|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lena ask Boesman for before making the fire?
2. What does "vrot ou huisie vir die grot mens" mean?
3. What does Boesman say that Outa will do?
4. What does Lena tell Outa she's not so good at?
5. What does Lena do after Boesman returns from getting shelter materials?
Short Essay Questions
1. What had Boesman wanted to tell Lena that morning?
2. What does Boesman accuse Lena of doing with Outa?
3. Why did Boesman laugh at the bulldozers this morning?
4. How does Boesman realize that Outa is dead?
5. What does Boesman say about the scene in the morning?
6. Why does Lena want to know where they've traveled?
7. What is Lena carrying when she enters? How does she carry it?
8. What does Boesman admit in Act 2 to Lena?
9. What does Boesman tell Lena as they leave?
10. What does Boesman do as Lena's working out their past route? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the different delineations of race and social status under South African apartheid. What classes had the most privilege? How were the individuals regulated?
Essay Topic 2
How does Boesman and Lena present "the future?" Is this a hopeful play or a nihilistic one? Why?
Essay Topic 3
What are the primary themes of Boesman and Lena? What are some ways that Fugard expresses them? Use the definition of theme in your answer.
This section contains 641 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)