|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Semyon Semyonov's KGB colleague that helped work with him to throw off the scent of the FBI, according to the author in "Rapid Rupture"?
2. Who did Peter Ivanov send to talk to Robert Oppenheimer and feel out his Communist sensibilities at Berkeley?
3. How many neutrons are contained in the nucleus of a normal hydrogen atom?
4. When did Adolf Hitler launch a four-million man invasion across the Soviet border, despite his agreements not to do so?
5. Who informed Robert Oppenheimer about the German chemists finding the uranium could be split, according to the author in "The U Business"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the outcome of Haukelid and Poulsson’s mission in February of 1943?
2. What led to Harry Gold’s involvement in Soviet espionage? Who solicited Gold to inform for the Soviets?
3. How did the KGB feel about Robert Oppenheimer and his position at the Manhattan Project?
4. How did Robert Oppenheimer come to learn about Otto Hahn’s work in Germany?
5. What were the results of Enrico Fermi’s experiments at the University of Chicago?
6. Who was Lise Meitner and what role did she play in the discovery of nuclear fission?
7. What was the first mission that Haukelid and Poulsson were assigned after training?
8. What was the situation with the Vemork plant in February of 1943?
9. What led the Soviets to believe that the United States was making progress toward atomic weaponry, according to the author in “Enormoz”?
10. What happened when the FBI searched Harry Gold’s room in the Prologue to Bomb?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the events and alliances of World War II from September 1, 1939 through January of 1941. What was the United States’ position regarding the war? What was the position of the Soviet Union? Who were Hitler’s allies?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss Colonel Carl Eifler’s involvement in the Manhattan Project. What mission was Eifler given? Why was he replaced in this mission? How did he respond to being replaced?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the first meeting of the scientists at Los Alamos. Who led the meeting? What was discussed? Who was present? What new ideas emerged during this conference?
This section contains 844 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)