|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who told Oppenheimer after his visit to San Francisco in June of 1943, "In the future, please avoid seeing your questionable friends"?
(a) Colonel John Wilson.
(b) General Brehon Somervell.
(c) Colonel Boris Pash.
(d) Colonel Kenneth Nichols.
2. By what name did Dorothy McKibben's potential employer introduce himself when he interviewed with her at a Santa Fe hotel in March of 1943?
(a) Mr. Smith.
(b) Mr. Bradley.
(c) Mr. Anderson.
(d) Mr. Werner.
3. How old was Paul Tibbets in the summer of 1944?
4. On what date did Adolf Hitler commit suicide?
(a) March 13, 1945.
(b) September 1, 1945.
(c) April 12, 1945.
(d) April 30, 1945.
5. On what date was the first meeting of the physicists at the Los Alamos Ranch School?
(a) September 18, 1942.
(b) October 21, 1943.
(c) November 16, 1942.
(d) April 15, 1943.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the area at Los Alamos where Robert Oppenheimer lived?
2. Where was Paul Tibbets ordered to go to meet with Air Force General Uzal Ent in the summer of 1944?
3. How many workers were living in trailers around the erection of the secret plant in Oak Ridge, Tennessee, by early 1944?
4. What was the population of Santa Fe, New Mexico, in 1943?
5. Who was the Army Counter-Intelligence officer that questioned Paul Tibbets before he met with General Uzal Ent in the summer of 1944?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the Alsos mission evolve after Nazi Germany’s surrender?
2. What efforts were made to thwart rumors about the Los Alamos site?
3. What was Richard Feynman’s mission in Oak Ridge, Tennessee?
4. How is the death of President Franklin Roosevelt described in “Falling Stars”?
5. What was Dorothy McKibben’s job description at Los Alamos? What were her duties?
6. Who was William Laurence? Why was he in attendance at the Trinity Test?
7. What was the objective of the Alsos mission with Heisenberg?
8. With whom was Carl Eifler replaced in the mission regarding Heisenberg? Why was he replaced?
9. How and why did the plot to kidnap Werner Heisenberg arise?
10. What questions did Harry Truman pose regarding the Manhattan Project in 1945?
This section contains 841 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)