|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what date did Moe Berg attend Werner Heisenberg's lecture for the Alsos mission?
2. How many workers were living in trailers around the erection of the secret plant in Oak Ridge, Tennessee, by early 1944?
3. What mailing address did Dorothy McKibben give to the new scientists arriving in Santa Fe for the bomb project?
4. Who accompanied the uranium as it was shipped toward the destination of Tinian?
5. What ship carried the uranium for its trip to Tinian?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the name “The Gadget” arise?
2. Who was Dorothy McKibben? How did she gain employment on the Manhattan Project?
3. What conflict arose regarding Jean Tatlock between Groves and the Army CIC?
4. What did Oppenheimer expect to happen to the Manhattan Project after Germany’s surrender? Was he correct?
5. Why was Colonel Paul Tibbets ordered to report to Colorado Springs in the summer of 1944?
6. How did the Alsos mission evolve after Nazi Germany’s surrender?
7. What was Richard Feynman’s mission in Oak Ridge, Tennessee?
8. How were the water barrels being transported from the Vemork plant in February of 1944? What was Haukelid’s mission?
9. How are the results of the Trinity Test described in the narrative?
10. Where were the German scientists taken after the end of World War II in Europe?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Theodore Hall and his involvement with the Manhattan Project. How did Hall become involved with Soviet espionage? What information did Hall leak to the Soviets? What became of Hall after the war?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the differences between uranium and plutonium weapons. What are the different types of weapons styles that were used in Fat Man and Little Boy? Why were these styles different based on their use of plutonium or uranium?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Robert Oppenheimer’s childhood, education, and career. How did Oppenheimer become involved in the Manhattan Project? What was his role in the project? How does the author characterize Oppenheimer in the narrative?
This section contains 895 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)