|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 23, 24 and 25.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are three Freedoms that Bishop George Bell asked in the Name of the Gospel for Christians in the German Church?
(a) Freedom to peach the Gospel of Jesus Christ, Freedom of the printed word and assembly, Freedom of the Church to instruct its youth in the principles of Christianity.
(b) Freedom of speech, press, and assembly.
(c) Freedom to stand on biblical doctrine, Freedom of dissent with the government, and Freedom to instruct its youth the principles of Christianity.
(d) Freedom to preach the Gospel of Jesus Christ, Freedom of assembly, and Freedom of dissent with the government.ospel for Christians in the German Church?
2. What does Metaxas claim Bonhoeffer discovered of Spanish professors and contemporary Spanish writers?
(a) They showed the same disciplined thought as his father.
(b) They were eager to receive Bonhoeffer's thoughts about ecumenicalism.
(c) They provided an elevated level of conversation.
(d) They were bitterly anti-clerical.
3. How does Metaxas show how Eberhard Bethge explained how Bonhoeffer could accept the paradox of being a Christian involved in an assassination plot against a head of state?
(a) 4. Bethge said that Bonhoeffer told him that God and instructed him how to kill Hitler.
(b) 3. Bethge said that Bonhoeffer knew that his role in the assassination attempt was a sin that fell outside of his Christian faith.
(c) Bethge explained that as the Hitler regime became more murderous, mere confession of beliefs with out action essentially became complicity with the murders.
(d) Metaxas showed that Bonhoeffer's fate was to eliminate Hitler, the cause of war, or accept a position in the military in which he would be involved in eliminate people with whom he had no disagreement.
4. How had Bonhoeffer's relationships outside of Germany affect his view of the church, according to Metaxas?
(a) Bonhoeffer's relationships from around the world were with people of different races and nationalities, but they could share their believe in Christian principles.
(b) Bonhoeffer's relationships from around the world helped him see that German theology was superior and worth protecting.
(c) Bonhoeffer's relationships from around the world helped him see that the conflicts facing Germans were mild compared to those faced in other countries.
(d) Bonhoeffer's relationships from around the world gave him the perspective to be able to see the flaws in German theology.
5. How does Metaxas claim Bonhoeffer kept informed of the turmoil involving the German church?
(a) He had many phone updates from a wide number of contacts.
(b) Members of his congregations updated him through their contacts.
(c) He knew British news reporters who got timely information from Berlin.
(d) His mother, Paula Bonhoeffer, kept him updated through her various contacts including her son-in-law, General von der Goltz.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Metaxas point out to be the motivation of Luther's condemnations of the Jews that he wrote late in his life?
2. At what age does Metaxas report Bonhoeffer completed his second postdoctoral thesis?
3. What was the objective that Bonhoeffer put to the attendees of the youth conference that began the ecumenical conference at Fano?
4. After Bonhoeffer announced he would be willing to personally kill Hitler, why does Metaxas claim he would have to resign from the Confessing Church?
5. What was the reason that Bonhoeffer felt a separation from one of his mentors in Germany, Karl Barth, according to Metaxas?
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)