|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Jens Poulsson when he was chosen as the leader of a special mission to attack the Vemork power plant?
2. On what date was the meeting between Roosevelt and Churchill in the opening of "On the Cliff"?
3. Where was Richard Feynman studying when he joined the Los Alamos project?
4. What date is described in the Prologue of Bomb?
5. That former partner did Otto Hahn write first when he first discovered that uranium atoms could be split, according to the author in "The U Business"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Lise Meitner and what role did she play in the discovery of nuclear fission?
2. How are Robert Oppenheimer’s childhood and education described in “Skinny Superhero”?
3. What led to Franklin Roosevelt’s discovery of German atomic research? Who wrote to the President and what was suggested?
4. How was the compound at Los Alamos developed? Who came to the compound?
5. How did Colonel Groves respond when his candidate for the leader of the Manhattan Project did not pass an army physical?
6. What was the first mission that Haukelid and Poulsson were assigned after training?
7. How does the author describe surveillance of Communists in the U.S. in “Rapid Rupture”?
8. Who was chosen to be the scientific leader of the Manhattan Project in 1942? What reservations were expressed regarding this individual?
9. How would you describe Robert Oppenheimer’s loyalty to the U.S. in his work for the Manhattan Project?
10. What agreement was made between the U.S. President and British Prime Minister on June 19, 1942?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Theodore Hall and his involvement with the Manhattan Project. How did Hall become involved with Soviet espionage? What information did Hall leak to the Soviets? What became of Hall after the war?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the development of the world’s first atomic weapon from its origin in Otto Hahn’s discovery of nuclear fission. What experiment did Hahn conduct? How did this experiment lead up to “Fat Man” and “Little Boy”?
Essay Topic 3
What led Klaus Fuchs to inform to the Soviets during World War II? Where was Fuchs born? What were his political views? What happened to Fuchs after the war ended?
This section contains 862 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)