|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says, "I want my life. Where is it"?
2. Which character says, "I know I'm here now. Why? Look at it, for God's sake. Is this the best you could do"?
3. Which male character in the play is referred to as "colored"?
4. Who chased Boesman and Lena off their land?
5. What is Lena referring to when she says, "Take your sack, knock on some back doors and it's full in no time"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Lena's appearance. What does she wear? How old is she?
2. What does Lena hate about the night?
3. What does Lena say about the birds?
4. Why does Lena long for the days when Boesman worked for the Chinaman?
5. What leads to Lena's dancing once Boesman's gone inside the shanty?
6. What is the hypocrisy in Boesman's refusal to give Outa water?
7. Describe the character of Outa. Where do Lena and Boesman see him?
8. How does Lena feel about Boesman's sudden talkativeness in Act 2?
9. What did Lena ask the white family? What did they respond?
10. What does Boesman say about the scene in the morning?
Essay Topic 1
Why does Lena talk to herself? What are her fears and desires?
Essay Topic 2
What are some motifs and symbols in Boesman and Lena? How does the author use these motifs to express the themes?
Essay Topic 3
How does Boesman's treatment of Outa reflect the white man's treatment of him? Why does he act in the way he does?
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)