|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What book of poetry was used in Ted Hall's secret letters to Saville Sax?
2. Who was the Army Chief of Staff in late 1943?
3. What was the population of Santa Fe, New Mexico, in 1943?
4. Where was the second secret plant developed to produce U-235?
5. On what date did Adolf Hitler commit suicide?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the objective of the Alsos mission with Heisenberg?
2. Why was Colonel Paul Tibbets ordered to report to Colorado Springs in the summer of 1944?
3. Who was Theodore Hall? How did Hall become involved in the Manhattan Project?
4. What efforts were made to thwart rumors about the Los Alamos site?
5. How are the results of the Trinity Test described in the narrative?
6. Who was William Laurence? Why was he in attendance at the Trinity Test?
7. What questions did Harry Truman pose regarding the Manhattan Project in 1945?
8. What was Richard Feynman’s mission in Oak Ridge, Tennessee?
9. How is the death of President Franklin Roosevelt described in “Falling Stars”?
10. How did the name “The Gadget” arise?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Theodore Hall and his involvement with the Manhattan Project. How did Hall become involved with Soviet espionage? What information did Hall leak to the Soviets? What became of Hall after the war?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the significance of Enrico Fermi’s Chicago Pile-1. What were the objectives of Fermi’s experiment? What were the results? How did these results contribute to the Manhattan Project?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss Knut Haukelid’s childhood, education, and career. How was Haukelid involved in the nuclear arms race during WWII? What training did Haukelid receive? In what ways were his missions different than others in armed combat?
This section contains 798 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)