|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To where did Knut Haukelid take a train following the bombing of the ferry carrying heavy water from the Vemork plant?
2. When did Franklin D. Roosevelt die?
(a) September 1, 1945.
(b) April 12, 1945.
(c) February 21, 1945.
(d) December 18, 1944.
3. By what name did Dorothy McKibben's potential employer introduce himself when he interviewed with her at a Santa Fe hotel in March of 1943?
(a) Mr. Smith.
(b) Mr. Anderson.
(c) Mr. Werner.
(d) Mr. Bradley.
4. How many people were saved by a rescue boat when the ferry carrying heavy water from the Vemork plant was bombed?
5. What was the name of the horse that Robert Oppenheimer kept at Los Alamos?
6. What was Moe Berg's profession prior to his work for the OSS in World War II?
(a) He was a professional basketball player.
(b) He was a psychiatrist.
(c) He was a professional football player.
(d) He was a professional baseball player.
7. What ship carried the uranium for its trip to Tinian?
(a) The USS Manhattan.
(b) The USS Pittsburgh.
(c) The USS Indianapolis.
(d) The USS Cleveland.
8. What was the real name of the man that interviewed Dorothy McKibben for a job in Santa Fe in March of 1943?
(a) Bob Wilson.
(b) Robert Oppenheimer.
(c) Colonel John Wilson.
(d) General Brehon Somervell.
9. Who was the leader of Hitler's bomb project during WWII?
(a) Samuel Goudsmit.
(b) Kurt Diebner.
(c) Lewis Strauss.
(d) Arne Kjelstrup.
10. Who was the contact in New York that Saville Sax delivered Ted Hall's notes to in late 1944?
(a) Ruth Werner.
(b) Hans Bethe.
(c) Samuel Goudsmit.
(d) Anatoly Yatzkov.
11. Who was Robert Oppenheimer's former girlfriend whom he met in San Francisco on June 14, 1943?
(a) Melba Phillips.
(b) Lise Meitner.
(c) Jean Tatlock.
(d) Ruth Werner.
12. What was the population of Santa Fe, New Mexico, in 1943?
13. On what date did Moe Berg attend Werner Heisenberg's lecture for the Alsos mission?
(a) November 16, 1945.
(b) December 18, 1944.
(c) September 18, 1944.
(d) April 15, 1943.
14. Where was Paul Tibbets ordered to go to meet with Air Force General Uzal Ent in the summer of 1944?
(a) Colorado Springs, Colorado.
(b) Fort Bragg, California.
(c) Santa Fe, New Mexico.
(d) Spokane, Washington.
15. What was the name of the ferry boat that the Germans were using to transport heavy water from the Vemork plant?
(a) The Hydro.
(b) The Tiger.
(c) The Phantom.
(d) The Vesper.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Carl Eifler reassigned by OSS director General William Donovan in late 1944?
2. Who was the Army Counter-Intelligence officer that questioned Paul Tibbets before he met with General Uzal Ent in the summer of 1944?
3. What aircraft was Paul Tibbets helping the U.S. develop as a test pilot in the summer of 1944?
4. Whose idea was it initially for the Americans to kidnap Werner Heisenberg?
5. How old was Igor Kurchatov when he was put in charge of building a Soviet atomic weapon?
This section contains 466 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)