|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Sally points out in his discussion with Harvey, how many times has Harvey been unable to pay him?
2. What is the chef addicted to?
3. How much information does Al think is being received from the bug in Sally's apartment?
4. How does Tommy initially respond to Sally's request in Chapter 9?
5. When does Sally want Harvey to pay him the money to avoid the consequences?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Harvey contact Al in Chapter 3 and where do they meet in Chapter 4?
2. What phone call does Tommy get in Chapter 8 and how does he respond?
3. How is Charlie Wagons introduced in Chapter 14 and what do he and Danny discuss?
4. What does Al inform Raymond of in Chapter 5?
5. Who is Raymond Sullivan and what is his agenda in Chapter 5?
6. Which information is Al lacking in Chapter 16?
7. What mistake do the police officers make in Chapter 7 and why?
8. How does the coroner react to the body found in the Prologue?
9. What happens when the chef buys some more drugs in Chapter 19?
10. What questions does Tommy have about a van that is parked outside of his apartment in Chapter 20?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze Tommy's relationship with Cheryl, including the reasons why Tommy needs to have Cheryl to trust as he goes through the difficult situations he is experiencing and the element of irony in their relationship. In addition, describe how Cheryl reacts to Tommy's affair, why it strengthens their relationship, and whether or not you agree with how Cheryl chooses to accept it.
Essay Topic 2
Chronicle the development of Tommy's character from the beginning of the story to its ending, using numerous examples of how he changes, and what causes those changes. Also, include an in-depth analysis of fear, its influence on Tommy, and the way he conquers it to gain freedom from the situation he is in.
Essay Topic 3
Explain how Bourdain uses his descriptive writing style to depict the murder of Freddy Manso. Include a comparison between Freddy's murder and the murder described in the Prologue, as well as an analysis of three other examples of Bourdain's vivid storytelling in the book.
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)