|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Colonel Leslie Groves when he was selected to oversee the bomb project?
2. Where was Franklin Roosevelt's family home?
3. Where had Knut Haukelid been fighting the Germans in a resistance movement when he was met by British officers in "International Gangster School"?
4. Who was Robert Oppenheimer's date whom the author describes him abandoning in "Skinny Superhero"?
5. What building had Colonel Leslie Groves overseen the construction of before he was selected to oversee the bomb project?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was the compound at Los Alamos developed? Who came to the compound?
2. Describe Otto Hahn’s experiment in December of 1938. What was discovered in Hahn’s experiment?
3. What led to Franklin Roosevelt’s discovery of German atomic research? Who wrote to the President and what was suggested?
4. What led the Soviets to believe that the United States was making progress toward atomic weaponry, according to the author in “Enormoz”?
5. How is Knut Haukelid described in the narrative? Where was he trained?
6. How is Robert Oppenheimer characterized as a professor in “Skinny Superhero”?
7. What was the outcome of Haukelid and Poulsson’s mission in February of 1943?
8. Who were Zalmond Franklin and Clarence Hiskey and how did they contribute to Soviet espionage?
9. What was the name of the mission Haukelid and Poulsson set out on in February of 1943? How did they go about the mission?
10. How would you describe Robert Oppenheimer’s loyalty to the U.S. in his work for the Manhattan Project?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the impacts of the Manhattan Project today. What is the status of the United States’ nuclear weapons program? What finally brought about an end to the Cold War? What are the repercussions seen today due to the development of the atomic bomb? Do you think it was worth it? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss Knut Haukelid’s childhood, education, and career. How was Haukelid involved in the nuclear arms race during WWII? What training did Haukelid receive? In what ways were his missions different than others in armed combat?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the effects of the bomb dropped on Hiroshima. How many structures were damaged as a result of the blast? How many people were killed, both immediately and as a result of radiation poisoning? What impact did this attack have on the public’s perception of atomic weapons?
This section contains 922 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)