|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the chef attempt to get rid of the drugs he has purchased when he realizes he is being chased in Chapter 7?
2. What is happening to the chef in Chapter 15?
3. What does Sally tell Tommy to get while Skinny is stabbing Freddy?
4. Why are Al and Raymond planning to tell Harvey to borrow money in Chapter 5?
5. What is one of the things Charlie and Danny consider getting for Sally to calm him down in Chapter 14?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Sally discussing with Harvey in Chapter 2 and how does Harvey explain himself?
2. What happens with Tommy and the chef at the restaurant in Chapter 6?
3. What do Al and Harvey talk about in Chapter 4?
4. What upsets Sally during his meeting with Danny in Chapter 13?
5. What does Tommy say to Sally after Freddy is murdered and how does Skinny act as they are driving away?
6. What questions does Tommy have about a van that is parked outside of his apartment in Chapter 20?
7. What happened to Tommy's father?
8. How does the coroner react to the body found in the Prologue?
9. How is Charlie Wagons introduced in Chapter 14 and what do he and Danny discuss?
10. What causes the chef to get help for his drug problem in Chapter 18 and how is it delayed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Charlie and Danny in their different approaches to running a mob organization. Use examples from the story to outline the main differences between the two, and which characters those differences impact the most.
Essay Topic 2
Since Bourdain is a well known chef, it is not surprising that he would incorporate themes of food and cooking in his book.
1) Describe three references to food that are made throughout Bone in the Throat.
2) Explain the significance of how Charlie is cooking for Tommy when he offers him a chance at escaping in the novel's conclusion.
3) Analyze the role that food has in the important decision that Tommy makes about working with the police.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the concept of loyalty and the various ways that it is presented in Bone in the Throat.
1) Describe Tommy's loyalty to Sally, how it begins, how it is altered, and why it is ultimately dissolved.
2) Explain Tommy's pact with the chef and why it is a significant part of the story's conclusion.
3) Analyze the loyalty between Tommy and the chef as compared to the loyalty between Sally and the mob.
This section contains 923 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)