|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happened to Lena's firewood?
(a) They used it all.
(b) It got wet.
(c) It crumbled.
(d) It was stolen.
2. What does Lena tell Boesman that he will "know what it feels like"?
(a) Hanging for beating her.
(b) Being punished for something you didn't do.
(c) Being punished for killing a man.
(d) Being beaten.
3. How much time passes between Act 1 and Act 2?
(a) Two days.
(b) One hour.
(c) Two hours.
(d) One night.
4. Where did the child die?
5. What is a dronkie?
(a) Black person.
(d) Old person.
6. What does Lena plan on digging for tomorrow?
7. What does Boesman pass to Lena when she walks back to him?
(a) The blanket.
(b) The wood.
(c) The bucket.
(d) The mattress.
8. What does "vlenterbroek" mean?
(a) Old men.
(b) Dead dogs.
(c) Torn trousers.
(d) Broken bottles.
9. What did the people scramble back to their shanties to gather?
10. What did Lena call the dog?
11. What does the phrase, "Die geraas van 'n vervloekte lewe" mean?
(a) The dog is howling like wind.
(b) The last man laughing.
(c) The noise of a cursed life.
(d) The trees are whispering.
12. What does the phrase "pap ou borste, ribbetjies" mean?
(a) Looking eastward, towards home.
(b) Wandering slowly, in the night.
(c) Shrunken breasts, thin ribs.
(d) Fat and surly man.
13. Who says, "Can't we say goodbye? We'll have to do it one day. It's not for ever. Come on. Let's say it now. Goodbye!"?
14. Fill in the blank: "That's not a pondok, Boesman. It's a _____."
15. What does "baas" mean?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Boesman say the dead man is?
2. Who says, "We're the whiteman's rubbish. That's why he's so beneukt with us. He can't get rid of his rubbish"?
3. What do people like Lena and Boesman do with the White Man's rubbish?
4. What does the word "naar" mean?
5. What is Boesman talking about when he says, "web wereld, kom brandewyn"?
This section contains 353 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)