|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Fone compare his home to in Chapter two?
2. What does the creature ask Fone to do in chapter one?
3. What does Fone tell the possum children when they ask if he was scared of the encounter with the rat creatures in Chapter two?
4. Who stops the two creatures from eating Fone in Chapter one?
5. What does Thorn say Gran'ma Ben goes into town each spring to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. In chapter one what is said about why the Bones left Boneville?
2. What is Fone talking about while trying to get out of the gorge in chapter one?
3. What do the possum children say to Fone when they first encounter each other in chapter two?
4. What does Gran'ma say about Phoney and Fone in the end of chapter three?
5. What happens when Fone meets Thorn?
6. What do Fone and Thorn discuss about the dragon in chapter three?
7. What happens when Fone enters the valley in chapter one?
8. What happens as the Bones become separated in chapter one?
9. Describe the scene in chapter three when Gran'ma Ben arrives home.
10. What happens when the children and Fone begin playing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Explain the relationship that Thorn and Fone have. What is the significance of this relationship?
2) Is there any indication that Thorn might feel as strongly about Fone as he feels about her?
3) How do you believe their relationship will end?
Essay Topic 2
1) Speculate on what the hooded one meant by telling Phoney that their unfinished business was his soul?
2) Do you believe that the hooded one was there physically while talking to Phoney? What was meant by 'subtle methods of contacting you'?
3) Does the dragon know of the hooded figure? Why do you believe this?
Essay Topic 3
1) Describe what you know of the hooded figure.
2) Why is the hooded one's identity kept hidden?
3) What role do you believe that the hooded one plays in the other books in the series?
This section contains 894 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)