|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who delivered Albert Einstein's letter regarding the potential development of a German atomic bomb to the President of the United States?
(a) Robert Oppenheimer.
(b) Scott Miller.
(c) Alexander Sachs.
(d) Luis Alvarez.
2. In what year did the FBI open a file on Robert Oppenheimer?
3. What is the atomic number of uranium?
4. Where was Knut Haukelid born?
(a) Oslo, Norway.
(b) Paris, France.
(c) Chicago, Illinois.
(d) Brooklyn, New York.
5. On what date was Albert Einstein's letter to the U.S. President warning of Germany's development of an atomic bomb delivered?
(a) September 1, 1939.
(b) April 22, 1938.
(c) October 11, 1939.
(d) November 1, 1939.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Robert Oppenheimer's date whom the author describes him abandoning in "Skinny Superhero"?
2. In what year did Adolf Hitler annex Austria into his German Empire?
3. How old was Robert Oppenheimer when he first voted in a presidential election?
4. Who were the FBI agents at Harry Gold's door in the Prologue to Bomb?
5. Near what town was the Vemork power plant located?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was the compound at Los Alamos developed? Who came to the compound?
2. How would you describe Robert Oppenheimer’s loyalty to the U.S. in his work for the Manhattan Project?
3. Describe Otto Hahn’s experiment in December of 1938. What was discovered in Hahn’s experiment?
4. What happened when the FBI searched Harry Gold’s room in the Prologue to Bomb?
5. How did the KGB feel about Robert Oppenheimer and his position at the Manhattan Project?
6. How does the author describe surveillance of Communists in the U.S. in “Rapid Rupture”?
7. How is Robert Oppenheimer characterized as a professor in “Skinny Superhero”?
8. Who was chosen to be the scientific leader of the Manhattan Project in 1942? What reservations were expressed regarding this individual?
9. What led to Franklin Roosevelt’s discovery of German atomic research? Who wrote to the President and what was suggested?
10. How did Colonel Groves respond when his candidate for the leader of the Manhattan Project did not pass an army physical?
This section contains 816 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)