|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did German forces capture Norway and Denmark during World War II?
2. Where did Tom Black arrange for Harry Gold to take a job in Jersey City in 1933?
3. On what date was Albert Einstein's letter to the U.S. President warning of Germany's development of an atomic bomb delivered?
4. Who delivered Albert Einstein's letter regarding the potential development of a German atomic bomb to the President of the United States?
5. Where had Knut Haukelid been fighting the Germans in a resistance movement when he was met by British officers in "International Gangster School"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author describe surveillance of Communists in the U.S. in “Rapid Rupture”?
2. Who were Zalmond Franklin and Clarence Hiskey and how did they contribute to Soviet espionage?
3. What led the Soviets to believe that the United States was making progress toward atomic weaponry, according to the author in “Enormoz”?
4. How did Robert Oppenheimer come to learn about Otto Hahn’s work in Germany?
5. Who was chosen to be the scientific leader of the Manhattan Project in 1942? What reservations were expressed regarding this individual?
6. Who was Lise Meitner and what role did she play in the discovery of nuclear fission?
7. What led to Franklin Roosevelt’s discovery of German atomic research? Who wrote to the President and what was suggested?
8. What happened when the FBI searched Harry Gold’s room in the Prologue to Bomb?
9. What led to Harry Gold’s involvement in Soviet espionage? Who solicited Gold to inform for the Soviets?
10. What was the situation with the Vemork plant in February of 1943?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the differences between uranium and plutonium weapons. What are the different types of weapons styles that were used in Fat Man and Little Boy? Why were these styles different based on their use of plutonium or uranium?
Essay Topic 2
What led Klaus Fuchs to inform to the Soviets during World War II? Where was Fuchs born? What were his political views? What happened to Fuchs after the war ended?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the significance of Enrico Fermi’s Chicago Pile-1. What were the objectives of Fermi’s experiment? What were the results? How did these results contribute to the Manhattan Project?
This section contains 877 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)