|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason does Tommy give to the chef after declining to join him in getting drugs later in Chapter 8?
2. What happened to Tommy's father?
3. How does the chef feel since not having more drugs to take in Chapter 8?
4. What are Tommy and the chef discussing as Sally approaches them in Chapter 1?
5. Who decides that Tommy can do the clean up after Freddy is murdered in Chapter 11?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Sally discussing with Harvey in Chapter 2 and how does Harvey explain himself?
2. How does Sally threaten Harvey in Chapter 2?
3. How does the chef try to get away from the police in Chapter 7 and what happens to him?
4. What favor does Sally ask Tommy for in Chapter 9 and what is Tommy's answer?
5. How is the murder of Freddy described in Chapter 11?
6. What causes the chef to get help for his drug problem in Chapter 18 and how is it delayed?
7. What questions do Al and Harvey have when they meet in Chapter 17?
8. How does Harvey respond to the incident with Sally in Chapter 3?
9. What is the description of Sally Wig and how is he related to Tommy Pagana?
10. How does Harvey contact Al in Chapter 3 and where do they meet in Chapter 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the concept of loyalty and the various ways that it is presented in Bone in the Throat.
1) Describe Tommy's loyalty to Sally, how it begins, how it is altered, and why it is ultimately dissolved.
2) Explain Tommy's pact with the chef and why it is a significant part of the story's conclusion.
3) Analyze the loyalty between Tommy and the chef as compared to the loyalty between Sally and the mob.
Essay Topic 2
Chronicle the development of Tommy's character from the beginning of the story to its ending, using numerous examples of how he changes, and what causes those changes. Also, include an in-depth analysis of fear, its influence on Tommy, and the way he conquers it to gain freedom from the situation he is in.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the drug use that takes place in Bone in the Throat by comparing the drug habits of the chef, Tommy, and Harvey. Provide several examples of the effect that drugs have on each character as well as the plot itself, how the characters choose to deal with their problems, and your analysis of the message Bourdain might be trying to deliver with this aspect of his story.
This section contains 862 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)