|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Leila finds out that Leon will be able to keep his _________________ and work part time while collecting benefits.
2. What is the surname that Leila is happy to have shed, as it sounds like 'bitter' in her dialect?
3. What does Leila want to drink as she is looking through the moldy papers of Leon's?
4. Frank Jow sent a telegram to _______________, hoping it would give Leon enough time to come home for Leong's funeral.
5. What is the color of the car that Zeke is driving when he pulls up to meet Mason and Leila?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the secret of Nina that Mah decides to share with everyone for no good reason?
2. Why is Mason in a bad mood when he and Leila go to pick up Leon in Vallejo?
3. Why did Nina decide to quit her past job as a flight attendant, according to the story?
4. What are some of the obstacles that are standing in the way of Leon when he goes to visit the cemetery?
5. What is so interesting about the job Nina now has leading tours of China and the surrounding areas?
6. Why does Leon let Leila take him to him to sign up for Social Security at the start of this chapter?
7. What does Mah want Leila to do when Leila calls to check up on Mah?
8. Where is Leon living after the death of Ona which has made him not want to live with his wife?
9. What happens during the first case Leila has as a family counselor at the start of this chapter?
10. Why is Lynette Yee getting upset with Leila and her actions at this point of the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The theme of the story of BONE: A NOVEL is one that repeats itself not just in the placement of the bones where the grandfather requested.
Part 1: Why are the gossips in the story a crucial part of the story's development?
Part 2: What does the phrase 'bone to pick' mean to you?
Part 3: What else do you think the bones of the grandfather represent to the family in the story? Why?
Essay Topic 2
The strained relationship between Leon and Mah was not always that way. It seems to have slowly disintegrated along with the family structure and the family luck in this story.
Part 1: Why do you think that Leon and Mah got married in the first place?
Part 2: How do you think Leon and Mah have to change in order to be happy again?
Part 3: Do you think that Leon and Mah have any chance of being happy with each other again? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The affair that Mah had seems to be one of the most difficult times of their relationship, even the book notes that summer was the worst.
Part 1: Why do you think that Mah decided to have an affair?
Part 2: Do you think that Mah and Leon should have stayed together after the affair was revealed? Why or why not?
Part 3: Why do you think that Mah wants to be a family again after the affair?
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)