|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does "kaalgat" mean?
2. What is the translation for "dop"?
3. What does Lena ask Boesman for before making the fire?
4. What is the translation for "dog" in Africaan?
5. What does Lena say there's never enough of to sleep at night?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Boesman laugh at the bulldozers this morning?
2. Describe the relationship between Boesman and Lena.
3. What does Lena say about Boesman's search for Freedom?
4. What did Boesman do to Lena earlier in the day?
5. Why did Boesman beat Lena this morning? Why did he stop?
6. How does Lena feel about where they've stopped for the night?
7. What is Lena carrying when she enters? How does she carry it?
8. What would Lena do if her name were Mary?
9. Why does Lena talk so much?
10. What does Boesman tell Lena regarding the past?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the primary themes of Boesman and Lena? What are some ways that Fugard expresses them? Use the definition of theme in your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the word "identity." What characters search for their identity in Boesman and Lena? How?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the word "freedom" and what it means in the context of Boesman and Lena. What term discussed in class would this word fall under?
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)