|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Boesman laugh at Lena for?
2. What is "soeterigheid"?
3. Why did Boesman beat Lena this morning?
4. What does "oppas" mean?
5. What is "Swartkops?"
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Boesman happy about when the village was razed?
2. How does Outa communicate with Boesman and Lena?
3. Describe the character of Outa. Where do Lena and Boesman see him?
4. What leads to Lena's dancing once Boesman's gone inside the shanty?
5. What does Boesman accuse Lena of doing with Outa?
6. What is Lena's reaction to Boesman's leaving?
7. Why does Lena want Outa to stay?
8. Why does Boesman believe that he admitted his fault earlier in the day?
9. How does Boesman react to Lena's plan to sleep in the shanty?
10. Why did Boesman laugh at the bulldozers this morning?
Essay Topic 1
Describe the word "racism." What does this word mean to you? What does it mean in the play?
Essay Topic 2
What emotions and frustrations lie behind Boesman's violence and abuse toward Lena? Cite where this explained in the text.
Essay Topic 3
Why did the white men bulldoze Boesman and Lena's village? What happened to the people there?
This section contains 589 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)