|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the setting for the stage in Boesman and Lena?
(a) Bare stage.
(b) The backdrop of the city.
(c) Red curtains and red floor.
(d) The backdrop of a village.
2. What does the phrase "pap ou borste, ribbetjies" mean?
(a) Wandering slowly, in the night.
(b) Looking eastward, towards home.
(c) Fat and surly man.
(d) Shrunken breasts, thin ribs.
3. What does Lena say to Boesman about the next time he wants to kill her?
(a) To kill himself.
(b) To find someone else.
(c) To really do it.
(d) To leave.
4. What does Boesman imitate to irritate Lena?
(b) A ghost.
(d) The dog.
5. What does "vies" mean?
6. What does Boesman accuse Lena of doing with the old man?
(a) Cursing him.
(b) Cheating on him with him.
(c) Nursing him.
(d) Slapping him.
7. What does Lena call Boesman for what he does to the shelter?
(a) A Kaffir.
(b) A monster.
(c) A bulldozer.
(d) A pig.
8. What does "vlenterbroek" mean?
(a) Broken bottles.
(b) Old men.
(c) Dead dogs.
(d) Torn trousers.
9. What is a dronkie?
(b) Old person.
(d) Black person.
10. What does the phrase, "Die geraas van 'n vervloekte lewe" mean?
(a) The noise of a cursed life.
(b) The dog is howling like wind.
(c) The trees are whispering.
(d) The last man laughing.
11. To whom does Lena say, "Why the hell you do it so soon? There's things I didn't tell you, man. And now this as well"?
12. What did Lena do to the dog when Boesman wasn't looking?
(a) Fed it.
(b) Killed it.
(c) Beat it.
(d) Sold it.
13. What does Boesman compare the people crawling out of "their holes" to?
14. What does Lena tell the dead man is still happening before his eyes?
(a) The tears.
(b) Her life.
(c) His life.
(d) The world.
15. How does Lena know the old man died?
(a) He let go of her hand.
(b) He cried.
(c) He kissed her goodbye.
(d) He said farewell.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says, "There's only me. All you've got is me and I'm saying 'Sies!'"?
2. Who says, "When you make a hole in your face the noise that comes out is as good as nothing, because nobody hears it"?
3. Who says, "This is the time and place. To hell with the others. They're finished, and mixed up anyway"?
4. What does Lena refer to as "Happy Christmas, Happy New Year, Happy Birthday"?
5. What does Boesman do to the shelter when Lena says she'll sleep there tonight?
This section contains 424 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)