|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Boesman do to prove Lena wrong in Act 1?
2. What followed Lena all the way back to Korsten?
3. Who says, "I want my life. Where is it"?
4. What does Boesman complain that Lena does?
5. What does Boesman say Lena will do when she's "had enough of this"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Boesman admit in Act 2 to Lena?
2. What does Lena associate Boesman's predicament after Outa's death with?
3. Why does Boesman not assist Lena in taking care of Outa's body?
4. What did Lena ask the white family? What did they respond?
5. How does Lena feel about Boesman's sudden talkativeness in Act 2?
6. What does Lena say about the birds?
7. What does Boesman say about dead men? Why does he not want Outa's body at the camp?
8. What had Boesman wanted to tell Lena that morning?
9. What leads to Lena's dancing once Boesman's gone inside the shanty?
10. What does Boesman tell Lena as they leave?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the primary themes of Boesman and Lena? What are some ways that Fugard expresses them? Use the definition of theme in your answer.
Essay Topic 2
How is the character Outa different than Boesman and Lena? How does his outward appearance affect his social standing?
Essay Topic 3
What other playwrights influenced Athol Fugard in the writing of Boesman and Lena? What genre of theater was this style?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)