|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For how many years have Leila and her new husband been together before they married?
2. ___________ likes to drive fast, but he always drives safely, which puts Leila at ease during the trip down the peninsula.
3. Where is Leon working to help out with the lunch rush, as she eventually discovers?
4. What does Leila smell when she walks in the door and sees the lights out in the start of this chapter?
5. Where does Leila go in order to find where Grandpa Leong's body is buried in the city?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the girls do with the sqaubs when they eat them? What does Mah do with the waste?
2. What is the secret of Nina that Mah decides to share with everyone for no good reason?
3. Why did Nina decide to quit her past job as a flight attendant, according to the story?
4. Why might other families in San Francisco's Chinatown think Leon's family is unlucky?
5. What does Leon ask Mason to do after Leon has taken two buses to get to Jorge's parking lot?
6. What is so interesting about the job Nina now has leading tours of China and the surrounding areas?
7. Why is Mason in a bad mood when he and Leila go to pick up Leon in Vallejo?
8. What has Leon done to the light he has invented, which Leila turns on when she notices Mah?
9. What would have happened had Grandpa Leong actually have been a family man, according to the book?
10. What is the site of where Ona decided to take her life by jumping from the building?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The sheltered existence of Chinatown seems to have the possibility of hurting those who live there as much as it seems to help them.
Part 1: Why do you think neighborhoods like Chinatown still exist today?
Part 2: Do you think that sheltered neighborhoods are beneficial to their inhabitants? Why or why not?
Part 3: In what ways are these cultural neighborhoods making life more difficult for those who live there? Or aren't they?
Essay Topic 2
As the family grows up, many establish their independence by moving as far away as possible - a common theme in immigrant family stories.
Part 1: Why do you think Nina feels she needs to move as far away as possible?
Part 2: Why does Leila feel as though she needs to establish her independence from her family by eloping?
Part 3: Why do you think children in this family feel they need to distance themselves from the rest of their family in the actions they take?
Essay Topic 3
The suicide in this novel seems to be the one event which pulls everyone together, while at the same time driving them all apart.
Part 1: Why do you think the suicide affects Leon in the way it does?
Part 2: How do you think Leila has been changed by the suicide of Ona?
Part 3: Why do you think Ona decided to kill herself?
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)