|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Lena referring to when she says, "Take your sack, knock on some back doors and it's full in no time"?
2. Who goes into the shelter at the end of Act 1?
3. What does "vrot ou huisie vir die grot mens" mean?
(a) A way home.
(b) Another rotten house for rotten people.
(c) Another homeless man.
(d) Another roadside attraction.
4. What did Lena find when she went into the dark to find shelter materials?
(a) A blanket.
(b) A few bottles.
(c) A few pieces of wood.
(d) A piece of iron.
5. What did Lena ask the white family if they needed?
(a) Broken bottles.
(b) A blanket.
(c) A maid.
(d) A kitten.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which male character in the play is referred to as "colored"?
2. What does Boesman say Lena will do when she's "had enough of this"?
3. What does Boesman laugh at Lena for?
4. What is Boesman dragging along the ground in Act 1?
5. What does "kaalgat" mean?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Lena initially react to Boesman's truth about the bottles?
2. Describe the character of Outa. Where do Lena and Boesman see him?
3. Why have Boesman and Lena left their home?
4. What did Boesman do to Lena earlier in the day?
5. What does Boesman tell Lena as they leave?
6. What would Lena do if her name were Mary?
7. What is Lena carrying when she enters? How does she carry it?
8. What has Lena been looking for all morning? Why?
9. What does Boesman figure out about who they are in relation to the white man?
10. What does Boesman do as Lena's working out their past route? Why?
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)