|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is NOT a part of Leon's story of how he came to America 50 years before?
2. What is the one fact of Leon's life that he cannot document with any certainty because of so many aliases?
3. Leila finds in the papers an affidavit of _______________ for Mah and Fu.
4. Mason is in a bad mood when they drive to get Leon as ______________ can not pay him that week.
5. _____________ understands that Leon needs time away, and is sure he will be safe on a ship.
Short Essay Questions
1. Though she wants to, what is the one thing that Leila does not say to Mason when he gets upset about work?
2. What does Leila see when she tries to sneak in without seeing or speaking to Mah?
3. Why does Leon tend to keep old things, even if they are not useful anymore?
4. What just happened which gives the local Chinatown gossips another thing to talk about?
5. Why is Mason in a bad mood when he and Leila go to pick up Leon in Vallejo?
6. What do the girls do with the sqaubs when they eat them? What does Mah do with the waste?
7. What does Leila help Mason do at the start of this chapter in order to deliver something to his cousin, Dale?
8. Who is You Thin Toy, Leila's favorite of all of Leon's fleabag friends?
9. What does Leila learn about Leon when she is making the rounds again of Leon's hangouts?
10. What is the site of where Ona decided to take her life by jumping from the building?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The language barrier in the story is one of the significant roadblocks to some of the characters being able to participate in some processes of their life.
Part 1: Why do you think certain characters don't make more of an effort to learn English?
Part 2: Do you think it's fair to expect those from another culture to adapt to their new home's language? Why or why not?
Part 3: In what ways does the lack of language skill cause certain characters to suffer? How does knowing English help some characters thrive?
Essay Topic 2
The suicide in this novel seems to be the one event which pulls everyone together, while at the same time driving them all apart.
Part 1: Why do you think the suicide affects Leon in the way it does?
Part 2: How do you think Leila has been changed by the suicide of Ona?
Part 3: Why do you think Ona decided to kill herself?
Essay Topic 3
The struggle between the 'normal' culture and the Chinese culture is seen throughout the novel.
Part 1: Why do you think that modern culture has trouble accepting foreigners?
Part 2: Do you think it's fair to try to push one culture into behaving in a certain way? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think that differing cultures can coexist peacefully and without conflict? Why or why not?
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)