|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Lena referring to when she says, "Take your sack, knock on some back doors and it's full in no time"?
2. What is a pondok?
(a) A battlefield.
(b) A prison.
(c) A shack.
(d) A church.
3. What does "Babalas" mean?
(b) Drunken stupor.
(c) Hysterical laughter.
4. What does Lena keep trying to figure out during Act 1?
(a) The order of where they've been.
(b) Why the fire won't start.
(c) Where her dog has gone.
(d) Why Boesman is so kind to her.
5. What did the two white children come to watch Lena count this morning?
(a) Her bottles.
(b) Her scabs.
(c) Her bruises.
(d) Her fleas.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does "donnered" mean?
2. What does Boesman laugh at Lena for?
3. What does Lena do after Boesman returns from getting shelter materials?
4. What does Boesman complain that Lena does?
5. Who does Lena say Boesman worked for when they had a "real house"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Boesman react to Lena's plan to sleep in the shanty?
2. What does Boesman figure out about who they are in relation to the white man?
3. What is Lena's reaction to Boesman's leaving?
4. What does Boesman do as Lena's working out their past route? Why?
5. What does Boesman say about dead men? Why does he not want Outa's body at the camp?
6. What did Boesman do to Lena earlier in the day?
7. Describe Lena's appearance. What does she wear? How old is she?
8. How have the tables turned between Boesman and Lena after Outa's death?
9. What is the hypocrisy in Boesman's refusal to give Outa water?
10. How does Lena convince Boesman to let Outa stay?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)