|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old are Lena and Boesman?
2. What does "Waar kry jy seer" mean?
3. What does Lena say that many of Outa's kind have given her and Boesman along the road?
4. What does Boesman do to the old man while Lena is looking for shelter materials?
5. How does Lena carry her belongings?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the irony of Boesman's behavior toward Outa?
2. Describe Lena's appearance. What does she wear? How old is she?
3. What is the sense of hope at the end of the play? What is the sense of hopelessness?
4. What does Boesman say about dead men? Why does he not want Outa's body at the camp?
5. What does Boesman do to the body when Lena goads him to anger?
6. What does Boesman tell Lena as they leave?
7. What is the irony of Boesman's tirade at the camp before he leaves?
8. How does Boesman appear as he leaves the camp? How does Boesman's physical demeanor reflect his internal turmoil?
9. Why does Lena long for the days when Boesman worked for the Chinaman?
10. Why does Lena want Outa to stay?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did Athol Fugard hope to use theater as a means to change the society in which he lived? Was he successful?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the changes in race relations in South Africa in the 1960s versus today. How have things changed? Is there still bigotry in this country?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the word "freedom" and what it means in the context of Boesman and Lena. What term discussed in class would this word fall under?
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)