|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Harvey and Victor looking at in Chapter 36?
2. According to Tommy in Chapter 28, how long did Sally spend in jail for staying quiet?
3. What names does Harvey give to Sally for the Brooklyn guys in Chapter 32?
4. How does Charlie respond to Al's report about the rival mob in Chapter 25?
5. What does Skinny reprimand Sally for after they leave the scene of the crime in Chapter 33?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the connection between the Prologue and Harvey's murder in Chapter 38?
2. What is the result of Tommy's talk with Danny in Chapter 28?
3. How is Harvey murdered in Chapter 38?
4. What finally causes Tommy to decide to cooperate with the police against Sally in Chapter 35?
5. Why does Danny visit with his lawyer in Chapter 39, and how does the visit end?
6. What does Al say to try and convince Raymond that his case is going well in Chapter 37?
7. What do Sally and Skinny do after the murders in Chapter 33, and what advice does Skinny have for Sally?
8. Which piece of information does Al give to Danny in Chapter 25, and what decision does it lead to?
9. How does Al joke at Sally's expense in Chapter 26, and what is Sally's response?
10. Why does Tommy become sick again while talking to Al in Chapter 34?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the drug use that takes place in Bone in the Throat by comparing the drug habits of the chef, Tommy, and Harvey. Provide several examples of the effect that drugs have on each character as well as the plot itself, how the characters choose to deal with their problems, and your analysis of the message Bourdain might be trying to deliver with this aspect of his story.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the styles of Sally and Skinny in committing murder, using a number of examples from the book as a reference. In your comparison, include the difference in both characters' reputations and positions within the mob organization.
Essay Topic 3
Harvey is an interesting character that is caught in between the mob and the police during the book.
1) Analyze Harvey's character, his situation, and how he is being used by both opposing sides.
2) Explain the options that Harvey has, the choices he makes, and whether you think he had alternatives.
3) Describe Harvey's murder, including Bourdain's style, and the effect that the murder has on each one of the story's main characters.
This section contains 1,016 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)