|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the translation for "dop"?
2. What does Lena meet the memory of on the old roads?
3. Why did Boesman beat Lena this morning?
4. What does Boesman do to the old man while Lena is looking for shelter materials?
5. How does Boesman carry his load?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Lena's appearance. What does she wear? How old is she?
2. What leads to Lena's dancing once Boesman's gone inside the shanty?
3. What does Lena say about the birds?
4. What does Boesman seem to enjoy in Lena's behavior? How do we know?
5. How have the tables turned between Boesman and Lena after Outa's death?
6. Why have Boesman and Lena left their home?
7. When Boesman returns from gathering shelter, what does he suspect Lena's been doing? Why?
8. What does Boesman figure out about who they are in relation to the white man?
9. What is Lena carrying when she enters? How does she carry it?
10. What does Lena associate Boesman's predicament after Outa's death with?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Boesman and Lena present "the future?" Is this a hopeful play or a nihilistic one? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Lena talk to herself? What are her fears and desires?
Essay Topic 3
What are some motifs and symbols in Boesman and Lena? How does the author use these motifs to express the themes?
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)