|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what did Bonhoeffer compare a crowd at a bullfight, according to Metaxas?
(a) The anger that his father would display when he was displeased with his actions.
(b) A type of bloodthirsty disregard for the dignity of life that he saw in Nazi brownshirts.
(c) The crowd from the bible yelling "crucify" at Christ.
(d) A vicious animal closing in for a kill.
2. What was the date of Bonhoeffer's Memorial Service, according to Metaxas?
(a) July 27, 1945.
(b) April 9, 1945.
(c) May 8, 1945.
(d) August 15, 1945.
3. Metaxas quotes Eberhard Bethge as claiming that Bonhoeffer grew up in a family that believed what about learning?
(a) "that ... the essence of learning lay not in a formal education but in the deeply rooted obligation to be guardians of a great historical heritage and intellectual tradition."
(b) "That the Bonhoeffer family believed that all families should have the opportunity to have free, public education provided for their children."
(c) "That learning only comes from taking risks that often result in failure."
(d) "That learning is not given, it is captured and taken by those who most desire it."
4. How does Metaxas report a member of Igel described Bonhoeffer?
(a) "A Champion of the kaiser and the policies of Bismarck."
(b) "Generally patriotic."
(c) "Extremely secure and self-confident, not vain, but 'able to tolerate criticism.'"
(d) "Far more rooted in his home than was customary among his fellow students."
5. Who does Metaxas report to be the professor who became the greatest influence over Bonhoeffer's life?
(a) Karl Barth.
(b) Adolf Deissman.
(c) Karl Holl.
(d) Adolf von Harnack.
6. Why does Metaxas claim Bonhoeffer did not marry his first love?
(a) Because she married another man while he was travelling.
(b) Because Bonhoeffer would not allow other people to get close to him.
(c) Because she was Jewish.
(d) Because Bonhoeffer's travels around the world kept the relationship from growing.
7. What quote does Metaxas pull from a sermon that Bonhoeffer gave in Barcelona while his parents were visiting?
(a) "[I]f you want to find eternity, you must serve the times."
(b) "The essence of Christianity is not about religion at all, but about the person of Christ."
(c) " I fear that Christians who venture to stand on earth on only one leg will stand in heaven on only one leg too."
(d) "Christ has given scarcely any ethical prescriptions that wer not to be found already with the contemporary Jewish rabbis or in pagan literature."
8. What was the reason that Bonhoeffer felt a separation from one of his mentors in Germany, Karl Barth, according to Metaxas?
(a) Barth was not willing to split from the German church until opponents were thrown out, but Bonhoeffer wanted to establish a Free Church.
(b) Barth believe that the Nazis could be influenced through efforts to work within their institutions.
(c) Barth disagreed with Bonhoeffer on the Aryan Paragraph.
(d) Barth supported the German Christians and their plans for the Reichsbischof.
9. At what age does Metaxas report Bonhoeffer completed his second postdoctoral thesis?
10. What threat did Theodor Heckel make against Bonhoeffer to make him stop his attempts to oppose the German church from England?
(a) Heckel implied that Bonhoeffer's activities with non-German church leaders were considered treasonous.
(b) Heckel said that if Bonhoeffer returned he could be put in a concentration camp.
(c) Heckel pointed out that the government knew where Bonhoeffer's family lived.
(d) Heckel said that he could use his position to have his degrees rescinded.
11. What does Metaxas claim to be the priority of the congregations that Bonhoeffer led in London?
(a) To help in opposing Nazi efforts to interfere with the mission of the church.
(b) To support the German Christians abroad.
(c) Maintain cultural connections with the homeland.
(d) To influence other countries that the Nazi government was trustworthy.
12. What was the question that Metaxas claims Jean Lassere put to Bonhoeffer that led him to become involved in the ecumenical movement?
(a) "Are you willing to forgo all you have been taught about your people and take part in something much greater?"
(b) "Do we believe in the Holy Catholic Church, the Communion of the Saints, or do we believe in the eternal mission of France?"
(c) "Do you really believe that Christ would call us to kill each other to determine if French Christians were better than German Christians?"
(d) "Is our war between flesh and blood or between the spirits of God and the spirits of the devil?"
13. What does status does Metaxas claim Bonhoeffer attained upon his death?
(d) Traitor legacy.
14. Why does Metaxas claim that Bonhoeffer, "...struggled with the 'problem' of being charming."
(a) Because it caused social problems for him.
(b) Because he was, by nature, a recluse.
(c) Because it was frowned upon by his father.
(d) Because he wanted the words and logic of what he said to be the only things to which others responded.
15. How did Metaxas define the Aryan Paragraph?
(a) The true German race is defined by the Aryan ideal that all government employees will be racially pure.
(b) It was a paragraph within the Enabling Acts that forbid anyone but Aryans from working in government.
(c) It was a paragraph in a document put out by the Ministry of Health that declared all but the Aryan race was inferior and disease ridden.
(d) Government employees must be of "Aryan" stock; anyone of Jewish descent would lose his job.
Short Answer Questions
1. What decision did Hitler make in October, 1933, that further catapulted his popularity with Germans?
2. How does Metaxas claim the movie "All Quiet on the Western Front" affected Bonhoeffer?
3. What observation on prayer, cited by Metaxas, that Bonhoeffer made after observing prostitutes attending a Catholic Mass at Sacre Coeur?
4. To what did Metaxas credit Bonhoeffer's intellectual independence and confidence in contradicting his theology professors?
5. What does Metaxas point out to be the motivation of Luther's condemnations of the Jews that he wrote late in his life?
This section contains 1,182 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)