|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does "vrot ou huisie vir die grot mens" mean?
2. What did the white man do to Lena and Boesman's village?
3. How old are Lena and Boesman?
4. What language does Outa speak?
5. How much were the bottles worth that were broken?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Lena's appearance. What does she wear? How old is she?
2. What leads to Lena's dancing once Boesman's gone inside the shanty?
3. What did Lena ask the white family? What did they respond?
4. How does Boesman appear as he leaves the camp? How does Boesman's physical demeanor reflect his internal turmoil?
5. Describe the character of Outa. Where do Lena and Boesman see him?
6. What are some of the places Boesman and Lena have traveled? Why?
7. What had Boesman wanted to tell Lena that morning?
8. Why does Boesman not assist Lena in taking care of Outa's body?
9. When Boesman returns from gathering shelter, what does he suspect Lena's been doing? Why?
10. What does Boesman say that the police do when Lena tries to stop him from beating her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the word "racism." What does this word mean to you? What does it mean in the play?
Essay Topic 2
What is the climax of Boesman and Lena? Describe how the plot progresses in the play.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characters Boesman and Lena. How are they similar? How are they different?
This section contains 1,026 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)