|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 23, 24 and 25.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Metaxas, upon what basis were Jews persecuted in Nazi Germany?
(a) Jews were persecuted on political grounds.
(b) Jews were persecuted on religious grounds.
(c) Jews were persecuted on racial grounds.
(d) Jews were persecuted on economic grounds.
2. What is the one area in which Bonhoeffer's father saw a relationship with the work of his son, according to a letter cited by Metaxas?
(a) He learned that he could only deal with problems if he separated himself emotionally from them.
(b) He had to depend on hard reason rather than emotions to get him through the challenges.
(c) He had discovered that living relationships to human beings and the possibility of meaning something to them was more important than the professional obligations.
(d) He had to depend on what was taught him as a child to deal with the problems as an adult.
3. What observation on prayer, cited by Metaxas, that Bonhoeffer made after observing prostitutes attending a Catholic Mass at Sacre Coeur?
(a) "It's much easier for me to imagine a praying murderer, a praying prostitute, than a vain person praying. Nothing is so at odds with prayer as vanity."
(b) "When our will whole heartedly enters in the prayer of Christ, then we pray correctly."
(c) "The entire day receives order and discipline when it acquires unity. This unity must be sought and found in morning prayer. The morning prayer determines the day."
(d) "Temptations which accompany the working day will be conquered on the basis of the morning breakthrough to God...He wants to give us today the power which we need for our work."
4. How did Bonhoeffer characterize German emigres in Barcelona, according to a quote used by Metaxas?
(a) Detached and suspicious.
(b) Lonely and disconnected.
(c) Materialistic and not intellectual.
(d) Informed and eager for news from home.
5. What does Metaxas claim Bonhoeffer discovered of Spanish professors and contemporary Spanish writers?
(a) They showed the same disciplined thought as his father.
(b) They provided an elevated level of conversation.
(c) They were bitterly anti-clerical.
(d) They were eager to receive Bonhoeffer's thoughts about ecumenicalism.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Metaxas suggest that Bonhoeffer greeted the German victory over France with standing with the crowd and calling, "Heil, Hitler!"
2. What was a criticism that Bonhoeffer made of his head pastor in Barcelona, Friedrich Olbricht?
3. How does Metaxas indicate Deutsche Hilfsverein affected Bonhoeffer?
4. Why does Metaxas claim that the Nazis used Martin Luther's late writings regarding Jews to promote their agenda against the Jews.
5. What choice did Bonhoeffer explain that the German church faced in a letter to Bishop Ammundsen, cited by Metaxas, regarding the ecumenical conference in Fano?
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)