|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Boesman do to prove Lena wrong in Act 1?
2. Fill in the blank: "Once you've put your _____ on your head and walked you never get light again."
3. What happened before when Lena went to the police for Boesman beating her?
4. What is "Swartkops?"
5. How does Boesman carry his load?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Lena's reaction to Boesman's leaving?
2. What does Boesman tell Lena as they leave?
3. Why did Boesman laugh at the bulldozers this morning?
4. What had Boesman wanted to tell Lena that morning?
5. Why does Boesman believe that he admitted his fault earlier in the day?
6. What has Lena been looking for all morning? Why?
7. What does Lena do when Boesman begins to pack up the belongings to leave?
8. What does Boesman tell Lena regarding the past?
9. What leads to Lena's dancing once Boesman's gone inside the shanty?
10. How does Lena feel about where they've stopped for the night?
Essay Topic 1
How does the South African system of apartheid affect the plot of Boesman and Lena?
Essay Topic 2
How did Athol Fugard hope to use theater as a means to change the society in which he lived? Was he successful?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the word "racism." What does this word mean to you? What does it mean in the play?
This section contains 1,029 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)