|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who suggests the restaurant that Tommy and Al meet at in Chapter 34?
2. How much money does Harvey admit to taking from Sally's rivals in Chapter 32?
3. Where is Tommy waiting for Cheryl in Chapter 30?
4. Who is the last picture of that Al shows to Tommy in Chapter 34?
5. What meal are the chef and his mother having in Chapter 21?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Al joke at Sally's expense in Chapter 26, and what is Sally's response?
2. How is Harvey murdered in Chapter 38?
3. How does Sally inform Harvey that Victor will be the new manager of the restaurant in Chapter 32?
4. How does Al approach Tommy at the Pink Teacup in Chapter 26, and what causes Tommy to be sick?
5. What is causing Harvey to be in a bad mood in Chapter 23?
6. What finally causes Tommy to decide to cooperate with the police against Sally in Chapter 35?
7. What pact is made between Tommy and the chef in Chapter 29?
8. Why does the chef meet with his mother in Chapter 21?
9. Why does Danny visit with his lawyer in Chapter 39, and how does the visit end?
10. Where and how are the two members of the rival mob killed in Chapter 33?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The police's role in Bone in the Throat have been categorized as antagonistic by some observers.
1) Describe why the police are viewed as antagonistic, using three examples to support your analysis.
2) Explain which characters in particular are the most antagonistic and why.
3) Debate whether or not the police were intentionally designed to be antagonistic by Bourdain, or if their actions have been misinterpreted.
Essay Topic 2
Choose three examples of symbolism from Bone in the Throat and explain each one of them in detail. Be sure to include what they represent, how they add to the story, and the reasons why Bourdain uses them.
Essay Topic 3
Since Bourdain is a well known chef, it is not surprising that he would incorporate themes of food and cooking in his book.
1) Describe three references to food that are made throughout Bone in the Throat.
2) Explain the significance of how Charlie is cooking for Tommy when he offers him a chance at escaping in the novel's conclusion.
3) Analyze the role that food has in the important decision that Tommy makes about working with the police.
This section contains 942 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)