|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did Adolf Hitler launch a four-million man invasion across the Soviet border, despite his agreements not to do so?
(a) May, 1939.
(b) June, 1941.
(c) July, 1940.
(d) April, 1940.
2. On what date was Albert Einstein's letter to the U.S. President warning of Germany's development of an atomic bomb delivered?
(a) October 11, 1939.
(b) November 1, 1939.
(c) April 22, 1938.
(d) September 1, 1939.
3. How old was Jens Poulsson when he was chosen as the leader of a special mission to attack the Vemork power plant?
4. Where did Eugene Wigner and Leo Szilard find Albert Einstein in "Finding Einstein"?
(a) Peconic, New York.
(b) Princeton, New Jersey.
(c) New Paltz, New York.
(d) New Brunswick, New Jersey.
5. On what date did Robert Oppenheimer and Leslie Groves first visit the Los Alamos Ranch School to examine it as a site for testing?
(a) October 8, 1942.
(b) October 21, 1939.
(c) December 18, 1942.
(d) November 16, 1942.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Harry Gold travel to deliver the lab information to Soviet spies, according to the author in "Tradecraft"?
2. When did Robert Oppenheimer graduate from Harvard University?
3. What illness was responsible for Franklin Roosevelt's adult disability?
4. Who was Robert Oppenheimer's date whom the author describes him abandoning in "Skinny Superhero"?
5. Who convinced Richard Feynman to join in the Los Alamos project?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Knut Haukelid described in the narrative? Where was he trained?
2. What led to Franklin Roosevelt’s discovery of German atomic research? Who wrote to the President and what was suggested?
3. What was the first mission that Haukelid and Poulsson were assigned after training?
4. What led the Soviets to believe that the United States was making progress toward atomic weaponry, according to the author in “Enormoz”?
5. Who was Lise Meitner and what role did she play in the discovery of nuclear fission?
6. How would you describe Robert Oppenheimer’s loyalty to the U.S. in his work for the Manhattan Project?
7. What led to Harry Gold’s involvement in Soviet espionage? Who solicited Gold to inform for the Soviets?
8. Describe Otto Hahn’s experiment in December of 1938. What was discovered in Hahn’s experiment?
9. How did Robert Oppenheimer come to learn about Otto Hahn’s work in Germany?
10. How does the author describe surveillance of Communists in the U.S. in “Rapid Rupture”?
This section contains 849 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)