|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 2, Chapters 2, 3 and 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Metaxas, how did Karl Bonhoeffer, Dietrich Bonhoeffer's father, meet Bonhoeffer's mother, the former Paula von Hase?
(a) He met her while on a tour to Breslau.
(b) He met her at an "open evening" at the house of physicist Oscar meyer.
(c) He met her while ice skating on the canals in the morning.
(d) He met her in her role as an assistant to Karl Wernicke, an internationally renowned professor of psychiatry.
2. How does Metaxas describe the mood of the people where Bonhoeffer was memorialized?
(a) Bonhoeffer's former classmates and professors were somber as each offered a eulogy.
(b) Flossenburg camp survivors were subdued and sought to avoid detection.
(c) The crowd at the Vatican was subdued and respectful as the Pope gave his observations.
(d) It seemed strange to many Britons to honor a German citizen after suffering from the war with Germany.
3. How does Metaxas describe the "Thursday Circle"?
(a) A discussion group of young men Bohnoeffer personally selected.
(b) The children in his Sunday school class who would come to his house.
(c) A group of friends who gathered at 14 Wangenheimstrasse.
(d) A study group with which he met as he worked through his doctorate.
4. Why does Metaxas claim Bonhoeffer did not marry his first love?
(a) Because Bonhoeffer's travels around the world kept the relationship from growing.
(b) Because Bonhoeffer would not allow other people to get close to him.
(c) Because she married another man while he was travelling.
(d) Because she was Jewish.
5. What does Metaxas report to be the occupations of Bonhoeffer's parents?
(a) Doctor and teacher.
(b) Teacher and physicist.
(c) Professor and Lawyer.
(d) Doctor and Lawyer.
Short Answer Questions
1. What accomplishment of Bonhoeffer's maternal great grandfather, Karl August von Hase, does Metaxas credit with fueling Bonhoeffer's interest in Rome?
2. How does Metaxas report that Bonhoeffer's parents learned of his death?
3. Toward the end of 1923, what does Metaxas claim could be bought with 100,000 marks?
4. To what conclusion does Metaxas report Bonhoeffer arrived in a journal entry regarding his observations of art and his criticism of art historians?
5. Upon what does Metaxas focus "Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy" upon?
This section contains 586 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)