|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Fone blame it on when he briefly sees the Great Red Dragon in Chapter one?
2. What does Fone do believing the rat creatures would have to be stupid to do while following him in Chapter two?
3. What is Fone told when he asks someone in chapter one how to get back to Boneville?
4. What does the creature ask Fone to do in chapter one?
5. What does the second creature say he wants to do with Fone?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Phoney finds the dragon?
2. What do Fone and Miz 'Possum discuss in the beginning of chapter two when they meet?
3. What happens when the children and Fone begin playing?
4. What do the possum children say to Fone when they first encounter each other in chapter two?
5. What is Phoney doing when he is first shown in chapter three?
6. What do Fone and Thorn discuss about the dragon in chapter three?
7. What does Fone do to get the children away from the rat creatures?
8. Describe the scene in chapter three where Thorn and Fone go through Fone's knapsack.
9. What is Fone talking about while trying to get out of the gorge in chapter one?
10. What sound do the Bones hear in chapter one?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Explain the relationship that Thorn and Fone have. What is the significance of this relationship?
2) Is there any indication that Thorn might feel as strongly about Fone as he feels about her?
3) How do you believe their relationship will end?
Essay Topic 2
1) Describe the role that family ties have in this story.
2) Compare the family bonds that are seen, Thorn and her Gran'ma, the Bones, and Ted and his brother. Do any of these contradict the role of family? Explain.
3) Do you believe that Phoney, Fone, and Smiley all feel the same way about family? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
1) Describe Gran'ma's personality.
2) What is Gran'ma's role in the story?
3) Does it change your view of Gran'ma that she knew the dragon? What reasons could she have for not telling Thorn or Fone about the dragon even after they knew that she knew the dragon?
This section contains 904 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)