|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Afrikaan word "maer" mean?
2. What does Lena do after Boesman returns from getting shelter materials?
3. What language does Outa speak?
4. Who says, "I want my life. Where is it"?
5. How does Boesman carry his load?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Outa communicate with Boesman and Lena?
2. Why does Lena talk so much?
3. What is the hypocrisy in Boesman's refusal to give Outa water?
4. What does Boesman say about dead men? Why does he not want Outa's body at the camp?
5. When Boesman returns from gathering shelter, what does he suspect Lena's been doing? Why?
6. What does Boesman say about the scene in the morning?
7. Why did Boesman laugh at the bulldozers this morning?
8. Why does Boesman not assist Lena in taking care of Outa's body?
9. What does Boesman do as Lena's working out their past route? Why?
10. What is the sense of hope at the end of the play? What is the sense of hopelessness?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is the character Outa different than Boesman and Lena? How does his outward appearance affect his social standing?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Lena talk to herself? What are her fears and desires?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characters Boesman and Lena. How are they similar? How are they different?
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)