|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 23, 24 and 25.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What observation on prayer, cited by Metaxas, that Bonhoeffer made after observing prostitutes attending a Catholic Mass at Sacre Coeur?
(a) "Temptations which accompany the working day will be conquered on the basis of the morning breakthrough to God...He wants to give us today the power which we need for our work."
(b) "The entire day receives order and discipline when it acquires unity. This unity must be sought and found in morning prayer. The morning prayer determines the day."
(c) "When our will whole heartedly enters in the prayer of Christ, then we pray correctly."
(d) "It's much easier for me to imagine a praying murderer, a praying prostitute, than a vain person praying. Nothing is so at odds with prayer as vanity."
2. Why did the opponents the group, "German Christians" consider the name to be oxymoronic?
(a) Because the group's embrace of heresy violated the definition of being Christian, and many true Germans disagreed with their positions.
(b) Because they were following Adolf Hitler who was neither German or Christian.
(c) Because many who were joining the group were not German or Christian.
(d) Because most Christians had already left Germany.
3. How did the Treaty of Versailles play a role in protecting Hitler from a coup, according to Metaxas?
(a) The treaty prohibited such treachery as they were planning in their coup.
(b) Hitler pointed out that the treaty prohibited their jobs from existing, so he showed that his violating it was in their benefit.
(c) The German generals desired to overthrow the treaty so they accepted the victories to which Hitler led them.
(d) The treaty prohibited any action on their part unless it was taken under the advisement of the allied powers that wrote it.
4. What threat did Theodor Heckel make against Bonhoeffer to make him stop his attempts to oppose the German church from England?
(a) Heckel said that if Bonhoeffer returned he could be put in a concentration camp.
(b) Heckel implied that Bonhoeffer's activities with non-German church leaders were considered treasonous.
(c) Heckel said that he could use his position to have his degrees rescinded.
(d) Heckel pointed out that the government knew where Bonhoeffer's family lived.
5. To what did Metaxas credit much of Luther's bitterness toward the Jews and others at the end of his life?
(a) An increasing exclusionary view of grace.
(b) A legalistic view of sin.
(c) A series of illnesses and generally declining health.
(d) A hard-line interpretation of the bible.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was a criticism that Bonhoeffer made of his head pastor in Barcelona, Friedrich Olbricht?
2. What does Metaxas claim to have complicated relations between England and Germany while Bonhoeffer was in London?
3. Why does Metaxas claim that the Nazis used Martin Luther's late writings regarding Jews to promote their agenda against the Jews.
4. At what age does Metaxas report Bonhoeffer completed his second postdoctoral thesis?
5. How did Bonhoeffer characterize his decision to go to Barcelona, according to Metaxas?
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)