|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Harry Truman meet Joseph Stalin for the first time?
2. By what name did Dorothy McKibben's potential employer introduce himself when he interviewed with her at a Santa Fe hotel in March of 1943?
3. What was the name of the ferry boat that the Germans were using to transport heavy water from the Vemork plant?
4. What ship carried the uranium for its trip to Tinian?
5. Who invited William Laurence to attend the test shot of the plutonium bomb?
Short Essay Questions
1. What efforts were made to thwart rumors about the Los Alamos site?
2. How were the water barrels being transported from the Vemork plant in February of 1944? What was Haukelid’s mission?
3. What did Oppenheimer expect to happen to the Manhattan Project after Germany’s surrender? Was he correct?
4. Who was William Laurence? Why was he in attendance at the Trinity Test?
5. How did Colonel Carl Eifler respond to his mission regarding Heisenberg?
6. What preparations were made prior to the testing of the first nuclear weapon?
7. How is the death of President Franklin Roosevelt described in “Falling Stars”?
8. Why was Colonel Paul Tibbets ordered to report to Colorado Springs in the summer of 1944?
9. How are the results of the Trinity Test described in the narrative?
10. What was the objective of the Alsos mission with Heisenberg?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss Colonel Carl Eifler’s involvement in the Manhattan Project. What mission was Eifler given? Why was he replaced in this mission? How did he respond to being replaced?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the events and alliances of World War II from September 1, 1939 through January of 1941. What was the United States’ position regarding the war? What was the position of the Soviet Union? Who were Hitler’s allies?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the impacts of the Manhattan Project today. What is the status of the United States’ nuclear weapons program? What finally brought about an end to the Cold War? What are the repercussions seen today due to the development of the atomic bomb? Do you think it was worth it? Why or why not?
This section contains 905 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)