|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At what age does Metaxas report Bonhoeffer completed his second postdoctoral thesis?
2. What German philosopher does Metaxas suggest that Hitler believed prophesied his rise to power?
3. What was Bonhoeffer's view of philosophy, according to Metaxas?
(a) Bonhoeffer believed that one could not become a solid philosopher without studying theology.
(b) Bonhoeffer considered a theologian and philosopher to be the same thing.
(c) Bonhoeffer considered philosophy to be man's search for truth apart from God.
(d) Bonhoeffer believed that one could not become a solid theologian without studying philosophy.
4. How does Metaxas describe the "Thursday Circle"?
(a) A discussion group of young men Bohnoeffer personally selected.
(b) A study group with which he met as he worked through his doctorate.
(c) A group of friends who gathered at 14 Wangenheimstrasse.
(d) The children in his Sunday school class who would come to his house.
5. What accomplishment of Bonhoeffer's maternal great grandfather, Karl August von Hase, does Metaxas credit with fueling Bonhoeffer's interest in Rome?
(a) Von Hase's vast collection of lyric poetry of Horace and Catullus.
(b) Von Hase's many mission trips with Roman Catholic Officials.
(c) Von Hase's extensive journals and geographic records of his trips to Rome.
(d) Von Hase's 20 trips there and the strong ties he cultivated through them.
6. Which quote does Metaxas use to reflect Hitler's attitude toward Protestant pastors?
(a) "You can do anything you want with them,...They are insignificant little people, submissive as dogs,...."
(b) "If this doesn't come from the other side...then it must come from us;...."
(c) "It's been our misfortune to have the wrong religion. Why didn't we have the religion of the Japanese, who regard sacrifice for the Fatherland ans the highest good?"
(d) "A church that does not keep step with modern scientific knowledge is doomed. It may take quite a while, but it is bound finally to happen."
7. What interests did Bonhoeffer's mother pass to her daughter?
(a) Her passion for horticulture.
(b) Her love of music and singing.
(c) Her interest in money and finance.
(d) Her religious devotion.
8. What does Metaxas report to be the name of the church wherein Bonhoeffer heard the preaching of Adam Clayton Powell, Sr.?
(a) Abyssinian Baptist Church.
(b) Riverside Church.
(c) First Baptist Church of New York City.
(d) Park Avenue Baptist Church.
9. Who taught Bonhoeffer's nanny, Kathe van Horn, Christian concepts that challenged Lutheran orthodoxies of the day?
(a) John Calvin.
(b) She taught herself.
(c) Count Zinzendorf.
(d) Martin Luther.
10. According to Metaxas, how did Karl Bonhoeffer, Dietrich Bonhoeffer's father, meet Bonhoeffer's mother, the former Paula von Hase?
(a) He met her while on a tour to Breslau.
(b) He met her while ice skating on the canals in the morning.
(c) He met her in her role as an assistant to Karl Wernicke, an internationally renowned professor of psychiatry.
(d) He met her at an "open evening" at the house of physicist Oscar meyer.
11. What decision did Hitler make in October, 1933, that further catapulted his popularity with Germans?
(a) To relocate Jews to concentration camps.
(b) To enforce the Enabling Acts.
(c) To pull out of the League of Nations.
(d) To prevent Jews from serving in Christian churches.
12. What is the one area in which Bonhoeffer's father saw a relationship with the work of his son, according to a letter cited by Metaxas?
(a) He had to depend on what was taught him as a child to deal with the problems as an adult.
(b) He had to depend on hard reason rather than emotions to get him through the challenges.
(c) He had discovered that living relationships to human beings and the possibility of meaning something to them was more important than the professional obligations.
(d) He learned that he could only deal with problems if he separated himself emotionally from them.
13. Where was Bonhoeffer's memorial service, according to Metaxas?
(a) The Vatican.
(b) Flossenburg concentration camp.
(c) Union Theological Seminary.
(d) Holy Trinity Church in London, England.
14. How did Germans consider the Weimar Republic, according to Metaxas?
(a) As an unpleasant political has forced on them by their enemies...who wanted Germany to be weak anyway.
(b) As preferable to Bolshevism.
(c) As a logical extension from the days of the Kaiser who ruled over the united Germanic tribes.
(d) As just another political arrangement designed to empower the wealthy.
15. Of what nation does Metaxas report Bonhoeffer to be a citizen?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Metaxas, to what did ideas and beliefs have to relate before Bonhoeffer would consider them worthwhile?
2. Why does Metaxas claim that the Nazis used Martin Luther's late writings regarding Jews to promote their agenda against the Jews.
3. How does Metaxas describe the mood of the people where Bonhoeffer was memorialized?
4. How does Metaxas report a member of Igel described Bonhoeffer?
5. How did Bonhoeffer characterize German emigres in Barcelona, according to a quote used by Metaxas?
This section contains 937 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)