|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the two white children come to watch Lena count this morning?
(a) Her scabs.
(b) Her bruises.
(c) Her fleas.
(d) Her bottles.
2. What language does Outa speak?
3. What does Boesman do with the piece of corrugated iron?
(a) Builds a lean-to.
(b) Uses it for the fire.
(c) Hits Lena.
(d) Makes a trap with it.
4. What does Lena accuse Boesman of being?
(d) Too slow.
5. Boesman tells Lena to tell the old man what?
(a) To stay.
(b) To go.
(c) To cook.
(d) To buy wine.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lena say that many of Outa's kind have given her and Boesman along the road?
2. What is a pondok?
3. What does Boesman do to the old man while Lena is looking for shelter materials?
4. What does Lena say she'll do once she's got a new name?
5. Why did Boesman beat Lena this morning?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is it that astounds Boesman and Lena about Outa's death?
2. Why does Lena want to know where they've traveled?
3. What does Lena say about Boesman's search for Freedom?
4. What does Lena ask to drink from Boesman? What word is this in Afrikaan? In English?
5. What is the irony of Boesman's behavior toward Outa?
6. What would Lena do if her name were Mary?
7. How does Boesman realize that Outa is dead?
8. What does Lena do when Boesman begins to pack up the belongings to leave?
9. What is Lena's reaction to Boesman's leaving?
10. Describe the character of Outa. Where do Lena and Boesman see him?
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)