|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Robert Oppenheimer's assistant leading the first meeting at the Los Alamos Ranch School?
2. What was the population of Santa Fe, New Mexico, in 1943?
3. How far is Okinawa from the Japanese mainland?
4. How old was Moe Berg when he was assigned the Heisenberg kidnapping mission?
5. With whom did Knut Haukelid spend the winter in the mountains of Norway after the Vemork attack?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the Alsos mission evolve after Nazi Germany’s surrender?
2. Who was William Laurence? Why was he in attendance at the Trinity Test?
3. How did the residents in the surrounding areas of Los Alamos react to the project there when it began?
4. Where were the German scientists taken after the end of World War II in Europe?
5. How did Colonel Carl Eifler respond to his mission regarding Heisenberg?
6. What was the objective of the Alsos mission with Heisenberg?
7. What preparations were made prior to the testing of the first nuclear weapon?
8. How are the results of the Trinity Test described in the narrative?
9. How is the death of President Franklin Roosevelt described in “Falling Stars”?
10. Who was Dorothy McKibben? How did she gain employment on the Manhattan Project?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the differences between uranium and plutonium weapons. What are the different types of weapons styles that were used in Fat Man and Little Boy? Why were these styles different based on their use of plutonium or uranium?
Essay Topic 2
Describe “Operation Gunnerside.” Who was involved in this mission? Where did the mission take place? What were the objectives of the mission? Were these objectives met?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the significance of Enrico Fermi’s Chicago Pile-1. What were the objectives of Fermi’s experiment? What were the results? How did these results contribute to the Manhattan Project?
This section contains 862 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)