|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Boesman say that the "kaffirs" come here to do?
2. What does Lena say that Boesman gets when other people laugh at him beating her?
3. What language to Boesman and Lena speak?
4. What is the translation for "dog" in Africaan?
5. What does Lena clean from her toes?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Boesman accuse Lena of doing with Outa?
2. What does Lena say about the birds?
3. What is the hypocrisy in Boesman's refusal to give Outa water?
4. What does Boesman do to the body when Lena goads him to anger?
5. What has Lena been looking for all morning? Why?
6. Describe Lena's appearance. What does she wear? How old is she?
7. What leads to Lena's dancing once Boesman's gone inside the shanty?
8. What makes Lena change her mind about leaving with Boesman?
9. What does Boesman seem to enjoy in Lena's behavior? How do we know?
10. What is the irony of Boesman's behavior toward Outa?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the word "identity." What characters search for their identity in Boesman and Lena? How?
Essay Topic 2
What other playwrights influenced Athol Fugard in the writing of Boesman and Lena? What genre of theater was this style?
Essay Topic 3
How does Boesman's treatment of Outa reflect the white man's treatment of him? Why does he act in the way he does?
This section contains 597 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)