|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 2, Chapters 2, 3 and 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From whom does Metaxas report that Bonhoeffer's mother, Clara von Hase, took piano lessons?.
(a) Johann Strauss.
(b) Franz Liszt and Clara Schumann.
(d) Ludwig von Beethoven and Wolfgang Mozart.
2. Of what nation does Metaxas report Bonhoeffer to be a citizen?
3. To what conclusion does Metaxas report Bonhoeffer arrived in a journal entry regarding his observations of art and his criticism of art historians?
(a) "Life beats down and crushes the soul and art reminds you that you have one."
(b) "I believe that interpretation is not necessary in art."
(c) "The aim of every artist is to arrest motion, which is life, by artificial means and hold it fixed so that a hundred years later, when a stranger looks at it, it moves again since it is life."
(d) "We all know that Art is not truth. Art is a lie that makes us realize truth, at least the truth that is given us to understand. The artist must know the manner whereby to convince others of the truthfulness of his lies."
4. What is the explanation that Metaxas gives for Bonhoeffer's willingness to join the same fraternity his father, Igel, when he attended Berlin University?
(a) Igel eschewed the use of alcohol.
(b) Igel had direct political connections to the line of German Chancellors dating back to the 19th century.
(c) Igel was politically moderate and patriotic, but not nationalistic.
(d) Igel members were well known for their elaborate hats and dueling scars.
5. What does Metaxas claim to have set the mood of Britons regarding their attitude toward Germans?
(a) A Desire of all Britons to put the ware behind them and restore international relations.
(b) A government propaganda campaign that vilified all Germans for the sake of winning WWII.
(c) Emotional duress caused by the loss of so many loved ones during the war.
(d) National exhaustion after fighting such a long and violent war.
Short Answer Questions
1. What question regarding the reformation became increasingly important to Bonhoeffer as the Nazis became increasingly demanding of the Lutheran church?
2. What does Metaxas report to be the conditions in Germany that inspired Adolph Hitler to lead the Bierhall Putch?
3. What accomplishment of Bonhoeffer's maternal great grandfather, Karl August von Hase, does Metaxas credit with fueling Bonhoeffer's interest in Rome?
4. What interests did Bonhoeffer's mother pass to her daughter?
5. According to Metaxas, to what did ideas and beliefs have to relate before Bonhoeffer would consider them worthwhile?
This section contains 568 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)