|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How heavy was the bomb that Haukelid planted on the ferry that was to transport the heavy water from the Vemork plant?
2. What physicist was the scientific head of the Alsos mission?
3. Where did Harry Truman meet Joseph Stalin for the first time?
4. How much money did Harry Gold hand over to David Greenglass for his information in 1945?
5. How old was Paul Tibbets in the summer of 1944?
Short Essay Questions
1. How and why did the plot to kidnap Werner Heisenberg arise?
2. Why was Colonel Paul Tibbets ordered to report to Colorado Springs in the summer of 1944?
3. With whom was Carl Eifler replaced in the mission regarding Heisenberg? Why was he replaced?
4. What information was passed to the KGB via Ted Hall and Saville Sax in December of 1944?
5. Who was Theodore Hall? How did Hall become involved in the Manhattan Project?
6. Who was William Laurence? Why was he in attendance at the Trinity Test?
7. What questions did Harry Truman pose regarding the Manhattan Project in 1945?
8. What was the objective of the Alsos mission with Heisenberg?
9. How did the name “The Gadget” arise?
10. What was Richard Feynman’s mission in Oak Ridge, Tennessee?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the development of the world’s first atomic weapon from its origin in Otto Hahn’s discovery of nuclear fission. What experiment did Hahn conduct? How did this experiment lead up to “Fat Man” and “Little Boy”?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Robert Oppenheimer’s childhood, education, and career. How did Oppenheimer become involved in the Manhattan Project? What was his role in the project? How does the author characterize Oppenheimer in the narrative?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the events and alliances of World War II from September 1, 1939 through January of 1941. What was the United States’ position regarding the war? What was the position of the Soviet Union? Who were Hitler’s allies?
This section contains 797 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)