|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Lena ask the white family if they needed?
2. What does Lena carry under her arm?
3. Who says, "I thought you knew. One day you're going to ask me who you are"?
4. What is Lena referring to when she says, "Take your sack, knock on some back doors and it's full in no time"?
5. What does "donnered" mean?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lena hate about the night?
2. What makes Lena change her mind about leaving with Boesman?
3. What does Lena ask to drink from Boesman? What word is this in Afrikaan? In English?
4. Describe the relationship between Boesman and Lena.
5. Why does Lena want to know where they've traveled?
6. What does Boesman tell Lena as they leave?
7. Describe the character of Outa. Where do Lena and Boesman see him?
8. How does Boesman react to Lena's plan to sleep in the shanty?
9. What is Boesman doing at the beginning of Act 2? Why?
10. What does Boesman think about Outa?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What other playwrights influenced Athol Fugard in the writing of Boesman and Lena? What genre of theater was this style?
Essay Topic 2
What are some motifs and symbols in Boesman and Lena? How does the author use these motifs to express the themes?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the word "racism." What does this word mean to you? What does it mean in the play?
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)