|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Smiley find in Chapter one?
2. What landmark does Fone first say that he cannot find on the map he has?
3. What does the dragon tell the rat creatures in Chapter two?
4. After getting to the spring what does Fone say he should have asked the dragon?
5. What does the creature tell his friend when he sees Fone walking through the woods in Chapter one?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Fone and Thorn discuss about the dragon in chapter three?
2. What do the possum children say to Fone when they first encounter each other in chapter two?
3. Describe the scene where Fone and the other animals meet back up after the incident with the rat creatures.
4. Describe the conversation that Fone and the Great Red Dragon have in chapter two.
5. What does Smiley find in chapter one?
6. What is Phoney doing when he is first shown in chapter three?
7. What happens after Fone gets out of the water in chapter two after having been chased by the rat creatures?
8. What does Fone do to get the children away from the rat creatures?
9. Describe the scene in chapter three when Thorn wakes Fone up.
10. What happens when Phoney finds the dragon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Do you believe that the dragon was awakened by Fone or that the dragon already knew about Fone?
2) How do you think the hooded one knows about Phoney? Why do you think the hooded one wants Phoney's soul?
3) Why does the dragon seem to keep to close to Fone despite the fact that Phoney is the one that the hooded one wants?
Essay Topic 2
1) Speculate on the significance of the map that Smiley found in Chapter one.
2) What do think could be the possible reasons that Thorn feels that the map is familiar in some way?
3) If the map could represent something more in the story what would it be?
Essay Topic 3
1) Describe what you know of the hooded figure.
2) Why is the hooded one's identity kept hidden?
3) What role do you believe that the hooded one plays in the other books in the series?
This section contains 903 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)