|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lena say she hates in the beginning of Act 1?
2. Who says, "You don't like it when somebody else laughs. Well, you laughed at me for nothing"?
3. What is the translation for "dog" in Africaan?
4. What does Lena accuse Boesman of being?
5. What does Boesman do with the piece of corrugated iron?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Lena initially react to Boesman's truth about the bottles?
2. What are some of the places Boesman and Lena have traveled? Why?
3. What does Boesman accuse Lena of doing with Outa?
4. What is the hypocrisy in Boesman's refusal to give Outa water?
5. What has Lena been looking for all morning? Why?
6. How does Outa communicate with Boesman and Lena?
7. Why does Lena want to know where they've traveled?
8. What does Lena ask to drink from Boesman? What word is this in Afrikaan? In English?
9. What does Boesman do to the body when Lena goads him to anger?
10. Describe Boesman's appearance. What is he wearing? How old does he appear?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why did the white men bulldoze Boesman and Lena's village? What happened to the people there?
Essay Topic 2
How does Boesman and Lena present "the future?" Is this a hopeful play or a nihilistic one? Why?
Essay Topic 3
What purpose does the character Outa serve to the action and plot of the play? How does he affect the other characters?
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)