|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What training site did Paul Tibbets choose to work on his strategy for dropping an atomic bomb in 1944?
(a) Los Alamos, New Mexico.
(b) Malvern, Nebraska.
(c) Juneau, Alaska.
(d) Wendover, Utah.
2. What was the real name of the man that interviewed Dorothy McKibben for a job in Santa Fe in March of 1943?
(a) Robert Oppenheimer.
(b) General Brehon Somervell.
(c) Bob Wilson.
(d) Colonel John Wilson.
3. How heavy was the bomb that Haukelid planted on the ferry that was to transport the heavy water from the Vemork plant?
(a) 19 pounds.
(b) 8 pounds.
(c) 14 pounds.
(d) 30 pounds.
4. What was the name of the estate in England where the German scientists were taken after the European war ended?
(a) Werner House.
(b) The Icehouse.
(c) Farm Hall.
(d) Faulkner Hall.
5. Who was Robert Oppenheimer's former girlfriend whom he met in San Francisco on June 14, 1943?
(a) Ruth Werner.
(b) Jean Tatlock.
(c) Melba Phillips.
(d) Lise Meitner.
Short Answer Questions
1. What ship carried the uranium for its trip to Tinian?
2. What was the name of Paul Tibbets flying team that he developed in late 1944?
3. Who was the contact in New York that Saville Sax delivered Ted Hall's notes to in late 1944?
4. How many barrels of heavy water were loaded onto the ferry to be transported from the Vemork plant when Haukelid rigged a bomb on the ferry?
5. On what date did Harry Gold arrive in Santa Fe to meet with Klaus Fuchs?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Colonel Carl Eifler respond to his mission regarding Heisenberg?
2. How were the water barrels being transported from the Vemork plant in February of 1944? What was Haukelid’s mission?
3. What questions did Harry Truman pose regarding the Manhattan Project in 1945?
4. How did the residents in the surrounding areas of Los Alamos react to the project there when it began?
5. What efforts were made to thwart rumors about the Los Alamos site?
6. Who was Dorothy McKibben? How did she gain employment on the Manhattan Project?
7. How are the results of the Trinity Test described in the narrative?
8. What conflict arose regarding Jean Tatlock between Groves and the Army CIC?
9. What did Oppenheimer expect to happen to the Manhattan Project after Germany’s surrender? Was he correct?
10. How did the name “The Gadget” arise?
This section contains 898 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)