|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Mah makes no secret of the fact that she married Leon for _________________.
(d) A green card
2. Leon wants to blame someone for the suicide of Ona, so he blames _______________.
3. ______________ doubts that Mah will want to go back to Hong Kong after being away for 25 years.
4. Leila waits to talk to Mah until Leon's return with stories of her ______________, hoping this will unlock her from Mah.
5. What does Mason assign Nina to do in order to prevent a fight between the two sisters from getting too heated?
(a) Buy flowers
(b) Go back home
(d) Pick up Ona's ashes
Short Answer Questions
1. Ona makes ___________ real in their lives and talking helps them deal with this.
2. After being unemployed for __________ months, Leon ships our and returns to widespread rumors.
3. Mah wants to put Ona's ________________ on Confucius' altar to commemorate her.
4. The early years of Salmon Alley are a time of getting along by the ____________ virtues of loyalty, endurance, and hope.
5. What does Leila decide to do when Mason goes off to work after they party?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the women at the factory work night and day, pushing themselves to sew?
2. What does Mah want to do in order to prepare herself for the homecoming of Leon?
3. What has Leila prepared for the afternoon art class in the classroom where she is teaching?
4. What is the only thing Nina asks Leila to do in order to handle Mah's trip to Hong Kong?
5. What have the women done by the time the S.S. Independent docks at the shore?
6. What are the Confucian virtues, according to the start of this chapter?
7. When Mason and Leila come to fetch Leon, what do they find he has done in his apartment?
8. What does a teacher's aide tell Leila about Leon after he walks out on Mah during a discussion about Ona's ashes?
9. To what does Leila compare the feeling of time rushing forward and then snapping still?
10. Why does Mah believe that Lyman will make good on his promise and send for her?
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)