The observations of great historians.
3. What choice did Bonhoeffer explain that the German church faced in a letter to Bishop Ammundsen, cited by Metaxas, regarding the ecumenical conference in Fano?
(a) The German church faced the choice of defending their faith or compromising it.
(b) The German church faced the choice of being free or slave.
(c) The German church faced the choice of either being Christian or National Socialist.
(d) The German church faced the choice of being at peace or at war.
4. Of what nation does Metaxas report Bonhoeffer to be a citizen?
5. What is the one area in which Bonhoeffer's father saw a relationship with the work of his son, according to a letter cited by Metaxas?
(a) He had to depend on hard reason rather than emotions to get him through the challenges.
(b) He had to depend on what was taught him as a child to deal with the problems as an adult.
(c) He learned that he could only deal with problems if he separated himself emotionally from them.
(d) He had discovered that living relationships to human beings and the possibility of meaning something to them was more important than the professional obligations.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the German Pastor's Emergency League respond to Reichsbischof Ludwig Muller's attempt to prevent it from meeting in synod by closing the Berlin Cathedral, according to Metaxas?
2. What was Bonhoeffer's view of philosophy, according to Metaxas?
3. How does Metaxas claim the Reigchstag Fire Edict empowered the Nazis over Germany?
4. Who was accused of burning down the Reichstag, according to Metaxas?
5. Of the students with whom Bonhoeffer socialized while in New York, which does Metaxas claim had the greatest influence?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Metaxas explain how the movie "All Quiet on the Western Front" affected Bonhoeffer?
2. Why does Metaxas suggest that Bonhoeffer was willing to accept pastoral work in England from the Third Reich's Theodor Heckel in the Church Foreign Office?
3. What does Metaxas claim to be Bonhoeffer's goal in writing the Bethel Confession?
4. How did Bonhoeffer characterize religion in a lecture given while he was an assistant pastor in Barcelona, according to Metaxas?
5. According to Metaxas, why was Reformation Sunday an important celebration for churches in Germany?
6. What is the reason Metaxas gives for why the German church willingly capitulated to the demands of Adolf Hitler during the 1930's?
7. What does Metaxas suggest to be the motivation of Hitler's pro-Christian posturing as he was rising to power?
8. How does Metaxas record the German Reich came into existence?
9. What event during Bonhoeffer's trip to Rome does Metaxas suggest to have begun developing Bonhoeffer's understanding of the concept of "church"?
10. How does Metaxas paraphrase Martin Luther to explain that faith in the Gospel affects individual lives?
This section contains 926 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)