|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What job does Nina quit as it makes her feel like Leon and she does not want to feel that way?
2. Who tells Leon that he cannot go into the place where he wants to go?
3. What has Mah stacked in a pagoda pattern on top of the television for Leon's arrival?
4. Who often accompanies Leila on the home visits she makes as a community relations specialist?
5. Mason warns Leila that if ___________ is not home, he will stay no more than half an hour.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Leon tend to keep old things, even if they are not useful anymore?
2. What does Leila help Mason do at the start of this chapter in order to deliver something to his cousin, Dale?
3. What does Leila smell when she goes to the Benevolent Association alone after work on Friday?
4. What does Leon want to do with his newly received $25 from working in the kitchen at the lunch rush?
5. What are some of the obstacles that are standing in the way of Leon when he goes to visit the cemetery?
6. What just happened which gives the local Chinatown gossips another thing to talk about?
7. Why is Lynette Yee getting upset with Leila and her actions at this point of the story?
8. Who is You Thin Toy, Leila's favorite of all of Leon's fleabag friends?
9. What is Zeke so excited about when he pulls up in the white Mercedes where Mason works?
10. What are some of the reasons why Leila's shoulders are tense, according to this chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The idea of the bones being the reason for the bad luck in the novel is one that seems silly to some readers. But is it?
Part 1: Do you believe in the idea of luck and of bad luck? Why or why not?
Part 2: Why do you think the bones are so important to the luck of the family?
Part 3: Why do you think that the bones were not handled in the way they were supposed to be handled?
Essay Topic 2
While the characters are struggling to find their own identities, it seems that many secrets are being held which are only making it more difficult to keep the family together.
Part 1: Why do you think Leila finds it so difficult to tell others about her elopement?
Part 2: Why do you think the characters in this story feel they need to keep secrets from each other?
Part 3: How is the Chinese culture supporting the keeping of secrets within families and from the outside world?
Essay Topic 3
The idea of becoming more American is one that continues throughout this story - sometimes looked at in a positive way, sometimes in a negative way.
Part 1: Why do you think that characters often want to become more Americanized?
Part 2: Why are some more modernized characters chastised for becoming less Chinese in their actions and behaviors?
Part 3: Do you think it's a positive thing for the American culture and its ideals to become so pervasive? Why or why not?
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)