|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 2, Chapters 2, 3 and 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Metaxas describe the mood of the people where Bonhoeffer was memorialized?
(a) Flossenburg camp survivors were subdued and sought to avoid detection.
(b) It seemed strange to many Britons to honor a German citizen after suffering from the war with Germany.
(c) Bonhoeffer's former classmates and professors were somber as each offered a eulogy.
(d) The crowd at the Vatican was subdued and respectful as the Pope gave his observations.
2. What interests did Bonhoeffer's mother pass to her daughter?
(a) Her religious devotion.
(b) Her love of music and singing.
(c) Her interest in money and finance.
(d) Her passion for horticulture.
3. How does Metaxas describe the "Thursday Circle"?
(a) The children in his Sunday school class who would come to his house.
(b) A discussion group of young men Bohnoeffer personally selected.
(c) A study group with which he met as he worked through his doctorate.
(d) A group of friends who gathered at 14 Wangenheimstrasse.
4. To what conclusion does Metaxas report Bonhoeffer arrived in a journal entry regarding his observations of art and his criticism of art historians?
(a) "Life beats down and crushes the soul and art reminds you that you have one."
(b) "The aim of every artist is to arrest motion, which is life, by artificial means and hold it fixed so that a hundred years later, when a stranger looks at it, it moves again since it is life."
(c) "We all know that Art is not truth. Art is a lie that makes us realize truth, at least the truth that is given us to understand. The artist must know the manner whereby to convince others of the truthfulness of his lies."
(d) "I believe that interpretation is not necessary in art."
5. What does Metaxas report to be the conditions in Germany that inspired Adolph Hitler to lead the Bierhall Putch?
(a) A desire to establish a constitutional republic.
(b) A wave of nationalistic sentiment.
(c) A populist disdain for Otto von Bismarck, the Iron Chancellor.
(d) Hyperinflation of the German Mark due to attempts to meet the harsh economic terms of the Treaty of Versailles.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Metaxas use for the information upon which he builds his book?
2. What was the date of Bonhoeffer's Memorial Service, according to Metaxas?
3. Toward the end of 1923, what does Metaxas claim could be bought with 100,000 marks?
4. How does Metaxas suggest Karl Bonhoeffer met living expenses during the period of hyperinflation caused by the Treaty of Versailles?
5. Who does Metaxas report to be the professor who became the greatest influence over Bonhoeffer's life?
This section contains 490 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)