|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Boesman dragging along the ground in Act 1?
(a) A mattress.
(b) Cooking utensils.
(c) A blanket.
(d) A piece of currugated iron.
2. What does Lena say that Boesman gets when other people laugh at him beating her?
3. What did Lena ask the white family if they needed?
(a) A maid.
(b) A blanket.
(c) A kitten.
(d) Broken bottles.
4. What is "Jou moer!"?
(a) An obscenity.
(b) An endearment.
(c) A sound of relief.
(d) A pleasant greeting.
5. What does "skof" mean?
(b) To walk.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lena meet the memory of on the old roads?
2. What does Lena use to block the fire from the wind?
3. How does Lena carry her belongings?
4. What does Lena share with Outa?
5. Which male character in the play is referred to as "colored"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is it that astounds Boesman and Lena about Outa's death?
2. Describe the character of Outa. Where do Lena and Boesman see him?
3. What does Boesman accuse Lena of doing with Outa?
4. Why have Boesman and Lena left their home?
5. How does Boesman react to Lena's plan to sleep in the shanty?
6. What is Lena's reaction to Boesman's leaving?
7. Describe Lena's appearance. What does she wear? How old is she?
8. What leads to Lena's dancing once Boesman's gone inside the shanty?
9. What is the sense of hope at the end of the play? What is the sense of hopelessness?
10. What would Lena do if her name were Mary?
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)