|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lena say that the tea is?
2. What is the translation for "dog" in Africaan?
3. What did Lena ask the white family if they needed?
4. Why did Boesman beat Lena this morning?
5. What does Boesman say that Outa will do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Lena want Outa to stay?
2. How does Outa communicate with Boesman and Lena?
3. What does Lena ask to drink from Boesman? What word is this in Afrikaan? In English?
4. What is Lena's reaction to Boesman's leaving?
5. How does Boesman react to Lena's plan to sleep in the shanty?
6. When Boesman returns from gathering shelter, what does he suspect Lena's been doing? Why?
7. Describe the character of Outa. Where do Lena and Boesman see him?
8. Why does Boesman believe that he admitted his fault earlier in the day?
9. What is Boesman's primary complaint against Lena? Why?
10. Why have Boesman and Lena left their home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the word "racism." What does this word mean to you? What does it mean in the play?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the word "identity." What characters search for their identity in Boesman and Lena? How?
Essay Topic 3
What are some motifs and symbols in Boesman and Lena? How does the author use these motifs to express the themes?
This section contains 608 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)