|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Metaxas report to be the professor who became the greatest influence over Bonhoeffer's life?
(a) Adolf von Harnack.
(b) Adolf Deissman.
(c) Karl Barth.
(d) Karl Holl.
2. How does Metaxas indicate Deutsche Hilfsverein affected Bonhoeffer?
(a) He learned how Germany was influencing the governments and cultures of other countries.
(b) He saw how people whose businesses failed and those who were caught in poverty or crime lived.
(c) It helped him with the realization of how his German heritage would direct his life.
(d) He saw the terrible nature of Nazi anti-semitism.
3. Upon what does Metaxas focus "Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy" upon?
(a) Bonhoeffer's clandestine connections that brought him to be involved in the plot to assassinate Adolph Hitler.
(b) Bonhoeffer's theological training.
(c) Bonhoeffer's evolving personal relationships.
(d) Bonhoeffer's determination to understand and live God's will.
4. How does Metaxas describe the "Thursday Circle"?
(a) A study group with which he met as he worked through his doctorate.
(b) The children in his Sunday school class who would come to his house.
(c) A discussion group of young men Bohnoeffer personally selected.
(d) A group of friends who gathered at 14 Wangenheimstrasse.
5. What does Metaxas report to be Bonhoeffer's negotiating advantage during his time leading two congregations in London?
(a) He could train young Germans in the biblical heritage of the church and send them to Germany to challenge the German Christians.
(b) He could have free communications with the ecumenical movement around the world and bring them to pressure Nazi intrusions in church affairs.
(c) He could separate the German churches in England from the official German church and harm Germany's international reputation.
(d) He could communicate Nazi demands around the world and expose their true intentions.
6. What were the two reasons Metaxas cites that Bonhoeffer decided to lead two German congregations in London?
(a) To participate in honest "parish work" and to separate from the church struggles in Germany to gain perspective on the bigger picture.
(b) To practically apply what he had learned of ministry and to prepare to become a German ex-patriot as the Nazis continued to absorb power.
(c) To minister freely without Nazi intrusions and to restore his energy for challenges in Germany that he knew were to come.
(d) To inform England of the turmoil coming to Germany and to safely lead a church insurrection from outside of Germany.
7. What choice did Bonhoeffer explain that the German church faced in a letter to Bishop Ammundsen, cited by Metaxas, regarding the ecumenical conference in Fano?
(a) The German church faced the choice of either being Christian or National Socialist.
(b) The German church faced the choice of being free or slave.
(c) The German church faced the choice of being at peace or at war.
(d) The German church faced the choice of defending their faith or compromising it.
8. How did Bonhoeffer characterize German emigres in Barcelona, according to a quote used by Metaxas?
(a) Materialistic and not intellectual.
(b) Informed and eager for news from home.
(c) Detached and suspicious.
(d) Lonely and disconnected.
9. How did Bonhoeffer characterize his decision to go to Barcelona, according to Metaxas?
(a) "I made my decision based upon what was best for me and Elizabeth (Zinn)."
(b) "In spite of the protests of my parents, I decided this venture was where I was being led."
(c) "It happened that I went."
(d) "After much council and fervent prayer, I made the decision that changed my life."
10. What does Metaxas report to be Bonhoeffer's first ministry?
(a) Teaching and preaching to a youth Sunday school class in the Grunewald parish.
(b) 14 Wangenheimstrasse.
(c) The Thursday Circle.
(d) The associate pastorship in Barcelona.
11. What does Metaxas claim to have given Bonhoeffer any value during his trip to New York?
(a) The casual attitudes of seminary students.
(b) The socially focused church activities.
(c) Negro Churches.
(d) The open debate regarding social issues.
12. What are three Freedoms that Bishop George Bell asked in the Name of the Gospel for Christians in the German Church?
(a) Freedom to peach the Gospel of Jesus Christ, Freedom of the printed word and assembly, Freedom of the Church to instruct its youth in the principles of Christianity.
(b) Freedom to preach the Gospel of Jesus Christ, Freedom of assembly, and Freedom of dissent with the government.ospel for Christians in the German Church?
(c) Freedom to stand on biblical doctrine, Freedom of dissent with the government, and Freedom to instruct its youth the principles of Christianity.
(d) Freedom of speech, press, and assembly.
13. What does Metaxas point out to be the motivation of Luther's condemnations of the Jews that he wrote late in his life?
(a) They were motivated by their aloofness to general European society.
(b) They were motivated by their economic self sufficiency.
(c) They were motivated by the Jews indifference to his efforts to convert them to Christianity.
(d) They were motivated by their racial differences to europeans.
14. What was the date of Bonhoeffer's death, according to Metaxas?
(a) May 8, 1945.
(b) July 27, 1945.
(c) August 15, 1945.
(d) April 9, 1945.
15. What question regarding the reformation became increasingly important to Bonhoeffer as the Nazis became increasingly demanding of the Lutheran church?
(a) Can there really be a separation of church and state?
(b) Did Christianity have too close of a relationship with pagan culture when the catholic church became officially recognized.
(c) Why does God allow bad things to happen to good people?
(d) Did the reformation go wrong by moving from a sect to a church.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was accused of burning down the Reichstag, according to Metaxas?
2. What interests did Bonhoeffer's mother pass to her daughter?
3. What does Metaxas claim to have been a positive consequence of Bonhoeffer's Memorial service being held in England?
4. What were the three conclusions that Bonhoeffer announced in his address, "The Church and the Jewish Question", in rebuttal to the "Aryan Paragraph"?
5. How did Henry Smithe Lieper explain how Bonhoeffer was different from his pastoral peers in Germany, according to Metaxas?
This section contains 1,194 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)