|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With whom did Knut Haukelid spend the winter in the mountains of Norway after the Vemork attack?
(a) Jens Poulsson.
(b) Richard Brennan.
(c) Klaus Fuchs.
(d) Arne Kjelstrup.
2. Who invited William Laurence to attend the test shot of the plutonium bomb?
(a) General Brehon Somervell.
(b) Colonel Kenneth Nichols.
(c) General Leslie Groves.
(d) Robert Oppenheimer.
3. What physicist was the scientific head of the Alsos mission?
(a) Samuel Goudsmit.
(b) Robert Serber.
(c) Jens Poulsson.
(d) Enrico Fermi.
4. Where was Moe Berg to attend a lecture by Werner Heisenberg for his mission?
(a) Cambridge University.
(b) The University of Bristol.
(c) Oxford University.
(d) Zurich University.
5. Where was the second secret plant developed to produce U-235?
(a) Roswell, New Mexico.
(b) Reno, Nevada.
(c) Malvern, Indiana.
(d) Hanford, Washington.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who offered Dorothy McKibben a secretarial job in March of 1943?
2. Who was the Army Chief of Staff in late 1943?
3. When did Klaus Fuchs sail for America to join the Manhattan Project?
4. Who was the leader of Hitler's bomb project during WWII?
5. How many people were saved by a rescue boat when the ferry carrying heavy water from the Vemork plant was bombed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What efforts were made to thwart rumors about the Los Alamos site?
2. What was Dorothy McKibben’s job description at Los Alamos? What were her duties?
3. Why was Colonel Paul Tibbets ordered to report to Colorado Springs in the summer of 1944?
4. How are the results of the Trinity Test described in the narrative?
5. How were the water barrels being transported from the Vemork plant in February of 1944? What was Haukelid’s mission?
6. How and why did the plot to kidnap Werner Heisenberg arise?
7. What did Oppenheimer expect to happen to the Manhattan Project after Germany’s surrender? Was he correct?
8. What conflict arose regarding Jean Tatlock between Groves and the Army CIC?
9. What questions did Harry Truman pose regarding the Manhattan Project in 1945?
10. With whom was Carl Eifler replaced in the mission regarding Heisenberg? Why was he replaced?
This section contains 843 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)