|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Boesman dragging along the ground in Act 1?
2. Who does Lena say Boesman worked for when they had a "real house"?
3. How old are Lena and Boesman?
4. Why did Boesman beat Lena this morning?
5. What does Lena say about Boesman's heart?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Lena ask the white family? What did they respond?
2. Why did Boesman beat Lena this morning? Why did he stop?
3. When Boesman returns from gathering shelter, what does he suspect Lena's been doing? Why?
4. What does Boesman figure out about who they are in relation to the white man?
5. What does Lena say about Boesman's search for Freedom?
6. How does Boesman react to Lena's plan to sleep in the shanty?
7. What does Lena ask to drink from Boesman? What word is this in Afrikaan? In English?
8. What was Boesman happy about when the village was razed?
9. Why does Lena want Outa to stay?
10. What does Lena say about the birds?
Essay Topic 1
Describe the different delineations of race and social status under South African apartheid. What classes had the most privilege? How were the individuals regulated?
Essay Topic 2
How does Boesman and Lena present "the future?" Is this a hopeful play or a nihilistic one? Why?
Essay Topic 3
What are the primary themes of Boesman and Lena? What are some ways that Fugard expresses them? Use the definition of theme in your answer.
This section contains 1,050 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)