|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Zeke has a crush on ___________, but she deems him too Chinatown and too short for her tastes.
2. Mason thinks his boss should focus on ____________ cars, rather than ____________ cars.
3. How many times to Leila and Nina clink their glasses together in order to encourage good luck?
4. Who rescues Leila after a tense phone call with Mah about Nina and about Leila's decision to live with Mason?
5. Leila helps Mason bleed the brakes on the ________ he must deliver to his cousin.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the site of where Ona decided to take her life by jumping from the building?
2. What is Zeke so excited about when he pulls up in the white Mercedes where Mason works?
3. What were the rumors that the boys at Nina's school used to spread about her and her dating life?
4. What did Leon have to do in order to gain entry into the United States, according to the story Leila has heard 90 times?
5. What just happened which gives the local Chinatown gossips another thing to talk about?
6. Why does Leon let Leila take him to him to sign up for Social Security at the start of this chapter?
7. What does Leila learn about Leon when she is making the rounds again of Leon's hangouts?
8. What does Leila smell when she goes to the Benevolent Association alone after work on Friday?
9. What does Leon ask Mason to do after Leon has taken two buses to get to Jorge's parking lot?
10. What are some of the obstacles that are standing in the way of Leon when he goes to visit the cemetery?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The affair that Mah had seems to be one of the most difficult times of their relationship, even the book notes that summer was the worst.
Part 1: Why do you think that Mah decided to have an affair?
Part 2: Do you think that Mah and Leon should have stayed together after the affair was revealed? Why or why not?
Part 3: Why do you think that Mah wants to be a family again after the affair?
Essay Topic 2
As with any story and the reading of any story, one must ask whether they can trust the narrator to tell them the truth and to help them understand the characters.
Part 1: Why is Leila the best choice to be the narrator of this story?
Part 2: Do you think the readers can trust Leila to tell the story fairly and in an unbiased way?
Part 3: How might the story have changed if it was told from the viewpoint of Mah?
Essay Topic 3
The idea of becoming more American is one that continues throughout this story - sometimes looked at in a positive way, sometimes in a negative way.
Part 1: Why do you think that characters often want to become more Americanized?
Part 2: Why are some more modernized characters chastised for becoming less Chinese in their actions and behaviors?
Part 3: Do you think it's a positive thing for the American culture and its ideals to become so pervasive? Why or why not?
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)