|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who did Peter Ivanov send to talk to Robert Oppenheimer and feel out his Communist sensibilities at Berkeley?
(a) Jens Poulsson.
(b) Alexander Sachs.
(c) Richard Brennan.
(d) George Eltenton.
2. Who delivered Albert Einstein's letter regarding the potential development of a German atomic bomb to the President of the United States?
(a) Luis Alvarez.
(b) Robert Oppenheimer.
(c) Alexander Sachs.
(d) Scott Miller.
3. Why did Winston Churchill and Franklin Roosevelt agree to combine their resources and work on atomic weapons in the United States?
(a) Because Britain was about to ally with Germany.
(b) Because Britain was inundated with Soviet spies.
(c) Because the United States had the advantage of top scientists.
(d) Because Britain was under attack from German bombers.
4. When was Harry Gold born?
(a) December 11, 1910.
(b) May 22, 1915.
(c) July 7, 1917.
(d) March 29, 1908.
5. Where did Eugene Wigner and Leo Szilard find Albert Einstein in "Finding Einstein"?
(a) New Paltz, New York.
(b) Princeton, New Jersey.
(c) New Brunswick, New Jersey.
(d) Peconic, New York.
6. How old was Jens Poulsson when he was chosen as the leader of a special mission to attack the Vemork power plant?
7. What does S.O.E. stand for?
(a) Special Operations Executive.
(b) Selective Operations Establishment.
(c) Secret Operations Entity.
(d) Special Ordinance Elective.
8. Where did Harry Gold travel to deliver the lab information to Soviet spies, according to the author in "Tradecraft"?
(a) Jersey City.
(b) New York.
9. Where had Knut Haukelid been fighting the Germans in a resistance movement when he was met by British officers in "International Gangster School"?
10. When did Robert Oppenheimer abandon his date in a car, according to the author in "Skinny Superhero"?
(a) July, 1941.
(b) March, 1932.
(c) September, 1933.
(d) February, 1934.
11. What date is described in the Prologue of Bomb?
(a) September 18, 1951.
(b) July 12, 1945.
(c) November 1, 1952.
(d) May 22, 1950.
12. What illness was responsible for Franklin Roosevelt's adult disability?
13. In what year did Adolf Hitler annex Austria into his German Empire?
14. On what date did General Groves first meet Robert Oppenheimer?
(a) October 21, 1939.
(b) October 8, 1942.
(c) June 19, 1942.
(d) September 18, 1942.
15. When did German forces capture Norway and Denmark during World War II?
(a) July, 1940.
(b) March, 1941.
(c) May, 1939.
(d) April, 1940.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what date did Hitler's Germany launch a massive invasion of Poland?
2. How old was Robert Oppenheimer when he first voted in a presidential election?
3. What building had Colonel Leslie Groves overseen the construction of before he was selected to oversee the bomb project?
4. Where was Donald Hornig studying chemistry when he was offered a confidential job by his lab instructor?
5. When General Groves first met with the Uranium Committee members in Chicago, how much uranium did they tell him it would take to make an atomic bomb?
This section contains 458 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)