|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lena clean from her toes?
2. What is a pondok?
3. What does Boesman say Lena will do when she's "had enough of this"?
4. What does Boesman complain that Lena does?
5. What does Lena tell Outa she's not so good at?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the sense of hope at the end of the play? What is the sense of hopelessness?
2. What does Boesman say about the scene in the morning?
3. What does Lena associate Boesman's predicament after Outa's death with?
4. How does Boesman appear as he leaves the camp? How does Boesman's physical demeanor reflect his internal turmoil?
5. What does Boesman figure out about who they are in relation to the white man?
6. What is Lena's reaction to Boesman's treatment of Outa's body?
7. What does Lena do when Boesman begins to pack up the belongings to leave?
8. What does Lena ask to drink from Boesman? What word is this in Afrikaan? In English?
9. Why does Boesman not assist Lena in taking care of Outa's body?
10. Why did Boesman laugh at the bulldozers this morning?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the South African system of apartheid affect the plot of Boesman and Lena?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the characters Boesman and Lena. How are they similar? How are they different?
Essay Topic 3
What are some motifs and symbols in Boesman and Lena? How does the author use these motifs to express the themes?
This section contains 1,129 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)