|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Boesman say that the "kaffirs" come here to do?
2. Boesman tells Lena to tell the old man what?
3. What does Boesman say that Outa will do?
4. How much were the bottles worth that were broken?
5. What does Boesman do with the piece of corrugated iron?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Lena feel about Boesman's sudden talkativeness in Act 2?
2. Why have Boesman and Lena left their home?
3. Describe the character of Outa. Where do Lena and Boesman see him?
4. Why did Boesman beat Lena this morning? Why did he stop?
5. What does Boesman seem to enjoy in Lena's behavior? How do we know?
6. What had Boesman wanted to tell Lena that morning?
7. How does Lena convince Boesman to let Outa stay?
8. What leads to Lena's dancing once Boesman's gone inside the shanty?
9. Why did Boesman laugh at the bulldozers this morning?
10. What has Lena been looking for all morning? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the primary themes of Boesman and Lena? What are some ways that Fugard expresses them? Use the definition of theme in your answer.
Essay Topic 2
How does Boesman and Lena present "the future?" Is this a hopeful play or a nihilistic one? Why?
Essay Topic 3
What emotions and frustrations lie behind Boesman's violence and abuse toward Lena? Cite where this explained in the text.
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)