|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lena say she'll do once she's got a new name?
2. Who says, "I want my life. Where is it"?
3. What does Lena say that the tea is?
4. What does Lena give to Outa after he sits?
5. What did the white man do to Lena and Boesman's village?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Boesman realize that Outa is dead?
2. What would Lena do if her name were Mary?
3. What is Boesman doing at the beginning of Act 2? Why?
4. What does Lena hate about the night?
5. What is Lena carrying when she enters? How does she carry it?
6. Describe the relationship between Boesman and Lena.
7. Describe Lena's appearance. What does she wear? How old is she?
8. What does Boesman do to the body when Lena goads him to anger?
9. Why does Lena want Outa to stay?
10. What does Boesman figure out about who they are in relation to the white man?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Boesman and Lena present "the future?" Is this a hopeful play or a nihilistic one? Why?
Essay Topic 2
What other playwrights influenced Athol Fugard in the writing of Boesman and Lena? What genre of theater was this style?
Essay Topic 3
What emotions and frustrations lie behind Boesman's violence and abuse toward Lena? Cite where this explained in the text.
This section contains 1,069 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)